Dunes River Falls

Wyotraveler

Hi all

It is around 40 days and counting to my cruise on the Oasis of Seas. Starting to look at excursions and had heard the Dunes River Falls was a must see. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this site? Also is this an excursion I should book through RCL or can I do this on my own?

Thanks

If you peruse the threads on this board, you will find tons of information about DRF since it is a major tourist attraction in Jamaica, especially for those stopping in Ocho Rios.

You could either do a ship's excursion, a private tour or just take a taxi to DRF. We did a private tour with Peat Taylor that included going tubing on the White River too. I liked this tour with Peat (who gets excellent reviews here and on Trip Advisor) and having someone to provide some interesting information about Jamaica and useful information for me, as a tourist. Besides being less expensive than the ship's excursion, our tour with Peat got to DRF before the ship's excursion and we beat the crowds!

• 5 weeks later...

If you are on Oasis then you will be docking in Falmouth (about an hour away from the falls) The highway is like any other single lane each way highway in US Slow when stuck behind a truck but otherwise quite ok. (they do drive on the other side in Jamaica)

I priced out frequently mentioned private operators here on CC. Turned ou t that for the particular DRF/Caves combination excursion, RCCL's own excursion was signifiantly cheaper than any other tour operators (peace of mind was additional bonus)

Would strongly recommend this particular excursion with RCCL (you can do beach day, zip line, tubing at so many other places - these two are unique to this port)

IMHO - YMMV

I would do the ship tour just for the convenience factor. You will get WET:). We brought a little cheapo point and shoot, gave it to the guide who kept it dry for the climb and took some really priceless pictures of DW and I. He earned his tip. Wear watershoes or sneakers, no flipflops. Dunns is awesome!

I agree Dunns River Falls is highly recommended. You do not have a lot of opportunities to climb UP a waterfall. It is cool.

The downside of doing a tour is that you are forced to stand in line and spend most of your time waiting around. And the water is chilly. If you do it on your own, you have the freedom to go up and down the falls as much as you want and to stop and explore different areas.

The downside to doing it on your own is that the ship does not wait for you and it is a bit of a drive from Falmouth (an hour, I think?).

We read a lot about Dunns River Falls before we went. One guidebook called it "overrated". So glad we didn't listen to that! Yes, it was a little crowded, but there's room for everybody! We wore water shoes (a must!) and I wore a bathing suit with lightweight cotton capris. DH wore swim trunks and a T-shirt.

I wish we had brought along a waterproof camera -- don't chance it with a good camera -- you can slip and your hand (with camera) will be underwater quickly!

The climb was just enough of a challenge to feel like an accomplishment but not too strenuous for this retired couple! We had a fabulous time -- what a thrill!

Dunns River Falls was excellent! We laughed the whole way up. Bring an underwater camera. Your guide will take pictures for you because it's a little tricky to climb and shoot photos. We could have booked it on board but decided to do it through a local tour operator so we could also go to bamboo beach club. This was our favorite port and favorite tour!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone previously mentioned going on your own instead of in a group. do the give you that option? Everyone else on here and trip advisor talks about going up in a human chain w/ a bunch of people. I don't know why anyone would do that, if you are given the option to go on your own.

How much are the falls?

Someone previously mentioned going on your own instead of in a group. do the give you that option? Everyone else on here and trip advisor talks about going up in a human chain w/ a bunch of people. I don't know why anyone would do that, if you are given the option to go on your own.

How much are the falls?

I dont recall the fee, but it wasnt expensive at all. I can tell you that twice we went to the falls on our own, but were ushered into a group and guided up the falls in a chain.

Archived