Queen Victoria Transatlantic Experience

SavvyCruiserNJ

Although 'cruise ships' the QV and QE have reinforced hulls around the bows to make them strong enough or the Atlantic. It would also depend on the time of the year you go as weather would be a major factor. DEFINATLEY would not handle as well as the QM2. There are videos of the QV on YouTube ploughing through the atlantic in rough weather with the bow completely going under the waves. But generally I think it wouldn't be too bad, like I said, weather is the main factor, for any ship really...

Steve

We'll be doing the March 2012 Transatlantic - anyone know what kind of mood the ocean will be in early spring?

The March 16th crossing on QV? Still winter, no? I bet you'll avoid a massive snow storm on the east coast :) - but as to what mood the sea will be in at that time, who knows? -Salacia

Hi,

We crossed the Atlantic last December at 30 degrees north and there was no problem at all.

However, Just bear in mind that the further north you are, the weather will be less settled, especially in Spring and Autumn. (Southampton is 50 degrees north and New York 40 degrees north).

Having said that, we have also sailed on the ship through a Force 9 in the Bay of Biscay in November on more than one occasion, and she handles extremely well.

Don't worry...I'm sure you will have a great trip!

Hi,

We crossed the Atlantic last December at 30 degrees north and there was no problem at all.

However, Just bear in mind that the further north you are, the weather will be less settled, especially in Spring and Autumn. (Southampton is 50 degrees north and New York 40 degrees north).

Having said that, we have also sailed on the ship through a Force 9 in the Bay of Biscay in November on more than one occasion, and she handles extremely well.

Don't worry...I'm sure you will have a great trip!

Hi,

We have crossed the Atlantic both ways many times and have had only one rough crossing ( which we actually enjoyed ) We are on QV in March (B2B) following our Panama Cruise from LA to NY.

Harvey and Barbara.

How does the ship handle in a transatlantic? can we expect to be tossed about? Or will it be relatively smooth?

We just completed our Panama round trip a few weeks back. The ship is great(in calm seas)It relly tosses around in even fairly moderate seas. QM2 just goes up & down. The QV goes side to side as well. This really threw a lot of pax of their footing. The other thing that happened was this "rumbling" that would travel the length of the ship. It was a "harmonic vibration from the waves. It could get fairly annoying when trying to sleep, and we were on deck 8.

I can only relate my two transatlantic experiences on the "Big Liz." Both crossings were in January, and both crossings had heavy seas and full gale winds. Waves hit the Commodore Club's windows both times. I found it interesting that Capt. Julian Burgess slowed the ship down to 6 knots during the worst of the 2011 crossing and Christopher Wells had her down to 14 during last month's voyage, with similar conditions.

I would gladly make a third crossing on either ship, but would be very particular on my rooms location. Last year I was slightly forward of midships on 8 deck. There was certainly movement, but it was smooth and steady, certainly nothing that would knock a person off their feet. This past month I was in room 5194 on the stern. It was not a smooth ride; it was violent. The room vibrated, shook from side to side, shifted, rose and fell, tilted, jumped, bounced, and squeaked. It was a challenge to walk less alone stand. Even for men all toileting was best done while sitting unless one wanted a wet floor and bulkhead.

If you go get a midships room. I would avoid any room near the stern including Queens Grill rooms. I did enjoy the Queen Grill life in spite of my room's location. The cuisine and service were stellar. I gave the dining experience on the "Big Liz" higher marks than in Queens Grill on the "Mary" the week before, but unless upgraded to the Queens Grill rooms which are midships, I doubt that I will ever have that experience again. I would, if the bank account allows, book a midships Princess Grill room, and refuse any upgrade that would put me so far astern.

Archived