Preferred methhod of carrying wine/champgne onboard...

Sweetdreams

I know that most suggest putting bottles in carryon but is there some type of carry box or wine carrier available for carrying about 4-6 bottles? Prefer not to pack with clothing due to possible risk of ruined clothing. Have an insulated wine tote (picnic size) that holds one lg. bottle nicely & maybe 6 splits. Just curious if you all have better suggestions. Thanks!

BTW we will be purchasing our wine in PA where there are state controlled stores & often not same selections as other states.

There are wine shipping boxes that have styrofoam inserts to protect the bottles. I'm using two 3-bottle boxes to bring along some beverages when we go on our cruise tomorrow. I got ours at a "Beverages and More" retail store.

A google search will come up with some similar products. The ones at mrboxonline.com seem to be the closest to what BevMo sells. If the state store doesn't have em, perhaps you can order some online.

BTW we will be purchasing our wine in PA where there are state controlled stores & often not same selections as other states.

Why would you want to do that? Just have your taxi stop on Ralph's or Trader Joe's on the way to the ship, get your btls and a box to hold them. No Extra Charge, and the selection's got to be better (and less expensive) than the state store. :eek:

Why would you want to do that? Just have your taxi stop on Ralph's or Trader Joe's on the way to the ship, get your btls and a box to hold them. No Extra Charge, and the selection's got to be better (and less expensive) than the state store. :eek:

You can't swing by Trader Joe's in Massachusetts on your way to Maasdam (Canada/New England cruises). Trader Joes cannot sell liquor in this state. :(

What is Ralph's? I haven't heard of them. Liquor store?

You can't swing by Trader Joe's in Massachusetts on your way to Maasdam (Canada/New England cruises). Trader Joes cannot sell liquor in this state. :(

What is Ralph's? I haven't heard of them. Liquor store?

Pass the Ginko. For some reason I was thinking San Diego, not Norfolk! :o

Sweetdreams: Forget what I said. The closest Trader Joe's to Norfolk would be in Springfield, about a 3 hour drive! Still, you'll probably get a better selection and better prices at a Safeway in Norfolk than at a state store in PA. And at Safeway (at least the one's here in California) they'll throw in a 6-pak wine bottle carrier...

You should actually be able to get a box with fitted styrofoam inserts from your wine seller for free, as they use them to move wine between stores; I have done this many times for travel (with an insert that holds six bottles in a case-sized box) and the thing is indestructible.

-Operator

We actually have our wines already from several wineries we visited (these particular wines are not available elsewhere). Champagne is all we need to decide on. Thanks for all the suggestions anyway. I will stop in our "PA State store" and ask about boxes with foam inserts-so thanks for this tip.

Dakrewser-Oooh! wish you had not mentioned Trader Joes-I love that store-was in for the first time on this past holiday season visiting family in NM. It is such a great store-they almost had to drag me out. I do believe I would op out of a shore excursion to go to a Trader Joes!

We have found a novel way to protect wine bottles from breakage in our carryon. My wife has knee problems and frequently uses a brace and has several extra cloth braces which are secured with velcro. These extra braces are just the right size to wrap a single wine bottle and protect it from harm!

You may carry on wine and champagne. (And sodas and water.)

You may not carry on beer or hard liquor. If you do it will be confiscated and held by the ship until the last night of the cruise.

Some pax do put beer and/or hard liquor in their checked bags, believing that the ship's officers would not know it was there or if they saw it by x-ray would not open the suitcase and confiscate.

I save the duty free boxes from previous trips and then use them as a carry on or just let porter at the embarkation deliver it to my room. Then I get new ones when I shop on the trip.:cool:

My DH saves everything and I mean everything. The last time we were in Bermuda we bought a 6 package carry-on of cordials....and guess who saved the box??? Yep, the wine and champagne are now packed!!! Good idea, only now it reinforces that DH will continue to "save everything".

Peaches, have you ever had any cruise line actually open your bag and take out liquor and hold it? This is the game they play and expect everyone to cower at the idea that they will. If they ever removed anything from my bags that would be the last time I cruised w/them, would not allow for any purchases while on the ship, stiff the cabin steward and the waiters and be a real pain in the ass to anyone associated w/ the ship.

I have never heard of anyone having this done to their luggage and it's just another URBAN LEGeND that the cruise lines like to perpetuate to increase their revenue.:p

Peaches, have you ever had any cruise line actually open your bag and take out liquor and hold it? This is the game they play and expect everyone to cower at the idea that they will. If they ever removed anything from my bags that would be the last time I cruised w/them, would not allow for any purchases while on the ship, stiff the cabin steward and the waiters and be a real pain in the ass to anyone associated w/ the ship.

And would you hold your breathe until you turned blue, also?

I do not have first hand knowledge of this but I have read where a couple of cruise lines will hold your luggage if they think you have booze. The luggage does not get delivered to your cabin. You are notified to come to a certain area and you are asked to open your luggage. If you have a bottle they take it and hold it until the end of the cruise.

We took a case of Natural Light and a case of Corona on the Caribbean Princess last summer with no problems. My brother-law took 2 cases on the Glory last Novemeber with out anyone saying anything.

My first cruise, we brought several "mini's" of gin. THat was with Royal C. We had no probs, as one was in each shoe or pocket or makeup bag. So ya we smuggled ;).

My second cruise we didnt smuggle, and my bar tab wasnt crazy anyway.

Royal C had a NO alcohol policy. I am new to HAL... can you definately bring wine onboard? I wouldnt mind bringing a bottle or two.

Archived