No more Ocho Rios for me!!

rosed37

Is it just me, or has any one else been annoyed by the agressive vendors?

we decided to just walk off the ship and over to Margaritaville for a few hours, just outside the port we were approched by at least 6 guys trying to sell taxi/tours, no matter how much we politely said no and kept walking they would keep following us, once we got to margaritaville, they had security guards with dogs to keep them from bothering the tourists, but whenever we tried to walk into the water, they were right in your face, and waited there to catch you on your way back! at one point three of them got into a fight over territory I guess, really ruined our day, we were just dying to get back to the ship!:mad:

I have not cruised to Jamaica but have flown there for vacation. Once you stepped outside the resort gates you were surrounded and they were uncomfortably aggressive. I have been to several countries and have found Jamaica to be the worst for this. I avoid cruises that port there. Like the TV commercial -- "Jamaica, Once you go, you know." You know not to go back!

Is it just me, or has any one else been annoyed by the agressive vendors?

we decided to just walk off the ship and over to Margaritaville for a few hours, just outside the port we were approched by at least 6 guys trying to sell taxi/tours, no matter how much we politely said no and kept walking they would keep following us, once we got to margaritaville, they had security guards with dogs to keep them from bothering the tourists, but whenever we tried to walk into the water, they were right in your face, and waited there to catch you on your way back! at one point three of them got into a fight over territory I guess, really ruined our day, we were just dying to get back to the ship!:mad:

I'm sorry you had a bad time and from reading these boards I don't think it is just you. Ochos Rios is one of the ports that I recommend doing an official excursion to get a completely different experience and to get away from the vendors. I was there last year as a port stop and had a blast. It really is a beautiful place, but you have to kind of get away from the vendors and such to see it.

The vendors can be a little aggessive, but after talking with some locals and doing a bit of research, I realize it is a pretty poor country. The aggressive just comes out of needing to have work and offering tours and selling things is the only money maker for some of them, hence the "aggression" They are not really trying to be rude or pesky, just trying to live. It isn't like they have customer service classes or anyting telling them how to deal with people.

Hopefully your other ports stops went much better though.

You're right, and I understand their need, but i went through the same in Cuba, and all I had to say was " no, thank you" and off they went. I didnt want an excursion, just a nice day at the local Beach.

Oh well, live and learn, the other ports were spectacular (Grand Cayman and Labadee).

I had a horrible experience there years ago as well and swore I would never return. However, our upcoming cruise will be going there (not my choice but the other 3 places I wanted to visit was on the itinerary). I'm really nervous about it because I will have 2 of my daughters with me.

We booked an AI resort and hopefully this will keep them away.

If the people there in Jamaica would only realize that their "people" skills on trying to sell things is the reason no one wants to buy things or visit their island, they would sell a lot more and have more people wanting to visit their beautiful island. :(

My upcoming trip will make or break whether we EVER go back again.

I had a horrible experience there years ago as well and swore I would never return. However, our upcoming cruise will be going there (not my choice but the other 3 places I wanted to visit was on the itinerary). I'm really nervous about it because I will have 2 of my daughters with me.

If the people there in Jamaica would only realize that their "people" skills on trying to sell things is the reason no one wants to buy things or visit their island, they would sell a lot more and have more people wanting to visit their beautiful island. :(

I agree with you about the 'people skills' and can only wonder if they really know what a turn-off it is for us visitors. I, too, will be there with my 2 daughters. I plan on taking an excursion that will pretty much pick us up at the terminal and drive us out and away from the port area. I like getting up into the mountains and away from the city itself.

Interesting!....I was looking to book another cruise for next year, and Ocho Rios is no longer on the Iteneraries, looks like its been replaced by Famouth. Hopefully a better experience all round.

Not sure what cruise line you are referring to, but there are 3 ports there in Jamaica and the ships got to all 3 of them depending on which ship you are going on and the itinerary. For instance we will be on the Pearl next month, which goes to Ocho Rios at the moment. In November, it will be going to Falmouth. But in 2013, the Dawn goes back to Ocho Rios.

