Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

There you ago again. Your persist in the belief, if other people break the rules, everyone can break the rules. Bad conduct by others does not justify bad conduct by you.

Exactly....so just cos one person did it and got away with it, does not make it right....but if no-one reprimands for an incorrect action, then it is natural for the next person to believe (misguidedly) that if the action was done and not moaned about, then its fine for them to do it too.

You cannot expect people to accept and work within set guidance if its one rule for one person and different for someone else.

Gabarino's tenure included Giglio....sanctioned or not is moot insofar that anyone following Gabarino on the ship as master could quite understandably assume that since Gabarino was allowed to do it, anyone else could also do it.

Unless Schettino physically saw the order giving Gabarino written permission to take the tighter course in August for this one and only occasion, there is no reason why Schettino would not believe that it was a normal action that was routinely carried out by other captains too.

The furore about the August sailing was only made public after the accident...and many, at the time, made the assumption that if it had been done before, then it must be done routinely.

Infact it was a one-off and not routinely done...but the misunderstanding that it was routine is easy to make...and equally easy to repeat by someone else later on.

Is an action routine or is it a one-off event......unless every captain in the fleet was made aware that it was a one-off event or they were all psychic...only Gabarino and his crew would have known that it had special dispensation.

Schettino could potentially now say "well he (Gabarino) did it with Palombo's blessing, so I (Schettino) naturally thought I (Schettino) could do the same since Palombo knew I (Schettino) wanted to salute him in the same way as he (Gabarino) did last August."

If Costa Crociere did not make it clear that it was a one-off special occasion in August, is it surprising that other Captains assumed that it was an approved route/action?

You missed the point totally.
Could you enlighten us then with what exactly your point is? Not trying to be a smart ass here but sometimes your point gets lost in between all the magnificent superfluous verbiage.

Gabarino is listed as Captain for the August sail-by.

However, there is no evidence that Gabarino was on the BRIDGE during the sail-by in August.

Ganarino could have been anywhere on the ship and the Staff Captain/First Officer etc was on the bridge during the sanctioned sail-by.

And for all anyone knows, that person could have been Schettino or any one of a large number of other officers employed by Costa Crociere.

The Captain bio's on the Costa Crociere DO NOT list the officers UNDER their command on the tenures aboard specific ships, there is no way of knowing who had actual digits on the wheel during the August sail-by...just as there is no way of knowing who had their digits on the wheel during the subsequent January one either.

You assume it would be the Captain with digits on the wheel at the time, but there is no guarantee of that. It makes no difference who has ultimate responsibility as that is moot...what is unknown is who was "driving", not who had ultimate responsibility. We know who had ultimate responsibility for the ship...we fo not know who was at the wheel on either of the sail-by's.

If your point is that Schettino might have been on the bridge and was commanding during the successful August sail-by, it doesn't seem logical that he would try to beat his own record, would it?

Whether there is truth to this or not, it has been reported in the Italian media that judge Valeria Montesarchio did ask Schettino if he had done previous sail-bys and he responded by saying that he had done so with the Europa and other Costa ships.

In that same testimony, Schettino also revealed another possible "motive" for the sail-by other than to honor the Maitre D' and former captain Mario Palombo (who as it turns out was on the mainland in Grosetto that evening and not on Giglio). It was reported that he said there was a sort of competition with Massimo Garbarino, and that he had sent Garbarino an email letting him know of the sail-by.

Again, if all this is true, it highly unlikely he would try to beat his own record.

But if you have evidence that Schettino was on the bridge during the August sail-by, by all means present it.

Could you enlighten us then with what exactly your point is? Not trying to be a smart ass here but sometimes your point gets lost in between all the magnificent superfluous verbiage.

If your point is that Schettino might have been on the bridge and was commanding during the successful August sail-by, it doesn't seem logical that he would try to beat his own record, would it?

Whether there is truth to this or not, it has been reported in the Italian media that judge Valeria Montesarchio did ask Schettino if he had done previous sail-bys and he responded by saying that he had done so with the Europa and other Costa ships.

In that same testimony, Schettino also revealed another possible "motive" for the sail-by other than to honor the Maitre D' and former captain Mario Palombo (who as it turns out was on the mainland in Grosetto that evening and not on Giglio). It was reported that he said there was a sort of competition with Massimo Garbarino, and that he had sent Garbarino an email letting him know of the sail-by.

