Oceania vs Celebrity Food

Giorgi-one

Celebrity has been our favorite cruise line. The new S-class ships are beautiful and their food was always much better than all the other mass market cruise lines. Food quality has been declining over the past few years (ever since they severed their relationship with Michael Roux), but the food on our recent sailing on the Silhouette was really disappointing. I like trying different cruise lines and everything I read says the Oceania food is fantastic. Is there anyone who can provide a comparison of food on recent cruises on both lines, specifically Celebrity S-class ships and Oceania Marina. Thanks.

We recently returned from the Marina and our recent Celebrity experience was on the Equinox. Our history with Celebrity goes back to the Horizon inaugural year through the Galaxy in 2000. The early years of Celebrity had exceptional cuisine when food service was managed by a company named Apollo. Their food budget was twice that of the competitors. This continued during the initial years of RCI and was then taken over by corporate food service. Since then, the food has been in rapid decline. Celebrity food is very much like RCI which, in my opinion, is not very good but passable. Oceania, on the other hand, was very good and way above the mass marketing lines. There is a big price difference between the 2 lines and you have to decide if the food quality justifies that in your mind. I enjoy Celebrity very much and plan on sailing them this summer. I'll just use a little more ketchup.

Food is such a subjective item and I always smile when people complain about cruise ship food - why do they expect a 3000 passenger ship to have "gourmet" (whatever that means to you) food? I happened to like Equinox's meals, but I am not fussy and happy to have someone else plan and cook my meals occasionally for a couple of weeks. Oceania does an excellent job but they are also feeding 680 to 1250 passengers and are almost twice as expensive to sail on than Celebrity. So in effect, their food should be best.

We recently took a transatlantic on Celebrity Silhouette, and found the food to be very good. We tried Aqua class for the first time and I thought it was worth every penny just for the experience in Blu. Breakfast was always very good, and we were always satisfied with dinner. The specialty restaurants were always good as well. We only ate in the main dining room once for lunch and it was a definite step down from Blu. Last year we tried Oceania and were not disappointed in any way in the food, just in the entertainment. If you like the larger ship experience, think about trying Aqua class.

We sail both lines

Just did Baltics on the Eclipse (8/12) and Marina transatlantic (11/12)

Other than the buffet on Marina which is over the top to die for, I would not give much deference to Oceania food. The GDR is awful (IMO) and I am not alone in that evaluation. Someone posted that "it is to be avoided at all costs." The specialty restaurants on O are fine (adequate), but I think they are better on Celebrity on any class of ship. The tea on O is fabulous but who needs to eat another meal at 4 pm?

Buffet on the S class ships is now really good -- much better than on M class. I think it compares favorably to Tapas on the Terrace on the R Ships.

Celebrity knows nothing about ice cream LOL but the gelato on the S class ships is great. You just have to pay for it, but the thousands you save buys a lot of gelato.

I do not sail for the food. That would not be the determining factor for me in choosing between O and Celebrity. I would look at itinerary (including no of sea days), dates and, of course, price (Celebrity always wins there -- by thousands). I also factor in the smaller size ship ® which I do love. The two O itineraries I have booked (see below) could never be duplicated by Celebrity (Majestic Masterpieces and Dubai to Rome). I am doing Australia/NZ on Celebrity and saving thousands (which I have more than spent on a totally private tour pre cruise to places most tourists never see)

What's your priority?

Sounds like it may not be worth an extra $3000 to sail on Oceania. I keep hearing the same response that food is subjective which by definition means that it is an opinion which has nothing to do with reality. Food taste may be subjective but food quality is definitely not subjective. Some examples from my recent Silhouette cruise. Menu said blackened ribeye steak - one of my favorites. Usually a nice 1 to 1-1/2 inch thick steak, bone in, cooked on the rare side of medium rare. What I got was a 1/2 thick of unidentifiable meat cooked on the well side of medium well. Nothing subjective about this. Last formal night menu said lobster tail stuffed with crab meat. What I got was a small lobster split in half and gutted. Really too small to kill. They left the tail on which amounted to one mouthful of lobster. The crab stuffing was bread crumbs. Again nothing subjective about this. I ordered fish twice since I could not find anything else on the menu I liked. Both times the fish was mushy. Nothing subjective about this unless there are some people out there who prefer mushy fish. One might menu advertised double cut sirloin steak. My waiter advised me not to order it since the meat was tough. Subjective? I could go on but the point is that food quality is not subjective unless someone really likes tought steaks, mushy fish, etc. Same goes for the excuse that you can't have good food when you serve 2000 people. If you start with quality ingredients, the finished product will be good. May not be at exactly the right temperature. Soups, appetizers, salads and desserts are all prepared in advance and have nothing to do with the number of people being served.

