Inexpensive things to do in Nassau and Freeport

MandynJim

We are looking for inexpensive things to do in Nassau and Freeport in about a month. The beach is good, but which ones are cheap, nice, and not crowded? Is there anything else we should do? We will have our 4yo and 9yo boys with us. TIA!!

I just saw Kayaking that may be fun, are there any independent cheap tour operators?

Edited by MandynJim

Anyone? Other questions, is Blue Lagoon Free? Well if we take a cab and then a Jitney to the island? Thanks

Blue Lagoon is a private island off the coast of Paradise Island. It is accessible by private ferry only. In order to get onto the island you must purchase a beach pass or animal program (dolphins or sea lions).. it is not a public beach. I'ts privately owned and operated.

www.dolphinencounters.com

We are looking for inexpensive things to do in Nassau and Freeport in about a month. The beach is good, but which ones are cheap, nice, and not crowded? Is there anything else we should do? We will have our 4yo and 9yo boys with us. TIA!!

I just saw Kayaking that may be fun, are there any independent cheap tour operators?

Not much is cheap in the bahamas..

Check out www.majestictoursbahamas.com for things to do.

There is a decent free beach (junkanoo beach) near the port. But the better beaches are flanked by hotels and you will need a day pass to use them.

Sheraton would be my pick $25 for adults / $12.50 for kids.

I don't think that your 4 yo would be allowed on a kayaking tour.

It looks like you are going during spring break.. it will be crowded and noise where ever you end up.

We loved the Sheritan, great beach and wonderful pools. Some of my pics are under a thread regarding the Sheritan. Have correct change for the Jitney's they don't make change, but take American money. DH and I had an absolutlely fun and fantastic Jitney ride back from the Sheritan. I had only a 5 on me, and the nice bus driver siad she couldn't make change. I told her it didn't matter, to keep the rest, or pay for someone else's ride, because I take the train and bus every day to work in Atlanta, and it never was that much fun! EVER!

Use of the pools and beach. We brought our own snorkel stuff, but the seas were too choppy to really enjoy it. I saw fish between the sandbars, the DH went out to the rocks but kept getting bashed around.

Pool(the one we IMG_2405.jpgliked

the beach

IMG_2402.jpg

the hot tubs

IMG_2406.jpg

There was a giant slide for the kids, but you have to pay for it, and we just wanted beach and pool. Pool of size not a ship pool.:)

My 5yo and I went to Junkanoo Beach right next to the British Colonial Hilton. It was free, the water was clear, it was a 10-15 minute walk from port and perfect for a low-key beach day, which is what we were looking for!

Cat, that sounds like what I'd like to do when we visit in May. We would plan to walk from the port as well--was it hard to find? Did they have lounges and/or umbrellas for rent? If so, do you know how much they cost?

Many thanks!

Cat, that sounds like what I'd like to do when we visit in May. We would plan to walk from the port as well--was it hard to find? Did they have lounges and/or umbrellas for rent? If so, do you know how much they cost?

Many thanks!

I stumbled upon the beach by accident, though it is easy to find.

The walk from the ship to the port buliding may be longer than the walk to the beach.

Once you leave the port building, turn right down the first street. You will be in the straw market. Go to the end of the street and you will spot Senor Frogs. There is only one way to go at that point and it is left. Follow the sidewalk and it will take you directly to the beach after passing The British Hilton.

I read on another thread that there are chairs for rent, do not know the cost. There was a small hut at the beach that played music and sold food. On your walk to the beach you will pass a Mc Donalds, if you care to get refreshments there.

I stumbled upon the beach by accident, though it is easy to find.

The walk from the ship to the port buliding may be longer than the walk to the beach.

Once you leave the port building, turn right down the first street. You will be in the straw market. Go to the end of the street and you will spot Senor Frogs. There is only one way to go at that point and it is left. Follow the sidewalk and it will take you directly to the beach after passing The British Hilton.

I read on another thread that there are chairs for rent, do not know the cost. There was a small hut at the beach that played music and sold food. On your walk to the beach you will pass a Mc Donalds, if you care to get refreshments there.

