key west--walk or city view

paguiar

Depends on what you want to see. I think if you want to see more of the island, the trolly is your best bet because it is hop on / hop off. If all you want is to tour Duval, bar hop and hit the Duval shops, walking would be your better option.

If there are no physical limitations I would walk.

Duval Street, the main tourist area is about a mile and a quarter long and completely flat.

Personally I think you miss a lot by using the trolley since it only stops at a few pre-determined spots and there is still considerable walking involved for most.

Another alternative is to take the Conch Tour Train which gives one an informative tour of the island in only 90 minutes (but does not stop for shopping, getting on and off, etc). That leaves plenty of time to do the things that interest you most.

Mike:)

Sorry Paul, did not mean to type over you. Had started a response and got distracted.

Thank you!!

I think we will walk and from the reviews we will make a list of the places we want to stop and see along the way. My must have is the key lime pie on a stick. The travel agent said it was a must have.

This is our first time visiting Key West and I can't wait.

So how far is it to the southernmost point?

Is that a fairly easy walk or not?

The walk down Whitehead St is almost exactly 1 mile (not 1.5). Along the way, you'll pass the Hemingway House and Key West lightbouse. You can then go over 1 block and walk Duval St. back up.

1/2 mile from the ship to the beginning of Whitehead. .5 + 1.0 = 1.5. And since the numbers go up, you walk up Whitehead.

From where the ship ties up to the Southernmost Point, you walk south, therefore walking "down" Whitehead is also a correct term.

I prefer to give correct info about my hometown and when someone is considering walking, I would prefer they know it's only a 2 mile walk round trip, not 3. That would make a difference to some people.

And by the way, most Carnival ships tie up at the Mole Pier and are therefore shuttled in to town. The January 2013 calander has not been published yet, so I do not know what pier they are on. From where the shuttle drops them off to Whitehead St is about 50 ft, not a half mile. Even if they tie up at Pier B, the distance from the pier to Whitehead St is about 600-700 ft. That's hardly a half mile. Again, there's a big difference.

LOL, I"d take a pedicab!!!!

When I was there last month, a couple of Carnival ships were in that week. When taking the City Town trolley, the driver drove me nuts telling all those cruisers when, why and how to get the shuttle back to their ship. Drove me off the Trolley!

BTW, Tues was 75 degrees, yesterday was 80 degrees and today will probably be the same. Not bad for Boston, eh???;)

I'd still rather be in KW!

Archived