Concordia effect

Well , if "their days are numbered", then Costa would have 15 ships to dispose of! :eek:

Does the 15 include Concordia ? Cause I think they already "disposed" of that one .

Now there's one ship I would reduce the tip amount on .

It's had a different effect over at NCL!

I suppose they think that they are going to get a flood of Carnival Corp jumpers.

We were planning on booking a hawaiian vacation on them next year, since they have the only 7 day itinerary. I've been having the rates watched, as I haven't been able to nail down a date...

They have bumped up their rates $50 FOUR TIMES since Jan 23! I've never seen HAL make crazy price increases like that!!

Needless to say, they have lost our business. If only HAL had an itinerary we could work with. :( As it is, it looks like we will select Princess for a two weeker leaving out of SF (We live really close by, it will be interesting!)

SERIOUSLY, shame on NCL for trying to take advantage!

Seriously, NCL is only 7 day game in town in the Hawaiian islands. They manage to sell out the ship week after week, year after year.They don't need to deep discount most cabins to get a booking a year out.

Most Costa pax are European. Most NCL pax are North American. Most Europeans prefer to sail from European ports, no different than most North Americans prefer to sail from U.S. ports. I don't think there are too many Europeans willing to spend 18-20 hours flight time to catch a cruise out of Hawaii.

Does the 15 include Concordia ? Cause I think they already "disposed" of that one .

Now there's one ship I would reduce the tip amount on .

Yes, the 15 includes 'Concordia'! I was unaware that it had been decided that the 'Concordia' has been "disposed" of! :confused: So, it is being scrapped, is it? I must have missed the news bulletin/report! :o

The question of who is going to end up with what ship is of less importance than ships sailing under whichever brand do so safely.

People died on the Concordia. Yet the danger is the story will be yet another 9 day wonder. Even in the brief time the story was in the spotlight, serious questions respecting maritime safety were highlighted - across all lines - but we don't speak much of today.

The brave actions of that little girl - an early 20's tourism graduate from South America tower over the collective corporate response of the Carnival execs so idealized by some on this board.

For her and her family's sake, for all our sakes, lets hope that her death was not in vain, and her courage celebrated by stronger, safer maritime regulation.

What will happen to Costa ships? Who cares.

Smooth sailing...

Seriously, NCL is only 7 day game in town in the Hawaiian islands. They manage to sell out the ship week after week, year after year.

That is a fact. I am surprised no others (HAL, X) deploy a ship on that route. It would interest me for certain.

I suppose they think that they are going to get a flood of Carnival Corp jumpers.

We were planning on booking a hawaiian vacation on them next year, since they have the only 7 day itinerary. I've been having the rates watched, as I haven't been able to nail down a date...

They have bumped up their rates $50 FOUR TIMES since Jan 23! I've never seen HAL make crazy price increases like that!!

Needless to say, they have lost our business. If only HAL had an itinerary we could work with. :( As it is, it looks like we will select Princess for a two weeker leaving out of SF (We live really close by, it will be interesting!)

SERIOUSLY, shame on NCL for trying to take advantage!

Don't understand what you mean about NCL & why they have lost your business...:confused:

Just because they bumped up their prices you seem to be assuming they are taking advantage of the Costa Problems..

The price of fuel has gone up since the first of the year daily... Did it ever occur to you, that their increases might be to offset these higher fuel prices, especially on their Hawaiian cruises?

Betty

Yes, the 15 includes 'Concordia'! I was unaware that it had been decided that the 'Concordia' has been "disposed" of! :confused: So, it is being scrapped, is it? I must have missed the news bulletin/report! :o

I do not know that I have seen anything stating either way yet. However I would imagine the longer the Concordia is lying where she is the less chance true salvage will be considered.

To salvage in one piece so as to repair, refloat and even consider cruising again would be a massive financial hurdle, and may be determined that from an insurance point of view better to write off then repair. I mean no matter how well it was done that ship no matter the name or crew or safety procedures put in place would have one very big stigma about it.

There is no reason that Costa incidents are they only reason for the drop in the market.

Don't forget that the economical situation, also in Europe with all kinds of austeriy plans (not only in Greece by the way) give a major influence.

In january the bookings were still plenty when the Concordia was in view everywhere.

I spoke to lots of people and only a very small minority was fearing to make a cruise. Now similar effect you have if there is a major airplane disaster, but people forget it quickly.

In fact is you see the few accidents on cruise ships, it is still a super safe way to travel!

Note statistically speaking more people dying in their beds than in airliners or cruise ships accidents. You have higher risk top drive to the airport than flying to the other side of the world!

