Insurance for Ice Rink

Just a word of warning- don't know if this is common knowledge or just specific to UK insurance companies. I have just purchased a single trip travel insurance policy for our 20 yr old for our upcoming cruise on Navigator and was told I would have to buy separate winter sports cover if he wanted to use the ice rink on the ship!!

It has never occurred to me before that this was the case. Has anyone come across this before- or had a claim refused for injury occurring on the ice rink & the insurance policy did not cover winter sports?

I don't know whether to ban him from the rink- or just hope he stays on his feet!!:confused:

I trawled through PDS's of several insurance companies before choosing one that covered rock climbing and ice skating - most dont cover it - even though it is a fake wall - you are not covered if you are using rockclimbing equipment.

People should really be made aware of this, I was super paranoid about ending up with a huge US medical bill.

I trawled through PDS's of several insurance companies before choosing one that covered rock climbing and ice skating - most dont cover it - even though it is a fake wall - you are not covered if you are using rockclimbing equipment.

People should really be made aware of this, I was super paranoid about ending up with a huge US medical bill.

Just stay home, never leave the house and pray that a huge rock doesn't fall out of the sky and crush you...:rolleyes:...K.O. Near Philly

Just a word of warning- don't know if this is common knowledge or just specific to UK insurance companies. I have just purchased a single trip travel insurance policy for our 20 yr old for our upcoming cruise on Navigator and was told I would have to buy separate winter sports cover if he wanted to use the ice rink on the ship!!

It has never occurred to me before that this was the case. Has anyone come across this before- or had a claim refused for injury occurring on the ice rink & the insurance policy did not cover winter sports?

I don't know whether to ban him from the rink- or just hope he stays on his feet!!:confused:

Any dangerous sport including Zip line, para sailing and rock climbing will require extra insurance. It is because these are considered hight risk sports were accidents happen more often.

Dear friends:

I think what this thread is implicitly advocating is the fact that certain activities nowadays are considered so common and so well-known on major cruise ships (ice skating, rock wall, even zip-line to a certain extent) that they should be built into the common protection of travel insurance and not be subject to any premium surcharge.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Insurance companies only insure you for low risk items and take hefty premiums when they know the likely hood of needing it is slim. Like home insurance.

When you want something that has a risk, like sports, than they sock you with additional premiums, because they know they will pay out more. So your home insurance, has hurricane, flood, tornado, snow, sink hole, tsunami insurance riders.

So they take you money, and cover next to nothing, and than you must customize it.:D

I had no hesitation in letting my kids participate in these activities - I just didnt want to be landed with a huge medical bill for a minor injury that could have occurred and required a trip to the ships doctor. :eek:

BTW most policies also state that they will not cover you if you are "under the influence of alcohol" - they dont state to what degree, so if you have a glass of wine and trip down the stairs twisting your ankle and breaking your leg, because you are wearing high heels that you only ever wear on formal night,

Not sure about US citizens, but as an overseas visitor, I was extremely paranoid about getting a massive US medical bill, so wanted to make sure that everything was covered.

Archived