Tipping on ships based in Australia?

Here here Elaine. I have met a person now on several cruises and it is her topic through the cruise, mostly informing newies :they really dont need to tip.: When I commented that they work hard was told it is their choice and there I beg to differ they dont have any other choice.

I agree,

In most cases, it's the responsibility of the individual worker to report any monies earned as income to their respective governments as declared by law. But in many cases, when a cruise ship employee works outside of his or her own country onboard a vessel where the employment contract is six months or more in duration, any income earned by that employee is not taxable by their country of origin.

Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel are waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

Waiter from $2500 to $4000

Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000

Bar Waiter / Waitress from $1000 to $2500

Bartender from $1500 to $3000

Plus there wages of and tax free

Assistant Laundry Supervisor - Salary $1400-1600/month.

Bar Waiter Waitress - Salary $1800-3000/month.

Bartender - Salary $1800-2800/month.

Cabin Steward Stewardess - Salary $1400-2400/month.

Cleaner - Salary $900-1600/month.

Bar Manager - Salary $3000-3800/month.

Crew Purser - Salary $1400-2200/month.

Guest Entertainer - Salary $3200-7000/month.

Laundry Staff - Salary $1000-1600/month.

next time you get a massage think about this

Massage Therapist - Salary $2800-3600/month.

or your nails done

Nail Technician - Salary $2400-3000/month.

no wonder the photos are not cheap

Photographer - Salary $2000-2200/month.

so we have read all this and remember that this wage is taxe free every they buy on the ship is tax free and all there food is free and there room is free so a Cabin Steward Stewardess could earn up to $80000 per yr tax free including tips

a Bar Waiter / Waitress could earn up to $66000 per yr tax free

I have restrained myself from commenting about this subject because it's a no win subject. I agree with thied re wage rates, even though he/she lives in Qld..LoL. At the end of all this discussion you can't get away from the fact that it's up to the individual what and how and if they tip.

In the USA there is a saying that when you're with friends you never talk about politics or religion because your friends won't be your friends for very long. It looks like in OZ you could add tipping to that group. In the USA we have a minimum wage that an employer must pay their employees. In the service industry for employees who serve the customers of the business they usually make miimum or close to that. The employee needs to make up the difference between a liveable and unliveable wage with tips. If in OZ your sevice employees make a decent wage I can see why tipping isn't a common thing.

However on a cruise ship the service employees are very low payed and rely on tips to live. The cruise lines find it hard to get workers to work on ships that cruise around Australia because they know that many passengers will go to the pursers office and take the tips off their accounts. Thus the cruise lines charge more for their cruises to Australians because of their refusal to tip, so they can make up the difference to their employees.

The vast majority of us are well travelled and know the US wage terms as well as well-cruised on both local and international cruiselines. So paragraph one is a mute point.

As for paragraph two, I have just got off the Carnival Spirit, a US-based cruise. I can tell you that 99% of the crew have put in for contracts to come down here on her. I spoke to many many many of them. I asked them why, if they going to get "stiffed" on tips..............they're paid more than you realise (and probably more than what I've read on these boards over the last few years.........I'm starting to believe they are telling porkey pies to get more tips! hehe).

And the cruise lines charge us more, because our tips are included, as well as they have a captive audience in our own little colony down here.......yup and many of us are all ex-convicts too LOL :p......perhaps you should read up more before making comments about our inability to tip, which as I'm sure you have read up on............is not part of our culture or customs......not because we're a bunch of tight arses. Maybe ya shud come Downunder and find out for yourself :D

Anyway, when in Rome......yada yada yada.

In most cases, it's the responsibility of the individual worker to report any monies earned as income to their respective governments as declared by law. But in many cases, when a cruise ship employee works outside of his or her own country onboard a vessel where the employment contract is six months or more in duration, any income earned by that employee is not taxable by their country of origin.

Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel are waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

or your nails done

so we have read all this and remember that this wage is taxe free every they buy on the ship is tax free and all there food is free and there room is free so a Cabin Steward Stewardess could earn up to $80000 per yr tax free including tips

Source?

or your nails done

i'd like to know where you got those figures from because who is going to tell how much they earn per month....its private and confidential information......we have heard from different bar staff that they earn $50 per month plus tips....is it true well i dont know

i'd like to know where you got those figures from because who is going to tell how much they earn per month....its private and confidential information......we have heard from different bar staff that they earn $50 per month plus tips....is it true well i dont know

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/

http://www.cruiseshipjob.net/joblistings/

Tipping personnel

These figures include the tips.....................that you don't pay or others take off (yes, including Americans.....I know that for a fact!!!). So if you don't pay..............they don't get paid this!

Seriously I wish you would read the fine print which is written in large letters!!

Tipping personnel

These figures include the tips.....................that you don't pay or others take off (yes, including Americans.....I know that for a fact!!!). So if you don't pay..............they don't get paid this!

Seriously I wish you would read the fine print which is written in large letters!!

and if you add there wags ans tips together its a dam great wage more then then a ave worker in oz and in US dollors and TAX FREE Edited by thied

Cruise Lines Now Hiring

Great Salaries- Average $2000- $6500 per month Tax FREE!

Short or long-term contracts- 3,4 or 6 months.

Free Accommodations and Meals- Save the money you earn.

Money Back Guarantee- We guarantee direct online access to apply to over 120 cruise lines.

Instant Access- Jump start your job search by distributing your Resume online.

Unlock the Hidden Job Market- Most cruise line jobs are not advertised, so distribute your Resume to cruise lines that are currently hiring.

What is the income level?

You can often make $2,000-6,000 (U.S. funds) or more per month. This depends on the cruise line that hires you, the position you're applying for and your previous work experience.

Is Cruise Line Employment right for you?

Working onboard a cruise ship does require hard work and discipline. It is common for employees to work 6 days a week and sometimes 10 hour days. You usually share your accommodations (cabin and bathroom) with other crew members and are required to maintain a certain level of behaviour in public places. Contracts are between 4 to 6 months in length and if you're a good employee there is usually an offer to renew.

However, if you're not afraid of a little hard work and getting to know people, working onboard a cruise ship can be an experience of a lifetime and in some cases life changing. The benefits of working onboard a cruise ship are endless. Which is why it is the most sought after employment in the tourism industry.

Although you will be working hard, you will have many opportunities to visit various countries and experience the life of other cultures. In addition to exploring eye capturing destinations and taking in the sights and sounds, you will have the chance to earn an attractive salary. And what's more is you'll be able to save money! Since your accommodations and food are always paid, the only money you will need to spend will be for your personal use.

How will I get to the ship?

Cruise lines will provide transportation from ship.

Do I have to pay for my living expenses?

Room and board are provided for free by the cruise line. Most employees shared a room with another crew member.

Edited by thied

You don't get it do you??? :confused: That figure is their wages and tips combined.....obviously the vast majority is the tips!

what they can earn from tips

or your nails done

Edited by thied

but we are not on a US forum we are on an Australia and NZ forum, and talking about Australian based cruise ships.

Yes - I am talking about cruising in Australia and about discussions between Australians.

If you read my whole post and the post that I quoted, you would realise I was responding to someone from California (USA) who said "never talk about politics or religion because your friends won't be your friends for very long. It looks like in OZ you could add tipping to that group."

I think that poster misunderstood the Aussie position on tipping and felt we would argue about it. I don't find that to be the case with everyone I meet and with nearly all the people on this forum. :D

As for paragraph two, I have just got off the Carnival Spirit, a US-based cruise. I can tell you that 99% of the crew have put in for contracts to come down here on her. I spoke to many many many of them. I asked them why, if they going to get "stiffed" on tips..............they're paid more than you realise (and probably more than what I've read on these boards over the last few years.........I'm starting to believe they are telling porkey pies to get more tips! hehe).

I have had this opinion for a few years now.

Job Number 2435 Start Date 05 Mar 2012 Wage $2000-$2500 USD monthly Hours Per Week Live in Employment Period 4 Months Positions Available 5 Includes Acommodation Yes Meals Provided Yes Eligible for 2nd year Visa Not Eligible Needs Own Transport No Required Experience/Training Previous cruise ship experience

Job Description

We are currently recruiting experienced 2nd Assistant Housekeepers for a family cruise line.