I keep hearing the same response that food is subjective which by definition means that it is an opinion which has nothing to do with reality. Food taste may be subjective but food quality is definitely not subjective.

I'd be very surprised if any poster to this board used the word "subjective" to refer to food quality. So, if you need someone to reassure you that the quality of Oceania's raw ingredients is excellent, I'll be happy to do so. The meats are thick cut and appropriately marbled. (Notice, I wrote "apropriately." You will not have a plate filled with gristle and fat after eating an entree of meat.) The vegetables are ripe and fresh; none of the ingredients in a cold salad is wilted and the cooked vegetables are prepared to crisp tender -- not over cooked. The fruit has been ripe or close to ripe throughout the duration of each of our voyages. The breads and breakfast sweet rolls are freshly baked each morning and are tender, moist, and sinfully delicious. What else do you need to know?

Now, to the subjective part: I think the chef who salts the fries in the Waves Grille uses too heavy a hand -- and I'm not on a low salt diet at home. I thought the chef who prepared our La Reserve meal on the Holiday cruise also used too much salt in a couple of the dishes. I was bored by the Americanized version of the food in the Pan-Asian restaurant. Am I right? For me, I'm right and that's where the subjective label is accurate. You have only to read many, many posts on this topic and you'll find others who swoon over the very meals I've criticized; that's what we mean when we all write subjective. Again, no one is talking about mediocre quality food.

Here are some subjective positives: I thought the Oysters Rockefeller in the Polo Grille was the best version of the dish I've ever eaten. (There's no objective standard for this dish so I couldn't use any word other than subjective.) I loved that when I ordered tuna seared or my steak "au bleu" (ultra rare), no matter where I was eating (GDR, Tosca, or Polo) my food came exactly as I wanted it cooked. I'm quite aware that my preference for food cooked so that it is raw and cool in the center is totally subjective. Still, when Oceania's restaurants can deliver, that's objective.

Only you can decide whether the cuisine on Oceania merits your spending your money. But please don't put interpretations into the word "subjective" that aren't logical based on other people's replies and, certainly, aren't supported by the food on the plate.

The reason food quality is subjective is that everyone's standards are different.

Where do you live? In a small town where most restaurants are chain restaurants or a large city where top notch restaurants abound? What is your food experience in general? What kind of restaurants do you frequent? How do you eat at home? Are you a gourmet cook? Do you buy your meat from a butcher or a supermarket? I could go on and on. If I do not know your frame of reference I have no idea what you mean when you comment on "quality."

Some people do not know "quality" the way I do -- others are incredibly well informed and even better informed than I am.

That's why I really pay little attention to other posters' comments on the food -- be it for quality, preparation or taste. It is not worth debating.

I know what I like and that's good enough for me. That's all anyone should care about -- do you like it? Are you happy with the food? If so, you're good.

I'd be very surprised if any poster to this board used the word "subjective" to refer to food quality. So, if you need someone to reassure you that the quality of Oceania's raw ingredients is excellent, I'll be happy to do so. The meats are thick cut and appropriately marbled. (Notice, I wrote "apropriately." You will not have a plate filled with gristle and fat after eating an entree of meat.) The vegetables are ripe and fresh; none of the ingredients in a cold salad is wilted and the cooked vegetables are prepared to crisp tender -- not over cooked. The fruit has been ripe or close to ripe throughout the duration of each of our voyages. The breads and breakfast sweet rolls are freshly baked each morning and are tender, moist, and sinfully delicious. What else do you need to know?

