Club HAL- how many kids in Alaska?

am2

Taking our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam to Alaska this June/July. I know it varies cruise to cruise, but can anyone tell me about how many kids are likely to use Club HAL on this cruise? 20, 50, 100, more? Our kids (DS10 and DD8) and are so excited about Club HAL, but when we sailed on Disney a few years ago they were completely overwhelmed by the number of kids in the kids' club.

Taking our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam to Alaska this June/July. I know it varies cruise to cruise, but can anyone tell me about how many kids are likely to use Club HAL on this cruise? 20, 50, 100, more? Our kids (DS10 and DD8) and are so excited about Club HAL, but when we sailed on Disney a few years ago they were completely overwhelmed by the number of kids in the kids' club.

If you are in the June/July time frame you should see well over 100 kids on the boat and maybe closer to the 200 range. We were on the Westerdam mid-June last year for an Alaskan cruise and there were at least 150 signed up through club HAL. We have two kids ages 9 and 5 last year and they loved club-HAL. There will not be nearly as many kids as you will find on a Disney cruise and the entertainment is not geared towards kids, but they will enjoy the programs that the club HAL employees put on.

There were only 41 in the 12 and under range when we took the Volendam to Alaska the last week of August last year. Our kids were still off school but I understand many US school had started back. My son (7) was one of only 10 in the younger program so they were permitted to join the 8 - 12 year olds a lot of the time to play the video games. Both kids raved about Club Hal and wanted to be there for the full time it was open every day.

Enjoy your cruise!

There were only 41 in the 12 and under range when we took the Volendam to Alaska the last week of August last year. Our kids were still off school but I understand many US school had started back. My son (7) was one of only 10 in the younger program so they were permitted to join the 8 - 12 year olds a lot of the time to play the video games. Both kids raved about Club Hal and wanted to be there for the full time it was open every day.

Enjoy your cruise!

In my part of the country--greater Chicagoland area--most schools are back in by mid-August. One exception is Wisconsin where no elementary or high school can hold class until after Labor Day. (First Monday in September.)

When my DD was 9 we also sailed to Alaska in July. She really disliked ClubHAL. On our trip back to Alaska in May she has made it known (now 11) that she does not want anything to do with ClubHAL. Lucky enough she will have a dozen or three dozen books with her to keep busy and enjoy swimming.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We're going the end of June through the beginning of July, so school will be out everywhere. Wow, 100-200 kids seems like a lot, but that's true that not all of them will use Club HAL. My parents are going with us also, so much of the time we'll want to be together as a family, and we have excursions planned at every port. So I don't expect the kids will use it a whole lot, but since they are excited about it I want to let them try it.

I emailed HAL prior to our cruise with an inquiry and they provided me with the number of passengers booked in that age range. And as others have pointed out, just because they are on the ship does not mean they will be participating in the club.

Do they put out a schedule for Club Hal outlining what is available and when? Does anyone have a copy they could post so that I can get an idea of the types of offerings for the 8-12 year olds? Thanks!

I'd be interested in this too. I wasn't planning on sending my kids there based on kind of depressing babysitting on DCL 6 to 8 years ago, but now it is sounding so fun I guess I should give them the option.

Our DS10 absolutely loved Club HAL when we went to Alaska last August. There were technically 40 kids signed up in the 8-12 age group but probably 15-20 were there regularly. He found some great friends that were the same age as him and had to be torn away from it every day.

The activities were lead by 3 or 4 leaders who are frequently teachers who have recently graduated or are rec & leisure grads. The kids did scavenger hunts, made some crafts, had a cooking session, did a talent show, had video games. Each day was a different theme such as spies, pirates, etc. Families get mail each afternoon outlining the events of the following day so you can plan accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Do they put out a schedule for Club Hal outlining what is available and when? Does anyone have a copy they could post so that I can get an idea of the types of offerings for the 8-12 year olds? Thanks!

I didn't bring any home but my 10 year old is right here and telling me (with excitement) what they did. Both my kids just loved Club Hal and made lasting friendships. Here is her list:

- crafts, quizzes, trivia, Olympics, board games, scavenger hunt around the ship, Wii, Making breakfast in the culinary arts centre, cheerleading for the Polar Bear Dip, National Ranger Service educational program in Glacier Bay.....

I am looking into another cruise and both kids ask about Club Hal!

In my part of the country--greater Chicagoland area--most schools are back in by mid-August. One exception is Wisconsin where no elementary or high school can hold class until after Labor Day. (First Monday in September.)

Thanks. I guess we line up with Wisconsin then because in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec it is very rare for kids to go back before Labour Day. I can only remember it happening once.

Speaking as a parent...it is a long time between the end of June and Labour Day! Nine weeks this year.....

I didn't bring any home but my 10 year old is right here and telling me (with excitement) what they did. Both my kids just loved Club Hal and made lasting friendships. Here is her list:

- crafts, quizzes, trivia, Olympics, board games, scavenger hunt around the ship, Wii, Making breakfast in the culinary arts centre, cheerleading for the Polar Bear Dip, National Ranger Service educational program in Glacier Bay.....

I am looking into another cruise and both kids ask about Club Hal!

Thanks to you and your kids for the list, I think he is going to love it as I hear that they tailor the educational program based on the route :)

We will be sailing around Europe and I don't expect many kids on board because school is still in session....

We took the Alaska Inside Passage cruise and were on it for the 4th of July....my kids were in the younger group....8 and under or whatever that break is and there were only about 8 kids. There were more older kids on this sailing...but in the young kids group, very few.

Interesting. Mine are 8 and 10 so they'll be in the older group. I'm glad that at least they'll be together (because as much as they fight, they will like the comfort of knowing someone).

Thanks. I guess we line up with Wisconsin then because in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec it is very rare for kids to go back before Labour Day. I can only remember it happening once.

Speaking as a parent...it is a long time between the end of June and Labour Day! Nine weeks this year.....

Our school in Indiana is starting a "balanced calendar" this year... off all of June and July but back to school Aug. 1 with 2 week breaks in October, December, and March/April. Very excited as it will allow for more travel during better weather months!

Archived