Glaciers, Fjords and Whale Watching??

kenmii

Hi All-

There are so many choices and we don't know which one to do or to do them all? Assuming we won't return, which one to do? There will be 2 children (7 and 10), two adults (30's) and two adults (70's) and we have no preference.

Flightseeing: Talkeetna, Misty Fjord or both?

Fjords: Kenai Fjord, Misty Fjord or both?

Whale Watching: Prince William Sound or Juneau?

Glaciers: Talkeetna, Medenhall or both? We will cruise through Hubbard and Glacier Bay (?)

Thanks!

Hi All-

There are so many choices and we don't know which one to do or to do them all? Assuming we won't return, which one to do? There will be 2 children (7 and 10), two adults (30's) and two adults (70's) and we have no preference.

Flightseeing: Talkeetna, Misty Fjord or both?

Fjords: Kenai Fjord, Misty Fjord or both?

Whale Watching: Prince William Sound or Juneau?

Glaciers: Talkeetna, Medenhall or both? We will cruise through Hubbard and Glacier Bay (?)

Thanks!

You are open to doing all these tours??? Both flights are clearly worthwhile. Kenai Fjords and Misty Fiords area totally different. There is NO "whale watching" with any consistancy out of Prince William sound. I have sailed here many times, and my whale sightings have been, maybe, 25%.

There aren't any "glaciers" out of Talkeetna, unless you are flying McKinley. Mendenhall is an simple easy glacier add on. All these choices are good (with the accurate comments), depends how you wish to spend your limited time??

Budget Queen... We are open to doing anything since we don't know if we will return. Perhaps we skip PWS? I hear lots of good feeback on PWS, but if Juneau is the best, we can go there.

The glacier at talkeetna would be via flight and we will be visiting exit glacier too (forgot about that one!). I read on another posting that after seeing all these glaciers, mendenhall may not be worth seeing. So rather than mendenhall, we can do the whale watching. But if there are any excursions that shouldnt be missed, let me know!

Budget Queen... We are open to doing anything since we don't know if we will return. Perhaps we skip PWS? I hear lots of good feeback on PWS, but if Juneau is the best, we can go there.

The glacier at talkeetna would be via flight and we will be visiting exit glacier too (forgot about that one!). I read on another posting that after seeing all these glaciers, mendenhall may not be worth seeing. So rather than mendenhall, we can do the whale watching. But if there are any excursions that shouldnt be missed, let me know!

Prince William Sound boat tours are top glacier scenic tours. If you want trekking then I recommend Matanuska, guided, easy access and reasonable cost.

There is plenty that shouldn't be "missed" just depends what your most interest is??

I believe Juneau is the best for whale watching tours. We also loved the trek on Mendenhall glacier, the Hubbard experience is quite different. You might want to take the McKinley flight at Talkeetna too, it was quite something. And how about a kayaking trip on a glacier lake, that's something unique. Happy travels :)

I see... I think I have my info mixed up. I am going to PWS for the 26 glaciers and juneau for the whales. Thanks for the clarification. We will do both!

When I think trekking, I am thinking long walks and with two kids and two older parents. I am worried. Kayaking worries me too. However, I will check them both out. I may be in for a surprise. Which is the best place for kayaking? Perhaps Kenai Fjords?

I am interested in any activity that will keep the kids excited and expose them to this beautiful state, as well as allow the older parents to enjoy it without tiring them out. So throw out the suggestions!

I think I can get dropped off at mendenhall after the whale watching, so we can say that we were there! LOL... But then no tram. So tram or glacier??

Thanks again everyone!

I see... I think I have my info mixed up. I am going to PWS for the 26 glaciers and juneau for the whales. Thanks for the clarification. We will do both!

When I think trekking, I am thinking long walks and with two kids and two older parents. I am worried. Kayaking worries me too. However, I will check them both out. I may be in for a surprise. Which is the best place for kayaking? Perhaps Kenai Fjords?

I am interested in any activity that will keep the kids excited and expose them to this beautiful state, as well as allow the older parents to enjoy it without tiring them out. So throw out the suggestions!

I think I can get dropped off at mendenhall after the whale watching, so we can say that we were there! LOL... But then no tram. So tram or glacier??

Thanks again everyone!

I suggest you involve everyone in these decisions. :) Split up according to interests. There is plenty of tours with transportation if needed.

As for the tram- there is good hiking available, but Mendenhall is an easy add on with a whale watch. Ask your group??