To be successful in this role, you should have the following:

Essential

- Previous shipboard experience in similar position

- English as your primary language

- Excellent verbal communication skills

- Immaculate presentation

- Ability to work independently as well as in a team

- High energy with the ability to adapt to diverse environments

- Interested in experiencing new cultures

- Passion for travel.

You must be available to work a 4 month contract with 2 months break.

Salary is approximately $2,000-$2,500 US per month with all expenses paid for including food and accommodation. There is a great opportunity for career advancement within this position.

You must be eligible for a C1-D visa. Your airfares will be paid by the cruise line.

Responsible for promoting and maximizing beverage sales in the assigned workplace, while following & ensuring that all company beverage service standards are being adhered to.

Follows company guidelines regarding uniform, personal grooming & hygiene.

Ensures that company policy in regards to drinking age is followed, & practices responsible service of alcoholic beverages.

Helps maintain the bar & pantry areas at all times in accordance with USPH / FDA and SEMS rules and regulations, including following guidelines relating to the correct use & maintenance of all bar equipment.

Ensures the assigned workstation is properly set & prepared to meet the daily business demands.

Provides prompt, attentive, consistent & courteous service to every guest in the assigned workstation, & through this helps to achieve the cruise duration goal for the bar scores in the guest comment cards.

Strives to always up-sell to better quality premium & super-premium products, & is able to recommend & suggest beverages when guests ask for assistance in selecting them.

Effectively communicates any problem, challenges, complaints or service difficulties in a timely manner to the Bartender on duty or immediate supervisor.

Maintains an attentive & proactive approach offering consecutive rounds of drinks, asserting satisfaction with the product served.

Responsible for the correct registering & proper handling of all individual checks & sales transactions generated in the assigned workstation.

Performs other duties assigned by the Bartender / Supervisor on duty.

You will be required to carry out 2 x lifeboat drills per week and undergo a 1 week training course on fire-fighting and first aid during your first 2 weeks on the ship.

Salary is paid fortnightly and is $800 (USD) basic plus tips.

Salary is tax free.

Flights,accomodation, medical insurance and board (shared) provided.

Edited by thied

OK, let's change the direction of this a fraction (cos quite honestly cutting and pasting crap off any job seeking board is pointless), if the wages are so fantastic, how come there aren't more Aussies, Canadians, Americans and other countries not from the third world working in those jobs.....tax or no tax......huh?

OK, let's change the direction of this a fraction (cos quite honestly cutting and pasting crap off any job seeking board is pointless), if the wages are so fantastic, how come there aren't more Aussies, Canadians, Americans and other countries not from the third world working in those jobs.....tax or no tax......huh?
the crap you have so called said are job adds on Australia cruise ships.

where is your proof of the bad wages?

Edited by thied

Deb, I don't think many Aussies would work for $400 per week plus tips if they had to pay income tax out of it. :):) I have come across some Europeans (not Eastern Europeans) and South Africans working on Princess. I am not referring to Cruise Staff.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Cause they're not so fantastic. Australians for example will get a lot more pay for a lot less work locally, all with the comfort of being amongst their friends and family and having leisure time to do what they want with, in equivalent jobs such as being a waiter or retail staff.

Edited by The_Big_M

Just like to point out that technically Aussies should pay tax on their shipboard income. Australian tax law says that I'd you don't have a permanent place of abode in any other country then you are liable for tax in Australia. I know that this doesn't necessarily happen as I also have numerous friends working on ships.

Just like to point out that technically Aussies should pay tax on their shipboard income. Australian tax law says that I'd you don't have a permanent place of abode in any other country then you are liable for tax in Australia. I know that this doesn't necessarily happen as I also have numerous friends working on ships.

People shouldn't assume that Aussies don't work on cruiseships just because we don't see them on our local ships. :)

Would you mind telling us what jobs your friends do and in what part of the world they work? :)