Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

My first question would be: what is the range of tide at Giglio, and what was the state of tide for each picture taken. Since the Concordia is no longer floating, tides will change the water level against the ship, just as it does the shore. Titan admits to compression, but this is not unusual.

Agreed, it would seem the photos would have had to be taken in the exact location/camera angle taking into the account tidal conditions to be able to make any accurate estimate of hull compression.

Today, Sunday am, MV Lone is back alongside CC, with a caisson out and up from its hold to deck level. Should be #6 judging from its shape.

Morning Mike, just been watching it myself, I agree it looks like one of the taller caissons (no. 6) being dropped onto C.C. as I type, looking @ the Hotel Saraceno webcam.

Four more caissons to go, another few hundred tons of grout bags, chains/cables linked from the caissons to the underwater platforms, and we are ready for 'the parbuckle'!

Thanks for the info on the trial. I've been busy with work and golf and would have missed it. I did hear on the radio but the report was great.

Although I don't post on here a lot, I am an everyday reader.

Thanks again.

Edited by bigeck

The Parbuckling web site needs to be updated, well out of date now.

They must have read your post! The plan of C.C. now shows caisson no.6 as being in position, which was transferred onto C.C. this morning.

My previous post was incorrect, there are now only 3 caissons left to fit before the parbuckle process. Hopefully MV Lone will bring all 3 in one go on her next visit.

they must have read your post! The plan of c.c. Now shows caisson no.6 as being in position, which was transferred onto c.c. This morning.

My previous post was incorrect, there are now only 3 caissons left to fit before the parbuckle process. Hopefully mv lone will bring all 3 in one go on her next visit.

The graphic is updated but the numbers to the left aren't.

Anchor Blocks Drilling Holes Sponsons

11 installed 21 completed 6 installed

0 to be installed 0 to be done 9 to be installed

Edited by Ken711

They must have read your post! The plan of C.C. now shows caisson no.6 as being in position, which was transferred onto C.C. this morning.

My previous post was incorrect, there are now only 3 caissons left to fit before the parbuckle process. Hopefully MV Lone will bring all 3 in one go on her next visit.

Not sure if she can fit 2 short verticals and one long horizontal caisson on deck/in hold.

There is also the question I have about the "blister" notation on the #1/#2 caissons, that appear to mean that either some form of open top or partial caisson is to be installed prior to parbuckling.

Lets see what the weekly report holds tomorrow.

The graphic is updated but the numbers to the left aren't.

From what I can see on the parbuckling website, they seem to have an automatic (live) update for the progress image. This may well be linked to some internal IT system where the original progress image is stored. The name of the image indicates that.

The rest of the stats are hand coded, and it's done in a way which shouldn't be used anymore these days in website coding.

Hence they are behind the time, or on top of it depending what you look at.

I read a story yesterday that included a piece where it says that some of the lawyers involved in the claims are to ask the judge to review the sentencing because they believe the time handed out is below what should be given.

"Blister" has me a bit confused too. The word is not referred to in any section explaining the project.

As this is in the section of the bow where the hull is compound curved (curved in two directions), this may refer to framing being added to allow a rectangular caisson to be welded to the hull after parbuckling. Just a guess, as it is much easier to make square sided boxes, and just a few oddly shaped frame to hold the square boxes to a curved hull.

From the weekly progress report we now know: Lone will pick up P13 (the horizontal one) this week from Livorno, followed by P5 & P4 from Thursday onwards. Which also confirms, they won't fit in/on Lone in one go altogether.

Lone is at this moment still moored in the bay of St Stefano.

On Wednesday the remaining two towers on anchor blocks 10 & 11 will be installed.

Looks like another week where we can watch something.

Giglio harbour officials faced a problem with required repairs for a small bridge which allows access to a floating dock/pontoon, used by boaters etc.

In a nice offer to help, staff from Micoperi 61 (the platform on legs between CC and the coast) offered to make and donate a new bridge (and pontoon?), replacing the old one. They didn't forget to put their MW logo on it, but that's perfectly OK, isn't it?

