Credit Card Fraud?

4hunters

Just curious if any of you have ever had problems with fraudulent charge attempts on your credit card soon after giving a Carnival rep your credit card number over the phone for a purchase?

I had just that experience a week ago with my American Express card. About an hour after giving a Carnival representative my CC number, Amex contacted me saying they had detected a charge attempt outside of the US (it was a separate charge from the one for Carnival). I confirmed with Amex that the charge was in fact fraudulent and they took care of it with no problems.

I've NEVER had anything like this happen before and am very careful with my personal information. I'm just wondering if it was just a coincidence or if Carnival is somehow lacking in properly securing their customer's information. I'm betting it was just a coincidence.... ;)

Did you use it any before that? I have not had any problems with Carnival but I have had my CC number stolen. It's not fun. Mine was from shopping on line. I was in Alaska on a cruise and someone in Tx used my card.:mad: Luckily I had other cards with me I could use. I am glad that your problem was taken care of quickly. I hope Amex sent you a new card and canceled the old one.

Did you use it any before that? I have not had any problems with Carnival but I have had my CC number stolen. It's not fun. Mine was from shopping on line. I was in Alaska on a cruise and someone in Tx used my card.:mad: Luckily I had other cards with me I could use. I am glad that your problem was taken care of quickly. I hope Amex sent you a new card and canceled the old one.

It's strange because I used that card at least twice a week. :confused: Yes, they overnighted me a new card.

Sorry to hear about your CC number being stolen. That can't be fun!

It's strange because I used that card at least twice a week. :confused: Yes, they overnighted me a new card.

Sorry to hear about your CC number being stolen. That can't be fun!

It could of happened from anywhere. You never know what people are capable of. I had a friend whose credit card number was stolen from a gas pump. She had one card she used only for gas.

I was told that Carnival doesn't keep your card number on file. Not sure if that is true or not.

Never had a problem anywhere in the world except for Las Vegas. Twice after trips to Vegas we have gotten a call from our credit card company saying someone had tried to use our number but thankfully they were rejected and we had to have new cards issued. I hate when that happens even though we have one other card we can use....it's just feels weird to have someone trying to rip you off. Probably someone you were nice to when you gave them your card to make a purchase. It gives me the creeps to think someone has gotten access to what I think is private information.

My debit card number was stolen last summer. I never found out for sure, but Carnival was one of the places I had recently used it. However, I had paid on my cruise online. Really, it could have been almost anywhere, but I made a list of places and Carnival was one of them.

Luckily, mine was caught almost immediately. I get a text anytime my card is used online, and someone tried to run $1.00 on a charity website. I called the bank immediately. The said that is how thieves see if the card is good. I'm glad I get texts, or it would have been a huge headache!

Just in January, we made our final payment and a week later had multiple fraudulent attempts. The one entry that actually posted on my account (and was reversed by the bank) stated "JCI Computers Sagunto ESES."

Someone used my husband's Carnival card... that he had never even used. I have no idea how they got the number. He uses other cards. I just cancelled his card. The amount they charged was small .. like $ 5.00 dollars or so. But I just happened to be checking my charges. Sure made me unhappy. Carnival did the right thing and removed it, but still.. That card had never been out of my house.

Nancy

NOt from Carnival,,but I did have my Discover card used at the "Hasta La Vista" grocery store in of all places,,England (can't remember which city). OF course Discover was on in like white on an aspirin.

I had mine stolen after my Jan. cruise. I used the card onboard the ship and at 1 jewelry store in Mexico. They made one small charge at a Radisson then bought $3000 worth of Air Panama tickets. Capital One overnighted a new card with a new number. They told me it happens all the time because the thieves have the last 4 digits and just keep trying until they hit a number that works. Capital One caught it right away and called me to verify it wasn't mine.

It is most likely just a coincidence. There are SOOOO many ways that credit card numbers are compromised. I actually work for a major credit card issuer and you would not believe some of the things we see. One of the craziest things is there is a computer program that has the algorithm that VISA & MC use to create CC numbers, and fraudsters literally just generate lists of potential CC #s and attempt to use them for small dollar charges online until they find ones that work at which point they go crazy and charge as much as possible before the card issuer realizes what’s happening and blocks it.

