Oceania vs Celebrity Food

Giorgi-one

Actually, I believe you've introduced the word "quality" into the thread and that is what is causing the disagreement and confusion. People who sail on Oceania can take food quality as a given. Good quality ingredients are the starting point so the only thing left to discuss is the taste. In that case, it is all subjective.

When people mention the joy of not having to cook or clean up, I suspect they're far from the know-nothings you suggest they are. It's equally plausible that they're really saying the quality is a given and there's sufficient variety that they know they'll find something to their taste.

All cruise lines say they are starting with quality ingredients. I have never seen an ad which says that "We use lower quality ingredients so don't expect much". I am just trying to find out if it is worth an extra $3000 to sail on Oceania over Celebrity.

I am surprised to read from other posters that there is huge price difference between the two cruise lines as ours was nearly the same cost. Altho not having made final payment on Celebrity we did manage to get a $600 p.p. refund bit no OBC wheres as Riviera gave us $500. Every time I check these boards the comments on Blu sway from bad to good to and fro. I also expect quality fresh food when dining. I like Oceanias no extra upcharge for speciality restaurants and that they have a laundry onboard and no formal nights.

I recently paid about $1600 for balcony cabin 12 day cruise on Silhouette. 10 day cruises on Riviera are going for over $3000 per person. Am I missing something.

All cruise lines say they are starting with quality ingredients. I have never seen an ad which says that "We use lower quality ingredients so don't expect much". I am just trying to find out if it is worth an extra $3000 to sail on Oceania over Celebrity.

I've gone back to re-read your first post in this thread, and I'm more convinced than ever that most of the responders simply missed the point of your question. You were asking about "quality" and that's such a given on the Oceania ships that folks really don't bother talking about it on a Oceania-specific board. It wasn't until your next post (#6) that you clarified your focus and I tried to address your specific concern.

To reply to your latest post, I'm not focusing on what the cruise line says about its food. I'm reporting on my experience with the line which contrasts to cruises on Celebrity, Princess, NCL, and HAL. Going back twenty-five years, HAL's food used to be atrocious. (Sometime in our HAL era, we sailed to Alaska and South American on Princess. I don't remember the details, but there was an Italian connection with Princess for a while and the pasta offerings were quite remarkable even if the rest of the food was no better than adequate.) HAL's food had begun to improve but, then, Celebrity came into being, and we switched cruise lines. Celebrity's first year of sailing brought remarkable food, but it began to decline. At first the decline was gradual, but with the sale to RCI anbd the introduction of for-a-fee restaurants, the decline seemed sharper. (Of course, even these changes are old news so I don't have any recent experience.) We sailed on NCL with no expectations for good food, but we made the switch because we were tired of assigned seating at set times. We certainly didn't starve, but then, Oceania came into being and we've never looked back.

We sail Oceania for the following reasons: small ships, interesting itineraries, open seating, excellent cuisine including free specialty restaurants, and an enforced non-smoking policy. We always book private excursions for my husband and me so an all-inclusive line holds no appeal. I've identified a significantly larger of reasons than simply food for us to pay Oceania's prices. If you are truly making a choice between two cruise lines on the basis of food, then, I'd agree that $3,000 is a lot to pay for the difference. But the difference does exist; Oceania's food is very high quality.

I recently paid about $1600 for balcony cabin 12 day cruise on Silhouette. 10 day cruises on Riviera are going for over $3000 per person. Am I missing something.

Maybe it's Australian rates. Generally as a rule for us it seems that Oceania is at least twice as expensive as Celebrity.

I think (and just my opinion) that if the food is the only thing that would be driving your change you'll be disappointed. The things that are to me worth more, are first and foremost the itinerary, then in no particular order, size of ship(I like smaller ships) the food, the relaxed dress code, no photographers, a much lower level of pretension among passengers than what I've experienced on Celebrity and in general a more relaxed vibe.

I am a vote for Blu person. The food on Oceania is good - with a menu weighted toward 'American' European dishes. I really emjoyed the variety of dishes in Blu with many dishes being Asian based.

Is Oceania worth the extra cost? We are getting an OV not a balcony so that saves a little. European cruises are expensive for us so we want as much bang for the buck as we can get. I want to see things other than the water from my cabin. One big factor for port intensive cruises is the ability to decompress at a good dinner when we are ready (not on a fixed schedule). Aqua class on Celebrity also has open seating - but the larger ships don't seem to do as many ports as Oceania.

