Skagway Help - Please & ThankYou

CMcG

I'm trying to put together a day in Skagway -

Can anyone give me an idea of time needed to walk from cruise ship to Gold Rush Cemetery & then Lower Reid Falls? I'm thinking of combining a stop at Jewell Gardens with that hike - it makes sense looking at the map but does it make sense in real life? Will much be happening in the gardens in late May or is it too early in the growing season? I know we can hope to catch glass blowing but we're more interested in the gardens.

Then after 3 1/2 hour WP&Y trip with Chilkoot Charters I'm thinking of hike to Yakutania Point before heading back to the ship for late dinner (probably in the buffet or room service).

Anything I need to know about late May in Skagway that I may not realize that I need to take into consideration? Will we have much snow to deal with? Should I look at other hikes for better scenery at that time of year?

Thanks in advance!

I walked to the GoldRush Cemetary; it's a little over 1 1/2 miles. The Gardens looks to be only several blocks further.

http://www.jewellgardens.com/map.html

When we're in the BlueRidge mountains I estimate 1 mile per hour when we're hiking but Skagway looks pretty flat until you get out of town. Would you guess 30-45 minutes to the Cemetery for someone that is used to pretty flat walking?

I'm trying to put together a day in Skagway -

Can anyone give me an idea of time needed to walk from cruise ship to Gold Rush Cemetery & then Lower Reid Falls? I'm thinking of combining a stop at Jewell Gardens with that hike - it makes sense looking at the map but does it make sense in real life? Will much be happening in the gardens in late May or is it too early in the growing season? I know we can hope to catch glass blowing but we're more interested in the gardens.

Then after 3 1/2 hour WP&Y trip with Chilkoot Charters I'm thinking of hike to Yakutania Point before heading back to the ship for late dinner (probably in the buffet or room service).

Anything I need to know about late May in Skagway that I may not realize that I need to take into consideration? Will we have much snow to deal with? Should I look at other hikes for better scenery at that time of year?

Thanks in advance!

Here's walking tour map and info I found on-line:

http://www.skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

Jewels Gardens Website:

http://www.jewellgardens.com/gardentours.html

Map from dock to Gardens:

Interesting review with photos ... says NO to the gardens, yes to the cemetery:

http://www.eportreviews.com/Alaska/Skagway.htm

Last time we went to Skagway I walked from the dock into town by myself and all over the town ara. It was great, and nice that it was flat mostly.. The only thing I had to watch was that the sidewalk are boardwalks (wood planks) so they are up above the street level. A couple of people fell as it was pretty crowded in town and they didn't realize the difference in heights.. Had so much fun there, and didn't worry about being on my own. Everyone in my group had gone on the train. The Alaska T-shirt company is a great place to get things to take home ... lots of variety and reasonable pricing.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

"Skagway is a good starting point for several interesting day hikes. Stop by the Visitor Center to pick up maps and further information. The only National Park Service hiking trail in Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park is the Chilkoot trail. Our listed hikes below are on Forest Service or other public lands, but are neither maintained nor patrolled by NPS personnel. Descriptions of trails courtesy of City of Skagway and are duplicated from the Skagway Trail Map. Distance and time are round trip (return) estimates from the NPS Visitor Center at 2nd and Broadway except where indicated.

Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reid Falls

Time: 2 hours

Distance: 4 miles (6.4 km) round trip

Rating: Easy

Elevation Gain: 50 ft. (15 m)

Follow Main St. or Alaska St. north to 23rd Ave. and the railroad yards. Cross over 23rd Ave. and follow the gravel road around and behind the railroad yards. Continue to follow the road and across the railroad tracks. The cemetery is located in the woods just past the parking area. A short forest trail behind the cemetery leads to spectacular Lower Reid Falls. Beware of vehicles and trains when walking to the cemetery! There is a privy located in the parking area."

Here's walking tour map and info I found on-line:

http://www.skagway.com/skagwaywalkingtour.pdf

Jewels Gardens Website:

http://www.jewellgardens.com/gardentours.html

Map from dock to Gardens:

Interesting review with photos ... says NO to the gardens, yes to the cemetery:

http://www.eportreviews.com/Alaska/Skagway.htm

Last time we went to Skagway I walked from the dock into town by myself and all over the town ara. It was great, and nice that it was flat mostly.. The only thing I had to watch was that the sidewalk are boardwalks (wood planks) so they are up above the street level. A couple of people fell as it was pretty crowded in town and they didn't realize the difference in heights.. Had so much fun there, and didn't worry about being on my own. Everyone in my group had gone on the train. The Alaska T-shirt company is a great place to get things to take home ... lots of variety and reasonable pricing.

