Emerald Princess CDC score

luv2travel77

Hi all,

I sailed on the Emerald back in October 2011. About a few weeks after it was assessed and given a CDC score of only 89. After the galley tour I thought it would merit at least a 97. Of course I'm no inspector and have not looked into the fine details. :)

Princess usually boasts about how high their ships score with the CDC. Is the score of 89 considered really low? (I know 86 and above is considered a pass). What is the all-time low for a Princess ship?

Thanks for all your input.

Hi all,

I sailed on the Emerald back in October 2011. About a few weeks after it was assessed and given a CDC score of only 89. After the galley tour I thought it would merit at least a 97. Of course I'm no inspector and have not looked into the fine details. :)

Princess usually boasts about how high their ships score with the CDC. Is the score of 89 considered really low? (I know 86 and above is considered a pass). What is the all-time low for a Princess ship?

Thanks for all your input.

The CDC inspection involves more than what the average passenger sees during the tour.

During the tour, did you look inside the freezers and refrigerators? Did you check the temperature for both cold and warm storage? How about the ice machines? Air and water filtration systems? Sanitation programs?

The inspection is pretty intense and thorough rather than just a visual look around.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2011.pdf

The CDC inspection involves more than what the average passenger sees during the tour.

During the tour, did you look inside the freezers and refrigerators? Did you check the temperature for both cold and warm storage? How about the ice machines? Air and water filtration systems? Sanitation programs?

The inspection is pretty intense and thorough rather than just a visual look around.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2011.pdf

I don't think that was the answer the OP was looking for

I do know one thing, if they ever do a surprise inspection on your embarkation day they practically shut down the galley & food service to the buffet is limited to one side & it's a complete madhouse. They disrupt everything & examine every last detail. They can fail for points that may seem very minor & reduces the score very quickly.

An 89 is an incredible low score. I checked the entire list on the CDC website and they are one of the lowest of all the ships that the CDC inspects (I believe they were in the bottom 5 overall).

I brought up this concern to Princess and they provided very little response, other than that the ship is clean. I also enquired about it on the Princess facebook page, but the fanboys basically called me a troublemaker and attacked me for having the audacity to question the cleanliness of the ship.

I will admit that I'm extremely concerned given their low score and the recent Noro outbreak, but I also think it's possible that this was just the case of the ship being caught at a really bad time. I can also assume that a cruise line of Princess' calibre would take a score like this very seriously and make immediate corrections. Like the post above, my initial review of the scores seemed to show that a lot of the deductions were related to fruit flies, so I would have to think that they could correct that relatively easily.

It's also worth noting that they had scores at the highest level for the previous inspections, so I'm hoping this was a one time thing that has since been corrected.

Here is the sheet that shows all recent inspections. As you can see, the Emerald is REALLY low... http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

Read the report and see what the violations were. I suspect none of our homes are nearly as well kept. And FWIW, ALL findings must and have been rectified. True, 89 isn't 100 like they have had in the past, but it's not a dangerous situation. You're likely going to be harmed more by the stress you've put on yourself than what any of the findings might do.

And yes, oversight has it's merits. But if you've ever been subject to regulation you might understand the intensity of these inspections. But, they do have there value.

I will admit that I'm extremely concerned given their low score and the recent Noro outbreak...

That inspection occurred on day 3 of our 100 nights on the Emerald. I was actually in the Terrace Pool when it was shut down, and we were asked to get out. Aside from a small sinus infection a month later, neither DH and I were at all sick on the Emerald. The Emerald did NOT have a code red noro outbreak. There were a few isolated cases and we did go to code yellow for a few nights (no salt and pepper shakers in the buffet), but that was it. It was, by and large, a very healthy ship.

Have you read the report? 89 is still passing but the report posted on another thread was quite eye opening. I wouldn't be all too thrilled about sailing on a ship that had an 89 score. I guess it's passing but perhaps considered a "C"

I do know one thing, if they ever do a surprise inspection on your embarkation day they practically shut down the galley & food service to the buffet is limited to one side & it's a complete madhouse. They disrupt everything & examine every last detail. They can fail for points that may seem very minor & reduces the score very quickly.

I agree but when I read the report there were some things on there that made my stomach turn.

In regards to the poster who stated most were related to fruit flies in the liquor - that was just a few of the bullet points. There were infractions in food storage - temperature, pools, food exposed to potable water drippings, etc. Not good. However, I would definitely think Princess would take this score very seriously and work very hard to rectify it.

Archived