Again, if all this is true, it highly unlikely he would try to beat his own record.

But if you have evidence that Schettino was on the bridge during the August sail-by, by all means present it.

Not saying there is evidence either way about August...he could have been on board, afterall, we do not have his bio with his service list do we?

Hypothetical conversation tween Palombo & Schettino....devils advocate and all that....

Palombo : Sua una bella notte, che cosa potrebbe andare storto, eh?

Schettino : Ma la sua contro le regole...Ho potuto ottenere nei guai...

Palombo : Niente andrà storto, ti prometto... Ehi... suo stato fatto prima e niente è andato storto, perché preoccuparsi, eh...e comunque, chi sa su di esso, il suo solo tra noi due, giusto?

Schettino : Ok...I'll do it...if che si sentono che sarebbe bene...

Palombo : Bene, bene...' Ll be watching per voi... sua una bella notte...Vedo l'ora di vedere la mia bella Concordia ancora... mi chiamano quando siete vicini...

Schettino : Ok...Ok...Ti chiamerò...

In English (Babelfish)....

Palombo : Its a beautiful night, what could possibly go wrong, eh?

Schettino : But its against the rules...I could get into trouble...

Palombo : Nothing will go wrong, I promise you...hey...its been done before and nothing went wrong, why worry, huh...and anyway, who will know about it, its just between the two of us, right?

Schettino : OK...I'll do it...if you feel it would be alright...

Palombo : Good, good...I'll be watching for you...its a beautiful night...I look forward to seeing my beautiful Concordia again...call me when you are close...

Schettino : OK...Ok...I'll call you...

Exactly....so just cos one person did it and got away with it, does not make it right....but if no-one reprimands for an incorrect action, then it is natural for the next person to believe (misguidedly) that if the action was done and not moaned about, then its fine for them to do it too.

You cannot expect people to accept and work within set guidance if its one rule for one person and different for someone else.

Gabarino's tenure included Giglio....sanctioned or not is moot insofar that anyone following Gabarino on the ship as master could quite understandably assume that since Gabarino was allowed to do it, anyone else could also do it.

Unless Schettino physically saw the order giving Gabarino written permission to take the tighter course in August for this one and only occasion, there is no reason why Schettino would not believe that it was a normal action that was routinely carried out by other captains too.

The furore about the August sailing was only made public after the accident...and many, at the time, made the assumption that if it had been done before, then it must be done routinely.

Infact it was a one-off and not routinely done...but the misunderstanding that it was routine is easy to make...and equally easy to repeat by someone else later on.

Is an action routine or is it a one-off event......unless every captain in the fleet was made aware that it was a one-off event or they were all psychic...only Gabarino and his crew would have known that it had special dispensation.

Schettino could potentially now say "well he (Gabarino) did it with Palombo's blessing, so I (Schettino) naturally thought I (Schettino) could do the same since Palombo knew I (Schettino) wanted to salute him in the same way as he (Gabarino) did last August."

If Costa Crociere did not make it clear that it was a one-off special occasion in August, is it surprising that other Captains assumed that it was an approved route/action?

You are so wrong on so many levels: logic, philosophy, ethics, law, et. al. :rolleyes:

Try telling the traffic cop and the judge you shouldn't have gotten a ticket since everyone was speeding. Try telling the teacher you shouldn't be punished because others were cheating on the test, too. And on and on and on. :eek:

The new western world matra is I'm not responsible for my actions. It's someone else's fault. Maybe we should triple the number of police, prosecutors and prisons. :D

Edited by Uniall

Not saying there is evidence either way about August...he could have been on board, afterall, we do not have his bio with his service list do we?

Hypothetical conversation tween Palombo & Schettino....devils advocate and all that....

Palombo : Niente andrà storto, ti prometto... Ehi... suo stato fatto prima e niente è andato storto, perché preoccuparsi, eh...e comunque, chi sa su di esso, il suo solo tra noi due, giusto?

Palombo : Bene, bene...' Ll be watching per voi... sua una bella notte...Vedo l'ora di vedere la mia bella Concordia ancora... mi chiamano quando siete vicini...