I have been told by other members cruising different lines that some of the ships alternate back and forth. ;)

They have and AI there can you give me more info? I am thinking of booking a cruise and this is one of the stops! Thanks!

They have and AI there can you give me more info? I am thinking of booking a cruise and this is one of the stops! Thanks!

We booked with Jamaica for a day with the Sunset Grande Resort. They have 2 that you can go to in Ocho Rios. The other one is an adult only resort, so we had to go with Sunset because we will have our 3 year old with us again this cruise.

Even though there are a lot of people that have mention using Jamaica for a day, I can't seem to get anyone to give experiences at this particular resort. :confused: So, it looks like I will have to be the one to come back and report when we return next month. :D

• 2 weeks later...

i love jamaica, but thought i'd give you an idea of how aggressive the vendors can be.

they actually asked my husband to braid his hair, and he said no thank you and laughed, and they asked again...my dh is practically bald!

we still laugh about it....but yep, they don't wanna take no for an answer lol.

We found the venders at Jamacia to be desperate and almost depressing. We bought all day taxi/tour tickets at the port and everyone got off the bus at a flea market on the first stop. There we went thruogh a maise of venders with small booths pulling you by the arm to see what they have. Bought some things i didn't want just to get to the next booth to be proudly shown the same things . Most of the identical items seemed to be made in China but pushed as personally made. You get the idea that if they didn't sale they would not eat. Then Had enough of market and cought the next but towards beach but it stoped at next flea market and made us all get out and let the prevous group in. The stops were safe and drivers entertaining and skilled in some crazy traffic. But after a short stay at the beach we took the next bus to the ship and vowed if ever in Jamacia again ,we would do someting inland or stey on ship.

We just got back from the NCL Sun and stopped at Ocho Rios and did the Jamaica for the day at Sunset Grande. The hotel picks you up inside the gate which was nice. The resort is really nice and the pools are beautiful not to mention all you can drink! We really enjoyed it & was the highlight of our cruise. We walked to the market across the street and the vendors haggled you but it wasn't anymore than in Cozumel you just have to keep saying no. We found everyone to be extremely nice and can't wait to visit again.

We just got back from the NCL Sun and stopped at Ocho Rios and did the Jamaica for the day at Sunset Grande. The hotel picks you up inside the gate which was nice. The resort is really nice and the pools are beautiful not to mention all you can drink! We really enjoyed it & was the highlight of our cruise. We walked to the market across the street and the vendors haggled you but it wasn't anymore than in Cozumel you just have to keep saying no. We found everyone to be extremely nice and can't wait to visit again.

YES! Finally someone that has been here!!!! :D I've been waiting to hear from someone that could report back about the Sunset Grande and no one seems to know anything.

What type of food did they serve you? Was it a buffet type style or did they serve you what they wanted? Could you get "all you can eat"? Do you know if there were any age restrictions to go on the water slides (age or height) and could you go with a parent (for a 3 year old). What was the beach like? Anyone allowed in the beach area to try to sell you things? Any snorkeling there in the water?

Thanks in advance if you can help me out. We leave tomorrow to head to Florida for our Pearl cruise and have been really wanting to hear from someone that has been there. :)

YES! Finally someone that has been here!!!! :D I've been waiting to hear from someone that could report back about the Sunset Grande and no one seems to know anything.

What type of food did they serve you? Was it a buffet type style or did they serve you what they wanted? Could you get "all you can eat"? Do you know if there were any age restrictions to go on the water slides (age or height) and could you go with a parent (for a 3 year old). What was the beach like? Anyone allowed in the beach area to try to sell you things? Any snorkeling there in the water?

Thanks in advance if you can help me out. We leave tomorrow to head to Florida for our Pearl cruise and have been really wanting to hear from someone that has been there. :)

The food was pretty good it was a buffet and they had rice and beans, fish, chicken, pizza, assortment of desserts. For us it was all about the red stripe beer :). Not sure about the age limit on the slide as we didn't have kids but there were plenty in that area. The beach was nice not crowded and did not see anyone on the property trying to sell anything it was somewhat secluded from the general population. I believe there is snorkeling but it rained that morning so we stayed at the pool all day instead of going to the beach. You will have fun there enjoy!!

