Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I only hope this is an erroneous report, the families have suffered enough.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/509670/20130927/costa-concordia-missing-victims-russel-rebello-maria.htm

:eek: She went back for a jacket?! :eek:

It cost her her life!

We can only guess that she thought she had the time, poor soul..

Clive, I wonder if the confusion comes from information about where they were found. If you look back at some of the links provided here, at least one says Deck 4 and one says seabed.

Being as delicate as I can, could it be possible for the remains to be both? I would however suggest if it were sea creatures (or animals as the link suggests,) they would have to be fairly big.

:eek: She went back for a jacket?! :eek:

It cost her her life!

We can only guess that she thought she had the time, poor soul..

From an article I read she was only wearing a nightie. Possibly after being outside for a while she felt there was enough time to return.

A new weekly report is out. Some new info for discussion here. There are pictures of the starboard side sponsons with some intriguing things in their design. There is also a new Gantt chart for the activities leading to winter preparation of the wreck. Among activities that will take place is cleaning of previously submerged parts of growth with steam. Why would they do that?

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/rel_sett_osservatorio290913.pdf

Among activities that will take place is cleaning of previously submerged parts of growth with steam. Why would they do that?

Maybe to prep the hull for welding and make it safer and cleaner for workers.

They also may not want to take any more different local organisms that are attached from that area to another site in Italy.

Do we know what an ADUS survey is please ?

What a wonderful new word (at least to me) "Winterisation"

I wish we didn't know about "Wintrisation" in Canada. I have to buy new snow tires soon. :(

Luis, re: steam cleaning. Could it be possible because the side would be slippery and the workers may have to do some climbing? Or another thought would be to assure better applications of items that will be placed against the ship.

Clive, must not get real cold on your side of the pond. ;) Those of us that can be exposed to temps below freezing, 32 degrees and/or sometimes even going below 0, are use to winterization (as we spell it on this side of the pond.)

It's not an issue that I have to deal with at my AZ desert home tho I do at my Northern Indiana one. Folks with pools or underground sprinkler systems must have the lines blown out every fall or risk blown lines that will create leaks.

KandC, I must have started my reply when your post went up. lol

Yeah. You would know all about that winterization stuff.

Organisms is a real possibility.

Edited by SomeBeach

That was quick luisrp. Think we may well have crossed in the ether lol

We posted at the same time. :D

About the cleaning part, I think the safety part is the most likely reason. They are cleaning parts that are now exposed and there is a lot more inside the vessel in terms of living organisms in places not accessible now than what is exposed. Also, the exposed parts will not be an issue anyway since they are already out of the water.

If you check out the recovery renderings on the parbuckling project website the Starboard Sponsons 4-12 are only attached by inboard and outboard strand jacks. I don't think they actually get welded or attached to the starboard hull at all.

It is also my impression that the remaining 4 port side sponsons aren't welded either. Before the parbuckling, the aft section had a large hook-like attachment welded on the hull to hook P14 and P15 to when they arrive. S14 and S15 also utilize strand jacks. The bow blister also has these connections, so P1, P2, S1, & S2 just hook in.

With that in mind, it seems the only welding or fabricating to be done is with S3 and S13... which also happen to be right in the middle of the heaviest damage (though I don't think any of us know what the starboard hull looks like). I would think S14 and S15 might need some welding work but maybe not.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/multimedia_detail.php?eid=UEQCEwdeA2sEPA%3D%3D&cat=progetto&type=images

EDIT i take that back - took a a closer look at the project rendering files, S3 and S13 are also done with strand jacks. So basically everything welded to the port side has a chain or strand attached, and acts as a sling under the hull to the starboard sponsons

Edited by lightman1984

Do we know what an ADUS survey is please

I was wondering as well, I think this might be the answer

ADUS is a British company which does high resolution multibeam sonar surveys of shipwrecks in the marine salvage market.

From their Press Release dated March 2013:

In April of last year ADUS were engaged by Titan Salvage to undertake a high resolution 3D sonar survey of the Costa Concordia which lies just off the island of Giglio, Italy. The events surrounding the sinking were the subject of world-wide media attention, and the operation to remove the wreck has now become the world's largest wreck removal operation. Titan Salvage utilised the 3D high resolution ADUS survey, which also included static and mobile laser scanning of those parts of the hull remaining above water, to inform the subsea engineering aspects of what has now become known as the 'Parbuckling Project'.

Link (to some pretty spectacular images of other projects)

http://www.adus-uk.com/wreck-images

If you check out the recovery renderings

EDIT i take that back - took a a closer look at the project rendering files, S3 and S13 are also done with strand jacks. So basically everything welded to the port side has a chain or strand attached, and acts as a sling under the hull to the starboard sponsons

I wouldn't put but so much stock in renderings, things are constantly evolving.

However, using two barges with chain/cables between them to lift a wreck is a fairly common salvage method dating back several centuries at least.

However the starboard side caissons are attached to the Concordia' date=' they are going to have to be hard welded or hard connected.

When she is being towed the caissons cannot be *flapping around*:eek:, even a little bit, on a chain or wire.

AKK[/quote']

I'm still trying to envision how the starboard side sponsons will be attached.