If anyone is interested, the AP is reporting the first formal hearing into the Concordia shipwreck was held yesterday in a theater in Grosseto, Italy. Like most legal proceedings in Italy, this will be a long process. The court appointed four experts to examine the ship's black boxes and report back on 21 July. Schettino did not appear yesterday. Schettino's charges according to the AP, include manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. In addition to the Captain, prosecutors must also determine whether to seek a trial against other top officers and officials of Costa Crociere SpA.

I don't know about the cruise industry ...but for me the biggest effect has been now having to consider the personality/character of the Captain.

Call me naive ,but I previously assumed a "Cowboy Captain" would never rise up a cruise line's ranks,to master a multi million dollar vessel, carrying thousands of passengers.

I also never thought ,in this modern age ,it would take three days for assistance to arrive if stranded at sea (Allegra)

It also doesn't matter that it is Costa ..or which country they are registered under...or which flag they fly. It's the Carnival Corp.who collects the revenue and that's who owns the vessels I have chosen to sail on in the past. (Holland America). I hold them responsible. Both these incidents have given me pause for thought.

I too hope changes are made and they are true changes not just token ones. Maybe it is industry wide, maybe just one,I don't know.

After reading a reviews about captain entertaining young passengers in cabin after an evening of partying I decided not to book a particular line, it was not ccl owned and pardon me if I am too picky but I like the staff sober, drug free, and clear of narcissum or psychopath behavior.

That is a fact. I am surprised no others (HAL, X) deploy a ship on that route. It would interest me for certain.

Unfortunately NCL America have a sweet exclusivity arrangement to sail within Hawaii compliments of a very friendly Senator. Even then they could not keep their 3 US flagged and manned ships, as required by US law, at a profitable occupatation rate and transferred 2 back to their international fleet. Any other line, even a US flagged one would have difficulty sailing exclusivly Hawaii cruises.

If you count the 2 other Carnival Corporation lines Costa has executive control of, Aida (German, 8+4 ships) and Ibero Cruises (Spain, 3 ships) then the total, including Costa Concordia, would be 26 plus 6 under construction or ordered.

Following the massive investment they have made in Costa I would think it would be unlikely that Carnival would wind them up but maybe the control of the 2 other lines may be changed so that Costa can concentrate on their own line?

I would go out of my way to not sail a ship that ever sailed under a Costa flag.

JMO........

Call me 'spooked' or whatever.

The bigger questions, IMO, is whether Costa survives to sail for the long term or are their days numbered?

I call you smart!

Today's Costa is, clearly, not the Costa many of us loved in years gone by.

Obviously this is your first time watching the POA pricing. She sells out early and the closer you get to a sailing the higher the price goes. The trick with NCL is to book very early and or find a TA that had set up Group pricing 2+ years out and locked in the prices. I have seen some sailings be as much as $800PP less on a balcony under group prices. This pricing has been this way with the POA for the last two or three years now. It is simply supply and demand. The demand is there, they are the only ship doing this and it still is less money than flying from island to island and staying at various resorts and paying for all of your meals in Hawaii.

Seriously, NCL is only 7 day game in town in the Hawaiian islands. They manage to sell out the ship week after week, year after year.They don't need to deep discount most cabins to get a booking a year out.

Most Costa pax are European. Most NCL pax are North American. Most Europeans prefer to sail from European ports, no different than most North Americans prefer to sail from U.S. ports. I don't think there are too many Europeans willing to spend 18-20 hours flight time to catch a cruise out of Hawaii.

Don't understand what you mean about NCL & why they have lost your business...:confused:

Just because they bumped up their prices you seem to be assuming they are taking advantage of the Costa Problems..

The price of fuel has gone up since the first of the year daily... Did it ever occur to you, that their increases might be to offset these higher fuel prices, especially on their Hawaiian cruises?

Betty

Lisa- Yes, first time watching. In a bit of shock, but I get it. Just disappointed, and probably voicing too much disappointment because I was in CC chat mode. Thanks!

Hammybee- It's my first time considering Hawaii. I wish there was more options. NCL has a gem market being the only 7 day, don't they! Since Hawaii is such a generic destination, you would think the other lines would do the same. Maybe the port facilities can't handle having more than one ship docked for two days???

Serendipity1499- Yes, I ASSUMED. Assumption is a natural tool for logical deduction. Ask any scientist, mathematician...etc will kindly explain that. It's not a bad evil thing, unless of course, you are gossiping or accusing someone of something based on an assumption. I wasn't doing that. Yes, it DID OCCUR TO ME that prices must be raised to offset the cost of higher fuel prices. That being said, the PoA isn't the only ship that uses fuel. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"~Animal House.