Thanks for the links - I hadn't seen that review before - may need to hear from someone that has been to Jewell Gardens in May.

Thanks for the reassurance that it is mostly flat and I will have to watch the sidewalks - I can trip over air. Luckily my husband & I hold hands while walking and he keeps me out of trouble. Although one time when we were separated in a large crowd I did step off a curb and land on my face - not a pretty sight!

I too have walked to the cemetery and Reid's Falls, which is NOT anything but a few minute walk to and look. I like going down Alaska in one direction, past the school and airport.

Sounds like my husband will be spending more time photographing the falls than walking to them!:D

Have you ever gone to Jewell Gardens? I'm trying to decide if it will be worth our while in late May if we are not taking an excursion that gets glassblowing demo.

Sounds like my husband will be spending more time photographing the falls than walking to them!:D

Have you ever gone to Jewell Gardens? I'm trying to decide if it will be worth our while in late May if we are not taking an excursion that gets glassblowing demo.

Having seen a lot of water falls, this one, isn't worth a lot of time or more than a few photos.

Nope, haven't been to Jewell Gardens.

Having seen a lot of water falls, this one, isn't worth a lot of time or more than a few photos.

Nope, haven't been to Jewell Gardens.

I probably should tell my husband that the "hike" to the cemetery is part of the Skagway walking tour rather than a hike. Sometimes he'll put up with wandering around town - sometimes he wants to be away from it all. He's letting me do most of the research and he'll help make the final decisions from the notes I compile - need to make sure my notes don't get me in trouble! :D

Do you have any favorite hikes in Skagway?

I probably should tell my husband that the "hike" to the cemetery is part of the Skagway walking tour rather than a hike. Sometimes he'll put up with wandering around town - sometimes he wants to be away from it all. He's letting me do most of the research and he'll help make the final decisions from the notes I compile - need to make sure my notes don't get me in trouble! :D

For us so much depends on the weather--if I was going to hike and the weather was pleasant then it would be Lower Dewy Lake in Skagway. I'm creating menus of options. As we are taking a 7.5 hr train/bus trip I think we will just walk around town and maybe go to the cemetery. I highly recommend reading about the history of the Chilkoot trail during the gold rush to give some context to Skagway--totally fascinating!

Lower Dewey Lake is far superior. Access off Spring, across the tracks, between 3rd and 4th.

For us so much depends on the weather--if I was going to hike and the weather was pleasant then it would be Lower Dewy Lake in Skagway. I'm creating menus of options. As we are taking a 7.5 hr train/bus trip I think we will just walk around town and maybe go to the cemetery. I highly recommend reading about the history of the Chilkoot trail during the gold rush to give some context to Skagway--totally fascinating!

Lower Dewey Lake is far superior. Access off Spring, across the tracks, between 3rd and 4th.

Thanks - I'll move Lower Dewery Lake up to the top of the list!

After much consideration as for what to do in Skagway, we opted to book a private tour with a local tour guide - just this guy and his SUV to drive us up the Klondike Highway as far as Emerald Lake and back, stopping at several spots on the way. It'll be about 6-7 hours.

We are a party of 5, so it turned out to be cost effective for us to book a private tour guide who charged a flat rate for a tour in his SUV that seats 6. Dyea Dave Tours is also highly recommended if you'd like to consider a bus tour that will take you up the Klondike Hwy, and reasonably priced.

Another option is to rent a vehicle and and drive up the Klondike Highway and see some sights yourself. Just another option to consider. I just wanted the local color/knowledge of a tour guide, and since none of us care for driving and what we want to see involves substantial driving, we opted for the tour.

After our tour, I think the kids and the grandmother will be done, but the husband and I are planning on dong a couple hours of walking sights near Skagway - the Cemetary and whatnot, since our ship will be in port until 7:30.

After much consideration as for what to do in Skagway, we opted to book a private tour with a local tour guide - just this guy and his SUV to drive us up the Klondike Highway as far as Emerald Lake and back, stopping at several spots on the way. It'll be about 6-7 hours.

We are a party of 5, so it turned out to be cost effective for us to book a private tour guide who charged a flat rate for a tour in his SUV that seats 6. Dyea Dave Tours is also highly recommended if you'd like to consider a bus tour that will take you up the Klondike Hwy, and reasonably priced.

Another option is to rent a vehicle and and drive up the Klondike Highway and see some sights yourself. Just another option to consider. I just wanted the local color/knowledge of a tour guide, and since none of us care for driving and what we want to see involves substantial driving, we opted for the tour.

After our tour, I think the kids and the grandmother will be done, but the husband and I are planning on dong a couple hours of walking sights near Skagway - the Cemetary and whatnot, since our ship will be in port until 7:30.