By Junkanoo Beach, you will be near Fish Fry, apparently it is a row of local Bahamian restaurant serving local food, beach and food! What could be better.

In looking for something to do in Freeport and after hearing about the Sheraton in Nassau, I emailed Our Lucaya / Radisson Grand Lucayan in Freeport and their reply was:

"We do offer day passes, the cost is $20 per person adults / $10 per child for children 12 and younger. The pass includes use of the pool, chairs, beach, resort scheduled activities, basketball and vollyball. The pass does NOT include food or towels. You may purchase the pass upon your arrival to the harbour or at the hotel. "

I think we are going to do that in freeport and then Blue Lagoon dolphin encouter in Nassau.

I'm so excited, it's soo close :)

• 11 months later...
Not much is cheap in the bahamas..

Check out www.majestictoursbahamas.com for things to do.

There is a decent free beach (junkanoo beach) near the port. But the better beaches are flanked by hotels and you will need a day pass to use them.

Sheraton would be my pick $25 for adults / $12.50 for kids.

I don't think that your 4 yo would be allowed on a kayaking tour.

It looks like you are going during spring break.. it will be crowded and noise where ever you end up.

Hello,

My name is Lydia and I need your expertise.

I would like to learn to snorkel along with my husband. This is a new idea and decided since we will be cruising to Nassau, it would be worth a try.

We are in our mid 60's. We would not want to spend too much money and think that the first lesson should be from the shore.

What are your thoughts on this as well as your opinion?

You can reply via email to my signature below.

Thank you.

Lydia

• 1 year later...

We will be in Freeport and Nassau in early September. Does anyone know about anything in and around the towns to do? We are not beach people and seriously, we'll be on a boat with lots of pools. We don't want to spend our time in port at a pool.

Seems like there has to be something else to do while on the island.

We will be in Freeport and Nassau in early September. Does anyone know about anything in and around the towns to do? We are not beach people and seriously, we'll be on a boat with lots of pools. We don't want to spend our time in port at a pool.

Seems like there has to be something else to do while on the island.

There is a great dining/rum tour that we took in Nassau..it was a terrific experience..two hours - included food drinks, a tour of the rum distillery and even a stop at a local chocolatier - my husband and I both loved it! Let me know if you want the site we booked it through - so much cheaper than booking tours through the ship!!

There is a great dining/rum tour that we took in Nassau..it was a terrific experience..two hours - included food drinks, a tour of the rum distillery and even a stop at a local chocolatier - my husband and I both loved it! Let me know if you want the site we booked it through - so much cheaper than booking tours through the ship!!

You don't need a booking agent for these tours. You can either book directly with the tour company or do it on your own.

http://islandztours.com/our-tours/

The distillery tour is free (and walkable) and the chocolate tour is $10.

How did you manage this tour and the Melia day pass at the same time?

What ship were you on that gives you such a long day in port

Hi

We have been to Nassau several times.

I would suggest a walk to the local beach Junkanoo. It is about a 15 minute walk. You can rent beach chairs & umbrellas. It is a free local beach. So there can be some colorful locals around but we have never been bothered. We spent Christmas Day on the beach in December. The Grandbabies loved it. You walk by McDonalds so you can do a junk food fix -- be aware it is pricey. I think McD's has free WiFi so you can send some pictures to friends back home. There also is free WiFi available outside of Hard Rock; they don't mind you using it just do not stand in front of their sign.

I would suggest going to the Nassau port talk on the ship and finding out where the freebies are for your cruise. After the beach you can hit the stores and pick up the free items -- who knows DH may buy you some bling while walking through. EFFY always gives away free necklaces and then you can buy the studs to match for $10.00. There are two EFFY stores so you can get 2 free necklaces. There is a shop that sells items made of bamboo that gives out free bamboo necklaces. The back of that store has the items that change color in the sun---everything from nail polish to hair accessories to clothes. (sorry I cannot remember the store names at this moment) the boys may enjoy getting shirts that show up the pictures when the sun hits them or frisbees that change color in the sun.

Your boys may enjoy strolling through the Straw Market and picking out some items to take back to friends. All sorts of interesting items are sold.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 year later...