May Try HAL and Eurodam or Westerdam

mnolan770

We are early 40s who have cruised with Celebrity S class ships for the past two years. I've said we would never try any other line. We love Celebrity. However, I'm also very cost conscious. We are looking for a 7 night cruise near the end of the Caribbean season this spring. I've been watching Celebrity and prices are not budging. HAL however has seen a nice drop in the past week or so with SZ suites on Eurodam for $1099. Celebrity Eclipse is currently over $2K per person for a suite.

So obviously this is a HAL board, so I expect positive feedback. But would love some feedback from you all re: booking the SZ guaranty on Eurodam or Westerdam. $1100 per person a good rate? Any of you cruised Celebrity S class? Comparisons?

Thanks

We are early 40s who have cruised with Celebrity S class ships for the past two years. I've said we would never try any other line. We love Celebrity. However, I'm also very cost conscious. We are looking for a 7 night cruise near the end of the Caribbean season this spring. I've been watching Celebrity and prices are not budging. HAL however has seen a nice drop in the past week or so with SZ suites on Eurodam for $1099. Celebrity Eclipse is currently over $2K per person for a suite.

So obviously this is a HAL board, so I expect positive feedback. But would love some feedback from you all re: booking the SZ guaranty on Eurodam or Westerdam. $1100 per person a good rate? Any of you cruised Celebrity S class? Comparisons?

Thanks

That is a good price IMO;) an SZ guarantee usually works out well, but you could end up in SY (not great). If you can select a room in SS and the price isn't much higher, I would tend to do that (then cross your fingers for an upgrade or upsell offer to SA, SB, SC.). If you like the guarantee game, then go ahead with the SZ guarantee. Most assignments from this are good but there is a small risk of the SY cabin which I wouldn't want

Have sailed Century but not S class so I would be hesitant to compare;)

That is a good price IMO;) an SZ guarantee usually works out well, but you could end up in SY (not great). If you can select a room in SS and the price isn't much higher, I would tend to do that (then cross your fingers for an upgrade or upsell offer to SA, SB, SC.). If you like the guarantee game, then go ahead with the SZ guarantee. Most assignments from this are good but there is a small risk of the SY cabin which I wouldn't want

Have sailed Century but not S class so I would be hesitant to compare;)

Good advice. Thanks. I was assuming that the SZ was the most unattractive of the suites. Good to know about the SY.

Good advice. Thanks. I was assuming that the SZ was the most unattractive of the suites. Good to know about the SY.

the SY is the least attractive on most ships. Smaller balconies - most are HC cabins.

Both Westerdam and Eurodam are lovely ships and we sailed both in the last year and a half/two years. All things being equal, I would suggest you consider Eurodam for her nice itinerary and the added advantage of her having Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den Lounge. Only Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have them and we really enjoy that restaurant. Pan Asian food done so well with delightful service by Indonesian ladies.

Both Westerdam and Eurodam are lovely ships and we sailed both in the last year and a half/two years. All things being equal, I would suggest you consider Eurodam for her nice itinerary and the added advantage of her having Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den Lounge. Only Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have them and we really enjoy that restaurant. Pan Asian food done so well with delightful service by Indonesian ladies.

Thanks. I am leaning towards Eurodam because she is the newer of the two. The week we can go, the itinerary is a bit weak, San Juan, St Thomas, and the HAL private island. But that is actually fine with us. I'm good just hanging on the ship to relax.

There have been reports of vibrations on the Eurodam by recent cruisers. Not sure how much that should influence you but you might want to check out some of those threads if vibrations bother you.

Thanks. I am leaning towards Eurodam because she is the newer of the two. The week we can go, the itinerary is a bit weak, San Juan, St Thomas, and the HAL private island. But that is actually fine with us. I'm good just hanging on the ship to relax.
I love Celebrity and HAL equally. I chose by intineary and price. HAL's prices are more reasonable and both have their pros and cons (mostly pros). I wasn't crazy about going to HAL's private island when we booked that trip but of all the islands I have been to, this was one of my fondest memories of turquoise water, white sand, snorkeling, an incredible cook out - just a glorious day. I didn't want to leave. Enjoy whatever you decide. And, yes, I think the price is amazing compare to what I have paid in the past for similar cruise.

The rate of $1100 for an SZ (guarantee) is excellent. We have sailed on ms Eurodam and Westerdam, both ships are beautiful. The Westerdam will be in dry dock in April, so that may be something to consider when making your choice. We sailed RCL and NCL previously, and will never go back after experiencing HAL, but I would consider Celebrity in the future as I have heard good things. :)

Last year we booked an SZ on the Westerdam, got an offer to upgrade to SA for $400 pp and turned it down, then another offer a week later for $199 pp, we took that. We were very happy and grateful to enjoy an SA suite for such a good price!

The price you quoted is really good. I would jump in and experience HAL, I think you will like it, especially for that price. Best Wishes! :)

HAL is really twisting my arm on this one. I just noticed a marketing email offering the SZ suite on Westerdam for $999. May have to pull the trigger on this one. I like the sounds of this intenirary. We've never done the Southern Caribbean since those typically leave from San Juan.

Archived