Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Aweeee.................come on Chief' date=' can't they do it the way we did years ago?

*If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer*:rolleyes:

AKK[/quote']

Yeah, skipper, the "deck department's favorite tool" is I'm sure being used "scientifically", but with the clock ticking and the bill growing, they need the engineers to fix it.

So can we have a recap where we are up to. How many port side caissons are yet to be fitted before the parbuckle.

Presumably there is still a lot of work to do before the parbuckle begins on or after 7th September.

Many thanks

Clive

It appears that only the P13 caisson and the blister work on the bow is still outstanding.

What web cam site do you use for current images? Thanks

this is the one I use: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=giglio%20news&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giglionews.it%2F2010022440919%2Fwebcam%2Fisola-del-giglio%2Fwebcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html&ei=2JL3Ub6HM4Hj4AOmhoDwAg&usg=AFQjCNFqt5r-HfayHVeeeELvt0pFnIL-gA you will need to translate from Italian.

Sometimes a little hazy and dim at dusk. Detail is not great, but you can also compare with photos from the weekly report. Just go to the "home" tab on the Giglio page, and then scroll down looking for the weekly report. This can only be translated by cutting and pasting into google translate, but the photos are good.

Yeah, skipper, the "deck department's favorite tool" is I'm sure being used "scientifically", but with the clock ticking and the bill growing, they need the engineers to fix it.

Yeah......Yeah............sure....sure............LOL...You are talking to one mate who operated his own diesel fired boiler, in the midship house of the S/S Pecos. We hauled asphalt and it was used to heat the heating tube oil to be able to pump the stuff!

We only let the engineers near it for one reason!

AKK

I thought P13 was installed at the last minute before Lone left. Also, is September the date that's been set to start the parbuckle?

Could be, I wasn't watching that close, I just saw it swinging away from the wreck, it looked like it had a caisson onboard. Probably need to wait for the infamous parbuckling site to update.

Yeah......Yeah............sure....sure............LOL...You are talking to one mate who operated his own diesel fired boiler' date=' in the midship house of the S/S Pecos. We hauled asphalt and it was used to heat the heating tube oil to be able to pump the stuff!

We only let the engineers near it for one reason!

AKK[/quote']

That would be when the Coasties showed up and you needed a fireman's endorsement?:D Always hated those thermal oil boilers.

Just looked at the parbuckling site, and watched the video, which is about a week behind, but had some good data about the blister tank, which should be arriving on site around 8 Aug. Grouting will probably take until mid Aug to the 20th, then the jacks and pre-tensioning cables. Looks like the first week of Sept is still on for parbuckling.

That would be when the Coasties showed up and you needed a fireman's endorsement?:D Always hated those thermal oil boilers.

It was pretty much auto pilot and we had a waver from the Coast Guard to let us run it, after the took the Chief boiler course!

Which at the end basically said if your not sure call be BEFORE it blows up.;)

AKK

It was pretty much auto pilot and we had a waver from the Coast Guard to let us run it' date=' after the took the Chief boiler course!

Which at the end basically said if your not sure call be BEFORE it blows up.;)

AKK[/quote']

I can hear it now (03:00): "Chief, honestly, I didn't touch anything, it just went boom, pop, fizzle. What do you think it is? Can you come look?" Some things have never changed.

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted but thought some might like to read this article just coming out of Italy which reports the projected date for Concordia to be righted to be September 4. There is also mention that the ship will more than likely stay righted at Giglio and not moved until next Spring. Just do a Google translate to get the gist of the article.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/livorno/cronaca/2013/07/30/news/si-raddrizza-la-concordia-titan-punta-al-4-settembre-1.7502806

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted but thought some might like to read this article just coming out of Italy which reports the projected date for Concordia to be righted to be September 4. There is also mention that the ship will more than likely stay righted at Giglio and not moved until next Spring. Just do a Google translate to get the gist of the article.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/livorno/cronaca/2013/07/30/news/si-raddrizza-la-concordia-titan-punta-al-4-settembre-1.7502806

Thanks CF;

That pretty much paraphrases the video on the parbuckling site.

The fact that Micoperi has not returned alongside the wreck suggests to me that there is still a caisson to be installed in a day or two.

Edited by chengkp75

Has anyone heard if any of the media groups has announced that they will be filming the parbuckling ???

AKK

I'm hoping to hear about that as well, as I've got to return to the ship in about 10 days, and no internet access for us poor commercial mariners, and won't be back until October. Since Micoperi has returned alongside, and the Lone appears to have left Santo Stefano, my guess that the P13 was not installed is probably wrong. Lone may be on the way to pick up the blister tank.

At least you guys won't have to put up with me for a while.:D

I'm hoping to hear about that as well, as I've got to return to the ship in about 10 days, and no internet access for us poor commercial mariners, and won't be back until October. Since Micoperi has returned alongside, and the Lone appears to have left Santo Stefano, my guess that the P13 was not installed is probably wrong. Lone may be on the way to pick up the blister tank.

I am hoping for maybe some cams mounted on the wreck, something like they do when they sink a vessel for a reef.

Chief your a great addition here, you word things much better then I do and you have more up to date details on active sailings that I don't since I am ashore and working from there!

Which school did you go to?

AKK

We all have our specialities, bringing all this together is what I like about this forum. Here are much shorter links, straight to the webcam, avoiding going via Google, avoiding any adverts around the webcam, just the pic, plain, clean. Cool.

http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_porto.jpg

Hotel sponsored cam here (far less good, stalls often):

http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_traghetto.jpg

Giglio harbour (no view of CC)

http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio.jpg

Ahh, what a shame to temporarily loosing one of our best contributors, you could have been our mole right at source. Do they at least let you out to get to an internet cafe (I am of course NOT asking out of any self interest whatsoever, just concerned about YOU, naturally :) )

Ahh, what a shame to temporarily loosing one of our best contributors, you could have been our mole right at source. Do they at least let you out to get to an internet cafe (I am of course NOT asking out of any self interest whatsoever, just concerned about YOU, naturally :) )

Not much hope of that, it's generally a $20-40 cab ride, each way, from most oil terminals to any source of civilization, and there are not a lot of internet cafes along the Gulf Coast! If they can live telecast some nut-job skydiving from 60,000 feet (or whatever), maybe some network will pick up if not live, then at least some "highlights".

Cheng ... does the info you have given on ship rudder commands apply to every ship ? i am thinking of those with fixed rudders as against those ships with Azipods and those with the extra bits fitted to the rudder to help turning .. the name escapes me of that one.