RCCL Semi-Newbie Needs Help

Cruise veteran that has not sailed on RCCL since 2001 on the Monarch needs a few questions answered since we just booked the Explorer of the Seas for a 10 day trip at the end of the summer. One, is the dining package in the specialty restaurants only available on Oasis class ships or is it available on the Explorer as well? Two, what is the cost of the Mystery Dinner Theatre, is it worth the price and what percentage of the time is it cancelled because of low participation (read this in another thread)? Three, with regards to the soda package, I read that's it's 6.50/day + 15%....what is the prebook discount? Four, with regards to the adults only area on the Explorer, is there a charge for it? Thank you for your help.

There is no "discount" for buying the soda package in advance! There is no charge for the adult "Solarium" pool area...16 and over in there. Sorry...can't help with the other questions!

According to the link below, there is a discount, but I need my reservation number to access it and my TA has not sent it to me yet.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3653&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

According to the link below, there is a discount, but I need my reservation number to access it and my TA has not sent it to me yet.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3653&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

I pulled up my reservation using this link and the price is $6/day + 15% gratuity. I don't ever remember paying $6.50/day + the tip. So the price should be $42 + 15% ($48.30) for an adult soda card for a 7 night cruise.

Not sure why they are calling it a "discount" but in some ports, if you buy the soda card while the ship is still in port, they will charge you sales tax (because the jurisdiction requires them to collect it) and you're better off either buying in advance or waiting until you're out in international waters (you'll know because the shops will open).

Definitely never heard of a discount for pre-booking. As far as I understood (for the past 12 years I've been sailing RCL), you get the same price either pre-booking or waiting until you board.

We pre-book so the "sticker" is printed on the seapass card vs being an actual sticker than can sometimes fall off and so that we don't need to stand in line to sign up.

Definitely never heard of a discount for pre-booking. As far as I understood (for the past 12 years I've been sailing RCL), you get the same price either pre-booking or waiting until you board.

We pre-book so the "sticker" is printed on the seapass card vs being an actual sticker than can sometimes fall off and so that we don't need to stand in line to sign up.

Things have changed.....the website stated that it was 6.50 a day, and after I put in my reservation number which I just received tonight, the link that followed that allowed me to pre-order the soda package said that it was 6.00 per day or 60.00 for our 10 day cruise plus of course the 15% gratuity, so it's really 69.00.

So, I guess that the discount is a whopping 50 cents per day

One, is the dining package in the specialty restaurants only available on Oasis class ships or is it available on the Explorer as well?

I think you got the soda package question answered and I don't know about the Murder mystery dinner.

As for specialty restaurants on Explorer - There are only two for fee restaurants on the Explorer, Portofino's and Johnny Rockets. You can pre-book and pre-pay for a dinner at Portofino's online. I don't believe there is any "package".

I think you got the soda package question answered and I don't know about the Murder mystery dinner.

As for specialty restaurants on Explorer - There are only two for fee restaurants on the Explorer, Portofino's and Johnny Rockets. You can pre-book and pre-pay for a dinner at Portofino's online. I don't believe there is any "package".

I had read on the RCCL website that the Chops Grille was on 13 of the ships, I guess that I assumed wrong that it was on the Explorer. I did find out that the "package" is only available on the Oasis and the Allure.

Having cruised 16 times with Carnival, I am accustomed to having a Steakhouse and 24 hour pizza, but instead I get a rock climbing wall and an ice skating rink. On a positive note, there should not be too many kids on our cruise since it's over the first two weeks they go back to school, lol.

Archived