Tipping on ships based in Australia?

hello everyone newbie cruiser here, we are going on solstice in 2014 and ARE leaving the auto tips in place, however if we get a fabulous cabin steward, waiter, barman etc at the end of the cruise can we give them extra and if we did are they liable to give that extra to the head of department or can they keep it all. FYI aussie here !!!:);)

If you leave the autotips in place then anything extra you give to staff is theirs to keep.

Sue

I started reading this last night. Having never cruised but my mum who is a big cruiser has said lots about tipping.

Having never worked on a cruise liner I have no idea on conditions or wages only of what people claim.

I worked out for our up coming 7 night cruise with a family of 8, but only 3 of us over the age of 13 for tipping requirements on auto tipping lol is $180.00. ($7.50 x 3ppl x 8 days if that is correct) If I had to pay that for all of us I would either drop the price or only do it for my husband and myself. ($7.70 x 8ppl x 8 days $450.00) now that's a lot of shopping money lol.

That lesser amount is certainly affordable even for my husband and I and our 6 kids. And we are only average Aussie earners with a mortgage. I'd be inclined to also tip those I feel have made my families trip that extra special.

Regardless of cruise liner workes wages, home conditions, work conditions, no one should feel pressured or bullied into tipping. Everyone has their own personal reason why they do or don't tip, and should not be frowned upon either

way.

Thank you everyone for you comments was a good interesting read :)

OnP&O I always tip my chief waiter $50 on the first night, service improves. Assistant waiter $20. Cabinsteward I am non committal here, try $10 day one and tip at the end if impressed. Drinks...try adding $5 tip to an order in a bar that you intend to frequent, intersperse tips of $1 and $2 thereafter, service increases, generosity of drink quantity improves and often drink prices drop. On my last cruise drink tips totaled only USD66, but singles became triples, drink prices dropped and standard spirits were substituted with top shelf.

on Australian based cruise ships it is not a tipping thing and is well known, true.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,

on Australian based cruise ships it is not a tipping thing and is well known, true.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR72QwRvzka2hJKwHMpyR5RzVoqHFVxzBdWSKuKRtBJ6H3zyOtESg

We tip at the end of a cruise only and we have always had great service - no complaints whatever. We just treat the staff the way we would like to be treated and they've always been friendly and helpful.

BTW this comment is not meant to be as 'stuffy' as it sounds.:D:D:D It's just the way we have found it.

By Australian based, I assume Theid is referring to those using AUD as onboard currency? P&O Australia, some Princess ships and Carnival Spirit. RCI, Celebrity, P&O, NCL, HAL, etc whilst having a season in Australia are not Australian based and utilize USD or GNP as onboard currency. Whilst I admit that tipping is a rare event for me in Oz, when overseas or onboard ships where tipping is the convention, I tip (when in Rome).

I love rewarding those on low wages who give great service, it makes ME feel happy (and is very beneficial to me when tipping bar staff). Respect conventions and follow your own heart.

Hi John, here we go again ! If you drop your auto tips other service staff in the tipping pool, the dishwashers, the laundrymen, the cooks, will miss out. Most cruise lines direct staff, i.e. your cabin steward/table waiter to turn in all tips given by the pax if you take off your auto tips. Believe me the staff are told who removes auto tips or drops them below the suggested daily amount. So a fair chance the tips you hand to your cabin steward, table waiter, will not be kept by the recipient.

Pre-paid gratuities do not even go near dishwashers, cooks, etc as they are not regarded as "service staff" they have a set wage. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity openly print how they distribute gratuities and it is between room steward, waiter, asst waiter and head waiter, no one else on the ship get a cut in any form of gratuity unless you give it to them directly (which would be hard since you don't have contact with them anyway).

Also, after questioning a couple of staff members on previous Radiance cruise, every cent of gratuity that is given to them whether it is in monetary form or through the ship/ signed at a bar goes straight to them and no one else. The ship pays them directly the tips given to them (although there is a two week wait apparently).

Just wanted to clear that up :)

Also before everyone flames people for taking auto-tips off, don't you feel more rewarding and that it is more appreciated when you tip staff directly... I know that I do. On Radiance the others at our table felt terribly awkward when we were giving over a generous tip when they have pre-paid. They also said they felt ripped off because they dined at specialty restaurants most nights which meant they were tipping waiters that did not even serve them and double tipping for the ones at the specialty restaurants.