I've gone back to re-read your first post in this thread, and I'm more convinced than ever that most of the responders simply missed the point of your question. You were asking about "quality" and that's such a given on the Oceania ships that folks really don't bother talking about it on a Oceania-specific board. It wasn't until your next post (#6) that you clarified your focus and I tried to address your specific concern.

To reply to your latest post, I'm not focusing on what the cruise line says about its food. I'm reporting on my experience with the line which contrasts to cruises on Celebrity, Princess, NCL, and HAL. Going back twenty-five years, HAL's food used to be atrocious. (Sometime in our HAL era, we sailed to Alaska and South American on Princess. I don't remember the details, but there was an Italian connection with Princess for a while and the pasta offerings were quite remarkable even if the rest of the food was no better than adequate.) HAL's food had begun to improve but, then, Celebrity came into being, and we switched cruise lines. Celebrity's first year of sailing brought remarkable food, but it began to decline. At first the decline was gradual, but with the sale to RCI anbd the introduction of for-a-fee restaurants, the decline seemed sharper. (Of course, even these changes are old news so I don't have any recent experience.) We sailed on NCL with no expectations for good food, but we made the switch because we were tired of assigned seating at set times. We certainly didn't starve, but then, Oceania came into being and we've never looked back.

We sail Oceania for the following reasons: small ships, interesting itineraries, open seating, excellent cuisine including free specialty restaurants, and an enforced non-smoking policy. We always book private excursions for my husband and me so an all-inclusive line holds no appeal. I've identified a significantly larger of reasons than simply food for us to pay Oceania's prices. If you are truly making a choice between two cruise lines on the basis of food, then, I'd agree that $3,000 is a lot to pay for the difference. But the difference does exist; Oceania's food is very high quality.

Thanks. No food is not the only reason but I don't want to pay an extra $3000 and get the same (what I consider low quality) food we have been getting Celebrity for the last few years. I realize I could dine in a Specialty restaurant every night on Celebrity for less money than sailing on Oceania.

When comparing cruise prices, make sure you compare apples to apples, variations include number of nights, level of stateroom and air. O prices include air so make sure you find out either what the air would cost you or find out the air credit from O. Is it really a $3000 difference for two similar cruises or is it a few hundred difference when you get down to comparing the same things?

We've also cruised both and find the food on both to our liking. O wins it for us with smaller ships, no formal nights and the smoking policy. Itinerary is always our biggest factor though.

I have not sailed on X but the food QUALITY on Oceania is very good ...sometimes the chef/cook can make it seem not so good on occasion but yes the initial ingredients are good

It is a personal choice if you think Oceania is worth the extra $$

Thousands of repeat cruisers think so ;)

The only way to find out is to give Oceania a try

Ok. food is totaly subjective...

I went to Oceaina over celeb because of the fact that many things in the dining area are flat expensive on Celeb. To try to eat to the same standard as Marina, would cost $$$$$ a day. Celeb, to me is a nickel and dime mine, It seems they charge for all sorts of little things; an endless stream

Second, I consider the sheer size of Celeb ships. Cooking for almost 3000 has its limiting factors and the sheer potential for better comes from smaller kitchens that can take time to be more creative. Marina is 1/3 the size of the Celeb monsters. and has an open seating policy.

Finaly is the atmosphere, I cant get into ships with lawns,and kids porgrams. I like ships with a ship feel, and traditional. Knowing thet Oceaina is on the same team as Regent is an insurance poicy.

Being on Celeb who has as its partner the carnival line RCI ships is not re-assuring.

I'm surprised Bruin Steve has not been by to post one of his treatise on the subject. You might search for some of the multiple Celebrity vs Oceania threads and check out some of them and especially his posts.

I see quite a few people mention the smoking policy. There is virtually no difference between the two lines policies, except I believe Oceania still allows smoking inside one corner of a lounge while Celebrity has now banned all inside smoking. Make no mistake though, it is not a NON Smoking ship. I've noticed in the past people get the wrong idea when someone mentions the "no smoking policy".

I see quite a few people mention the smoking policy. There is virtually no difference between the two lines policies, except I believe Oceania still allows smoking inside one corner of a lounge while Celebrity has now banned all inside smoking. Make no mistake though, it is not a NON Smoking ship. I've noticed in the past people get the wrong idea when someone mentions the "no smoking policy".

