Updated Local Dominica News Article on Summit Incident

FSUNole

Yes, it was a charter.

How can you not know that it would be illegal to have sex in public?

Atlantis says that they do warn their passengers about conduct that might be illegal in other countries.

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sex in public is illegal in most countries of the world... Netherlands might be the sole exception, maybe Denmark. What were they thinking? Children could have seen this.

Yet, there are some funny laws on the books in the non USA affiliated Caribbean islands. Probably suffering from colonial overload as we were in the USA before the revolution.

Also, how come you can buy over the counter narcotic pain meds on these islands but require a scrip in the USA?

So, the Washington Post article above says: "During the interrogation, the police official threatened to take them to a clinic and have them medically examined for proof of homosexual activity".

Are you for real????

There is no way this would have happened to a straight couple.

No more cruises to Dominica for me.

So, the Washington Post article above says: "During the interrogation, the police official threatened to take them to a clinic and have them medically examined for proof of homosexual activity".

Are you for real????

Why the heck isn't the gay community coming out against two guys who have been idiots and put the entire community in as bad a light as you could ask for.

I for one am baffled by anyone defending these clowns.

It'd be a bit like a teenager off a cruise ship going on a shoplifting spree and getting arrested and the parents saying it was because he was rich and white. that they nabbed him. Any reasonable person would be ashamed of the kids behavior and apologize big time.

BTW: "No more cruises to Dominica for me" .

Don't be surprised if Dominica forbids "Gay Themed" cruises in the future. A shame really because the only way things change is by learning and understanding.It takes only a few spoiled apples to ruin the whole barrel.

Are you for real????

I was interested to see what they would say after they were free from Dominica jurisdiction. They had to be contrite while in he hands of these homophobics but later they could say what happened w/o fear of reprisals. While their actions were indiscreet to say the least the treatment they received was terrible and shameful.

Why the heck isn't the gay community coming out against two guys who have been idiots and put the entire community in as bad a light as you could ask for.

I for one am baffled by anyone defending these clowns.

It'd be a bit like a teenager off a cruise ship going on a shoplifting spree and getting arrested and the parents saying it was because he was rich and white. that they nabbed him. Any reasonable person would be ashamed of the kids behavior and apologize big time.

I am not defendning them at all - just commenting on their deplorable treatment while in jail. Just like I would speak out if the teenager in your hypothetical had his hands cut off for stealing by a backwards regime.

I am not defendning them at all - just commenting on their deplorable treatment while in jail. Just like I would speak out if the teenager in your hypothetical had his hands cut off for stealing by a backwards regime.

I agree. I did not read a defense of their behavior into your comment. It was all about how they were treated afterwards.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: What parts did they cut off in this unfortunate episode? :p

Having been nearly tossed into jail once for being shy on money on Union Island I can tell you first hand, do not piss off any official in the developing world.

It is not pleasent in anyway at all and all I did was run a few EC short of my exit Visa. :eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: What parts did they cut off in this unfortunate episode? :p

Having been nearly tossed into jail once for being shy on money on Union Island I can tell you first hand, do not piss off any official in the developing world.

It is not pleasent in anyway at all and all I did was run a few EC short of my exit Visa. :eek:

So are you this instigating in person as you are on the web. :rolleyes:

I like a debate yes and happen to enjoy Dominica.
\

You kidding? i was born in the morning but not this morning. You like to argue and bait. When you want to see someone elses POV and do so respectfully then we can debate. Have a nice day.

So are you this instigating in person as you are on the web. :rolleyes:

Really?! I don't find A Sixth? instigating at all. If anything, he provides good thought provoking commentary. Isn't that what this forum is all about? :confused:

Perhaps I'm an instigator too because I find the actions of the two individuals to be a black eye on the human race as a whole...gay/straight/or indifferent!

Really?! I don't find A Sixth? instigating at all. If anything, he provides good thought provoking commentary. Isn't that what this forum is all about? :confused:

Perhaps I'm an instigator too because I find the actions of the two individuals to be a black eye on the human race as a whole...gay/straight/or indifferent!

