NCL Crown-Opinions?

claudie

Hi,

We sailed on Crown 6/27/04 and we had gorgeous weather the whole trip to Bermuda, not too hot, clear blue skies, great sail-away.

Coming back at Dawn past statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline framed by a crystal clear blue sky was so beautiful (and I'm a New Yorker! still beautiful everytime) The Crown is older but since it was our first cruise we didn't care and aren't super picky types anyway. We had no buffet restrictions and served ourselves, so I guess it must have to do with current conditions, as someone said. There are hand sanitizers at every entry to an eating area. No sickness onboard our cruise as far as we know. We had an oceanview stateroom with 3 people and didn't feel cramped really.

We're about to leave on Dawn for the 1st time and had booked an AF mini-suite. NCL called to see if we wanted an AB penthouse. I said no at first, but then read all the posts raving about the cabin. Some pics from one previous guest sold me. WOW what a nice cabin!! Can't wait.

Feel free to ask questions about the Crown. I'd go again. DO THE CHOCOHOLIC BUFFET!!! Unreal. Don't eat that day.

Hi Claudie! I had the pleasure of sailing the Crown, 14 days from Canada to Bermuda to Colonial America. This was October/November 1997, and the captain remarked daily on the sunshine. He also advised we would never in a million cruises get 14 days of sunshine on that itinerary at that time of year, ever again. It was the itinerary that sold us on that particular sailing.

The average age of the passenger was 71, per the cruise staff. I was with two girlfriends (Mother's Mental-Health Holiday) and we were in our late 30's. From embarkation to disembarkation we heard "You must be the youngest kids on this cruise."

For us, it was a GREAT cruise. The time of year and length of cruise pretty much limits potential passengers to those who are retired. The kids are all in school. We had such lovely tablemates that I've actually taken my family to Chicago to visit them. I'm sure your daughter would be treated like a Princess, but if she's looking for a lot of interaction with other kids, she may be out of luck.

We were on the Crown Odyssey twice, while she was the flagship of the late lamented Royal Cruise Line, and the ship was a classy lady in her day.

I don't think I would care to go on her now that NCL has taken out the indoor pool, and the movie theater, and converted the areas into more cabins.

I think it would feel somewhat more crowded now, and certainly not have the same ambience.

My understanding is that the indoor pool was replaced by more cabins for waiters, since the freestyle system requires more staff. I love indoor pools myself, but you can't argue with more waitstaff ;) At least those cabins aren't used for more passengers...

If I recall correctly, there is no laundry room on the Crown. There was a 'last day' special where you could have a large of bag of laundry done for a special price, but I don't recall just what that price was. I still have my Freestyle Dailies posted on my website... you could look in Thursday or Friday's daily to see if it's listed:

http://www.mealservicesoftware.com/downloads/Norwegian_Crown_Freestyle_Daily_Thursday.pdf

http://www.mealservicesoftware.com/downloads/Norwegian_Crown_Freestyle_Daily_Friday.pdf

Phil Frank

Does the Crown have balconies in their suites? I want to do Bermuda next year but must have a balcony. I have been spoiled by the Dawn and the Legend. My first cruise was on the Horizon with no balcony. It was great but now I know what having a balcony is like. I love freestyle so NCL is my preference. I will do the 5 day RCI ship if the Crown doesn't have balconies.

Does the Crown have balconies in their suites? I want to do Bermuda next year but must have a balcony. I have been spoiled by the Dawn and the Legend. My first cruise was on the Horizon with no balcony. It was great but now I know what having a balcony is like. I love freestyle so NCL is my preference. I will do the 5 day RCI ship if the Crown doesn't have balconies.

The Crown has 16 balcony suites on the Penthouse deck, 12 Owner's Suites and 4 Penthouses.

Archived