Natural history Tour

OPSnorkeler

Well, I see that 76 people have read this post and no one has responded.

The NHT has no value in the sense that you're paying $$ for a trip to milepost 17. There's a FREE bus that will take you to milepost 15! There are 100 miles of Park road, but on the NHT you will only see 17 miles of it, therefore greatly limiting your opportunity to view wildlife and scenery. Not to say you won't enjoy the NHT. It's just not of any value.

The last thread about the NHT:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1569531

This is the park map with all the tour/shuttle stops marked to give you a better idea of the entire route and how limiting the NHT is.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

You are looking for information, to make you feel better about this tour inclusion??

Be advised that if you happen to get a positive post, they likely did not go any further into Denali.

Denali Park is the highlight of most cruisetours. If it doesn't matter to you, at least you know more than a lot of people and are ok with the decisions.

Bottom line, is to do a tour of YOUR preferences. It doesn't matter what anyone else does. :)

If you made up your mind that this tour is not right for you before hand than you won't like it. Don't second guess your self go with the intent of enjoying it and you will. I have been on sooo many tours that other people said that they did not like and wondered what is wrong with THEM, this is a great tour.

I have been on sooo many tours that other people said that they did not like and wondered what is wrong with THEM, this is a great tour.

You have taken both the Natural History tour and Tundra Wilderness tour??

I will still say- anyone who settles for not getting into Denali Park, should perhaps, think of the overall, and look at the many touring opportunities available. Time may be better spent on the Kenai Peninsula, as an example. It is hardly worth it to see Alaska from the Parks Highway/Alaska RR, for 240 miles, one way, with little else.

Thanks for your replies. I looked at the information for both tours again and I am convinced that we should try to upgrade to the Wilderness tour. My husband is still in the consideration stage.

We will have to work with our TA if we decide to upgrade, because the Natural History Tour was included in our package.

I've seen a number of criticisms here about the Natural History Tour in Denali. I would like to hear from anyone who has enjoyed the tour and why. Does it have any value?

Thank you.

The first time we went to Denali we went on a 7 day cruise, 4 days on land in August. The Natural History Tour was on our itinerary, it was raining and I was glad to get back to the Chalets at the end of the tour. You see Savage Cabin and listen to the story of the cabin told by a park employee. We saw Ptarmigan and learned how they are white in winter. We got out of the bus to hear a naturalist talk at Primrose Ridge. It was raining so I headed back to the bus and looked directly at two moose passing the road in front of me.

The next time we went to Deanli we did the Tundra Wilderness Tour and have done it two or three times. The last time I expected to get to Eielson Visitors center but the bus was to turn around before we got there. I complained so that the bus driver contacted a park bus nearby and he stopped and picked us up and told us when we got to Eielson the dispatcher would put us on a bus to return to the park entrance. The bus wasn't nearly as nice as the TWT bus but it was interesting as we stopped to pick up hikers along the way until we were full. The driver wasn't as knowledgeable as the TWT driver but that was probably by chance. Also, the TWT and the NHT both give you informational booklets that tell about the park, the terrain, and the animals in the park.

Both stop for animal viewing and bathroom breaks.

This year we will go to Kantishna and stay a couple of nights at the lodge so we can see Wonder Lake and hopefully a clear view of the mountain. I hope we get good weather and that the mosquitoes aren't too bad!

Thanks for your replies. I looked at the information for both tours again and I am convinced that we should try to upgrade to the Wilderness tour. My husband is still in the consideration stage.

We will have to work with our TA if we decide to upgrade, because the Natural History Tour was included in our package.

Here is the Reservation site for the tours and shuttles. It's a little more informative than the NP site.

The TWT is $113, to Mile 53, 7-8 hours

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

The Eielson Visitor Center shuttle is $34, to Mile 66, 8 hrs

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/eielson-visitor-center.aspx

One thing that wasn't discussed ... with the shuttles you reserve a specific departure time, they generally leave every 15 minutes. With the tours you select AM or PM and are assigned a time within that window.

Have a wonderful time, whichever you choose!

The next time we went to Deanli we did the Tundra Wilderness Tour and have done it two or three times. The last time I expected to get to Eielson Visitors center but the bus was to turn around before we got there. I complained so that the bus driver contacted a park bus nearby and he stopped and picked us up and told us when we got to Eielson the dispatcher would put us on a bus to return to the park entrance. The bus wasn't nearly as nice as the TWT bus but it was interesting as we stopped to pick up hikers along the way until we were full. The driver wasn't as knowledgeable as the TWT driver but that was probably by chance. Also, the TWT and the NHT both give you informational booklets that tell about the park, the terrain, and the animals in the park.

Both stop for animal viewing and bathroom breaks.

!

You "complained" because your TWT bus stopped before Eielson?? You were the one who was wrong since the TWT has NEVER gone as far as Eielson and ALWAYS turns around prior.

Are you also considering the shuttle buses?? IF so, there would be no additional money. All you would do is have your TA get the NHT refunded. THEN you would book yourself direct, and get an exact time, rather than go into the cruisetour pool.

One thing that wasn't discussed ... with the shuttles you reserve a specific departure time, they generally leave every 15 minutes. With the tours you select AM or PM and are assigned a time within that window.

Have a wonderful time, whichever you choose!

This isn't true, IF you book direct, you get a specific time with BOTH shuttle and tour buses.

Also if on a cruisetour, you have paid the park admission fee, be certain to mention that and not pay it again, if you book anything yourself, direct.

We are booked on the NHT though Princess, but we are planning on canceling it. I got an email today, stating that Princess would refund the price back to us even though it was included in the total tour cost, so that seems the best thing to do.

