Where's the Ibuprofin - family worried about Splendor

cdamion

Reread my post. I never said I was concerned about any of it. I need advil because I have to listen to my non-cruising family members' concerns - which seem to be largely fueled by sensational media coverage.

Not so sensational after all if you read the recent post about what happened to 22 people on a tour off the Splendor yesterday!:( I think there is reason for concern but don't know if pulling out of PV is the answer. Does have me wondering whether I want to book our spring break cruise on the Splendor this April or not. We'll see.

Not so sensational after all if you read the recent post about what happened to 22 people on a tour off the Splendor yesterday!:( I think there is reason for concern but don't know if pulling out of PV is the answer. Does have me wondering whether I want to book our spring break cruise on the Splendor this April or not. We'll see.

We'll see how it gets covered. We'll also see if this is an isolated incident or the start of a trend in PV.

I still say that coverage is sensationalized. But obviously it warrants keeping an eye on. Is the country starting to lose another tourist city to crime? Hopefully not, but frankly my confidence has been hit.

The fact remains though that this can and has happened a few times before in other countries - notably St. Lucia and St. Kitts - in recent years.

While things that happen usually don't change my plans, this time it might. Since I am with my kids and was planning to go to the area of the robbery via taxi, I may not now. I don't know yet, 4 weeks to decide. If it was just me, no problem, but I don't know with my kids. I would hate to not experience something out of fear.

Sigh, now that Splendor trip is next month I'm getting calls from concerned family members (who aren't cruising - and never have).

The concerns:

1) Mexico safety

2) Norovirus

3) Concordia

Thanks press for blowing all of it out of proportion.

How do I handle it? Listen, tell them not to worry, hang up the phone, sigh, and take Advil.

well, number one stays at number 1.

Noro is killing us here in MA right now. We were bombarded with it at the school I teach at...50-75 kid out per day with 10-20 going home everyday. This is the stomach bug season....you don't typically hear about it during other times of the year.

well, number one stays at number 1.

Yup.

I do believe Carnival is going to cancel the port and we will have a lovely cruise to exciting faraway places like Catalina Island 22 long miles from the cruise terminal, or else maybe an exotic foreign port like Ensenada which is only accessible by sea (or a 3 hour drive from the cruise terminal).

Hopefully they decide this is an isolated incident, but who knows.

What bugs me is that this has happened in Jamaica, 3 times in St. Lucia, and in St. Kitts. Also, Nassau has had a couple of groups of cruisers on tours robbed, but nobody has stopped going to these ports.

What bugs me is that this has happened in Jamaica, 3 times in St. Lucia, and in St. Kitts. Also, Nassau has had a couple of groups of cruisers on tours robbed, but nobody has stopped going to these ports.

I've said this many times, and let's not forget the 14 year old girl that was killed in St Thomas from gang crossfire. Carnival and every other cruise line continued calling there with no mention of pulling the port.

I do believe Carnival is going to cancel the port and we will have a lovely cruise to exciting faraway places like Catalina Island 22 long miles from the cruise terminal, or else maybe an exotic foreign port like Ensenada which is only accessible by sea (or a 3 hour drive from the cruise terminal).

LOL. Very true :D

Hmm- earthquake and coup. Perhaps not my most favorite time to visit a country:p

I did a trip to Europe just alter 9/11 to visit friends. We were one of the first flights out of JFK. They asked if we were still coming. We said that if they were flying, we were coming and we did.

DON

Sigh, now that Splendor trip is next month I'm getting calls from concerned family members (who aren't cruising - and never have).

The concerns:

1) Mexico safety

2) Norovirus

3) Concordia

Thanks press for blowing all of it out of proportion.

How do I handle it? Listen, tell them not to worry, hang up the phone, sigh, and take Advil.

oh my,

Hope they are worried about your commute to work too. Likely far more risky.

Just think - at least you won't have to sail with those worry warts.

Yup.

Actually it's only 90 minutes to Ensenada by car from the terminal. Now a Carnival chartered motor couch might take 3 hours! :eek:

Trust me, it isn't a concern. I am a very much off the beaten path traveler. I think Nicaragua is going to be the next big off-the-grid trip. Knowing this about me is probably what started their worrying. I was in Honduras right in between a major earthquake and a coup. They still think Im nuts for going.

I was just in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago and that city's murder rate is actually much higher than Mexico's. Heck, Im in Chicago and our murder rate is higher than Mexico's.

Wow, murder rate in Chicago higher than Mexico? Have you been there recently? I have and you cannot compare the two. Yes, Chicago has a high murder rate, but most of the murders are in areas where you would expect them and would avoid. In Mexico, that is not the case. Yes, some of the areas are more safe than other, but it is like chicago many years ago.

Wow, murder rate in Chicago higher than Mexico? Have you been there recently? I have and you cannot compare the two. Yes, Chicago has a high murder rate, but most of the murders are in areas where you would expect them and would avoid. In Mexico, that is not the case. Yes, some of the areas are more safe than other, but it is like chicago many years ago.

It is statically true that several US cities have higher murder rates than Mexico as a country. Of course, if you were to compare something like Juarez to Chicago, it would be a completely different story.

My point in making the comparison is that people are writing off and entire country based upon the horrible conditions in several areas of the country. Just like I can and do avoid the bad areas of Chicago, I can avoid the dangerous areas of Mexico. Los Cabos, Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta (hopefully still), etc. are all pretty safe.

Yup.

we'd love to visit st. croix in the u.s.virgin islands, but all the cruise ships pulled out due to passenger attacks.

we'd love to visit st. croix in the u.s.virgin islands, but all the cruise ships pulled out due to passenger attacks.

Somebody is going back there, RCI I think? It was a port call for one of the Southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan I was looking at for next winter. Must be Brilliance or Adventure of the Seas. I don't know that anyone else goes there.

Archived