Now, to the subjective part: I think the chef who salts the fries in the Waves Grille uses too heavy a hand -- and I'm not on a low salt diet at home. I thought the chef who prepared our La Reserve meal on the Holiday cruise also used too much salt in a couple of the dishes. I was bored by the Americanized version of the food in the Pan-Asian restaurant. Am I right? For me, I'm right and that's where the subjective label is accurate. You have only to read many, many posts on this topic and you'll find others who swoon over the very meals I've criticized; that's what we mean when we all write subjective. Again, no one is talking about mediocre quality food.

Here are some subjective positives: I thought the Oysters Rockefeller in the Polo Grille was the best version of the dish I've ever eaten. (There's no objective standard for this dish so I couldn't use any word other than subjective.) I loved that when I ordered tuna seared or my steak "au bleu" (ultra rare), no matter where I was eating (GDR, Tosca, or Polo) my food came exactly as I wanted it cooked. I'm quite aware that my preference for food cooked so that it is raw and cool in the center is totally subjective. Still, when Oceania's restaurants can deliver, that's objective.

Only you can decide whether the cuisine on Oceania merits your spending your money. But please don't put interpretations into the word "subjective" that aren't logical based on other people's replies and, certainly, aren't supported by the food on the plate.

I agree with your comments but, as you can see, we still have many people who believe that food quality is subjective or maybe people that cannot differentiate between taste and quality. I do agree however, that there are some people who have never had really good food and may think that anything they get on a ship is just great. Then there are the "as long as I don't have to cook it or clean up, its find with me crowd".

As far as salt, I think it may have been the primary ingredient in many of the meals we had on our recent Celebrity cruise. My wife has a problem with swelling in her feet when she has too much salt and the problem was the worst it has ever been during this cruise.

I love everything about cruising - the ships, the ports, entertainment and food. Many people could care less about the food as long as they get something to eat. I do not eat at 5* or any star restaurants. But when the food at our local diner is better than the food I get on a cruise, something is definitely wrong, and it isn't the local diner. I do not want to go on a cruise and eat comfort food. The cruise lines all advertise find dining and I expect them to deliver that.

if you pay little attention to other posters comments on food...why do you post YOUR comments?

To say the food in the MDR is "awful"? Wow!

Many have opined as such, including the post about "avoiding it at all costs." These are opinions. The OP asked for opinions about food on the two cruise lines. SInce I sail both lines, I offered mine. But they are just my opinions. Nothing more.

My central point is that is does not matter what I think or you think or anyone else thinks since there is no way to know if we are on the same page with anyone else. We all have different standards for food. Feel free to disregard my opinions as well.

The reason food quality is subjective is that everyone's standards are different.

Where do you live? In a small town where most restaurants are chain restaurants or a large city where top notch restaurants abound? What is your food experience in general? What kind of restaurants do you frequent? How do you eat at home? Are you a gourmet cook? Do you buy your meat from a butcher or a supermarket? I could go on and on. If I do not know your frame of reference I have no idea what you mean when you comment on "quality."

Some people do not know "quality" the way I do -- others are incredibly well informed and even better informed than I am.

That's why I really pay little attention to other posters' comments on the food -- be it for quality, preparation or taste. It is not worth debating.

I know what I like and that's good enough for me. That's all anyone should care about -- do you like it? Are you happy with the food? If so, you're good.

I live in the Philadelphia / New Jersey area so we have many, many fine restaurants. However, we usually eat at local restaurants which would not be considered fine dining - no Michelin stars. That said, I do know the difference between a tender steak, a nice sized lobster tail, real prime rib, fresh fish and good rack of lamb. I can say without question, that the quality of the food I have been served on recent Celebrity cruises does not even come close to what I receive in my local restaurants. Probably worst of all are what they try to pass off as Italian food that they serve on cruise lines when compared to the Italian food we get at "fine restaurants" located in our local shopping centers.

If it is not worth debating, whey are you reading and posting on this thread?

