Saxman Native Village or Totem Bight

coltsgal1

Which is better or what is the difference between Saxman Native Village and Totem Bight State Park? Any recommendations as to which is better probably as a combo tour with Lumberjack Show.

We did Saxman Village on our first cruise, and we're planning on Totem Bight on our next.

Totem Bight is a National Park setting with a trail on which are different types of totem. You walk around and read about the different totem and experience the nature around them.

Saxman Village is a village, where there are several different totem (more contemporary), a workshop (where they may or may not be working) and a store.

Combining it with the Lumberjack Show, or not, would just depend on what you want to include in your tour.

:)

Which is better or what is the difference between Saxman Native Village and Totem Bight State Park? Any recommendations as to which is better probably as a combo tour with Lumberjack Show.

You will see totem poles and clan house at both locations. Saxman is closer to cruise ship dock and it does seem more crowded for that reason. They do have a carver here.

Totem Bight is about 9 miles north of town so a longer ride on the bus, but I like it better. There is a short path through the forest to the park and it is on a nice ocean setting.

I'm sure you will enjoy either choice.

I was at both last time. Totem Bight got more info plaques to read. Saxman has more diverse stuff to look at. For some reason I saw more ppl at Totem Bight then Saxman. I had a good guide at Saxman explaining things to me and my family :)

Having been to both I think I would agree with those who give Totem Bight the edge. It has such a beautiful setting along the beach and is more open and definitely less crowded. I found it very peaceful.

We did Saxman Village on our first cruise, and we're planning on Totem Bight on our next.

Totem Bight is a National Park setting with a trail on which are different types of totem. You walk around and read about the different totem and experience the nature around them.

Saxman Village is a village, where there are several different totem (more contemporary), a workshop (where they may or may not be working) and a store.

Combining it with the Lumberjack Show, or not, would just depend on what you want to include in your tour.

:)

Totem Bight is not a National Park.

Both are very worthwhile, but will depend on your timing. Saxman is best with a guided tour, since it is a lot about the "stories". It also could be a better fit with the scheduled Lumberjack tour.

Totem Bight, needs to allow 3 hours, if using the city bus. IF timing is perfect which I don't suggest anything tight in general,, 2 hours is possible.

I ditto that both are good, but would first recommend Totem Bight. I also love that Totem Bight has a nice rainforest walk to get to the majority of Totem Poles, the gorgeous ocean view when on the path (you can even see the mainland on clear days!), and that they both have a Clan House. Print the Totem Bight Totem Pole Map & Descriptions to take with you or pick up a printed flyer when you arrive. This gives the details on all of the Totem Poles.

And also, if you go to Totem Bight State Park, check out Potlatch Park, literally located right beside Totem Bight. Inside there you can find totems, clan house, antique car museum, antique firearm museum, and a great gift shop. Oh, and also a carving studio with a carver inside you can talk to (most of the time!) who describes the carving, the tools used, etc.

Saxman Native Village, as BudgetQueen explained, is best visited with a guided tour. If you don't wish to do that - download & print the Saxman Totem Pole Map & Descriptions so that you know what you're looking at when you get there! Also know that 'normally' the Clan House is not available for DIY visitors as there can be a performance going on inside and the carvers are inside the carving shed, behind clear plexiglass windows.

Either of them are fascinating & has incredible totem poles! Good luck & enjoy...

Archived