Narrowed down to 6 hotels! Thoughts?

SondraC

I have been looking at hotels in Barcelona until my eyes bleed! Any thoughts on my list?

Hotel Icaria

Acta Atrium Palace

Continental Palacete

Hotel Barcelona Universal

Hesperia Presidente Hotel

Hotel Continental Barcelona

Thanks!

Hi. I am just starting to look at hotel. May I ask, why did you choose these hotels? What is your price range per night? Also, how many are traveling in your party? I am looking for an affordable hotel for 2 adults and 2 young kids. Thanks!

I have been looking at hotels in Barcelona until my eyes bleed! Any thoughts on my list?

Hotel Icaria

Acta Atrium Palace

Continental Palacete

Hotel Barcelona Universal

Hesperia Presidente Hotel

Hotel Continental Barcelona

Thanks!

Did you check their rating on TripAdvisor?

We stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal last October. The accomodations were decent and clean, and they had a quaint little bar in the lobby with reasonable prices. We did not do the hotel breakfast as we were interested in trying different places and food. Noise wasn't too bad, and the walk to Las Ramblas was about 10 minutes. We never felt unsafe although we were not out very late - maybe 10pm at the latest.

We stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal last October. The accomodations were decent and clean, and they had a quaint little bar in the lobby with reasonable prices. We did not do the hotel breakfast as we were interested in trying different places and food. Noise wasn't too bad, and the walk to Las Ramblas was about 10 minutes. We never felt unsafe although we were not out very late - maybe 10pm at the latest.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Hotel Continental, probably has the best price, it is clean, and the breakfast buffet, is well a breakfast buffet, the breads and rolls are great, the rest well its a breakfast buffet, The rooms are PINK and quirky, the location is SUPER The beds are hard Did I say the beds are HARD. Above all the place is clean, filled with cruisers either before or after there cruise. That part is really great for conversation, Above all if I where to go to Barcelona again, and I will, I will stay there again. Its also great for the Bus to the airport and back, and a taxi stand is about 500 feet away just around the corner. Great Pizza shop next door, close to a drug store, , Where ever you stay enjoy Barcelona, I really think its the best city on the Med.

Hotel Continental, probably has the best price, it is clean, and the breakfast buffet, is well a breakfast buffet, the breads and rolls are great, the rest well its a breakfast buffet, The rooms are PINK and quirky, the location is SUPER The beds are hard Did I say the beds are HARD. Above all the place is clean, filled with cruisers either before or after there cruise. That part is really great for conversation, Above all if I where to go to Barcelona again, and I will, I will stay there again. Its also great for the Bus to the airport and back, and a taxi stand is about 500 feet away just around the corner. Great Pizza shop next door, close to a drug store, , Where ever you stay enjoy Barcelona, I really think its the best city on the Med.

Thanks for the info! We are excited to see Barcelona. We were initially only going to be there one day prior to our cruise, but we then pushed it to two days.

I stayed in the Continental Palacete last October, and like its sister hotel, the Continental, as sanjim says, it is very pink:D The food buffet is 24hrs, but you do need to pick your times properly to take best advantage of the hot food!! Wine, beer and soft drinks too, as well as coffee and tea are all included too. If you stay in either of these hotels, you can eat and drink in both, and the food is included in the room price.

The Palacete is slightly further away from the bus stop to the airport, but still very close, and perhaps less noisy as it is not directly on Las Ramblas. I, too, would stay there again.

Thanks for the info! We are excited to see Barcelona. We were initially only going to be there one day prior to our cruise, but we then pushed it to two days.