I live in the Philadelphia / New Jersey area so we have many, many fine restaurants. However, we usually eat at local restaurants which would not be considered fine dining - no Michelin stars. That said, I do know the difference between a tender steak, a nice sized lobster tail, real prime rib, fresh fish and good rack of lamb. I can say without question, that the quality of the food I have been served on recent Celebrity cruises does not even come close to what I receive in my local restaurants. Probably worst of all are what they try to pass off as Italian food that they serve on cruise lines when compared to the Italian food we get at "fine restaurants" located in our local shopping centers.

If it is not worth debating, whey are you reading and posting on this thread?

Guess I have to repeat myself. I am not "debating" because I am not saying anyone is wrong. We are all right! We all like what we like!

The OP asked for opinions about food on the two cruise lines. SInce I sail both lines, I offered mine. But they are just my opinions. Nothing more.

My central point is that is does not matter what I think or you think or anyone else thinks since there is no way to know if we are on the same page with anyone else. We all have different standards for food. Feel free to disregard my opinions as well.

Guess I have to repeat myself. I am not "debating" because I am not saying anyone is wrong. We are all right! We all like what we like!

The OP asked for opinions about food on the two cruise lines. SInce I sail both lines, I offered mine. But they are just my opinions. Nothing more.

I asked for opinions on food quality and thanks for your input. However, I disagreed that food quality is subjective and stated my reasons. What you are essentially saying is that reviews of anything are useless since we all like what we like. There is really no use in reading reviews of restaurants, hotels, resorts or ships. We can do away with websites like Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor since the opinions expressed are really useless. Everything is subjective?

Celebrity has been our favorite cruise line. The new S-class ships are beautiful and their food was always much better than all the other mass market cruise lines. Food quality has been declining over the past few years (ever since they severed their relationship with Michael Roux), but the food on our recent sailing on the Silhouette was really disappointing. I like trying different cruise lines and everything I read says the Oceania food is fantastic. Is there anyone who can provide a comparison of food on recent cruises on both lines, specifically Celebrity S-class ships and Oceania Marina. Thanks.

I can perhaps be somewhat helpful. We've just returned from the Silhouette Feb. 10 to the Caribbean and share your view about food. We were in AQ and were very disappointed with Blu; too many highs and lows and not nearly the consistency as under MR. JVS tries too hard to be edgy with a budget that doesn't support edginess, and uses too many wierd spices and unusual combinations that either work well and are unique or create an awful mess. We didn't experience the MDR, but the alternative dining venues were mostly very good to great, especially Murano and Tuscan Grille. Quisine was very good, but a little overwhelming in terms of food volume and the "guide" concept, and Lawn Club Grille an odd concept e.g. pizza and steak that Oceania would never try. Celebrity is moving to an a la carte experience menu where the base fare + beverage package + alternative dining gets a premium plus experience. I expect that alternative dining will somehow be price reduced in the near future, as their head counts went way down after the price increase.

We're booked on Riviera, but haven't yet been on a Marina class ship. The one cruise we were on Oceania we experienced overall very good to great food, excellent consistency, nice combination of classic preparations with just a touch of edginess, etc. and terrific service in the MDR, Polo and the Italian Restaurant. Can't say whether the economic pressures of the past few years have resulted in any decrease in food or service, but I haven't heard that it has. Oceania does create a country club experience and the feeling of a small ship is very different from the Celebrity Solstice class ships where you have to find your own places to get away from the masses, if you so choose. The higher price point of Oceania also creates a somewhat more homogeneous demographic which in turn results in a somewhat different cruise experience. Oceania IMHO is a Premium Plus (not yet luxury) cruise line, while Celebrity is a cruise line where choices and payment (or lack of additional payment) create a Premium Minus to a Premium Plus experience, albeit on a larger scale ship.

My concerns on Oceania are Internet service (cost and speed), TV programming, and showers:mad:. I'm going to start a separate thread on this, particularly the showers. If anyone has any info on these subjects, I would appreciate your input. Some posts suggest that the shower is an awkward, mini-telephone booth design that is totally disfunctional; we could cancel our trip over just that. It is well documented fact that Internet speeds/reliability and per minute costs are among the worst of major cruise lines, and until they have dealt with that we would never cruise Oceania separated from our children.

