UPDATE: I Bought A Camera!

Teacher_91

UPDATE: I Bought A Camera! :D

Way back in December, I asked about cameras. The Mr. & I are going to Alaska in July and wanted a new camera, so I thought I'd report back what I (FINALLY) bought since so many of you were kind enough to give me advice.

The Mr. & I chose the Canon EOS Rebel DSLR W 18-55 and also bought the 75-300 mm f/4 5.6 zoom lens. It's on 'back order' at Best Buy, so I haven't gotten to 'play with it' yet. But I'm hoping we made a good choice! :confused: I think it is actually a more 'complex' camera then I initially had in mind, since I really was thinking something simple like my Fuji 'point & shoot'.

Now, I have another question. Would it be 'okay' to leave the zoom lens on all the time so I can avoid packing BOTH lenses with me? We will be bringing the Fuji too. It will be a lot easier to carry that one around the ship, since I tend to like to photograph the food we eat (especially if the presentation is nice!) and other 'random' things. The Canon will be used when we go on our excursions. Thanks Y'all!

Are you only going to take the zoom? If so, that would be fine if you are ok with not being able to photograph anything closer than 10 ft with the zoom. I am also bringing my point and shoot with me to Alaska for general purpose shooting and for some excursions where I may not be able use my DSLR...not sure if I am comfortable taking it out on a kayak yet.

The rebel doesn't have to be complex. You can shoot in full auto mode (the green square) and treat it like a bigger point and shoot.

Have fun with your new toy!

I'm taking my Canon Rebel with a 28-300 attached, and throwing the 50mm 1.8 in the big suitcase so I have it for certain situations later on. Long story short - I'm carrying on all the camera gear in a Maxpedition shoulder bag, and my second lens just won't fit.

If your happy with the quality of the Fuji, I'd say you're all set. Leave the 18-55 at home.

You poor girl! You must be so confused by now!

Is it too late to cancel the back order at Best Buy? If you want to go on excursions with only one lens you need something that will cover a wide range of focal lengths. i just got a Tamron 18-270 for my travel lens. I also have a Rebel (T3i). Just my opinion.

Great choice! My first dslr is the Canon Rebel T2i. I bought the 18-135 lens and a 70-300 lens too. Defintely bring both lenses. The zoom lens won't be good for the scenery and lots of ship pics. I have a point and shoot also for days when I don't want to haul my dslr with me, but when a great shot comes up and I don't have my zoom with me, I end up wishing I did.

Invest in a good bag so you can carry both with you.

Thank you one & all. You've all certainly given me lots of things to consider and think about. I guess there isn't much point in having two lenses if I only take one. Plus the Mr. & I love to take pictures of pretty scenery, so both lenses it is! I guess like someone said, I need a good bag. Preferably one that can double as a 'purse' too! ;) Ladies, do you have any suggestions?

Congrats on the new camera. I spent about as much time finding a bag as I did the camera! :D I got a lot of good suggestions from others here. I thought about what I needed a bag to do for me and narrowed it down to a diaper bag or backpack. I needed a bag for a change of clothes, purse and camera. The diaper bag would hold it all with lots of pockets for the purse essentials. I went with a backpack. I ordered padded lens cases from B & H, found a neoprene camera sleeve so everything is protected. It doesn't scream expensive camera, doesn't kill my shoulder, can carry clothes or jacket and has a small pockets (easy access) for the purse things. I bought it with vacations in mind, but have found that it's easy enough for me to 'grab and go' so I take it everytime I leave the house. This idea works for me, but may not for others. Hope this helps.

I would bring both lenses to Alaska. Will be a great photo opportunity I am going in May and am bringing 5 lens with me. 4 our mine (18-55, 10-22, 24-78 Tamron, & 70-300) I also decided to rent a Canon 100-400L. Needless to say, I am not going to be carrying them all around with me on the various excursions and such, just what I will need. If you have it I say bring it. The one other lens you might find very useful in taking landscape shots and such is an Ultra Wide Angle such as the Cannon 10-22. I got mine a year ago and love it. You could always rent one too.

Okay, I know that it's not what other photographers do- but I almost always carry a DSLR or two and a point and shoot. I don't like to carry a camera bag with me and changing lenses can be a pain if I see a shot that I want to capture right away.

There are many times that I will also leave the DSLR at home and just take the point and shoot.

Okay, I know that it's not what other photographers do- but I almost always carry a DSLR or two and a point and shoot. I don't like to carry a camera bag with me and changing lenses can be a pain if I see a shot that I want to capture right away.

There are many times that I will also leave the DSLR at home and just take the point and shoot.

Personally, I'm in agreement...a P&S is a great accessory to any DSLR shooter's kit!

The best camera is the one you use and the picture you take will always be better than the one you couldn't!

Convenience isn't the only reason to add a P&S to the "system". There are spousal considerations as well. My P&S is referred to as the "dinner camera" since I have been discouraged from taking a "real" camera to the dining room until I find one that matches my tux! :D

Dave

I hate to think of a P&S as a "disposable" camera, but I will always bring one on a cruise. It serves several purposes - "Dinner" shots like mentioned above, as it is the wife's primary camera (just don't tell her I consider it expendable).

But on our dive and snorkel adventures - that is where I leave the DSLR in the cabin. I use a Flip HD and the wifes P&S, both in those waterproof bags good for 15 feet or so.

Now before you all go poo-poo'ing those bags - I wouldn't put anything into them that I'm not prepared to lose. But I've never had a problem with them with leakage or failure of any type. And I'm willing to risk a $50-$75 camera for the shot opportunity the excursion presents.

(We took them on the 5K a few weeks ago where we were inundated with tons of colored corn starch - we looked like rainbows but the cameras came through perfectly.)colorrun30.jpg

Like Prairie_Gal I am happy with my 18 - 270 for cruises. However, I bring everything with me including my P&S and the original lens that came with the camera. You don't have to carry everything with you all the time but I like knowing it is there. For example, sometimes around the ship I will just carry the P&S. On excursions I tend to carry more in a backpack.

Archived