The Mysterious Fanning Island

hcf

I was surprised to come across the many postings about the NCL Hawaiian cruises not making it to Fanning Island. My family went on the Wind for the Hawaiian cruise either in 1998 or 1999 and encountered the same experience! The Captain made the announcement that someone had suffered a heart attack as we were nearing Fanning Island - we could already see the beach. Then he announced a helicopter would be coming to pick up the patient but we could not go into Fanning Island because the tide was too far out. We were anchored for a long time, waiting for the helicopter. Then we turned around to go back to Hawaii. We were not at the part of the ship to see the helicopter land and take the patient on board. Everyone on board just took it as an unfortunate incident.

It's rather strange that similar "incidents" continue to happen on these Hawaiian cruises. I did some research on the internet about Fanning Island and came across the following interesting links:

http://www.honoluluweekly.com/cover/detail.php?id=61

http://www.pacificislandtravel.com/kiribati/about_destin/tabuaeran.html

I wonder if NCL has beenn trying to work out a balance with the local Kiribati government in terms of the frequency of visits allowed?

Other posters' opinions?

:rolleyes:

Yes. I heard a story that JFK was shot by someone from Fanning Island.......

Please people, before we get too worked up, think about a few real facts:

I visited Fanning Island 153 times on Norwegian Star. We missed the island 17 times in 3.5 years. 12 of the missed calls were due to medical emergencies; 5 were due to mechanical problems. Every time the ship missed due to mechanical problems, NCL had to pay a fine (nearly $1 Million each time) to US Customs for violating the Passenger Services Act. A few of the times we missed in order to save someone's life, NCL was still required to pay the nearly $1 Million fine. As a result of paying those fines, all profit realized by the Norwegian Star over a nearly 4 year period in Hawaii was wiped out. (Does anyone now realize why they took the Star away from Hawaii??)

1. Most cruise ships - most of the time - usually sail in areas of the world where there is nearly always an inhabited island or country just a few hours away. In case of medical emergency, the ship can make good speed to get there quickly - or call for a helicopter to evacuate a medical case. Fanning Island is 1200 Nautical Miles South of Hilo, Hawaii. There is nearly NOTHING between Hilo and Fanning. A few coral atolls in the area have minimal medical facilities. That's it. The farthest a US Coast Guard Helicopter will fly to pick up a medical case is about 100 Nautical Miles. That means for most of the Star's trip to Fanning, it would be impossible to evacuate a dying passenger. The only alternative is to retrurn to Hawaii.

2. Many of the passengers whose lives had to be saved by missing Fanning Island should never have been on a cruise ship. They were seriously ill before they boarded the ship. But nearly ever time, their relatives really wanted to take them on that "last cruise". What they were really doing was gambling with the lives of their loved ones - and with the cruise experience of everyone else onboard. Every time the Star missed Fanning Island to save the life of one of these unfortunate people, many others - including NCL stockholders - lost a lot of money.

I was on the Wind in Nov 2002 and we made it down to Fanning Island with no problems. Seas were just a little rough coming back but no bid deal. I really enjoyed the visit there and rented a bike and rode it a long way around the Island checking out what it was really like. I ride bikes a lot and this was a great recommendation by Laura (I believe that was her name) who was the fitness director on the ship. I tolk my 35mm camera and got some beautiful pictures. :)

I was on the Star in November 2002 and we did visit Fanning Island. Having been to Hawaii (by land) many, many times previously, Fanning Island was the most memorable experience of the cruise and one I would love to repeat. It was a step back in time, although by having NCL visit every so often I'm sure we've really wrecked their culture!

We met people on board (from Hawaii) that had been on either the Star or Wind before and missed Fanning Island (because of a sea rescue). With the Jones Act I rather doubt that NCL would miss that island on purpose. :)

I took the Star to Fanning in Jan. 2003 and it was beautiful. The cruise was great, the ocean was suddenly calm, it was sureal. It took a long time to board the tenders, the pier had been broken apart by a storm the night before but the Captain went on the island and made the call that it was okay to go. So he made a good call and all were happy. But, when we left, :eek: we had terriable waves for the entire night. The ship rocked! So.....I planned a trip in Nov 2003 to share the experiance of Fanning with DH, we left Hilo Monday evening headed for Fanning, and enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our balcony. When I woke up to watch the sun rise, it was off our balcony!:mad: We had turned around at 3 am and headed back to Hawaiian waters. Someone had a heart attack and the helicopter was going to meet up with the ship. It was interesting watching it land on the ship. We learned later that the man passed 20 minutes after the lift. So no Fanning and no life saved. :( I was disappointed about both. If the Star was still here, I would try again. No interest in the Wind, so its the Sun to Canada in May for us!:p

i disagree with the person who mentioned that the people who needed rescued should not have been on the cruise in the first place. i was on the wind in february and while the majority of cruisers were "older", i don't think that means they are going to ruin anyone's trip by a mishap or illness. we missed fanning island because a passenger was badly injured due to rough seas. the poor woman fell and broke her hip! not her fault at all! there were plenty of people who were very upset that we missed fanning island, but i would rather have someone in severe pain be treated for injury than take personal offense that they ruined my trip. if i were the injured party, i think i'd rather not have my life at stake on a ship than worry about whether or not everyone else made it to fanning island! and i think if most people were "in the same boat" they would feel the same.

i've heard mixed reviews of fanning island. some say it is amazing while others say it's nothing special. i hope someday to find out for myself!

