Live from the RCOA - on QM2

Whitemarsh

But I'm sure you don't have a half-mile walk between bedroom and diningroom!

The half-mile walk didn't help me. I still put on between 3 to 4 kgs.

It's a shock coming back to reality isn't it. I had to make my own cup of tea!:eek:

It's a shock coming back to reality isn't it. I had to make my own cup of tea!:eek:

I know, it's just not right is it! And it never tastes the same either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your reports were informative and amusing. You reminded me of our cruise, when the stories about the launderette among the people dining near us kept us laughing on a daily basis. It became a big deal when they 30 for 30 special was offered on each leg, sparing us one trip to launder.

Last year's world cruise was blessed with terrific weather. Only 1 in 94 days did I feel like a drunk while walking down the hall. We'd feel a jolt once in a while while dancing, but it never kept us away.

Glad the refurbishment was to your liking. Last year it was quite evident it was needed, worn or stained carpeting, especially near launderettes, and many dents on the baseboards. But the funniest were the deep indentations in the floor of the Brittania Restaurant, as the floor was sinking. We walked thru there to/from Br. Club and wondered how some of the less mobile passengers didn't trip.

The corniest, and sweetest, memory was of the group sing alongs in the main reception area on sea days. I'd pass by there and see people really enjoying themselves.

Hope you'll travel and blog again soon

• 2 months later...

I have just booked the 12 night Royal Circumnavigation of New Zealand for March 2013 in Princess Grill (the last booking before it closed I was told by Cunard).

Whitemarsh, reading your reports has really inspired me. Many thanks for all the details!

Hu Pushka - enjoy the Med and France. We were booked to do the Eastern Med on Crystal last year but had to cancel. We are now booked for Galapagos on the small Celebrity Xpedition in October and will visit Machu Picchu and the Amazon when over there. Qantas had a good flight deal a couple of weeks back so that helped.

Had a 2 night Dawn Princess Sydney to Brisbane last weekend. Not a patch on QM2 in terms of ship, ambience or the quality of the overall experience. Suffice to say, not looking to go Princess again.

Had a 2 night Dawn Princess Sydney to Brisbane last weekend. Not a patch on QM2 in terms of ship, ambience or the quality of the overall experience. Suffice to say, not looking to go Princess again.

I had a colleague from work do New Zealand on the Sun Princess. They too didn't enjoy the experience.

Whitemarsh, reading your reports has really inspired me. Many thanks for all the details!

Thank you. :)

I had a colleague from work do New Zealand on the Sun Princess. They too didn't enjoy the experience.

We enjoyed the weekend away - who wouldn't - had good weather, smooth seas, whales and dolphins but the ship did not impress in many ways. Sure that there will be fans of the Dawn Princess out there somewhere, just not me.

Did enjoy the blog too Whitemarsh. Did you end up booking NZ?

We enjoyed the weekend away - who wouldn't - had good weather, smooth seas, whales and dolphins but the ship did not impress in many ways. Sure that there will be fans of the Dawn Princess out there somewhere, just not me.

Did enjoy the blog too Whitemarsh. Did you end up booking NZ?

Yes, and them some. I'm doing Singapore to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Sydney and then the New Zealand circumnavigation (Sydney to Sydney). 38 nights in total. I haven't been to Saigon, Bangkok or Shanghai so I am very excited about those ports.

Yes, and them some. I'm doing Singapore to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Sydney and then the New Zealand circumnavigation (Sydney to Sydney). 38 nights in total. I haven't been to Saigon, Bangkok or Shanghai so I am very excited about those ports.

Wow - what a fabulous trip! Bet soon you will end up doing a full world cruise!!! Princess Grill again?

Wow - what a fabulous trip! Bet soon you will end up doing a full world cruise!!! Princess Grill again?

I don't know about that, a world cruise would be too long for me I think. This time I'll be doing Britannia, it will be my first time and I'm looking forward to experiencing the difference.

I've worked out that if I want to cruise every year (on Cunard) I have to do one year Grills on - on year Grills off, Grills on - Grills off, and so on. I'll either like the experience and continue to cruise each year, or I won't, and I'll go back to cruising every two years.

I also want to try other cruise lines, like Celebrity.

Whitemarsh, I wonder if the Grills experience has spoiled you and if you find Britannia less enjoyable. We are vaguely looking at Singapore to HongKong but cannot commit at present. We have been on Celebrity (Millennium class Infinity) and found it great. A sky suite is a good compromise of price and amenities though others like aqua class. You might like Azamara as well, much smaller but good service and can get into interesting ports. I look forward to hearing about the next QM2 experience.

My first ever cruise was 14 night Royal Meditteranean on the QM2 in 2006. We were in Britannia (a B1 sheltered balcony) and it was a fabulous experience, I had no absolutely no issues with Britannia at all. In fact I felt sorry for the grills passengers who had such average looking dining rooms!

I've done two more QM2 cruises in Britannia, and both have been great.

The only disappointment I have had so far was Celebrity. We were in a sky suite, which was nice, but I did not enjoy the ship, service or food, the whole Celebrity experience really.

We have done two Asia cruises - one 13 night on RCI Legend of the Seas and 16 nights on the Diamond Princess Singapore to Beijing in March this year.

The ports are amazing - particularly Shanghai, Beijing, HK, Saigon, Nagasaki. I would definitely recommend Asia and would love to add it to a Aus/NZ itinerary, but unfortunately work does not make it possible :)

This time it will be a stopover in Singapore for work, then flight to Sydney, circumnavigation of NZ, stopover in HK for work on the way back.

I am really looking forward to getting back on the QM2. It will be a first in Grills, so hoping to enjoy the experience. We can compare notes with your Britannia experience on this segment!

Archived