Carnival Conquest

Im cruising for only the 2nd time end of April for my B I G 40!! Going with a large group. Im very much looking forward to it. I see alot of iffy reviews on this particular boat, has me a bit concerned. :confused:

Does anyone that has cruised on this boat have any advice?? Any is helpful!

Things I should bring, shouldnt bring? Dining do's and dont's? Excursions you suggest? We are going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.....

Thanks for any input!! HAPPY SAILING TO ALL :D

Im cruising for only the 2nd time end of April for my B I G 40!! Going with a large group. Im very much looking forward to it. I see alot of iffy reviews on this particular boat, has me a bit concerned. :confused:

Things I should bring, shouldnt bring? Dining do's and dont's? Excursions you suggest? We are going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.....

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Iffy reviews? Hummmm... I've sailed on the Conquest seven times... gonna be eight in September. The ship is beautiful with an Impressionist Artist theme. Art is everywhere and quite tastefully incorporated into the design of the interior of the vessel.

Just to set your mind at ease, today it was announced that the Conquest had the highest customer satisfaction rating of all of Carnival's ships for the month of January...

:)

Captain Marvins to snorkel for the sting rays in the Caymans, no lunch. Nativeway is also highly rated, but higher priced, includes lunch.

Im so so about this ship having been on Conquest when Ike wiped out Galveston, so Im not one to make you feel better. I have never loved the ship after the craziness and the lack of the reps being about the handle the problem.

I prefer Triumph which is older .. but nothing wrong with the ship.

It doesnt have a serenity area like Glory for instance .. but has a lot of good eats. fish and chips upstairs when you embark to miss the lines. I like the mongolian bbq etc.

Ive done Conquest about 5 times and booked it 2 more, so I dont hate it. Mixed feelings which have more to do with the service that one time, not the ship itself which is fine.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Iffy reviews? Hummmm... I've sailed on the Conquest seven times... gonna be eight in September. The ship is beautiful with an Impressionist Artist theme. Art is everywhere and quite tastefully incorporated into the design of the interior of the vessel.

Just to set your mind at ease, today it was announced that the Conquest had the highest customer satisfaction rating of all of Carnival's ships for the month of January...

:)

Thank you that makes me feel better!!!

I would also add Conquest is the only ship out of close to 20 carnival cruises where I had a terrible cabin steward who did not do his job, no two pillows, basic stuff like that and when I asked for basic stuff gave me excuses like he was 59 years old. After 3 nights I finally went to the pursers desk to complain... never did that on any other cruise or cruiseline.

My best cabin steward and waiter coincidently were on Elation.

I think a lot of how you feel about a certain cruise or ship is based on how you were treated. which ship have you run into service issues with.

Mach says last January they scored high.. but now they send out the surveys to so few people I wouldnt put much stock in ONE month being high.

Nothing that really ruined the cruise .. just not as good as service on other Carnival ships. Believe me Im not one to complain unless things are really that bad. I am not one who wants to be waited on .. but you need two pillows and more than 2 hangers with 4 women and no excuses .. other things. didnt clean 3 days more excuses.

PS isnt it odd I never received one of these survey since they quit handing them out to everyone?? Only a select few receive them now to be voted the best for whatever month.. a much smaller survey group.

Obviously, Im cruising on Conquest again.. because its CHEAP and I CAN DRIVE TO IT. Not because I love the ship.

You can either go by what you are reading here or you can cruise with the expectation of having a great time. I really recommend the latter. Our cruise on the Conquest was great....as good as any of Carnival's other ships. I expect you will enjoy it.

We've sailed the Conquest 3 times in the last 1.5 years- both out of Galveston and New Orleans. We've always enjoyed this ship. It's so different from Ecstasy/Fantasy-- the other Carnival ships we'd sailed on. It's a beautiful ship-- even my parents who are Loyal Royals enjoyed the trip on the Conquest when they joined us!

Advice- the best place to eat is upstairs in the Fish 'n Chips place. Get your lunch from anywhere, but the top level is the quietest location with the best views and least crowding.

If you like to play cards and games, this is also the staff recommended area for such. There is a library on Conquest, but no game room.

I was on the Conquest from Feb. 12-19...Western cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

This was our second time on the Conquest, the first was our first cruise back in 2005.

The ship is incredible. Yes, it is rough around the edges with some worn carpet ect. but the fun is still there.

The ship is easy to navigate and we enjoyed all the amenities. They had Superstar Live Karaoke three nights, which was a lot of fun.

Service was great...my room steward kept the room immaculate and clean.

The dining service was amazing, fast, and everything I asked for I got. The food was delicious and the variety was great.

I found everyone I worked with, dining, guest services, the art team, Excursion desk, buffet, etc. Never had anyone who was not ready to help.