Palombo : Nothing will go wrong, I promise you...hey...its been done before and nothing went wrong, why worry, huh...and anyway, who will know about it, its just between the two of us, right?

Palombo : Good, good...I'll be watching for you...its a beautiful night...I look forward to seeing my beautiful Concordia again...call me when you are close...

My suspicions that you have been gathering information for a novel you are writing have been confirmed! :D :rolleyes:

You can't be serious --- haven't you read that Palombo stated he was not even on Giglio island that night, but rather on the mainland, in Grosetto?

Just to correct some incorrect information posted here:

We all know that Staff Captain's take the bridge when the Master is off duty or on more public orientated duties with the pax.

Wrong. A day is divided into six four-hour watches. Unless the ship is in a situation which requires the Master to be on the bridge (e.g. mooring, unmooring, "interesting situation" such as a sail-by, traffic, bad weather etc) the watch will usually be led of an Officer of the Watch (usually a First Officer, sometimes a Second Officer), assisted by a junior officer of the watch (usually a Second or Third Officer), and a lookout (usually a senior sailor such as a Bosun). The Master is at all times on duty and can be requested to come to the bridge at any time.

For the life of me I cannot understand why we only had the one full evac drill for a three week cruise whereas on all the other cruises we had them every 7 days without fail.
Incorrect. For example, P&O do not hold passenger drills every 7 days on a cruise lasting longer than 7 days. P&O do hold a passenger drill on embarkation day, and attendance is mandatory, unless the passenger was on the immediately preceeding cruise.

Essentially there are way too many assumptions that just cos its the rule of the sea that the master must be at a specific place during a specific time or manoever that the master or any of his officers will indeed be there...

Of course, after the event they can SAY they were there, but no-one can actually PROVE that they were there.

The audio on the bridge of every cruise ship is continuously recorded. It is thus obvious who is on the bridge - it especially obvious when the Captain comes on the bridge, because it's a very "courageous" officer of the watch who doesn't acknowledge their Captain!

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

Basically then, there are no ship's masters who do not break the rules...both written and unwritten...who say they were on the bridge at a given time, when infact they were asleep in the cabin or wherever.

Assuming that this is correct for all officer ratings, they are always where they are meant to be, doing what they are meant to be doing....

Mikhail Lermontov's master was in his cabin changing his wet clothes when the pilot took the cruise ship down a route known to be risky and off the usual charted route. Despite being questioned by the other senior officers, the pilot carried on....the ship hit rocks, the master then returned to the bridge asking *** was going on (or words to that effect)....the passenegrs were told that dinner would be delayed an hour and that there was no danger...except the crew were wandering about in lifejackets and it was only after the wine glasses used during the wine tasting fell off the table due to the ship going down by the head and listing, did the full evacuation order go out.

Luck more than judgement almost everyone got off...an engineer died.

Herald of Free Enterprise's master was on the bridge, chuntering a bit cos he was late departing Zeebrugge. Loading completed his 2IC left the car deck assuming the rating in charge of the bow doors would do what was neccessary...ie close the watertight inner door and then the outer shell doors. The 2IC went up to the bridge and told master that all was ready for sea...without physically checking. The ship left the quayside, the master increased the speed and the ship took on water, became unstable and toppled over onto a sandbank...193 dead. Oh and the one who was sposed to be closing the doors....he was fast asleep in his cabin when the ship was loading and did not wake up til after the ship toppled over.

Essentially there are way too many assumptions that just cos its the rule of the sea that the master must be at a specific place during a specific time or manoever that the master or any of his officers will indeed be there...

Of course, after the event they can SAY they were there, but no-one can actually PROVE that they were there.

'

Well you have now proved you have no knowledge of how ships operate.

No Master is going to say he was on one place3 when he was in another bucuase there is no way the secret will be kept! The Coast Guard or what ever investigation will bring the truth out.

SO your wrong ..totally wrong.......... in fact and theory.

You do like to throw out ideas,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybes...could have,.......I deal in the facts how ship operate.

Quite frankly I did believe you were a investigator..............but I know I see your just a well read person,. Hell maybe you are writing a book.LOL

AKK

again........not discussion...........facts are facts.