I suppose they think that they are going to get a flood of Carnival Corp jumpers.[/COLOR]

SERIOUSLY, shame on NCL for trying to take advantage![/quote]

Serendipity1499- Yes, I ASSUMED. Assumption is a natural tool for logical deduction. Ask any scientist, mathematician...etc will kindly explain that. It's not a bad evil thing, unless of course, you are gossiping or accusing someone of something based on an assumption. I wasn't doing that. Yes, it DID OCCUR TO ME that prices must be raised to offset the cost of higher fuel prices. That being said, the PoA isn't the only ship that uses fuel. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"~Animal House.

I'm sorry if I offended you! However your two statements IMO is accusing NCL based strictly on your assumption..

"It's had a different effect over at NCL!

I suppose they think that they are going to get a flood of Carnival Corp jumpers." & "SERIOUSLY, shame on NCL for trying to take advantage " Unquote

IMO these statements can be construed as offensive &/or libelous to NCL..Ask any Lawyer.. .I'm neither a mathematician nor a scientist but I also know that, the word assume according to the dictionary is to take for granted without proof, or to postulate, suppose, or presume..

IMO NCL's taking advantage is not a logical deduction..It is an assumption..

.All of the U.S. Airlines have recently announced that their fares are increasing due to the price of fuel & since the beginning of the year several car rental agencies have also increased their price for fuel..I would not be surprised if some of the other cruise lines increase their cabin prices shortly or even impose the old "fuel surcharge" again if fuel prices continue to increase...

Betty

I'm sorry if I offended you! However your two statements IMO is accusing NCL based strictly on your assumption..

"It's had a different effect over at NCL!

I suppose they think that they are going to get a flood of Carnival Corp jumpers." & "SERIOUSLY, shame on NCL for trying to take advantage " Unquote

IMO these statements can be construed as offensive &/or libelous to NCL..Ask any Lawyer.. .I'm neither a mathematician nor a scientist but I also know that, the word assume according to the dictionary is to take for granted without proof, or to postulate, suppose, or presume..

IMO NCL's taking advantage is not a logical deduction..It is an assumption..

.All of the U.S. Airlines have recently announced that their fares are increasing due to the price of fuel & since the beginning of the year several car rental agencies have also increased their price for fuel..I would not be surprised if some of the other cruise lines increase their cabin prices shortly or even impose the old "fuel surcharge" again if fuel prices continue to increase...

Betty

Guilty as charged...I said suppose. As you pointed out, it's somewhat a synonym for assume. I guess that means that from the beginning, I was being very open about my Oh So Bad habit of assuming.

Last time I checked, I have a right to opinion. My opinion was that logically...NCL would be anticipating Carnival Corp jumpers. And why wouldn't they be??

As far as me saying shame on them, I already stated in a later post that it was a tongue-in-cheek statement. I missed the emoticons I guess.

I so don't get it...why do people like to split hairs and bash people for their opinions??? I was just disappointed that the clock was ticking too fast on that itinerary! I find it unfortunate that the Concordia disaster is having a trickle down effect on everyone! That's the topic of this thread!

I suppose the only safe thing to do is stick to posts like how much I love the chocolate lava cake in the PG. Real conversation is just fodder for someone to purge their aggressions.

I meant no offense to anyone. Not even NCL. It was just my opinion and my disappointment.

How long does one have to be here...and how many posts does it take...to not have a big bullseye on your chest????????????

Oh forget it...I'm gone and yeah, I know no one really cares. I liked this group. I've had fun here.

• 4 weeks later...

So , Ya think they'll fix it ?

It was the Captain. that caused this tragedy..not the ship...not the crew...not the cruise line...oh wait it was the cruise line that hired the Captain....same group that hires Hal's Captains...all under Carnival's umbrella.

Sorry I don't think we should be too smug in thinking...this could never happen on a Holland America cruise ship. How did this Captain get so far up the ranks ..I will never believe his personality wasn't a concern before this incident...who was minding the store???

It was the Captain. that caused this tragedy..not the ship...not the crew...not the cruise line...oh wait it was the cruise line that hired the Captain....same group that hires Hal's Captains...all under Carnival's umbrella.

Sorry I don't think we should be too smug in thinking...this could never happen on a Holland America cruise ship. How did this Captain get so far up the ranks ..I will never believe his personality wasn't a concern before this incident...who was minding the store???

Who would have thought what happened to the Quest would happen?

Sailing is serious business. I couldn't agree more.

Archived