Live from the RCOA - on QM2

Whitemarsh

Thanks so much Whitemarsh for your outstanding review. I will miss your updates. My husband and I were onboard from Sydney to Fremantle and we enjoyed our voyage too.

Hope you settle back into life on the shore and are busy planning your next trip.

A pleasure to meet everyone on the Adelaide meet. Currently I am handcuffed to a deck chair on deck 7 as I don't want to disembark. Four nights is too short but a great taster. Maybe New Zealand next year but I rather fancy Singapore and Hong Kong ports. Must do some research. Safe travels back home Folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Another passenger has unfortunately passed away. This brings the total to five.

<snip>

So I'll end this blog here as we're docked in Melbourne. I hope you've enjoyed reading it.

On the first point: WOW. Am I the only one that is shocked by this? I'm sure this happens but 5 people??

On the second point, I echo the feeling that your updates were very informative and enjoyable (except for the people dying!). thanks for taking the time.

On the first point: WOW. Am I the only one that is shocked by this? I'm sure this happens but 5 people??

Not sure why you would be so shocked at this ? :confused: If you had 2500 people in the age group 60-80 somewhere ashore, how many would you expect to die over a period of 28 days?

Barry

Hey Pushka

Would like to see them try to get you off the ship!! (fighting and screaming?):rolleyes:

Great to meet you. Hope you enjoy your next cruise and glad you enjoyed this one. We had a good time, 4 days is a long weekend.. and what a great weekend it was. Particularly liked the bars (Commodore Club and Chart Room). They are a lot more intimate than on most of the other ships we have been on where the bars are more like huge barns. The choice of spirits was pretty good too!

Debarkation was very well organised and we were off within a few minutes - lots of taxis and very painless!In the airport lounge on way home now. Till next time.

Jenny

Peter, thanks for the very lively blog. How refreshing it was to read! While I did not chime in with comments, I followed your adventure around Oz. Your love of Queen Mary 2 is infectious. The full world cruise awaits you and Robin next!:)

I am back at work and still have not had the time for a detailed read through all the entries in the Blog.

However, this was most definitely my best cruise ever, and the fantastic atmosphere on board had a lot to do with Peter and Robin and their extended group of friends, who were all keen to sample everything the ship had to offer. It is easy to have a good time when you are with such a wonderful group of people.

I am back at work and still have not had the time for a detailed read through all the entries in the Blog.

However, this was most definitely my best cruise ever, and the fantastic atmosphere on board had a lot to do with Peter and Robin and their extended group of friends, who were all keen to sample everything the ship had to offer. It is easy to have a good time when you are with such a wonderful group of people.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you all enjoyed reading. :)

I'm sad it's over but at the same time satisfied, we had three great weeks onboard.

And Louise - I couldn't agree more, this was the best cruise ever for us as well. Thanks for making it such great fun.

Not sure why you would be so shocked at this ? :confused: If you had 2500 people in the age group 60-80 somewhere ashore, how many would you expect to die over a period of 28 days?

Barry

hmm, not that many. That's way above the normal death rate. This had to be an oddity ( I hope anyway).

Rob

hmm, not that many. That's way above the normal death rate. This had to be an oddity ( I hope anyway).

Rob

The US mortality rate is around 8/1000 for all age groups in an annual period. As the demographic on a World Cruise is significantly older the rate will rise dramatically so in a three month period I don't think that 5 deaths is surprising.

Peter, it was lovely to finally meet you and thanks also for organising the M&Gs.

Will miss your blog it's been fantastic reading all the detail. Hope you have (had?) a safe trip home and didn't get too wet in Sydney - I've never seen so much rain.

To all the other CCers hope you had as enjoyable a cruise as we did and it was lovely meeting you too and especially Pushka - keep in touch.

Vera

Hi Vera. Yes, Sydney was rather miserable yesterday. Nice to get home to 27 degree sunshine here in Adelaide. It was great meeting up with you - what was it, several times a day after the meet and greet! :p

I have had to do some work on a work project today and havent unpacked yet after arriving home last night.

Perhaps we could continue this thread with things we bought from the QM2? I hate going Cold Turkey!

Well, I'll start.

Two lanyards - not for tickets (which we sadly had to give up) but to make sure I didnt drop my camera overboard whilst filming.

A teddy bear, of course!:D The red Vest one

Two Scottish crystal champagne flutes that chime very agreeably when touched.

Three crystal spirit measures (for those in my family that love their spirits)

Two travelling mugs.

Two QM2 striped long sleeve T shirts.

I think that's about it for me.

The Cunard shop look decimated by the time everyone disemabrked in Sydney. I think even the Teddy bears disappeared.:eek:

And I still have my Pol Aker. Is it safe to drink? :) And oh dear, I have Sailed! on my Signature. That's sad.

I did a little research on this, and apparently this is very common on World Cruises. Even 8 deaths per World Cruise is not unusual it seems. I suppose a good number passengers on this type of cruise are of advanced age. Not a bad way to "sail off into the sunset".

Barry

Well I would assume there are many who are 80 and above. 60 is still a bit young (another 18 years for me, and I plan to be young and healthy then too). Don't you know that 60 is the new 30 for heaven's sake!?? ;) Well it is.

Back to reality for all of us - such miserable weather too! I am lucky as I do not go back to work for another week (I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off which is quite pleasant).

Pushka - hope you were not overweight on the flight home with all the shopping! I remember one trip where we had to buy a new suitcase (small carry on to be fair) to bring home some floor rugs from Iceland!

Waiting for Peter and any one else's reviews - can't be far off now - I figure 4 days is a bit short to write a meaningful review even though we had a great time.

Pushka - hope you were not overweight on the flight home .........

For a moment there I thought you were talking about how much I had eaten! :eek: :D. But surprising for me after eating Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Afternoon teas, I didn't gain any weight! Yet at home I don't eat breakfast, just a couple of small things for lunch, no afternoon tea and a normal dinner. Weird.

I don't think you were there when I was telling 3rdgencunarder that I had to buy a suitcase with all the shopping I did in New York a couple of years ago. :o

The weather in Adelaide is stunning, which is something. 27 degrees since we got back home and sparkling sunshine. March is our best weather.

Straight back to work for me as my project continued Friday. And then yesterday, the Saturday of a long weekend here our server went down and as it is our own business, guess who got the job of sorting it out.

Have you checked out the thread with pictures and you tubes of our short trip? Its on this Cunard board.

Hi Pushka

I have checked out the thread - you have some great videos. I didn't take the video camera this time, though not sure why??

Where did you say you were cruising later this year? Sorry, I think you mentioned it on one of the threads but I seem to have forgotten (is that something to do with my advanced years?)

Jenny

Hi Jenny. We are doing a 7 night Med cruise from Barcelona on Liberty of the Seas in July. As well as 3 weeks driving through France. I was pleased with the clarity of the video as I just used my normal camera and not a video recorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a moment there I thought you were talking about how much I had eaten! :eek: :D. But surprising for me after eating Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Afternoon teas, I didn't gain any weight! Yet at home I don't eat breakfast, just a couple of small things for lunch, no afternoon tea and a normal dinner. Weird.

But I'm sure you don't have a half-mile walk between bedroom and diningroom!

Archived