The CD is a guy named Paul...not super funny, but seemed determined to help the guests have run. He did a great job leading the team.

I have no doubt the ship needs and will benefit from the drydock in October, but a lot of fun can still be had on her.

Go expecting to have a great cruise, and you will have one.

I thought the Conquest was very nice. Like Host Mach mentioned, the art-themed decor is wonderful. We had balcony room #7364 and loved it. That floor is sandwiched between two floors of cabins only, so we did not have to worry about noise from night clubs, chairs being set up above you, etc. The room only has 1 plug-in, so come prepared with your own power strip or something similar when using multiple plug-in items. Feel free to use their complimentary robes - it's what they are there for. Wrap up in one and set out on the balcony in the wee hours of the night. Wonderful.

Let me see. Other recommendations. Do try the chilled soups at dinner. Hot chocolate machines in the Cezanne are wonderful. Became very use to them late at night when I was ready to wind down. Pizza 24-7....can't beat that. You can order a banana split from the kid's menu in the MDR. Get involved in some of the competitions for the Ship On A Stick. Bring a favorite book and find a quiet spot on the deck to read and watch the ocean go by.

As for excursion, I have enjoyed both Nachi Cocum and Playa Palancar in Cozumel. Highly recommend Shirley from Cayman Safari for a guided tour of Grand Cayman. She took us to Vivinne's for lunch. Beyond yum. And in Jamaica we had a leisurely tour of Croydon Plantation that included free samples of fruits and juices. Plus a Jamaican lunch was included.

Best thing you can do is go on the ship with the idea of just enjoying yourself and going with the flow. Don't try to do everything listed on the Fun Times, not possible. Pick things that look fun and put in plenty of relaxing time inbetween. Have a great time.

Totally enjoyed the cruise with my friends but Conquest didn't end being one of my favorites as i really thought it was going to be.

Make sure to go the past guest party. They did the best of all the ships I have been on, handing out so many drinks that we all stagged out of the room. I blame Carnival for the fun I had that night.:D

The ship was beautiful and I did not think it look worn at all.

We Will be doing our 10th cruise with Carnival on the Conquest this coming January...we have no fear at all about the Ship

We have been on Conquest, Spirit, Dream and Fantasy class ships.

This will be our 2nd time on a Conquest Class ship and we are very much looking forward to the tiered-pool area...our favorite Main Pool area so far...looking forward to the Fish and Chips restaurant

We are very much Lido Aft types and love the fact that it is not a Serenity area....this will be our 5th cruise with this Group of people and we don't do 'quiet' areas well:)

As far as service from Staff go, in most cases we have had great relationships with the Staff as we make an effort to get to know them and there are quite a few who we are still in contact with, and there are a few who just wanted a business relationship - and that's fine with us too.

We really feel our cruises ate what we make them and we make them GOOD!

I thought the Conquest was very nice. Like Host Mach mentioned, the art-themed decor is wonderful. We had balcony room #7364 and loved it. That floor is sandwiched between two floors of cabins only, so we did not have to worry about noise from night clubs, chairs being set up above you, etc. The room only has 1 plug-in, so come prepared with your own power strip or something similar when using multiple plug-in items. Feel free to use their complimentary robes - it's what they are there for. Wrap up in one and set out on the balcony in the wee hours of the night. Wonderful.

Let me see. Other recommendations. Do try the chilled soups at dinner. Hot chocolate machines in the Cezanne are wonderful. Became very use to them late at night when I was ready to wind down. Pizza 24-7....can't beat that. You can order a banana split from the kid's menu in the MDR. Get involved in some of the competitions for the Ship On A Stick. Bring a favorite book and find a quiet spot on the deck to read and watch the ocean go by.

As for excursion, I have enjoyed both Nachi Cocum and Playa Palancar in Cozumel. Highly recommend Shirley from Cayman Safari for a guided tour of Grand Cayman. She took us to Vivinne's for lunch. Beyond yum. And in Jamaica we had a leisurely tour of Croydon Plantation that included free samples of fruits and juices. Plus a Jamaican lunch was included.

Best thing you can do is go on the ship with the idea of just enjoying yourself and going with the flow. Don't try to do everything listed on the Fun Times, not possible. Pick things that look fun and put in plenty of relaxing time inbetween. Have a great time.[/quote

Thanks for the info on Conquest. We are booked for September 23, and will be in 7375, a few doors down from where you were, could you tell me what is across from the rooms, could not tell by deck plan, just looked empty. You mentioned hot chocolate from Cezanne, is it free or have to pay for it? Any other info or secrets would be appreciated. Hope i posted this right???

You will love it! My hubby and I did! You have definitely come to the right place for advice! As a first time cruiser in 2009 on the Conquest, I was so thankful for this board.