I've gone beyond your original question. Hope it's helpful.

Howard

--------------------

Upcoming:

Oceania Riviera (Caribbean) - 01/13

Celebrity Reflection (Maiden Voyage - Northern Europe) - 10/12

Prior Cruises:

Celebrity Silhouette (Caribbean) - 02/12

Celebrity Solstice (Caribbean) - 01/11

Celebrity Century (Caribbean) - 02/10

Celebrity Equinox (Caribbean) - 12/09

Regent Seven Seas Voyager (Western Mediterranean) - 09/09

Oceania Insignia (Western Med/Holy Land/Agean) - 08/08

Celebrity Summit (Alaska) - 08/06

Silver Seas, Silver Wind (Western Mediterranean) - 07/05

Celebrity Constellation (Caribbean) - 03/05

Crystal Serenity (Mediterranean) - 07/04

Celebrity Infinity (Caribbean) - 04/04

Regent Seven Seas Voyager (Northern Europe/Baltic/Russia) - 07/03

Celebrity Infinity (Alaska) - 07/02

Not useless -- but of very limited value when it comes to food and most things. Certainly would not be a determining factor for me.

I generally do not post to ask other people's opinions. How was the food etc? Did you like the ship? I usually ask for facts -- facts that will impact forming my own opinion. I might ask for a recommendation for a hotel or guide, so I have a starting point to do my own research. I will ask if a ship offers X and then decide if that appeals to me.

Look at the reviews on cc -- all over the place -- same cruise -- "worst one I ever took." "Best cruise ever took." "Food was awful." "Food was great." "Service was exceptional." "Service severely flawed." LOL Same on Trip Advisor.

Some of us are more guided by others and these sites are useful for those that are so guided.. I am happy to offer my thoughts to put in the mix when other's ask for feedback. If they find it helpful, good.

Some posts suggest that the shower is an awkward, mini-telephone booth design that is totally disfunctional; we could cancel our trip over just that.

The intensity of a poster's hostility about the shower is directly related to his/her height, weight, and flexibility. The taller and larger and less flexible the poster, the more dissatisfaction with the existing shower.

That said, you might want to wait a bit before cancelling until you hear from cruisers who sail after Marina's week in dry dock. Part of the reason for going into dry dock so soon after launching is a retro-fit of the bathrooms with the problem showers. Those bathrooms will get two changes to the tub, turning it into a more appealing shower: a glass water shield installed on the tub edge and a new shower head mounted high enough to offer a "normal" shower experience. People have expressed some concern about the height of the tub walls, making stepping into and out of the tub a potential problem in rough seas. I haven't heard any mention of a grab bar, but hopefully, that is part of the package.

Frankly, if Oceania would simply get rid of the rainfall shower head and replace it with a conventional wall mounted shower head, a lot of us shorties would have no particular problem continuing to use the existing shower stall.

I agree with your comments but, as you can see, we still have many people who believe that food quality is subjective or maybe people that cannot differentiate between taste and quality. I do agree however, that there are some people who have never had really good food and may think that anything they get on a ship is just great. Then there are the "as long as I don't have to cook it or clean up, its find with me crowd".

Actually, I believe you've introduced the word "quality" into the thread and that is what is causing the disagreement and confusion. People who sail on Oceania can take food quality as a given. Good quality ingredients are the starting point so the only thing left to discuss is the taste. In that case, it is all subjective.

When people mention the joy of not having to cook or clean up, I suspect they're far from the know-nothings you suggest they are. It's equally plausible that they're really saying the quality is a given and there's sufficient variety that they know they'll find something to their taste.

The only Celebrity experience I have had has been recently on Century which is the baby of the fleet, and boasts only one specialty restaurant - Murano. I have also only cruised on the Oceania R class ships.

My food assessment:

Dining Room - Oceania is significantly better (Although the Century dining room is stunning). Both can be patchy but the difference was clear.

Specialty Restaurants - Even on the small ships Oceania has more variety than on the Century as they have both Toscana and Polo Grill. However Murano is easily as good (but you also have to pay for it).