I agree that Oceania is not a NON-smoking ship. I used the word "enforced" smoking policy since I think Oceania does a fine job of enforcing its prohibition of smoking except in the two designated areas.

I have a particular thing about people or companies making rules and, then, not enforcing them. That only leads to frustration for everyone.

nparmelee..have I been hoodwinked by my TA then cause she didnt tell me O includes air?? Its the airfares thats the killer for us coming from Tasmania will be $2,500 EACH!!! thats why we are doing Celebrity then Oceania Celebrity is a 13 day three sea days. Oceania a 10 day no sea days Three ports visited twice. $3400 Aqua class on Celebrity since had a $600 price drop. $3600 for Oceania Riviera.

nparmelee..have I been hoodwinked by my TA then cause she didnt tell me O includes air?? Its the airfares thats the killer for us coming from Tasmania will be $2,500 EACH!!! thats why we are doing Celebrity then Oceania Celebrity is a 13 day three sea days. Oceania a 10 day no sea days Three ports visited twice. $3400 Aqua class on Celebrity since had a $600 price drop. $3600 for Oceania Riviera.

We are travelling from New Zealand and there is no help with airfares for us either - we are looking at around $3,000 each for that. The only reason we have gone with Oceania is that the actual cruise was comparable in price to Celebrity for the same level of room. I must go back to my travel agent though as ask about this air fare offer :)

I agree with your comments but, as you can see, we still have many people who believe that food quality is subjective or maybe people that cannot differentiate between taste and quality. I do agree however, that there are some people who have never had really good food and may think that anything they get on a ship is just great. Then there are the "as long as I don't have to cook it or clean up, its find with me crowd".

Just a comment about "quality."

Looking at a 5kt diamond vs. a 1/2kt diamond an uninformed person might say the larger one was "better" or "higher quality." A jeweler with training would know to look further to ascertain if the quality were there or not, being determined by the fineness of the diamond, not just the size. Just so with the culinary "arts," knowledge gives you the ability to discern quality. Without knowledge of details of the topic under discussion you can't make a valid assessment of quality.

Many posters to "food" questions on these boards do not have the ability to respond on a "level playing field" with people like chefs and really good amateur cooks who understand and know details of finely prepared food. So you just have to read between the lines to try and "sort them out" compared to those who understand the subject.

That's why I like the response above stating how the lettuce was fresh and crisp, and no fat/gristle was left on the meat after eating, etc. These are facts that pertain to quality, not "opinions." Factual detail in responses gives credibility to the opinions whereas "the food stunk" is worse than no response at all.

Finally, as P.T. Barnum said: "There's no accounting for taste." I was on a Costa cruise where a table of eight thought the pasta with red sauce was of "fine quality" and believe me, it was as boring and muddy as "Chef Boy Ar Dee" out of a jar! No garlic, no bright flavor, no bold flavor no discernible herbs, not a bit of "acid"... just bland "red gravy." Quality of food on that Costa ship was the worst I ever experienced on the 14 or so cruises we've taken. Celebrity, by contrast has always pleased me, although being able to order "off the menu" on the QE2 in 1987 was divine (those days are over)!

I'd love to try Oceania, but have to weight the costs. Maybe when a rich relative dies, I can give them a try.

Oh thats so unfair isnt it being only available to people who live in N Amercia :(

Do you think it's an issue of fairness or unfairness? I've always assumed those sorts of differences reflect the laws of the country where the cruises are sold. Years ago, for example, cruise fares in the US used to get quoted including all port fees. Then, legislation got passed requiring cruise lines to quote those fees as a separate number.

Clearly, this current situation clearly makes them vulnerable for someone to post a complaint about fairness!

Since I'm sure Oceania makes some profit on offering air fare, I'm confident they'd rather be able to sell airfare to cruisers booking from outside the US, too.

We also just returned from the 2/10 sailing (12 night) sailing on Silhouette. We only ate in the MDR once, one night in our room and the rest in the Speciality Restaurants. The food was not great in the MDR and the cost of the trip was so low ($3000 for the 2 of us) that it was easy to justify eating in the speciality restaurants the remaining nights; X offers a 5 night package (including wine) for $399 per couple. We loved the ship, although a little big but I never felt that the ship was overly crowded. We have only sailed Insigna once and Regatta once; although we are doing Lisbon to NYC on Regatta in September. I would say that the food and service in the speciality restaurants is equal on both lines and the food and service in the dining room better on Oceania.

Just a comment about "quality."