If you actually do the math on gratuities per day ( e.g. $5pp per day for cabin steward between 15-20 rooms a day)... working on a cruise ship as a service staff is decent money, you just have to give up a lot to take it on and it is undoubtedly VERY hard work that requires long hours and a non stop smile.

Also before everyone flames people for taking auto-tips off, don't you feel more rewarding and that it is more appreciated when you tip staff directly... I know that I do. On Radiance the others at our table felt terribly awkward when we were giving over a generous tip when they have pre-paid.

OMG sounds like a competition :eek:. Do they open the envelopes that you put your tips in, in front of you and the fellow guests at your dining table. This sounds horrible.

Not to mention unfair to those "behind the scenes" the dishwashers, laundry staff etc. "wage subsidy" which is what the hotel charge is really about the money should be for them too.. I appreciate those clean sheets and towels and am damn glad I am not in the kitchen washing thousands of dirty dishes and pots. If you think the wait staff or steward did an absolutely superlative job by all means give them extra...but don't forget the others. Not flaming anyone...just my opinion.

Sue

Not to mention unfair to those "behind the scenes" the dishwashers, laundry staff etc. "wage subsidy" which is what the hotel charge is really about the money should be for them too.. I appreciate those clean sheets and towels and am damn glad I am not in the kitchen washing thousands of dirty dishes and pots. If you think the wait staff or steward did an absolutely superlative job by all means give them extra...but don't forget the others. Not flaming anyone...just my opinion.

Sue

On Princess the auto tips go down to the dishwashers and the laundry people, as well as your own stewards. In my earlier posts on tipping, I refer to Princess as 95% of my cruising career has been done with them.

On Princess the auto tips go down to the dishwashers and the laundry people, as well as your own stewards. In my earlier posts on tipping, I refer to Princess as 95% of my cruising career has been done with them.

Yes that is why I am an advocate for leaving the hotel charge on...so that it is fair. Cruise lines positioned permanently in Australia have rolled the hotel charge into the fare so you pay it one way or another.

Sue

My problem with this damn "tipping" is that every cruiseline does it differently.

On our upcoming RCL cruise, there are no compulsory automatic gratuity deductions ( for us at least on fixed dining) so I will be quite happy to tip waiters/cabin steward the RCL recommended amount . Who knows - I may even give more.

On our last 2 cruises with Cunard, they have a "non-compulsory" but automatic gratuity deduction . On QV I left the gratuity on - but then on the final night felt somewhat "obliged" to give extra at the table. So on the next cruise on QE, I took it off - and gave the recommended amount plus some (as I was pleased with service) .

I really don't like automatic gratuity deductions -- I don't know and don't care how the cruiseline remunerates it's staff - the deckhands, cooks, bottle washers - I do know that after 13 cruises I have noticed that the staff seem mostly to be very happy (apart from the odd day-to-day hickup which comes with all jobs). I have spoken to many and they all say they same thing, that there are downsides to working on a ship (family, etc) , but the upside is the money they earn compared to what they would earn in their own countries.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

On our last cruise (got back couple weeks ago) I got quite friendly with a staff member and she was telling me what wages they all got and i was very surprised as it was a lot more than I had thought. Then of cause tips are extra. So as Baz said, it is sad that they are away from and miss their families etc but at the end of the day it is their choice and they are heaps better off than if they had jobs at home. :-).

I've cruised Princess, US and Australia ships, what makes you think laundry staff etc receive tips? Anything I've seen by Princess on the matter breaks it down to waiters and stewards only.

I think that you will find that ALL staff onboard these cruiseships (except those who have face to face contact with passengers) are on a fixed contract wage . This would include the deckhands, the entertainment staff as well as kitchen staff,etc.

There is no need to worry about the laundry workers remuneration - or the tender boat Coxswain's.

In fact-- the MDR waiters "tip" certain people in the galley (money comes out of the waiter's received tips) eg the man who makes up the cheese platters - so that they ( the waiters) get good service from him.. It's a funny world.

Barry

In fact-- the MDR waiters "tip" certain people in the galley (money comes out of the waiter's received tips) eg the man who makes up the cheese platters - so that they ( the waiters) get good service from him.. It's a funny world.