Buffet style dining -Compared to the Oceania R class ships Celebrity is ahead for variety at lunch and dinner, but Oceania does fruit so much better and is generally better for breakfast. Mind you I have only ever heard rave reviews of the buffet on Marina which I have never experienced.

Poolside - Oceania's Waves is a mile in front.

Other - The spa cafe on Celebrity is a great idea for light healthy meals and has no equivalent on the Oceania R ships. But then nothing comes close to Oceania's afternoon tea, even the champagne high teas Murano hosts only just equal it and they have to be paid for and do not happen every day.

The intensity of a poster's hostility about the shower is directly related to his/her height, weight, and flexibility. The taller and larger and less flexible the poster, the more dissatisfaction with the existing shower.

That said, you might want to wait a bit before cancelling until you hear from cruisers who sail after Marina's week in dry dock. Part of the reason for going into dry dock so soon after launching is a retro-fit of the bathrooms with the problem showers. Those bathrooms will get two changes to the tub, turning it into a more appealing shower: a glass water shield installed on the tub edge and a new shower head mounted high enough to offer a "normal" shower experience. People have expressed some concern about the height of the tub walls, making stepping into and out of the tub a potential problem in rough seas. I haven't heard any mention of a grab bar, but hopefully, that is part of the package.

Frankly, if Oceania would simply get rid of the rainfall shower head and replace it with a conventional wall mounted shower head, a lot of us shorties would have no particular problem continuing to use the existing shower stall.

Hi KSPS,

I very much appreciate your response. It's the first time I've heard about the dry dock and the bathroom retrofits. I had gone as far as calling O and never got any form of meaningful response; they never even volunteered a recognition of the issue nor the dry dock plans.

If you know the dry dock dates that would be helpful info. As you could probably tell, it's the one issue that really spooked us on O, although there is no excuse on the Internet being in the dark ages and the degree to which they pick guests pockets on the Internet fees.

Thanks again.

Howard

... and the degree to which they pick guests pockets on the Internet fees...

That's an unfortunate choice of metaphor. Pick pockets decide when to relieve you of your funds; you decide whether to use the internet on Oceania, knowing their rates. I've never had my pocket "picked" on Oceania because I've rarely used the internet. If the internet is very important to you, or if you require reasonable internet, perhaps for your work, then you have to weigh the speed and cost against the other amenities on Oceania.

It's your choice. For example, you can get free internet immediately on Regent by booking an initial cruise of 21 or more days, and get generally better internet service, but you do have to pay Regent's higher costs. You'll also get larger basic suites, open bar, no gratuities, free launderette, and most excursions included, But the fare reflects all of that, including the internet.

Folks like me who don't need the internet on vacation, rarely drink and rarely take ship's excursions, get free gratuities from my agent and don't mind $6 to use the laundry, are thrilled with Oceania's level of service, food and ambiance, and don't put a premium on stateroom size, are thrilled with Oceania's lower (than Regent) price point. Oceania does not nickle and dime and never picks your pocket.

Hi KSPS,

I very much appreciate your response. It's the first time I've heard about the dry dock and the bathroom retrofits. I had gone as far as calling O and never got any form of meaningful response; they never even volunteered a recognition of the issue nor the dry dock plans.

If you know the dry dock dates that would be helpful info. As you could probably tell, it's the one issue that really spooked us on O, although there is no excuse on the Internet being in the dark ages and the degree to which they pick guests pockets on the Internet fees.

Thanks again.

Howard

The following message is taken from a thread titled "Dry Dock for Marina."

We were booked on the 11/15 sailing, here's what they sent us:

Important Information: Marina November 15, 2012 Voyage

Dear Guests and Travel Partners,

In mid-November Marina will need to undergo a number of cosmetic enhancements that include retiling, re-carpeting, adding hand-held showers to both bathtubs and showers, adding glass partitions to the bath tubs and making some galley adjustments to facilitate exciting changes to certain menus. In order to avoid the disruption to guests that some of this refurbishment work would entail if it were done during a sailing, Marina will enter a seven-day dry-dock in Marseilles, which warrants the cancellation of her November 15, 2012 seven-day cruise from Barcelona to Rome.