153 times -- that is simply amazing!! We have done 4 trips to Fanning, but only missed it this last time. Again, a medical emergency as nebraskanative's was. But how strange -- we had heard that a woman on our cruise also broke her hip and that is why we turned around -- as well we should!!

i've heard mixed reviews of fanning island. some say it is amazing while others say it's nothing special. i hope someday to find out for myself!

I hope you do get the chance to see it for yourself. We loved visiting Fanning Island - not for the scenery but for the opportunity to visit this area and talk to the people living there. We took a walking tour with one of the residents and were fascinated by their way of life and enjoyed it immensely.

I was thinking of bringing a bunch of children's books to give out to the kids when we are in Fanning, but would they be interested if these were in English? Does anyone have any idea if they learn any English? Thanks.

I was on the Wind, Mar 19th and we also made it to Fanning Island...I loved it there and thought the people on the island were wonderful..I sat down on the beach and watched them perform..I also took lot's of pictures of them dancing on the platforms...The kids were also great. My daughter and I went to the dollar store before the cruise and bought about $50.00 in toys for the kids...My daughter gave one of the girls a deck of Old Maids...If you could have seen the smile on her face...It was touching..

We loved Fanning too we had a wonderful time, I had my photo taken with the children then gave them some money and the little ones put it straight in the donation box as they are trying to build a new church it was so touching. We thought the 2 days there and back were wonderful and relaxing as the itinary when you first get on board is go go go.

Here are a few other articles about Fanning Island. It says English is widely spoken & taught in the school, but that most children do not speak it well. Maybe some beginner books? I've also read of people bringing crayons, but they had no paper then, so I guess if you bring color books, bring something to color them with.

http://www.hawaiiportreviews.com/FanningIsland.htm

http://www.caribou.k12.me.us/secondary/chs/library/E-World%20Guide/wtg/data/kir/kirMiniguide.htm

http://www.drango.com/hawaii/fanningisland.htm

I may hit up the Dollar store or maybe order some bulk items from Oriental Trading. Karen

We went to Fanning on the Star in May/2002, and it was an unbelievable experience. Having limited time for cruising, I'm not sure we would do it again, but for our first cruise, we liked the opportunity of experiencing some back to back sea days, as well as our tour or Hawaii. As stated, the water there was absolutely beautiful, and it was HOT HOT HOT.

I was just wondering; with all the cruises that have now stopped there, and the thousands of passengers that have visited, are the gifts to the children still a good thing to do. I would almost think they would need to raise money for a "warehouse". We too shared some things with the kids, but it was relatively new at that time.

I have no problem with it, but was just wondering!!

You may be right, Tom, I didn't think of that. From what I've read, it's so hard to get anything to the island, that no one has much of anything, but for the kids, they may be "junk toy-ed" out, like the McDonald's toys that seemed to multiple in my kids play room. Does anyone from the recent cruises know or have any suggestions of what might be needed, desired or appreciated?

Thanks for the interesting links and all the info. Good to know they learn English, I'll be bringing a big bag of good quality literature, children's classics and I hope someone can read to them. Its always a question as to whether development is a good thing or not. I'm reading Michener's 'Hawaii' now as a prelude to the trip, its so interesting. Well thanks everyone for the info.

Thanks for the interesting links and all the info. Good to know they learn English, I'll be bringing a big bag of good quality literature, children's classics and I hope someone can read to them. Its always a question as to whether development is a good thing or not. I'm reading Michener's 'Hawaii' now as a prelude to the trip, its so interesting. Well thanks everyone for the info.

I tried to read that book when I was in school, many years ago, as it was a hot seller when it came out. I was not much into reading, but everyone was talking about it. I was not even scared off by the size, laid out some valuable cash, and dug in. I was told that once you get by the beginning, it's a great read. I guess I'll never know, unless I try again. We would like to go back, so thanks for the the reminder, and I just may give a try.

Back in May 03, we took tons of toys, blow up balls, etc. The children really liked them. The head school master said they needed sports equipment and books. We took the toys in nice hockey type bags and the school was glad to have them. At that time, they had a room full of toys and books (mix matched for reading, not curicculum).

Archived