Norovirus on the Ruby

pilot

As I might have mentioned previously, we were on the Ruby last week (Jan 22-29) and the virus wasn't there, then. It's really unfortunate for those traveling this week, for sure. The sanitizing stations were at all ends of the buffet and Cafe Caribe and if you missed, there was the tendency of the staff to grab you and make sure you did it. The salt and pepper shakers were still used because my husband was having trouble getting pepper out of one set. The crew was cleaning and polishing and painting as usual. It must have materialized the last day before our cruisers disembarked, or else someone brought it on with them. And, who is going to say yes to any of the symptoms on that sheet given out in line?? If you paid for the cruise, you want to get on the ship. There was one gentleman eating breakfast by the aft pool on Saturday, I think, who wasn't feeling very well. A couple stopped to talk with him and told him they hoped he was feeling better. Perhaps it was him. I don't know that anyone can pinpoint the origin.

I think that Commodore Romano will work extremely hard to make sure his ship is cleaned.

Lynne

FYI I heard on the news this morning that there is a noro epidemic in the state of South Carolina. Here in our little town of Stowe, Vermont it is also rampant. Our whole family has had it this past week, one after the other. I guess the kids all brought it home from school. So.....it is everywhere not just on cruise ships, very common. Noro virus is brought onto the ships from land.

Yep, gross pretty well sums it up. I complained three times on that particular cruise, and all I ever got was the Okey Dokey. I called Princess Headquarters when I was back on land and they said that what I had observed was not up to Princess standards and would be addressed. I can hardly wait for my next cruise to see if anything has changed.

In the meantime, my habit in the Horizon Court now is to grab a large tumbler, fill it with hot water from the tap, and dunk my utensils after I rub them with a little of my hand cleaner.

Plus, I NEVER rest my eating utensils on the table top. Now that's even more gross.....

No matter where I eat, even on land, I do not put my silverware onto the table surface no matter how good the restaurant is. I just don't trust the table cleaning.

I learned a valuable handwashing technique many years ago during my work life. The company I worked for was very conscientious about informing us of workplace and home safety. Handwashing Technique: After using the bathroom, wash your hands with soap, dry with paper towel and then use the paper towel to open the door and then dispose of the paper towel in the trash can. I noticed that on the Ruby Princess there was a garbage container next to the door. Very convenient.

It seems that a some people I met on the cruise knew of this technique. I was so glad to know this. This technique certainly does make sense.

Hey Carolyn R!

We are boarding the Ruby this Sunday. Wish us luck!

Back in October of 2008, we did the CB repositioning cruise from NY to San Juan.

I specifically remember we were delayed boarding by (2) hours because of a Noro outbreak and the extra attention/time required to thoroughly sanitize the ship.

By the mid point of that cruise, all of the restrictions were lifted and it was "vacation as usual" again. : )

With the Commodore in command of Ruby, I'm sure he will make sure everything is spic and span before we board.

No matter where I eat, even on land, I do not put my silverware onto the table surface no matter how good the restaurant is. I just don't trust the table cleaning.

I learned a valuable handwashing technique many years ago during my work life. The company I worked for was very conscientious about informing us of workplace and home safety. Handwashing Technique: After using the bathroom, wash your hands with soap, dry with paper towel and then use the paper towel to open the door and then dispose of the paper towel in the trash can. I noticed that on the Ruby Princess there was a garbage container next to the door. Very convenient.

It seems that a some people I met on the cruise knew of this technique. I was so glad to know this. This technique certainly does make sense.

In addition to that, I never eat anything with my hands in the buffet...never.

Hi

That norovirus must be a new outbreak because we were on the ship last week and we didn't have it. I feel bad for the people on board now. I have corresponded with them pre-cruise on their roll call.

While not a frequent user of the sanitizer, I used it every time I went to the Buffet and was sure to wash in the restrooms. I came home OK, but hubby picked up a "cold". Be sure to wipe off the buttons on the slot machines, too!! ;)

Lynne

We were on that trip too. This is terrible news. I just hope it doesn't turn off any first timer cruisers. My husband said had this happened on our cruise he would have a totally different opinion about cruising, and he wouldn't want to go on another. I remember, at one point during the trip, thinking "geee, I sure do touch my face a lot... should probably try to stop." Easier said than done.

My wife and I are currently on board & I came down with it 36 hours after boarding. They seem to have brought in a few extra crew in St. Thomas to help stop it. I was confined to our inside cabin for 60 hours. New cases were still appearing this morning when I was down in medical.

I am leaving on the Ruby in three days and have a question. Is it normal Princess policy to delay boarding to provide extra cleaning, before the next group of passengers are embarked ? If I remember correctly, I've read about other ships delaying embarcation by 2-3 hours, and leaving port a few hours late. I'm just trying to get a feel about when to arrive at the port. I normally attempt to get to port around 11:00, to beat the lines. No one likes to wait for hours, at the terminal, if it can be avoided.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Eric

got an "emergency" pdf email from Princess stating they've had the outbreak -- going to begin boarding at 2pm.

check-in procedures will be started at the convention center.

ship plans to leave port at 5pm.

Does Princess usually e-mail everyone about this issue? We have been waiting for over a year for this cruise. Is there a chance we will not sail on Sunday 2/5?

We've gone through this once before on the Caribbean Princess in 2008.

Departed one hour late but still got back on schedule by the first port.

I'm sure all will be well. Just follow all of the precautionary advice everyone has offered in this thread and you'll have a great time!

I saw a report on the news about the schools that have had the outbreak and they said that everything had to be steamed to kill the virus. I'm sure that ships have a strong chemical like bleach for the bathrooms and kitchens.

I hope everyone gets on their cruises as scheduled and has a safe, healthy and fun trip!

Don't forget that soap and warm water washing while singing happy birthday twice is the key to not spreading it! Use you elbow for pushing buttons on the elevator, kleenex for opening doors and only tongs in the buffet! :)

Archived