We regret any inconvenience these changes may cause and hope you understand and appreciate the need for the actions being taken.

I am surprised to read from other posters that there is huge price difference between the two cruise lines as ours was nearly the same cost. Altho not having made final payment on Celebrity we did manage to get a $600 p.p. refund bit no OBC wheres as Riviera gave us $500. Every time I check these boards the comments on Blu sway from bad to good to and fro. I also expect quality fresh food when dining. I like Oceanias no extra upcharge for speciality restaurants and that they have a laundry onboard and no formal nights.

I can perhaps be somewhat helpful. We've just returned from the Silhouette Feb. 10 to the Caribbean and share your view about food. We were in AQ and were very disappointed with Blu; too many highs and lows and not nearly the consistency as under MR. JVS tries too hard to be edgy with a budget that doesn't support edginess, and uses too many wierd spices and unusual combinations that either work well and are unique or create an awful mess. We didn't experience the MDR, but the alternative dining venues were mostly very good to great, especially Murano and Tuscan Grille. Quisine was very good, but a little overwhelming in terms of food volume and the "guide" concept, and Lawn Club Grille an odd concept e.g. pizza and steak that Oceania would never try. Celebrity is moving to an a la carte experience menu where the base fare + beverage package + alternative dining gets a premium plus experience. I expect that alternative dining will somehow be price reduced in the near future, as their head counts went way down after the price increase.

We're booked on Riviera, but haven't yet been on a Marina class ship. The one cruise we were on Oceania we experienced overall very good to great food, excellent consistency, nice combination of classic preparations with just a touch of edginess, etc. and terrific service in the MDR, Polo and the Italian Restaurant. Can't say whether the economic pressures of the past few years have resulted in any decrease in food or service, but I haven't heard that it has. Oceania does create a country club experience and the feeling of a small ship is very different from the Celebrity Solstice class ships where you have to find your own places to get away from the masses, if you so choose. The higher price point of Oceania also creates a somewhat more homogeneous demographic which in turn results in a somewhat different cruise experience. Oceania IMHO is a Premium Plus (not yet luxury) cruise line, while Celebrity is a cruise line where choices and payment (or lack of additional payment) create a Premium Minus to a Premium Plus experience, albeit on a larger scale ship.

My concerns on Oceania are Internet service (cost and speed), TV programming, and showers:mad:. I'm going to start a separate thread on this, particularly the showers. If anyone has any info on these subjects, I would appreciate your input. Some posts suggest that the shower is an awkward, mini-telephone booth design that is totally disfunctional; we could cancel our trip over just that. It is well documented fact that Internet speeds/reliability and per minute costs are among the worst of major cruise lines, and until they have dealt with that we would never cruise Oceania separated from our children.

I've gone beyond your original question. Hope it's helpful.

Howard

--------------------

Upcoming:

Oceania Riviera (Caribbean) - 01/13

Celebrity Reflection (Maiden Voyage - Northern Europe) - 10/12

Prior Cruises:

Celebrity Silhouette (Caribbean) - 02/12

Celebrity Solstice (Caribbean) - 01/11

Celebrity Century (Caribbean) - 02/10

Celebrity Equinox (Caribbean) - 12/09

Regent Seven Seas Voyager (Western Mediterranean) - 09/09

Oceania Insignia (Western Med/Holy Land/Agean) - 08/08

Celebrity Summit (Alaska) - 08/06

Silver Seas, Silver Wind (Western Mediterranean) - 07/05

Celebrity Constellation (Caribbean) - 03/05

Crystal Serenity (Mediterranean) - 07/04

Celebrity Infinity (Caribbean) - 04/04

Regent Seven Seas Voyager (Northern Europe/Baltic/Russia) - 07/03

Celebrity Infinity (Alaska) - 07/02

Thanks for your input. I have read about the shower problems on the new ships. Does not make sense to me. You would think they would make a mockup of the cabin and have "real" people comment on it.

Archived