AKK

AKK

'

Well you have now proved you have no knowledge of how ships operate.

No Master is going to say he was on one place3 when he was in another bucuase there is no way the secret will be kept! The Coast Guard or what ever investigation will bring the truth out.

SO your wrong ..totally wrong.......... in fact and theory.

You do like to throw out ideas' date=',,,,,,,,,,,,maybes...could have,.......I deal in the facts how ship operate.

Quite frankly I did believe you were a investigator..............but I know I see your just a well read person,. Hell maybe you are writing a book.LOL

AKK

again........not discussion...........facts are facts.

AKK

AKK[/quote']

When did I say that I did know how ships operate...I haven't done...if you and anyone else assumed that I did, well more fool you...I cdertainly didn't say that I had any background in investigations...only that I have studied air crashes for over 35 years...which is absolutely true...my book shelves positively heave under the weight of accident reports dating back to the Inedx Adria/BEA midair crash in 1976.

Now if you and everyone made assumptions about who I am...not my fault.

I like 99% here is just someone looking from the outside in, looking for potential answers in what is one almighty mess.

Making assumptions about anyone is never a good idea ;)

Incorrect. For example, P&O do not hold passenger drills every 7 days on a cruise lasting longer than 7 days. P&O do hold a passenger drill on embarkation day, and attendance is mandatory, unless the passenger was on the immediately preceeding cruise.

VP

NCL, Olsen, Cunard, P&O carry out a drill at the start of a cruise regardless of length...yep...I have sailed with them.

However, the point I made was that after Concordia when things were sposedly tightened up, my 3 week cruise went from 3 drills to one...which was contrary to previous cruises of 2, 6 and 3 week lengths aboard Costa ships where the full drill was conducted for everyone every 7 days.

Just seemed like a step backwards to me...but since it could be at the discretion of the captain, I don't know what would be correct or incorrect.

I would imagine some sort of patch, be it hard or soft will be placed over the hole unless the sponsons would cover the damage. To do otherwise would, to my way of thinking, be quite risky. The companies doing this project are not fly-by-night operators who will cut corners in the interest of speed.

Doc

Ha Ha Ha: Funny NOT !!

A hypothetical is supposed to be grounded in reality. Your "hypo"-thetical is such pure fantasy, it could have been induced by a "hypo"dermic. :D

As for Captain Death's truthfulness, I'm reminded of a trial I litigated years ago.

The defendant resided in a "Southern Appalacian" (hillbilly) neighborhood of Chicago. He took the stand and denied his guilt. Under my cross examination, he made the mistake of claiming: "I never lie".

That opened the door to evidence of his truthfulness. I put an old time Southern Baptist Minister on the stand who had known the defendant for years. I was leading him thru the proper preliminary questions and asked him if he had formed an opinion on the defendant's reputation for truthfulness?

Instead of just answering yes and waiting for my follow up question, the Southern Appalacian minister replied: "His feet stink, the truth ain't in him and he don't love Jesus". :eek:

The defense correctly objected and the jury was instructed to disregard the answer but the defendant's fate was sealed. ;)

I wonder what the good Reverend would have to say about Captain Schittino? :rolleyes:

Ha Ha Ha: Funny Yes !!

Edited by Uniall

VampireParrot - thank you for your previous post (some pages back) where you mentioned that the 7-8 minutes (or approx. 10, by the helmsman's testimony) would have been ample time for the Commander to alter course. I had wondered about that.

I have another question for you, TonkaSkipper or any others with similar seagoing experience.

I preface by stating I believe Schettino is responsible for what happened to the Costa Concordia in that he ordered the deviation to the route to go in as near to Giglio as possible to make his salute.... slowed to 15 knots! (This, we know from the testimonies, even Schettino's.) He gave the orders.

Some of the testimonies state that the turn was started when the 1st Officer was on watch. Schettino told his officers to call him to the bridge 5 miles before the way point to turn South East of Giglio. According to testimony, he spent about 10 minutes chatting with others on or near he bridge - people who shouldn't have been there. Then took command to "complete the maneuver."

