Tuscany tour from Livorno

Slumdog Millionaire

Any suggestions for a half day tour to the countryside? We want a mellow day before 2 days in Rome.

We had a private company organised from our crusie ship that took us to Piza then to a vineyard/olive grove outside of Lucca. That was wonderful. We then got taken to Lucca where we hired bikes and rode around the town wall then had a lovely lunch in the town.

I would recommend this as a relaxing day or what ever you can do in half a day.

Any suggestions for a half day tour to the countryside? We want a mellow day before 2 days in Rome.

Almost all tours into Tuscany will be mellow. What I mean is that it is a 1 1/2 drive to Florence or San Gimignano or other places.

I suggest that you select a place such as Greve in Chianti, have the tour operator pick you up a bit later (9 or 10), drive to Greve, have a look around a wonderful small town, have a leisurely lunch and then a tour of a winery, then back to the ship.

http://www.tuscanytastetour.com/products/chianti-area.htm and http://www.romeinlimo.com both provide full and half day tours.

A full day tour does not have to be intense. You contact the tour company and you and them come up with an itinerary that suits your needs and wishes. We chose RomeInLimo last Fall for Florence and Rome and planned great days with them. They have pre-arranged itineraries but they are more than willing to make it personal.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this last fall as well....awesome relaxing day and the driver/guide had such a wealth of information and was so cheerful and quite funny at times.

Lovely drive in the countryside and stops when and where ever we wanted for photos and the winery was so lovely. Our luncheon there was made up of all food from there and paired with different wines....really a great day! Joe was really wonderful to work with as far as the booking went also...phone calls back and forth between Italy and Canada ..and we had a great group from our cruise ship that had a really memorable day. Have a wonderful time !

http://joebananalimos.net/chianti_region_livorno_port.html

We took a 1/2 day ship excursion ($119 USD per person). We took the bus to Lucca, had some free time to walk around and shop. Back on the bus to the Montecarlo region and did a wine tour with a light lunch served. Back to the ship.

It was a wonderful, relaxing day.

We had a great day with Rome in Limo in 2009. Tour to Pisa, San Gemignano, lunch and wine tasting at a beautiful winery close to San Gemignano, a short stop in Volterra. Truly one of the nest days ever! You won't go wrong with RIL.

We had theee best tour with Romeinlimo last year. We did a full day tour to Lucca and then spent most of the day on the Montecarlo wine road outside of Lucca. It was, by far, the highlight of last year's Med. cruise. I organized one of the vineyards that I really wanted to go to... and Romeinlimo arranged the others. We had such a fun day. One of the vineyards that they arranged was Fattoria di Fubbiano and it was incredible. I still have a tiny bit of olive oil I bought last year. I cannot wait to go back to this area. The Super Tuscans were amazing! I'm sad that our itinerary this year doesn't include Livorno.

Happy planning!

• 1 month later...
We had theee best tour with Romeinlimo last year. We did a full day tour to Lucca and then spent most of the day on the Montecarlo wine road outside of Lucca. It was, by far, the highlight of last year's Med. cruise. I organized one of the vineyards that I really wanted to go to... and Romeinlimo arranged the others. We had such a fun day. One of the vineyards that they arranged was Fattoria di Fubbiano and it was incredible. I still have a tiny bit of olive oil I bought last year. I cannot wait to go back to this area. The Super Tuscans were amazing! I'm sad that our itinerary this year doesn't include Livorno.

Happy planning!

Hell we are looking to book the same thing through Romeinlimo. We are very interested in Fattoria di Fubbiano. I was wondering how much I should budget for other than the initial Romeinlimo cost. Do we pay for the tour and wine tasting at Fattoria di Fubbiano? If so how much?

Also, we will be there on a Sunday. Will anything be closed?

Thanks in advance,

megan

Hell we are looking to book the same thing through Romeinlimo. We are very interested in Fattoria di Fubbiano. I was wondering how much I should budget for other than the initial Romeinlimo cost. Do we pay for the tour and wine tasting at Fattoria di Fubbiano? If so how much?

Also, we will be there on a Sunday. Will anything be closed?

Thanks in advance,

megan

Awww!!! That is exactly where we went. Well, we went there and 2 others. Fattoria di Fubbiano was our favorite! It was such an amazing experience. I think we paid about $20 for the wine tasting, but that included an incredible spread of bruschetta (the best I've ever ever had!) and a tour of the property and all the wine you wanted to taste. I took back to the ship a couple of incredible "super tuscans" for an incredible price. There was another vineyard we visited on the same day (in addition to touring Lucca) that was very fun also... and there is where we decided to pay extra for a family style lunch. It was one of the best days I've had with Romeinlimo. I still have honey and olive oil by my stove from Fubbiano. I don't think it's going to last before I get back :(

Thank so much for that helpful inso. So if I was going to do everything you did. Wine tastings at several places and family style lunch, how much should I budget ontop of my romeinlimo costs?