Pictures here: http://www.giglionews.it/2013072159858/news/isola-del-giglio/un-nuovo-pontile-galleggiante.html

phoca_thumb_l_cimg1376.jpg

I'm not an engineer so that's probably why they didn't ask me but since some of you have brought up the confusing "blister" situation, does anyone know why P1/P2 & P14/P15 are installed after parbuckling? I would have thought it would be much easier to be installed above water (although the concept of welding underwater is something I just don't understand- seems to go against the whole don't-mix-water-and-electricity idea) Is it a matter of hull integrity?

P5 on sunday, strand jacks getting installed this week too. I think that's the first time I've seen the gantt chart on the weekly report.

I'm not an engineer so that's probably why they didn't ask me but since some of you have brought up the confusing "blister" situation, does anyone know why P1/P2 & P14/P15 are installed after parbuckling? I would have thought it would be much easier to be installed above water (although the concept of welding underwater is something I just don't understand- seems to go against the whole don't-mix-water-and-electricity idea) Is it a matter of hull integrity?

P5 on sunday, strand jacks getting installed this week too. I think that's the first time I've seen the gantt chart on the weekly report.

Usual disclaimer: this is just my opinion. I think that it has to do with the matter of balancing buoyancy and weight while parbuckling, as I've posted previously. It probably also has concurrently to do with stressing the fore and aft ends of the ship during the torsional stresses placed on the ship during rotation.

Underwater welding is quite something. You actually create an air pocket around the welding arc. It does seem physically impossible, and quite dangerous, but it is a routine thing. It is just more expensive than welding above water.

I have been stewing on the issue of the conviction of the Helmsman's. Actually getting a bit upset at the Italian legal system, it does seem totally unfair as this Man who only following orders and the worse I can see is he misunderstood a order. Even with that, its the duty Officer and the Masters responsibility to see that the orders are executed properly.

I can see only 2 reasons for the conviction/plea bargain.

1. There is something he did to make him liable, that has not been released in the reports.

2. He was told, for his testimony, that when it was all said and done, he would not be serving any actual jail time.

AKK

I have been stewing on the issue of the conviction of the Helmsman's. Actually getting a bit upset at the Italian legal system' date=' it does seem totally unfair as this Man who only following orders and the worse I can see is he misunderstood a order. Even with that, its the duty Officer and the Masters responsibility to see that the orders are executed properly.

I can see only 2 reasons for the conviction/plea bargain.

1. There is something he did to make him liable, that has not been released in the reports.

2. He was told, for his testimony, that when it was all said and done, he would not be serving any actual jail time.

AKK[/quote']

Skipper

You're right on the mark. Maybe we should each start a second career in our dotage. ;)

I'll mentor you in lawyering and you can mentor me in seafaring. :D

John

PS under Italian Law, your second posible reason can be expanded to include reversing and vacating the guilty verdict.

Edited by Uniall

Skipper

You're right on the mark. Maybe we should each start a second career in our dotage. ;)

I'll mentor you in lawyering and you can mentor me in seafaring. :D

John

PS under Italian Law, your second posible reason can be expanded to include reversing and vacating the guilty verdict.

lol........Just think of the mischief we BOTH could create!:D

AKK

Well I am back and it has obviously been a very busy time both in Giglio and on here.

I have been on a cruise on Costa Fortuna going from Copenhagen to Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg and Warnemunde.

I was particularly interested in the Emergency drill , which took place just prior to sailing out of Copenhagen. I was impressed that on embarking we were each given a red plastic card with our names on them. After the drill the cards were taken off us so they had a record of who attended the drill. However I was disappointed that after Concordia, an announcement was made asking us that anyone who hadn't attended the drill could go to one of the lounges. There appeared to be no compulsion to attend. The drill was repeated at Warnemunde for new passengers with again the same announcement regarding non attenders.

Right I'm off to try and catch up with whats been happening in the last 10 days

Clive ... MSC also use the Red cards with your name on them although they were collected as people arrived for the drill, they also carried out the drill for people who boarded in Ijmuiden in Holland and Oslo in Norway.