Great that you getting there earlier. That added time in Barcelona is well worth it. I would make location to be a very important factor in doing your hotel location. Being close to the central part of the Las Ramblas and/or the nearby historic Cathedral make things so much more handy for seeing the charming areas of Barcelona, etc. Being "right there" makes it easy to see more in the evenings, early mornings, etc. Don't miss the historic Market and having breakfast or lunch there. Below are a few of my visual samples to offer up some added ideas and options in this great and interesting city. See more from my live/blog noted below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For Barcelona, one of the most famous sites is its main and historic Cathedral that is over 700-years old and right around the corner from our Hotel Regincia Colon. It is also near where you catch the hop-on buses circling the town.:

BarcelMainCathedGreatSky.jpg

Barcelona has many apartment building with interesting architectural details. Here the iron railings are wonderfully designed with a local lady taking a look as we passed below on the top level of our hop-on bus.:

BarcelBalconyIronworkLady.jpg

This is a closer look at the top of one of Gaudi’s most famous buildings in Barcelona.:

BarcelTightGaudiBldgDetails.jpg

We first visited Barcelona in 1998 and loved the Las Ramblas. It is always busy with lots of tourists and locals, around the clock, participating in the spectacle that is Barcelona. Las Ramblas runs from the start of Placa de Catalunya and ends to the south at Port Vell at the Christopher Columbus statue. Las Ramblas runs through Barcelona’s center, with the Gothic Quarter and El Raval neighborhoods to either side. There are colorful street performers and vendors selling everything imaginable from flowers to caged birds. The architecture is such an interesting mix. Here is one of many examples for what is interesting with its buildings along this great walking place, including one of the many theatre in this area.:

BarcelRamblaTheatreFront.jpg

Before boarding our ship, we visited the famed Mercat La Boqueria and had breakfast here. WOW!!! It is easy to see why this popular Boqueria Market is not to be missed. It has a wide range of fresh meats, cheeses, produce and delicious food options to enjoy. Here is one of the beautifully stock fruit stands and a busy breakfast stand in the market.:

BarcelMarketLadyFruitBuy.jpg

BarcelMarketBreakfastStand.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone! Terry, I loved looking at those photos. They make me even more excited!! It's so hard picking a hotel, when it seems there are SO many to choose from!

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. Below are a few more for added ideas on things to see and do there in this great city.

Since there are so many hotel options, do a plotting of the various locations on or with Google.com map. Let the better locations help you narrow down for your choice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a night view of Palau Guell taken from under the glass and iron entrance to the Hotel Gaudi that is immediately across the street from this mansion. Unique angle that plays off of the designs for both places. This large residence was Gaudi's first major project and has recently been restored. Very unique and special!!:

BarcelGaudiExteriorNight.jpg

This is overall sampling for the central “open space” of Palau Guell. This area was used for concerts, receptions, had a chapel, etc. You can see how it rose up to the higher, decorative levels within this unique room. :

BarcelGaudiCenter2TopDome.jpg

At the Barcelona Cathedral La Seu, their magnificent 700+ year old Basilica, there is the Cloister. There is a lush gardens and orange trees surrounding this 14th century Cloister. It is one of the most famous spots in Barcelona with its centuries old stone floor, pond and fountain. A statue of St George decorates the old fountain. Thirteen white geese are present, said to be a symbol of Santa Eulalia’s virginity. Here is a small sampling of visuals from there. Very moving and impressive!:

BarcelChurchInnerCourtyard.jpg

BarcelChurchPrayingArea.jpg

There are many narrow, curved streets in these areas of Barcelona. Lots to see, enjoy and experience. :

BarcelOldTownCurvedStreet.jpg

Here’s a contrast between modern art on the major Barcelona street near the harbor and the traditional buildings in the background. Never boring in this great city.:

BarcelModernArtOldTowers.jpg

I too stayed at the Hotel Continental. The location is great. Right around the corner from the Placa Catalunya. I stayed one night after a cruise and my parents stayed 2 nights. We had a room on the Las Ramblas and I don't remember it being loud....And yes the rooms are very pepto bismol pink.

I am staying there again after another cruise in the late fall.

I stayed in the Continental Palacete last October, and like its sister hotel, the Continental, as sanjim says, it is very pink:D The food buffet is 24hrs, but you do need to pick your times properly to take best advantage of the hot food!! Wine, beer and soft drinks too, as well as coffee and tea are all included too. If you stay in either of these hotels, you can eat and drink in both, and the food is included in the room price.

The Palacete is slightly further away from the bus stop to the airport, but still very close, and perhaps less noisy as it is not directly on Las Ramblas. I, too, would stay there again.

We stayed in the Continental Palacete a few years ago. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were helpful and friendly. We would stay there again anytime.

Archived