Looking at a 5kt diamond vs. a 1/2kt diamond an uninformed person might say the larger one was "better" or "higher quality." A jeweler with training would know to look further to ascertain if the quality were there or not, being determined by the fineness of the diamond, not just the size. Just so with the culinary "arts," knowledge gives you the ability to discern quality. Without knowledge of details of the topic under discussion you can't make a valid assessment of quality.

Many posters to "food" questions on these boards do not have the ability to respond on a "level playing field" with people like chefs and really good amateur cooks who understand and know details of finely prepared food. So you just have to read between the lines to try and "sort them out" compared to those who understand the subject.

That's why I like the response above stating how the lettuce was fresh and crisp, and no fat/gristle was left on the meat after eating, etc. These are facts that pertain to quality, not "opinions." Factual detail in responses gives credibility to the opinions whereas "the food stunk" is worse than no response at all.

Finally, as P.T. Barnum said: "There's no accounting for taste." I was on a Costa cruise where a table of eight thought the pasta with red sauce was of "fine quality" and believe me, it was as boring and muddy as "Chef Boy Ar Dee" out of a jar! No garlic, no bright flavor, no bold flavor no discernible herbs, not a bit of "acid"... just bland "red gravy." Quality of food on that Costa ship was the worst I ever experienced on the 14 or so cruises we've taken. Celebrity, by contrast has always pleased me, although being able to order "off the menu" on the QE2 in 1987 was divine (those days are over)!

I'd love to try Oceania, but have to weight the costs. Maybe when a rich relative dies, I can give them a try.

I understand that Costa food has gone way down since Carnival bought them. However, what you described with pasta is not what I meant by quality. I am not talking about taste. I am not looking for finely prepared food. I am not looking for gourmet food. I am not looking for 5* food. To me quality means tender juicy steaks, hearty (not watery) soups, flaky firm fish as opposed to mushy fish, 6 or 8 oz lobster tails as opposed to 2 oz lobster tails, firm shrimp as opposed to soggy shrimp, etc. For the most part, Celebrity failed to provide any of these quality items in the MDR on my last cruise. I understand they are serving 3000 people. That is their problem and they need to have enough people in the kitchen to live up to their advertisements. However, the quality I described above has very little to do with the number of people being served. I am so very tired of hearing that excuse.

To me quality means tender juicy steaks, hearty (not watery) soups, flaky firm fish as opposed to mushy fish, 6 or 8 oz lobster tails as opposed to 2 oz lobster tails, firm shrimp as opposed to soggy shrimp, etc.

I have never had lobster or a steak on Oceania

The lobster in Toscana looked very good & a good portion size (but does not like me)

Just my experience

I did have the steak frites in GDR was cooked very well & very tasty

Shrimp was delicious, salmon was firm & not dry, battered fish (fish & chips)was cooked right & flaky, lamb chops so tender, crab cake ..YUMMM, Burgers at Waves very good

too many other items to mention

OMG got to go wipe my face I am drooling

The only way to see if you like Oceania is to try it

Try a 7 day cruise if you think you will be disappointed

Lyn

I am not a gemologist, but I'm sure I can tell you which diamond is a better cut, color, quality compared to another. I, and I think the OP are trying to find out if Oceania's food is the same as Celebrity's or a little better, or vastly better. We are elite members on Celebrity and get allot of perks by sailing on her. We haven't sailed on Oceania as yet, but do have a cruise booked. I know we will enjoy no formal nights, but is the food so much better to make up for paying twice the price? By the way, on Celebrity's S class, all indoor areas are smoke free, including the casino, (yeah!!) and there are a few outdoor area set aside for smokers. No smoking is allowed on any balconies.

I don't know why I'm so worried about this anyway, I'm on a diet!

I am elite on Celebrity and have only been on one Oceania cruise, although the second is next week. The last Celebrity cruise was on the Silhouette Holy Land and Transatlantic. The food in the MDR was awful! At $35-$40 pp, I can't tell you what it is like in the specialty restaurants. The food on Oceania, consistently, is so much better than what Celebrity has become. I will only go on another Celebrity cruise to be with friends that I have met on other Celebrity cruises - it will certainly not be for the food!!!

Marilyn

Bargain $3000 for both of you wowsers. We are paying $3600 each and no airfares or 2 for 1 offers. Cant book direct either boo!!!

Not sure whose post you were referring to. When I said $1500 on Celebrity and $3000 on Oceania, that was per person.

Archived