Which Ruins?

azseas

Altun Ha ruins?

Lamanai ruins?

Xunantunich ruins?

Tried search but could not find the answer to this -- our one and only trip to Belize port. We love ruins and ancient history -- which of the three ruins should we go to? (If it matters we also love waterfalls and jungle).

I was wondering the same. I have been to Lamanai and it was beautiful, but the hot walk through the jungle on a 100+ degree day was a bit much for me. Since we will be returning at about the same time of year (May), just a two weeks earlier, I am wondering if Alta Ha would be a better option. I have read that the access to Alta Ha is easier and it would be nice to see a different ruins for me (DH did not go with me last time. He went cave tubing). Both trips involve a river cruise when booked through Princess which I very much enjoyed last time.

Our other option is a snorkeling trip, which is tempting since the heat I experienced in Belize is so emblazoned on my memory. But since we will probably be doing the beach and snorkeling at our other three ports, I was thinking something a little different in Belize would be nice.

I did some research for our cruise on Voyager back in Feb 2010. I was informed that Lamanai is the most expansive of the 3 ruins. It is also the farthest away from port and requires a bus ride and then a ride on a boat up river. Therefore, if you are coming off a cruise ship you will have the least amount of time to explore the ruins. The river ride is supposed to be nice as you travel up river through some dense jungle.

Xunantunich is closer and requires less travel time to get to. It is a moderate size place.

Altun Ha is the closest to port but is the smallest of the 3.

Unfortunately, we ended up not going to any of them on that cruise, but we have another cruise to Belize booked for Dec 2012 and plan on visiting one of them this time...just about have to, we'll be there on 12/20/2012! :eek:

Pete

I did some research for our cruise on Voyager back in Feb 2010. I was informed that Lamanai is the most expansive of the 3 ruins. It is also the farthest away from port and requires a bus ride and then a ride on a boat up river. Therefore, if you are coming off a cruise ship you will have the least amount of time to explore the ruins. The river ride is supposed to be nice as you travel up river through some dense jungle.

Xunantunich is closer and requires less travel time to get to. It is a moderate size place.

Altun Ha is the closest to port but is the smallest of the 3.

Unfortunately, we ended up not going to any of them on that cruise, but we have another cruise to Belize booked for Dec 2012 and plan on visiting one of them this time...just about have to, we'll be there on 12/20/2012! :eek:

Pete

HI, Pete! Which cruise are you taking in Dec? We will be on the Celebrity Equinox which is supposed to be in Belize on 12/18/12...guess we will "just miss you!" I appreciate your info on the ruins as those are one of the reasons we booked the cruise we did.

Anne and Bob from Maryland

I can't compare as I haven't been on all 3, but I did just return from my cruise today where we went to Lamanai.

It is a LONG day, but very enjoyable. The boat ride was awesome! The site is very expansive, but you only tour about 5 sites there. Regardless, the sites that you do see are incredible. I have been to Chocobbaben (sp?) near Costa Maya and these were much larger. If you like to climb, you definitely get the opportunity at this site. I did hear from others that they were the best for that.

Since this is a full day and furthest away from the cruise docks, I would recommend to use the ships tour. I normally hate to use their tours due to the larger crowds, but this was well managed. We were on the first tender out and arrived with 8 minutes to the last tender back. Our ship was in port from 9-6 and we were the only ship in port that day.

I can't figure out how to get my pictures down to size to upload here, but I have made my facebook album for this cruise open to all to view (you shouldn't be able to see my other stuff, just the pics from the cruise). The Lamanai pictures are about 1/2 way down, I think.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2797087442064.2117863.1104834242&type=3&l=2b718f6ae0

Archived