The food was pretty good it was a buffet and they had rice and beans, fish, chicken, pizza, assortment of desserts. For us it was all about the red stripe beer :). Not sure about the age limit on the slide as we didn't have kids but there were plenty in that area. The beach was nice not crowded and did not see anyone on the property trying to sell anything it was somewhat secluded from the general population. I believe there is snorkeling but it rained that morning so we stayed at the pool all day instead of going to the beach. You will have fun there enjoy!!

How do you go about booking this? thanks for your help! I have been looking for something to do in Ochos Rios so maybe this is it!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Pearl cruise and our day at this resort. There was good and bad (for us and our situation). I will be posting a full review within the week or so along with all the pictures once I get them uploaded. (We just got home several hours ago). :)

We just returned from our Pearl cruise and our day at this resort. There was good and bad (for us and our situation). I will be posting a full review within the week or so along with all the pictures once I get them uploaded. (We just got home several hours ago). :)

We are leaving on the NCL Pearl soon and are considering this resort for our Ocho Rios stop. Very curious as to what the bad parts were. Would it be a mistake to book this? Thanks!

Went to Dunns River Falls last week and my father-in-law was accosted by a vendor as we were heading back to the bus. The vendor kept putting necklaces on him even though he was told no several times. My FIL would take them off and the guy would put them back on. Finally, he gave the guy 5 bucks to basically leave him alone.

We'll be heading to Ocho Rios this September for our next cruise. I've been to Montego Bay and hated it.. I swore I'd never go back, it was dirty, and the locals were very pushy.. we still talk about "Cheap Charlie" who tried to drag my father up stairs to "Smoke in his shop!" and the lady that chased down my 7 year old niece to make her pay for a picture she had taken of her.. I would be happy to stay on the ship, but alas DH wants to explore Jamaica since he's never been.. I need some ideas on what to do so that I don't hate this port like the last one..

We are leaving on the NCL Pearl soon and are considering this resort for our Ocho Rios stop. Very curious as to what the bad parts were. Would it be a mistake to book this? Thanks!

No, I wouldn't say it was a bad place to book. It's pretty there with tons of pools, 2 slides and it's a very beautiful hotel and grounds. You don't have to worry about people trying to get you to do anything. They are not allowed on the grounds.

However, there is a place right at the end of it that tries to get you to go snorkeling, rent jet skies, boating and so on (but they are at the tip of the beach by the rental). You can just walk by them and they can not follow.

We just managed to follow a lady that did hair braiding "off" the property and it made me really nervous where she took us. Nothing happened and we met some of the locals and they were all cool with us. Of course this was "our doing" and not because of them bothering us. (I will explain in more detail in my review that I hope to get to this coming week, but there was a police involved with a lady and some hiding and running done by THEM). :eek:

The resort is nice and I wouldn't hesitate to book again IF my little one was older. We booked because we knew she would LOVE the water slides only to find out you can not get on them unless you were like 48" tall. No if, ands, or buts about it. Not even with a parent. This kinda destroyed my 3 yr olds day (and we all know how a 3 year can be devastated when they are put in front of something they want to do badly and told they can't do it after climbing all those steps). Needless to say it was hard to explain to her all day long that she was not aloud on it when it was right in front of her. She was upset. :(

But if you don't have any little ones....it would be great. Food was good too and they had A LOT of food!!! As many drinks as you wanted as well. I loved the "dirty banana" drink. :D

We are doing this next week- can't wait! Can I ask did you do the transfers with them or just get in a cab and they took you. We didn't get the transfer's but am now wondering if I should

We are doing this next week- can't wait! Can I ask did you do the transfers with them or just get in a cab and they took you. We didn't get the transfer's but am now wondering if I should

I did do the transfers because a) I wasn't sure how far it was from the port and b) it didn't seem like anyone on here could actually tell me much about the place so it would be hard to find out how much it would actually cost you to get there using a cab.

We had a huge bus (like a Greyhound bus) and it was nice. You tell them what time you wanted to return when you got there and they were there on time. They even waited for us when we did a little shopping at the resort before leaving. :)

Archived