Shortly after the Concordia accident, I remember reading an interview with an experienced ship captain. (No, I don't know if he was a friend of Schettino's:)) He speculated that the cause could have been technical or human error by the Commander or an officer on watch. The interviewer asked specifically why mention an officer... didn't the Commander have responsibility for the ship. He said that according to the latest international standards, the Commander no longer has the primary responsibility, unless he is on watch himself. That's why he must state explicitly "Captain takes command." Otherwise, the conduct of the ship is entrusted to an officer, who must follow and respect the "passage planning", or sort of flight plan, signed by the Captain (with the route indicated.)

My question is, is it true that a Captain doesn't have primary responsibility for a ship if he is not on watch? Or was this guy wrong?

Ha Ha Ha: Funny NOT !!

!!

No indeed. This whole discussion is funny not. You were a prosecutor, a responsible position. Maybe you could start using the captain's correct name rather than inventing childish ones that are starting to get wearying.

David.

Question: Is the senior officer on the bridge automatically in command upon arrival? Or does he have to be logged in and command handed over? (This assuming non-emergency situations.)

Regards

Oh, gosh, BlackHawk1. I musta been typing while you posted. You asked my question much more succinctly and clearly! :)

A photo taken by an evacuated passenger at 2345 local time on the quayside at Giglio...when it was assumed that everyone was off she ship.

It is hard to see the ship...she is just a mass of tiny lights....but what is striking are indeed those lights.

Shortly after her power failed, she went into emergency genset mode...we know this just by looking down her boat deck, the usual cobalt blue lighting was replaced by bright white lighting...

But here, in this photo, she is almost completely dark...even her red nightlights on the bridge are completely extinguished.

Those left aboard her by the time this photo was taken, would never have known where they were in relation to the safety of the outside decks...

Which begs the question...why did her otherwise bright emergency lights go out?

The angle of how she is laying is not far from that of when she was evacuated, she is not semi-submerges as she was the dawn the next morning...so why did her lights go out...?

Water ingress on the nearside, where she was settling, perhaps....

Either way, this is quite an eery photo of what was a dying ship...with people, both alive and dead still aboard her...

concordia.jpg.ccb0c457205a6c8e2c3a5901df585539.jpg

DORMI, stai tranquilla, la bella addormentata nell’isola sta per essere conquistata da un principe, che la porterà via». Il cielo stellato del Castello illumina il palco del teatro, come illuminò quella notte del 13 gennaio. Un padre racconta una fiaba alla figlia, mentre la Concordia è stesa sul mare, immobilizzata in un sonno incantato.

Dopo sette mesi i gigliesi rielaborano la loro storia, un mito che fino ad ora è stato percorso solo dalla cronaca e dai talk show. La storia del naufragio della Costa diventa teatro, una poesia corale recitata dagli isolani che vissero quella notte. «La bella addormentata nell’isola» è il testo che ogni mercoledì̀ alle 22 verrà messo in scena a Giglio Castello, nella piazzetta dei Lombi. E’ il risultato di un laboratorio realizzato dal regista fiorentino Andrea Giannoni, che da 10 anni segue la compagnia il Teatro dell’Isola Pietro Buttarelli.

«Dovevamo preparare Euripide — spiega Giannoni —, ma i gigliesi avevano bisogno di raccontare la loro storia e tirarne fuori qualcosa di positivo. E’ nato così uno spettacolo aperto a tutti, a cui hanno partecipato persone da 7 a 70 anni, con un’unica regola: raccontare le emozioni, senza parlare di ciò che è stato scritto e filmato dalla stampa».

Il teatro torna alla sua funzione originaria, quella di mettere in scena la vita, come nell’antica Grecia di Euripide e Sofocle. «Le fonti a cui ci siamo ispirati - continua il regista - sono La Bella addormentata di Ciajkovskij, La Tempesta di Shakespeare e il canto dantesco sul naufrago per eccellenza, Ulisse».

Le scene all’interno della nave non sono recitate ma solo danzate. La banda del Giglio ‘Enea Brizzi’ musica la colonna sonora e il suono più importante: l’urto della nave con lo scoglio. Il valzer di Šostakovic s’interrompe, il ballo si ferma. Una giovane intona un canto sui ricordi delle prime ore di quella notte. Sulla scena arriva Don Lorenzo, nella chiesa non più solo di Dio ma chiesa degli uomini. I Gigliesi hanno riscoperto la solidarietà, le notti insonni dopo la paura si conciliano con una fiaba moderna che ha il sapore del mito. Il coro canta il risveglio dell’isola, sulle note di Alba sul mar. Poi l’ultimo saluto a chi non c’è più: la tromba del silenzio. E cala il sipario.