BTW...if you are looking for a fun adventure for the big 40 look into this http://www.ziplinejamaica.com/ . We enjoyed it so much that we are taking our kids on the same excursion when we sail the Magic this Sunday!!

I enjoyed the Conquest. We did her last sailing out of Galveston. Practice your French, there names like Degas (Day-ga not Day-gis), Henri (Han-rie not Hen-rie), Paris (well, thats a bad example).

1 thing no one will tell you, not because they won't, but because it isnt on their minds. If you go to Henri's dance club, the dance floor is lit up like Saturday Night Fever and you will not see the step down if you decide you are going to dance and run to it. DW had an ugly ankle from that mishap.

Grand Caymans, I like to walk around or use Native Way to go to Stingray City and Rum Point.

Cozumel, renting the Jeeps has been the best excursion so far.

Jamaica, we plan on doing the waterfall or the zipline next time. Any excursion will be better than our last trip there.

If you go all the way forward on decks with balconies on both corners there is a door and then immediately another door, which will lead you to a deck att the front of the ship - better known as the "secret doors".

Best thing you can do is go on the ship with the idea of just enjoying yourself and going with the flow. Don't try to do everything listed on the Fun Times, not possible. Pick things that look fun and put in plenty of relaxing time inbetween. Have a great time.[/quote

Thanks for the info on Conquest. We are booked for September 23, and will be in 7375, a few doors down from where you were, could you tell me what is across from the rooms, could not tell by deck plan, just looked empty. You mentioned hot chocolate from Cezanne, is it free or have to pay for it? Any other info or secrets would be appreciated. Hope i posted this right???

Uh oh, an "empty area" across from your room on the deck plan. Not good. I have always made sure we booked a stateroom that is "sandwiched" between other floors of just staterooms, so it's quiet. What I didn't think about this time was that "empty area" on the deck plan across from our rooms, #7371 and #7369. That was where the stateroom steward's station was located. A big room where they keep the vacuums, supplies, etc. They were in and out of that room until after midnight each night, and then starting back up again around 4 a.m. Banging the door shut constantly, talking among themselves (and not quietly), laughing, singing, etc. Very, very noisy. Plus there was another door beside that room where the room service crew come from to bring the room service trays to rooms.

After the first night I resorted to using ear plugs and then had no trouble sleeping. My husband didn't want to use them though, so he was awakened several times each night by the noise. :(

Never again will I book a stateroom that has a white "empty area" across the hall.

A current cruisecritic article has this listed for 2012:

Ship: Carnival Conquest

Cost of Surgery: Not revealed, but part of the $500 million Fun Ship 2.0 program

Date & Location: October 14 - 28, N/A

The Makeover: Fun Ship 2.0 sounds a bit year 2000, but we won't begrudge the name of Carnival's multi-year, 14-ship, $500 million refurb program, which covers eating, (a lot of) drinking and laughing. In late October, Carnival Conquest 2.0 will emerge with a pair of new fee-free casual dining venues, Guy's Burger Joint, a beef-and-bun venue associated with self-promotion machine Guy Fiere, and the Blue Iguana Cantina, a taco and burrito venue.

Conquest will also get four new theme bars, including one celebrating rum drinks (RedFrog Rum Bar), tequila drinks (Blue Iguana Tequila Bar), drinks made by a pharmacist/wizard (Alchemy Bar, with it's multitude of mixed cocktails) and drinks to be consumed while watching the big game (EA Sports Bar). For those wishing to flex their funny bone, Conquest will re-debut with the "Punchliners Comedy Club & Brunch Presented by George Lopez."

Also look out for: Sister ship Carnival Glory is getting a similar refurb in November, with Carnival Dream and Carnival Splendor getting pared-down versions in October and December, respectively.

I hope they still keep the Fish place lots of people seem to enjoy.

We are looking at either the Conquest or Dream for a cruise next January. Any thoughts between the two? The Dream stops and 4 ports which is great and we also think the weather might be better at Port Canaveral in January over NO. Those two things are leaning us towards the Dream. Any reasons to lean us back to the COnquest?

We are serious fans of RCI.....but....we have sailed Conquest (convenience) several times. No complaints! Enjoyed every minute.

Would definately recommend THE POINTE steakhouse. QWould urge you to consider the CHEF'S TABLE. Only thing wrong with the ship...is typical of this class of ship, to go forward or aft, you need to go upstairs, then back down stairs (or vice versa) when traversing the ship..I think it is deck 4 and 5 if memory serves me right.

This is a darn good cruise!

Important note, when you get a negative, focus on if it is a specific cabin steward or waiter, or a bartender that took too long to serve that person...Look for reviews that give an overall picture, not a personal incident that bothered them that might not bother you.

And....we will sail Conquest again!

Archived