Just curious if any of you have ever had problems with fraudulent charge attempts on your credit card soon after giving a Carnival rep your credit card number over the phone for a purchase?

I had just that experience a week ago with my American Express card. About an hour after giving a Carnival representative my CC number, Amex contacted me saying they had detected a charge attempt outside of the US (it was a separate charge from the one for Carnival). I confirmed with Amex that the charge was in fact fraudulent and they took care of it with no problems.

I've NEVER had anything like this happen before and am very careful with my personal information. I'm just wondering if it was just a coincidence or if Carnival is somehow lacking in properly securing their customer's information. I'm betting it was just a coincidence.... ;)

That or someone in your neighborhood is scanning wireless calls.

...I was told that Carnival doesn't keep your card number on file. Not sure if that is true or not.

actually, they do -- because they just kept mine for this recent booking to automatically debit the balance on the due date. i never did this with them before. i'm not even sure if they've always had it, but they do now.i was reluctant to allow it, but my final due date is only a coupla weeks out.

That happened to us too. I needed to make our final payment and the online payment screen was not working so I called Carnival and used my Debit card. 3 days later, I had two charges appear on my online bank statement. Both for online dating sites, one for single parents (I have no children) and one for senior dating (I am 40). My bank reversed the charges and I had to get a new debit card.

I normally do not give credit card information over the phone (this was the exception) and when I purchase online, I go through Paypal.

I had mine stolen once. They purchased airline tickets to Kuwait. My credit company questions gas purchases in a town 1/2 hour away, but they let the charge for the airline tickets go through. How does that happen?

That happened to us too. I needed to make our final payment and the online payment screen was not working so I called Carnival and used my Debit card. 3 days later, I had two charges appear on my online bank statement. Both for online dating sites, one for single parents (I have no children) and one for senior dating (I am 40). My bank reversed the charges and I had to get a new debit card.

I normally do not give credit card information over the phone (this was the exception) and when I purchase online, I go through Paypal.

you're kiddin' me?!? sheesh. this doesn't sound very good. when did this occur? the OP's events occurred a week ago. i gave my credit card info to a new person (my pvp changed departments) just this a.m.

I used to work in a call center. A once very big internet service provider that most American's used to get online... At this call center every call was recorded, not only the voice call but what you were doing on the computer at the same time. I worked in tech support but had a friend in Quality Assurance. One night she picked a call to review. And this girl in the billing departmant took the customer's CC info and while still talking to the customer over the phone opened another IE window and started shopping with the customer's cc. Actually went to dell.com and purchased a computer. They of course immediately ran over to this girls desk and found she had a note pad with LOTS of cc numbers. We were not even supposed to write down the screen names or any other personal info.

After that I would much rather enter my cc info online than give it to anyone!

Many possibilities here, but someone needs to investigate before pointing a finger.

A rep at Carnival would hopefully be bonded in order to be handling credit cards and substantial private information. Also, it would only take a couple of incidents before the facts would stack up against a credit card thief who is in such a position. It would be a dumb crime to start stealing numbers. Then again, many criminals are dumb as rocks. And some are quite brilliant.

This could be a logical fallacy known as Post Hoc -- "A" happened before "B," therefore "A" is the cause of "B." Just because the misuse of your credit card closely followed a Carnival transaction, doesn't mean Carnival or its rep had anything to do with it. There are many ways to get your number, some of which don't require any transaction at all. You can't even be sure that your credit card company wasn't hacked, and the same goes for every other company that has a copy of your credit card number.

Never had fraudulent charges put on my card but I did have "points" added to my card for staying in a motel in a state that I had never been in before. I called the company to make sure that I wasn't charged for the motel. The rep laughed and couldn't figure out why my account got the points without being charged for the room. I kept watching and never did get charged for the room and she told me not to worry about the points.

I have not had any problems with our credit cards dealing with Carnival over the phone or on line.

That is a good thing about credit cards they are usually easy to handle any problems.

That’s why I don’t use our debit card for these types of purchases. It seems always difficult to fix debit card problems.

Archived