Sleep, you're quiet, sleeping beauty on the island being conquered by a Prince, who will take her away ". The starry sky of the Castle theater stage lit up that night, as of 13 January. A father tells a story to his daughter, while Concordia is stretched out over the sea, immobilized in an enchanted sleep.

After seven months the gigliesi they revise their history, a myth that until now was only path from the Chronicle and talk shows. The story of the sinking of the coast becomes Theatre, choral poem recited by islanders who lived there that night. «Sleeping on the island ' is the text that every mercoledì̀ to 22 will be staged in Giglio Castello, in the square of the loins. It is the result of a laboratory created by the Florentine Andrea Giannoni, Director for 10 years following the island's theatre company Peter Buttarelli.

«We had to prepare Euripides — explains Giannoni — but the gigliesi needed to tell their story and pull out something positive. He was born so a show open to all, which was attended by people from 7 to 70 years, with only one rule: tell the emotions, let alone what was written and filmed by the press. "

The theatre back to its original function, that of staging life, as in ancient Greece by Euripides and Sophocles. «The sources that we have inspired-continues the Director-Tchaikovsky's the sleeping beauty, the tempest by Shakespeare and Dante's canto par excellence, the shipwrecked Odysseus '.

The scenes inside the ship are not recited except dance. La banda del Giglio ' Aeneas Brizzi ' soundtrack music and sound more important: the ship's collision with the rock. Shostakovitch's Waltz, the dance stops stops. A young girl sings a song about memories of the first hours of the night. The scene comes Don Lorenzo, the Church is no longer only of God but Church of men. The Gigliesi have rediscovered the solidarity, the sleepless nights after fear be reconciled with a modern fairy tale that has the taste of myth. The choir sings the awakening of the island, to the tune of sunrise over sea. Then the last farewell to whom there is more: the trumpet of silence. And the curtain.

http://www.giglionews.it/2012081058888/news/isola-del-giglio/la-tragedia-della-concordia-diventa-teatro-corale.html

loc_teatro300712.jpg.5f4e9674135cfe10e32c8074a831a48b.jpg

It appears that Codacons have stept on a few toes....(no surprise there)...

COMUNE ISOLA DEL GIGLIO

Provincia di Grosseto

Intervento del sindaco Ortelli sui dubbi del Codacons

«Se il Codacons ha a cuore veramente la vicenda della rimozione della Costa Concordia e dell’Isola del Giglio, come dice, perché non si confronta con gli enti preposti, invece di fare sensazionalismo? Del resto all’Isola del Giglio, da sette mesi, c’è un Commissario straordinario per l’emergenza, ci sono due soggetti attuatori, un Osservatorio sui lavori di rimozione, ci sono organismi regionali e ****onali preposti ai controlli ambientali come Arpat e Ispra che svolgono quotidianamente il loro lavoro di monitoraggio supportato da dati confortanti e l’Università La Sapienza di Roma che effettua monitoraggi specifici.

Questo è l’esempio di protezione civile che l’Unione Europea è venuto a studiare all’Isola del Giglio e al quale l’amministrazione comunale si attiene. Ogni altro tentativo di ergersi a paladini esclusivi della verità contribuisce solo a creare ulteriore disagi all’Isola del Giglio e alla sua comunità già duramente messa alla prova contraddicendo addirittura il principio per cui il Codacons stesso dovrebbe operare: e cioè la tutela dei cittadini consumatori.

In quest’ottica il Comune di Isola del Giglio si riserva di tutelare in futuro la propria immagine e la propria comunità nelle sedi più opportune».

In English...

MUNICIPALITY ISOLA DEL GIGLIO

Provincia di Grosseto

Speech by Mayor Ortelli on doubts of Codacons

«If the Codacons really cares about the story of the removal of the Costa Concordia and the Isola del Giglio, as says, why don't you compare with the bodies, instead of making sensationalism? Moreover the Isola del Giglio, for seven months, there is a special Commissioner for the emergency, there are two subjects actuators, an Observatory on the work of removal, there are regional and national bodies in charge of environmental controls such as Arpat and Ispra who perform daily monitoring their work supported by encouraging data and the University of Rome "La Sapienza" that carries out specific monitors.