Kenai Fjords is all about wildlife with a Kenai Fjords boat tour, a lot of varied wildlife sceen, and a close up glacier viewing. May be of interest for everyone?? But, you need at least 6 hours on the water, and precautions are necessary, if prone to motion sickness.. (I see sick passengers every trip)

Kayaking is pretty easy on Mendenhall Lake, with self guided options.

• 3 weeks later...

You do have a diverse group of people and several different sets of interests. I know that you think this is a once in a lifetime trip - I though so too - but we are going back for thirds this summer.

I have not seen the interior - but have plans for it on trip 4 or 5 :):D

You have not given us your ship, but I presume it is one of the Southbound Princess ships that does Hubbard and Glacier Bay - Either the Diamond or Sapphire

Flightseeing is a great way to get an overall perspective on how big and majestic Alaska really is. You could probably do this twice (if you have the $$) once in Denali and again in Ketchikan. I would also suggest a hellicopter flightseeing tour that lands on top of a glacier - there are some that even offer a dog sled ride on top of the glacier - they are out of Juneau.

Whale watching - Juneau's Auke bay is the most popular spot. Depending on how much time you have in port you might be able to do both whale watching and a flightseeing trip.

By the time you see Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay you probably will not miss anything by skipping Mendenhall.

You will also visit Skagway - this town has lots of Gold Rush history as well as several opportunities for hiking, horseback riding, a train ride, gold panning and more. Should be able to find something for everyone. You usually spend an entire day here so you can do at least two tours.

Ketchikan is another place to do flightseeing - it is the place to see Misty Fjords, It is also known for the Deadlist Catch crab boat experience, a Lumberjack show and totem poles to name a few.

I also suggest that you consider going seperate ways if not everyone agrees on which excursion they want to do - grandma and grandpa may want to do something on their own - or boys vs girls. This will create lots of good conversation at dinner.

For more information on touring in Alaska I reccommend the following web sites:

http://www.travelalaska.com/

http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html#

You wrote that you don't you qualify for the coupon at Major. Why? I just booked with Major Marine today (7.5 hour Kenai Fjords Tour) - they honored my Toursaver coupon. You do have to take this cruise 6/9/12 or later. If you have at least 4 people, would it pay to get 2 coupon books and make 2 separate reservations?

Which Kenai Fjords cruise tour is recommended? Kenai Fjords or Major? I don' think we qualify for the coupon at Major.

Thanks!

You wrote that you don't you qualify for the coupon at Major. Why? I just booked with Major Marine today (7.5 hour Kenai Fjords Tour) - they honored my Toursaver coupon. You do have to take this cruise 6/9/12 or later. If you have at least 4 people, would it pay to get 2 coupon books and make 2 separate reservations?

I'll look again, but i recall the expiration date was right before we arrived :(

You do have a diverse group of people and several different sets of interests. I know that you think this is a once in a lifetime trip - I though so too - but we are going back for thirds this summer.

I have not seen the interior - but have plans for it on trip 4 or 5 :):D

You have not given us your ship, but I presume it is one of the Southbound Princess ships that does Hubbard and Glacier Bay - Either the Diamond or Sapphire

Flightseeing is a great way to get an overall perspective on how big and majestic Alaska really is. You could probably do this twice (if you have the $$) once in Denali and again in Ketchikan. I would also suggest a hellicopter flightseeing tour that lands on top of a glacier - there are some that even offer a dog sled ride on top of the glacier - they are out of Juneau.

Whale watching - Juneau's Auke bay is the most popular spot. Depending on how much time you have in port you might be able to do both whale watching and a flightseeing trip.

By the time you see Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay you probably will not miss anything by skipping Mendenhall.

You will also visit Skagway - this town has lots of Gold Rush history as well as several opportunities for hiking, horseback riding, a train ride, gold panning and more. Should be able to find something for everyone. You usually spend an entire day here so you can do at least two tours.

Ketchikan is another place to do flightseeing - it is the place to see Misty Fjords, It is also known for the Deadlist Catch crab boat experience, a Lumberjack show and totem poles to name a few.

I also suggest that you consider going seperate ways if not everyone agrees on which excursion they want to do - grandma and grandpa may want to do something on their own - or boys vs girls. This will create lots of good conversation at dinner.

For more information on touring in Alaska I reccommend the following web sites:

http://www.travelalaska.com/

http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html#

The cruise port insider is a new website I never heard of... Thanks, as well as the other info!

Archived