Barry

You're not wrong, Barry. This tipping business sure is "foreign" to us Aussies but when in Rome...

We always pre-pay our gratuities. Then we don't need to worry about it. If we get exceptional service we give them something extra. I also have some US $1 notes that I use to tip room service & if someone brings a drink to me (like in the theatre) but not if I get a drink from the bar.

See you on Sunday with a couple of thousand others!:D:cool:

I wish ALL cruise lines would put the auto tips on all ticket prices and make it 'non negotiable.'

The number of tipping topics I have seen on CC over the years has been umungous, to say the least.

You're not wrong, Barry. This tipping business sure is "foreign" to us Aussies but when in Rome...

We always pre-pay our gratuities. Then we don't need to worry about it. If we get exceptional service we give them something extra. I also have some US $1 notes that I use to tip room service & if someone brings a drink to me (like in the theatre) but not if I get a drink from the bar.

See you on Sunday with a couple of thousand others!:D:cool:

Many do it including me but when you pay auto tips it "is" for exceptional service not mediocre service,and then we go ahead and tip some more for what we have already tipped them for :confused::confused:

I like auto tips but it should be for everyone, If you want to remove them then you should front up at guest services and explain why you are removing them,then all guests would not feel the need or have the need to tip extra! It would also address any cruise problems through the company and not on forums.

If there were no auto tips then a tip would be a tip and that is it! no business of mine how much one gets over another or who pays more than another!

Tips make up the majority of service staff wages on US cruises so we will tell you how much to pay in tips,charge you up front and then you can tip some more:rolleyes:

For the first time I am not doing auto tips on my next cruise, it is an american based cruise line and I will tip in cash as that is the American tradition (When in Rome if you like) but I just cant see it fully equalling what rci have suggested because I am not at most inclined to just give money away!

Sue

Cruise auto tips or gratuities are not a "Hotel Charge"? a hotel charge is non negotiable and compulsory and already charged for in the cruise base price!

A tip is a tip and a Gratuity is:

gra·tu·i·ty

/grəˈt(y)o͞oitē/

Noun

Money given in return for some service or favor, in particular.

A tip given to a waiter, taxicab driver, etc.

Not trying to be smart but a hotel charge should not be confused with a tip or gratuity and just pointing this out.

Edited by fishtaco

I have to disagree. On Princess ships (I am on the Grand at the moment), only the room stewards, waiters and bar stewards are part of the tipping pool.

There was another post that mentioned that "gratuity" should not be confused with "hotel charge'. I do not know if this was a tongue in cheek comment, but from what I have seen on several cruiselines, the gratuity is described (disguised?) as an hotel charge. Maybe this is to give the impression that it is obligatory.

• 4 years later...
Here here Elaine. I have met a person now on several cruises and it is her topic through the cruise, mostly informing newies :they really dont need to tip.: When I commented that they work hard was told it is their choice and there I beg to differ they dont have any other choice.

Hear hear.

In Australia we don't usually tip because everyone is paid well for what they do. Unless we want to reward exceptional service or to big-note ourselves.

In Australian-based ships we don't usually tip for the very same reasons. Unless we want to reward exceptional service or to big-note ourselves.

It is the business of absolutely no one else what we do in Australia; it is particularly not the business of Yanks or other outspoken aliens.

People in Australia get paid well, unlike in America, where I tip the poorly-paid people who abound in that miserable country because they ARE poorly-paid owing to their miserable basic wage; we know how poorly they're paid.

Pomgo, I wasn't endorsing your opinion, far from it; simply turning your "here here" into "hear hear".

This is Australia where we tip only to reward exceptional service; if you don't like it, it's a bit of a shame, but there you go.

Unless you're a big-noter of course.

People can do what they like in regards to tipping but they shouldn't impose their practices on others. If someone asks let them know what you may do but also say that it is an individual choice, at least it is on cruise ships sailing elsewhere in the world anyway.

People can do what they like in regards to tipping but they shouldn't impose their practices on others. If someone asks let them know what you may do but also say that it is an individual choice, at least it is on cruise ships sailing elsewhere in the world anyway.

True,True, and actually whose trying to convince who here.

In a nutshell, those who are paryting down the other-sides way.

Go away, go very, very, very far away.

We do it our way, the AUSSIE way.

JOB DONE>