This is an example of civil protection for the European Union came to study at Isola del Giglio and the municipal administration abides. Any other attempt to set itself up to exclusive truth Paladins contributes only to create further hardship to the island of Giglio and his community already severely tested even contradicting the principle whereby the Codacons itself should work: namely the protection of consumers.

In this context, the municipality of Isola del Giglio reserves to protect the own image and their communities in appropriate fora ".

http://www.giglionews.it/2012081158893/news/isola-del-giglio/intervento-del-sindaco-sui-dubbi-del-codacons.html

No indeed. This whole discussion is funny not. You were a prosecutor, a responsible position. Maybe you could start using the captain's correct name rather than inventing childish ones that are starting to get wearying.

David.

Evidently, you've never encountered cops and prosecutors up close and personal. The nicest terms we use for the bad guys are things like perp, scumbag, dirtbag, etc.

We save our kinder and gentler side for the victims, especially the ones who are killed.

Where is the outrage and anger against this man who put his love life, ego mania and self agrandizment above the safety of ship, crew and passengers?

What surprises me is some posters on this thread feel sorry for him.

Edited by Uniall

"Where is the outrage and anger against this man who put his love life, ego mania and self agrandizment above the safety of ship, crew and passengers? "

Media Speculation! and as yet unproved.

The Last Salute team are trying to rent a room on Giglio in order to get the cam up and running.

Edited by sidari

When did I say that I did know how ships operate...I haven't done...if you and anyone else assumed that I did, well more fool you...I cdertainly didn't say that I had any background in investigations...only that I have studied air crashes for over 35 years...which is absolutely true...my book shelves positively heave under the weight of accident reports dating back to the Inedx Adria/BEA midair crash in 1976.

Now if you and everyone made assumptions about who I am...not my fault.

I like 99% here is just someone looking from the outside in, looking for potential answers in what is one almighty mess.

Making assumptions about anyone is never a good idea ;)

Outside of making a joke, I've never considered you to more more than what you said in the beginning... someone that likes to pretend they are an investigator. I say pretend because you live in far too many "what ifs" and "supposes" to be a real investigator. We have many people here that have way more experience with this subject and you ignore them to go back to your "what ifs."

Here's a "what if" for you...

"What if" the Captain had just sailed from Point A to Point B. We wouldn't be having this conversation.

Another...

What if the Captain hadn't stayed so long at dinner with his "ghost." We wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I could probably come up with more "what ifs" but I like facts more. The one fact that can not be disputed is the Captain didn't go from Point A to Point B and set this whole disaster in motion. From the point of THIS Captain, it doesn't matter what another Captain may have done in the past. It does matter what THIS Capatin did because 32 people died!

"Where is the outrage and anger against this man who put his love life, ego mania and self agrandizment above the safety of ship, crew and passengers? "

Media Speculation! and as yet unproved.

The Last Salute team are trying to rent a room on Giglio in order to get the cam up and running.

Tho the Captain denies it, I'd say there is plently to prove that one part is not just media speculation. :rolleyes:

I do hope Last Salute is able to get back online. Thanks for letting us know they are trying.

Basically then, there are no ship's masters who do not break the rules...both written and unwritten...who say they were on the bridge at a given time, when infact they were asleep in the cabin or wherever.

Assuming that this is correct for all officer ratings, they are always where they are meant to be, doing what they are meant to be doing....

I don't undeerstand why it would make it a difference. Even if someone else were driving the boat when it hit the rocks would it make Schettino less responsible if; say, he was in his cabin with Domenica.

Are these just possible theories you come up with? Where did you hear that Schettino was not driving? I thought it had already been determined that he took over the controls about 8 minutes before the collision.

If he was not the Capt in the Aug '11 sail by of Giglio, My theory is what I have always thought. He is over confident, probably arrogant capt who has daredevil in his blood , competetive in entertaining but risky sail bys and he pushed the limit too far. That would be my theory.