I agree that a small vehicle private tour or renting a car are great options but we're already planning on a 3.5 hour WP&Y Railroad/Bus Tour with Chilkoot Charters that leaves around noon. So we were looking for hikes to get us out into nature for both morning & late afternoon/evening.

I agree that a small vehicle private tour or renting a car are great options but we're already planning on a 3.5 hour WP&Y Railroad/Bus Tour with Chilkoot Charters that leaves around noon. So we were looking for hikes to get us out into nature for both morning & late afternoon/evening.

since you are talking about hiking, I will assume you have no limitations, and would perhaps be interested in the Upper Dewey lake, it can take a couple hours more than Lower.

Also I would suggest you rent bikes and ride out to Dyea, VERY scenic ride with a chance at some wildlife.

since you are talking about hiking, I will assume you have no limitations, and would perhaps be interested in the Upper Dewey lake, it can take a couple hours more than Lower.

Also I would suggest you rent bikes and ride out to Dyea, VERY scenic ride with a chance at some wildlife.

I'm not safe on a bike - absolutely no sense of balance!

I have some limitations - I'm an overweight lazy person with bad knees. :D I'll be looking at the maps & mileage info again. A lot will depend on the rate of elevation gain - living in FL I don't get a lot of practice with it and my knees sometimes complain a little (or a lot if I do too much on the first day or two).

But I've spent the past 25 years following my husband up & down trails in the Blue Ridge Mountains on vacation so it won't be anything new - I'll still be looking at the back of his pack and trying not to trip over my own two feet! Big question may be should I buy a pair of trekking poles or just pack the one inexpensive collapsible walking stick we have - my usual wooden walking stick is probably considered a no-no by airlines.

I've been to Jewell Gardens in mid May. I went for the glass blowing and had some time to tour the gardens after tea. May is a little early for the gardens; they are just being planted, many seedlings have frost protectors on them. It's a nice place but there isn't much to see other than the plants (and the interesting blown glass scupltures) in the greenhouses. There is a garden with the model train in it by the tea house that is nice if you're into model trains.

I think that later in the season, even just a month later because of the long days, the gardens would be very beautiful to see, but May's just a little too early IMO.

I'm not safe on a bike - absolutely no sense of balance!

I have some limitations - I'm an overweight lazy person with bad knees. :D I'll be looking at the maps & mileage info again. A lot will depend on the rate of elevation gain - living in FL I don't get a lot of practice with it and my knees sometimes complain a little (or a lot if I do too much on the first day or two).

But I've spent the past 25 years following my husband up & down trails in the Blue Ridge Mountains on vacation so it won't be anything new - I'll still be looking at the back of his pack and trying not to trip over my own two feet! Big question may be should I buy a pair of trekking poles or just pack the one inexpensive collapsible walking stick we have - my usual wooden walking stick is probably considered a no-no by airlines.

Think you are describing me too! LOL!!! I'm taking my collapsible stick--just in case my knees act up too! Thought about trekking poles but decided against them.

Any other options to get to the cemetary and falls without walking? We have some time after our tour and would like to visit the cemetery. However, I'm not sure if everyone will be willing to walk 4 miles and I don't want to hear any complaining.

I could see if the tour will drop us off, or perhaps we can get transportation one way and walk the other way?

Thanks!

Any other options to get to the cemetary and falls without walking? We have some time after our tour and would like to visit the cemetery. However, I'm not sure if everyone will be willing to walk 4 miles and I don't want to hear any complaining.

I could see if the tour will drop us off, or perhaps we can get transportation one way and walk the other way?

Thanks!

There is the SMART bus. Maybe has a drop off nearby?

I've been to Jewell Gardens in mid May. I went for the glass blowing and had some time to tour the gardens after tea. May is a little early for the gardens; they are just being planted, many seedlings have frost protectors on them. It's a nice place but there isn't much to see other than the plants (and the interesting blown glass scupltures) in the greenhouses. There is a garden with the model train in it by the tea house that is nice if you're into model trains.

I think that later in the season, even just a month later because of the long days, the gardens would be very beautiful to see, but May's just a little too early IMO.

Thanks - we are not planning on doing the glass blowing excursion so we may skip it after all. Appreciate your insight for that time of year!

Think you are describing me too! LOL!!! I'm taking my collapsible stick--just in case my knees act up too! Thought about trekking poles but decided against them.

We'll have to keep fingers crossed that the knees behave!

For some reason I can't justify the expense of trekking poles although several people have told me they would help (usually after they see me trip over rocks or roots and almost land on my face). Maybe I'll see if I can find a used set - if not I'll pack the stick we have. And maybe I'll come knocking on your door to borrow yours so I can have two! :D

Archived