Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I already asked this on another thread. What are they going to do with the safes??? I know that they are giving passengers monetary compensations, but if they can recover the safes, are they going to return the valuables to their owners??? I'm just curious...

Costa stated early on after the tragedy that anything that can be recovered will be recovered & returned to their owners (or families), but that will probably have to wait until the later stages when the ship has been removed.

Costa stated early on after the tragedy that anything that can be recovered will be recovered & returned to their owners (or families), but that will probably have to wait until the later stages when the ship has been removed.
Wonder if they'll be as quick to retrieve the passengers' belongings as they were with Ms. Cemortan's? The magazine Oggi somehow got a hold of the investigator's photos....:eek:

http://www.oggi.it/focus/gallery/domnica-cemortan-ecco-il-contenuto-della-sua-valigia/?pid=10217

Wonder if they'll be as quick to retrieve the passengers' belongings as they were with Ms. Cemortan's? The magazine Oggi somehow got a hold of the investigator's photos....:eek:

http://www.oggi.it/focus/gallery/domnica-cemortan-ecco-il-contenuto-della-sua-valigia/?pid=10217

Hhmm. She had lots of pix with her of the Cap'n. Didn't notice one of a (her) child tho it could be possible that was left out.

Do you think Domnica is desperate to recover those little nothings from "Fredricka's of Moscow" ?

John :p

I read recently, about him writing a book. Supposedly he's already started it. Maybe he has to write it fast, so he can collect before he goes to jail. It would be another shame for him to profit from this tragedy. But guess it's to be expected.

Edited by GranysT

I heard the title was going to be 'Domnica, my part in her downfall' :):) He did have alternative titles, Barnacle scrapping for fools and Navigation for plonkers !!!

:):)

(Maybe that should be 'Donmica, her part in my downfall') lol

Edited by Davyjonesrugrat

I heard the title was going to be 'Domnica, my part in her downfall' :):) He did have alternative titles, Barnacle scrapping for fools and Navigation for plonkers !!!

:):)

I almost afraid to ask. What's the term "plonker" mean? Is it a Brit euphanism?

John

An idiot, a person with little or no knowledge/common sense...........

lol

:)

That's a relief. I'm always afraid to ask the definition of terms used by other English speaking countries because I'm accutely aware of the fact that the USA has given the world two expressions that are now used around the globe regardless of language.

One of those expressions is: "OK" :D

I can't seem to recall the other one. :p

John

So Costa is giving survivors a mere $14,000

Here is the claim from passenger Molly Brown who was on the Titanic.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/museum-sheds-light-on-unsinkable-molly-brown-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Fmuseum-sheds-light-on-unsinkable-molly-brown-slideshow%252Fmarch-19-2012-photo-insurance-claim-filed-molly-photo-165908987.html

Total: $27,947 (and this is from 1912 - I wonder what that is in 2012 dollars).

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/museum-sheds-light-on-unsinkable-molly-brown-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Fmuseum-sheds-light-on-unsinkable-molly-brown-slideshow%252Fmarch-19-2012-photo-insurance-claim-filed-molly-photo-165908987.html

That is the insurance claim and not what was offered by White Star Lines. A huge percentage of that claim is for a necklace worth $20,000. Looking at the numbers from MeasuringWorth, $20,000 from 1912 would compare to at least $464,000.00 in 2010 (last year that numbers are available). That's a heck of a necklace to be taking on a cruise :-).

I remembering reading some where that White Star Lines billed the families of employees who died for their uniforms and other items.

That is the insurance claim and not what was offered by White Star Lines. A huge percentage of that claim is for a necklace worth $20,000. Looking at the numbers from MeasuringWorth, $20,000 from 1912 would compare to at least $464,000.00 in 2010 (last year that numbers are available). That's a heck of a necklace to be taking on a cruise :-).

I remembering reading some where that White Star Lines billed the families of employees who died for their uniforms and other items.

The insurance company(s) that had the policy for White Star covered all claims from passengers - based on other information from the associated Molly Brown article. Similarly to how the insurance companies for Costa are covering the Concordia third party liabilities in 2012, but Costa capped what you are being offered for your possessions at $14,000.

I figured that necklace had to be pretty costly in current day dollars.

Yes, the story is that White Star treated the crew very poorly. They also stopped the crew's pay the minute the ship went down.

I heard the title was going to be 'Domnica, my part in her downfall' He did have alternative titles, Barnacle scrapping for fools and Navigation for plonkers !!!

The insurance company(s) that had the policy for White Star covered all claims from passengers - based on other information from the associated Molly Brown article. Similarly to how the insurance companies for Costa are covering the Concordia third party liabilities in 2012, but Costa capped what you are being offered for your possessions at $14,000.

I figured that necklace had to be pretty costly in current day dollars.....

Maybe the Concordia needed

Debbie Reynolds playing The Unsinkable Molly Brown

aboard in stead of Domnica

:D:p:eek:

John

Don't you hate it when your captain goes bat crazy in the middle of your journey. All the training, management and security measures in the world cannot anticipate the conduct of certain captains. Wonder what JetBlue should pay to these poor passengers for such trauma inflicted at 30,000 feet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/03/report-jetblue-pilots-flips-out-is-subdued-by-pilot/1

Don't you hate it when your captain goes bat crazy in the middle of your journey. All the training, management and security measures in the world cannot anticipate the conduct of certain captains. Wonder what JetBlue should pay to these poor passengers for such trauma inflicted at 30,000 feet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/03/report-jetblue-pilots-flips-out-is-subdued-by-pilot/1

Are there any reports that Domnica was aboard the Jet Blue flight ? :eek::D

Just think that all of that is still down there. When the Titanic is a pile of iron oxide, the gold and jewels will still be there in the pile, mostly intact.