Thanks again,

megan

Thank so much for that helpful inso. So if I was going to do everything you did. Wine tastings at several places and family style lunch, how much should I budget ontop of my romeinlimo costs?

Thanks again,

megan

I would say we spent no more that $50pp for the entire day. We splurged on the lunch but I really wanted to have a tasting with the family style lunch. Oh, we also had a quick stop in Pisa on the way to Lucca since my mom had never been there. It ended up working out really well, since we left port at 7:30/8:00 am and it was the perfect time to stop in, take a few photos and the off we went to Lucca and the Montecarlo wine road. I would take this tour again in a heartbeat! And plan to on my next stop in Livorno. DO NOT forget to bring home honey and olive oil. It has been theeee best honey I've ever had.

I would say we spent no more that $50pp for the entire day. We splurged on the lunch but I really wanted to have a tasting with the family style lunch. Oh, we also had a quick stop in Pisa on the way to Lucca since my mom had never been there. It ended up working out really well, since we left port at 7:30/8:00 am and it was the perfect time to stop in, take a few photos and the off we went to Lucca and the Montecarlo wine road. I would take this tour again in a heartbeat! And plan to on my next stop in Livorno. DO NOT forget to bring home honey and olive oil. It has been theeee best honey I've ever had.

Oh im so excited! Thank you SO much !

• 2 weeks later...
I really really really want to do the tuscan countryside with vineyards, wine tasting, family style lunch, etc. Which of the RIL tours is this? I'm a bit confused.

It really is as easy as picking a tour and then emailing and communicating your desires with them. They are extremely accomodating and will do what you wish. After all, you have them for the day and they will go where you want. They have suggestions and you can check them out on the internet before you agree. They will let you know if your choices are doable.

We had plans and even on the day we met them, some changes were made. Things may need to change regardless, in case of weather or other problems.

I have dedealt with may tour companies in my travels but can honestly say that I have not dealt with a company that is so accomodationg. That is why they are so highly regarded on this and other forums.

We did this last fall as well....awesome relaxing day and the driver/guide had such a wealth of information and was so cheerful and quite funny at times.

Lovely drive in the countryside and stops when and where ever we wanted for photos and the winery was so lovely. Our luncheon there was made up of all food from there and paired with different wines....really a great day! Joe was really wonderful to work with as far as the booking went also...phone calls back and forth between Italy and Canada ..and we had a great group from our cruise ship that had a really memorable day. Have a wonderful time !

http://joebananalimos.net/chianti_region_livorno_port.html

Can you go into more detail of the winery? We are also using Joebananalimos and added the winery to our Pisa and Florence stop. He said the winery they take there clients to is Fattoria di Montecchio and he said his clients love it.

Can you go into more detail about the food and setup? We have 2 vegetarians traveling with us. How's the food for vegetarians? Was it just your party at the table? How's the setup? Do you tour first and then the tasting and pairing?

All information is helpful.

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
Awww!!! That is exactly where we went. Well, we went there and 2 others. Fattoria di Fubbiano was our favorite! It was such an amazing experience. I think we paid about $20 for the wine tasting, but that included an incredible spread of bruschetta (the best I've ever ever had!) and a tour of the property and all the wine you wanted to taste. I took back to the ship a couple of incredible "super tuscans" for an incredible price. There was another vineyard we visited on the same day (in addition to touring Lucca) that was very fun also... and there is where we decided to pay extra for a family style lunch. It was one of the best days I've had with Romeinlimo. I still have honey and olive oil by my stove from Fubbiano. I don't think it's going to last before I get back :(

We are interested in visiting Fattoria di Fubbiano on an upcoming cruise. We are going to take train to Lucca from Livorno.

I dont have my photos here at work of the winery, buit if that is the name of the one Joe said he uses, well thats probably where we went. I do not know if you have gone yet or not, sorry for being to late in replying, for some reason I missed the post where you asked questions.

The luncheon was wine tastings with fresh tomatoes and cheese from the winery and homemade bread. There was 3 different tastings of honey as well.

I had booked Joe's tour and had 4 couples from our roll call off the ship. We had a fabulous time on the drive to the winery..the scenery is amazing. I am sure we did the winery tour first and wandered around the grounds before we went inside to eat. It is not like a full blown meal...there was also home made sausage of some sort, I dont eat those since I thought there was likely

garlic in the meat....but all in all, we were all full at the end of it. Plenty of laughs and a lot of knowledge....you will have a great time.

Just let Joe know of any food issues via an email and he will take good care of you.

:o

Can you go into more detail of the winery? We are also using Joebananalimos and added the winery to our Pisa and Florence stop. He said the winery they take there clients to is Fattoria di Montecchio and he said his clients love it.

Can you go into more detail about the food and setup? We have 2 vegetarians traveling with us. How's the food for vegetarians? Was it just your party at the table? How's the setup? Do you tour first and then the tasting and pairing?

All information is helpful.

Thanks in advance

Archived