taxi in fort-de-france, martinique

dr.dawg

hi, dr.dawg here. i am taking the march 23, maasdam cruise to the southern caribbean. one of our ports is fdf martinique. yes, i know it is french, and that says a lot to me; i've been there once prior. my question, if you don't want to take a ship tour, can you simply get a cab to where you want to go -- in our case that wonderful lookout, maybe fort, away from town and overlooking the sea. anyone done this, or just taken a cab to a destination in general? are american dollars accepted? how about rates, though we know to negotiate before getting in the cab? and how about getting back to the ship? we only want to stay about two hours at a good scenic spot, but don't want a whole island tour. i found martinique to be not so hospitable. i would appreciate any input. thanks so much.

They prefer Euros as they are part of France. On my first stop there I thought people weren't nice but last yr. we took the tour to Pele and Botanical gardens, then stopped in a supermkt near the ship and I found people very nice. Good cheap Fr wine and cheese at mkt. We used Visa there. Need photo i.d. One must be careful of pickpockets etc. in the downtown area.

There are taxi's around. Maybe the person who does the talk about shopping the day before you stop there can give you more info. Have you tried CC's port of call boards??

We were there a couple of weeks ago and wherever we went they insisted on Euros. (shops, bars) There were a few taxis as we left the port gate, but didn't pay much attention to them as we were walking around town. Our friends wanted to hire a taxi to take them to the Botanical Gardens and it was 80 Euros RT, with a wait time of only an hour, so they didn't go.

Some drivers speak just enough english to get you in their cab, but don't know enough to carry on a conversation. So, try a conversation before getting in. Everything in Martinique is expensive, and they want euros.

thanks, folks, for your replies. just as i thought, really. that 80-euro cab ride to the botanical gardens is really pricey. i will talk to the port person on board, though. again, thanks so much. dr.dawg

This is an actual département of France, not an independant French speaking island. You wouldn't go to Paris with only dollars...would you?

I do speak a fair amount of French. The Martinique islanders are warm, friendly, charming, and helpful.....to me.

Buy a French phrase book. Memorize a couple. Bring euros. They will adore you.

On this island, it's all about making the extra effort, IMHO.

thanks fannish, but, frankly, pardon the pun, i would not go to paris these days with or without euros. but, of course, i see your point. i was only interested in a few hours off the ship to go to a beautiful site. i didn't want to exchange dollars for euros, which probably will only be left over after the day ashore. and hassel with the exchange rate; not worth it for me or my travel companion. and if martinique is as dangerous and inhospitable as guadeloupe, well, i'll stay on the ship. the last time i was on guadeloupe, we HAD to stay on board because several pax were robbed and threatened on a sunday, just outside the barricades. but, i am widely traveled, and i do understand your sympathies in your reply. thank you. dr. dawg

Well, I speak French and it didn't seem to make a difference. I was just a tourist to them. We sat in a bar waiting for our libations...waiting...waiting...while all the locals got served first. Even though they arrived after we did. I was all primed to like the island, but was turned off instead.

Archived