Now I need to make a decision as to what I want to book instead. We are arriving by bus at the Princess Denali Lodge (coming from the McKinley Princess lodge) between noon and 12:30pm. I notice the TWT can be booked directly through the NPS/Aramark to p/u at our hotel at 1:30pm for about $30 per person less than booking through Princess. I also looked at the shuttle to Toklat and it can be booked as late as 3pm which would allow us to make our own way to the visitor center.

We've never been to Denali NP, and even though the 1/2 day is not optimal it is what we got. Taking into consideration that we've never been before I'd appreciate anyone's advice/opinions as to whether it is best to to the TWT versus or the shuttle. We are not hikers but enjoy nature and wildlife and enjoy taking pictures. Considering it is about $90 more per person for the TWT than the shuttle, and I want to make sure it is worth the money. I'm also a bit skeptical as to whether the TWT will actually be going to mile 53 on our dates. Anyone booked the TWT or NHT directly online with p/u at the Denali lodge and had any problems? Anyone taken the Princess shuttle from the lodge to the visitors center and know how often it runs? Another concern I have is that I've heard so much about the huge amounts of snowfall this year in Alaska that I am concerned the opening could be delayed another week and the TWT or the Toklat shuttle won't be running as we will be there on 24MAY.

Thoughts?

You "complained" because your TWT bus stopped before Eielson?? You were the one who was wrong since the TWT has NEVER gone as far as Eielson and ALWAYS turns around prior.

And every time they would tell us about the wonderful visitor's center they were building so I kind of expected that the tour would go there some day. If I hadn't said anything to the driver we still wouldn't have seen it. Now I understand that it is better this way. The visitor's center was plenty busy without the TWT busses! I found the park bus really interesting and a number of people were left at the side of the road waiting to be picked up. If you are traveling with a group of people you may not all be able to hop the next bus that comes along! You may have to split up or wait for a bus that has room for everybody.

Guess I used the wrong word...the driver was very nice to arrange the transfer for us and we definitely expressed our appreciation. It was a new adventure, sometimes those little unexpected moments are the highlights of a trip!

We are booked on the NHT though Princess, but we are planning on canceling it. I got an email today, stating that Princess would refund the price back to us even though it was included in the total tour cost, so that seems the best thing to do.

Now I need to make a decision as to what I want to book instead. We are arriving by bus at the Princess Denali Lodge (coming from the McKinley Princess lodge) between noon and 12:30pm. I notice the TWT can be booked directly through the NPS/Aramark to p/u at our hotel at 1:30pm for about $30 per person less than booking through Princess. I also looked at the shuttle to Toklat and it can be booked as late as 3pm which would allow us to make our own way to the visitor center.

We've never been to Denali NP, and even though the 1/2 day is not optimal it is what we got. Taking into consideration that we've never been before I'd appreciate anyone's advice/opinions as to whether it is best to to the TWT versus or the shuttle. We are not hikers but enjoy nature and wildlife and enjoy taking pictures. Considering it is about $90 more per person for the TWT than the shuttle, and I want to make sure it is worth the money. I'm also a bit skeptical as to whether the TWT will actually be going to mile 53 on our dates. Anyone booked the TWT or NHT directly online with p/u at the Denali lodge and had any problems? Anyone taken the Princess shuttle from the lodge to the visitors center and know how often it runs? Another concern I have is that I've heard so much about the huge amounts of snowfall this year in Alaska that I am concerned the opening could be delayed another week and the TWT or the Toklat shuttle won't be running as we will be there on 24MAY.

Thoughts?

Here's some discussion of this exact topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1509827&highlight=may+shuttle

I am doing the same thing but coming from Fairbanks with Princess on May 25. The TWT is booked with Princess, so I booked the NHT. But reading the posts sounds like a mistake. I want to book the Tundra tour with the NPS but I am worried that I may not arrrive by 1:30. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!! So excited to see Denali!!

I am doing the same thing but coming from Fairbanks with Princess on May 25. The TWT is booked with Princess, so I booked the NHT. But reading the posts sounds like a mistake. I want to book the Tundra tour with the NPS but I am worried that I may not arrrive by 1:30. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!! So excited to see Denali!!

Are you taking the train to Denali? If so, it arrives at 12:15pm. Won't you have the 26th to see Denali?

Look at the links I posted in #8. That reservation site will take you to specific times available for tours and shuttles. ie the Toklat Shuttle leaves at 1p, 2p and 3pm. At least that will get you to mile 53.

https://reservedenali.ahlsmsworld.com/ReserveDenali/Plan-Your-Trip/Tour-And-Activity-Search/Results

Thoughts?

You are certain about these times??? Princess, in the past, ran shuttle buses once/hour to the Access Center, where the shuttle buses depart from. You should have NO problem getting there, if your times are accurate. There also is a "taxi" that is sometimes mentioned that is available. I suggest you research this, and contact them perhaps, at least for the return to the Princess lodge, since they do NOT run Lodge shuttles late for the last Toklat shuttle buses.

Overall, it's all about DISTANCE getting into the park, and at the signficant differnce in rates, the shuttle buses are the deal in Alaska. :) So, it's up to your choice, and the money you wish to spend. The information I have given you, are the details you need if you wish to go on the shuttle bus.

There is no point in being concerned about the access into Denali-unless- are you WILLING to change your dates for more access?? If you aren't then the shuttle buses will run as far as they can. That's it.

Are you aware of the differences in these two tours??? IF not, please educated yourself with the details. http://www.nps.gov/dena Are you going on BOTH, have you canceled one???

What is your itinerary with your crusietours, copy and paste, if you want accurate information.

It's very unlikely that the Park road would not open in time to meet the bus schedules. Occassionally camp sites haven't been unavailable due to winter weather repairs, but the Park road opens on time. Snow removal starts mid March and you can follow their progress on the Park web site ... where they occassionally post updates and photos.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newsreleases.htm

Archived