Provoking is a good word. Actually neither one of you have commented at all on the other side here and thats how these men were treated afterwards. I've acknowledged they were indiscreet but what about this? isn't this a black on humanity as well? Your lack of commentary about this speaks volumes. Do you think this was justified?

Just a thought - These two men must have realized that there would be consequences for doing what they did since they exposed themselves (no pun intended) to the public. If they were young I would be more likely to think it was done out of stupidity, but my gut feeling is that they did this to protest the laws of where they were docked. With this in mind, is it possible that they were treated the way they were because they were still in protest mode after they were arrested?

Provoking is a good word. Actually neither one of you have commented at all on the other side here and thats how these men were treated afterwards. I've acknowledged they were indiscreet but what about this? Your lack of commentary about this speaks volumes. Do you think this was justified?

I'm usually don't comment on things that I don't have ALL the facts on, but it is clear that what they did on their balcony was wrong. I have and would say the same thing if it was a heterosexual couple. To me, sexual orientation just muddies the facts. The facts are that they were warned that this was unacceptable. They chose to do it any way. I don't know if they were challenging the law. Acting stupidly. Or, just didn't care. Bottom line, none of us were in the interrogation room. The facts are somewhere between what this couple is now saying and what was originally reported.

When you do to another country that is not your home, you need to be on your best behavior as my dear mom would say. The tour company warned them. I'm starting to think that this couple is just dense.

BTW...Don't you dare label me a homophobe because I am expressing my views. I have immediate family members who are gay and they would find this situation appalling too!

I'm usually don't comment on things that I don't have ALL the facts on, but it is clear that what they did on their balcony was wrong. I have and would say the same thing if it was a heterosexual couple. To me, sexual orientation just muddies the facts. The facts are that they were warned that this was unacceptable. They chose to do it any way. I don't know if they were challenging the law. Acting stupidly. Or, just didn't care. Bottom line, none of us were in the interrogation room. The facts are somewhere between what this couple is now saying and what was originally reported.

When you do to another country that is not your home, you need to be on your best behavior as my dear mom would say. The tour company warned them. I'm starting to think that this couple is just dense.

BTW...Don't you dare label me a homophobe because I am expressing my views. I have immediate family members who are gay and they would find this situation appalling too![/quote

First of all the issue here is labeling. There is homophobia in Dominica. No question. I am not labeling you anymore than you are labeling me. Nothing good comes from that. why you feel that way is something that stems from w/i you I think. it sure doesn't come from me. I learned a very long time ago not to label.

I'll ask again do you think their treatment was justified?

Just a thought - These two men must have realized that there would be consequences for doing what they since they exposed themselves (no pun intended) to the public. If they were young I would be more likely to think it was done out of stupidity, but my gut feeling is that they did this to protest the laws of where they were docked. With this in mind, is it possible that they were treated the way they were because they were still in protest mode after they were arrested?

Possible but possible not. I sort of doubt their was much defiance when they realized they were under arrest. if they were fooling around on the balcony to protest homophobia in Dominica and then found themselves under arrest then their bluff was called in spades, if thats why they did it. With respect. JM2C.

BTW...Don't you dare label me a homophobe because I am expressing my views. I have immediate family members who are gay and they would find this situation appalling too![/quote

First of all the issue here is labeling. There is homophobia in Dominica. No question. I am not labeling you anymore than you are labeling me. Nothing good comes from that. why you feel that way is something that stems from w/i you I think. it sure doesn't come from me. I learned a very long time ago not to label.

I'll ask again do you think their treatment was justified?

I'll tell you again...I don't think we have all the facts. In the US, their treatment would be unjustified as far as treatment in custody. We still don't know how they acted when dealing with the officials.

Again...in another country you should not do anything to warrant handling by the "authorities". That's just my rule of good travel.

I'll tell you again...I don't think we have all the facts. In the US, their treatment would be unjustified as far as treatment in custody. We still don't know how they acted when dealing with the officials.

Again...in another country you should not do anything to warrant handling by the "authorities". That's just my rule of good travel.

I respect your opinion though it seems to me you are leaning towards the officials in Dominica. Ok, so be it. We don't know everything but do know the judge name called and the local populace basically made them go through a gauntlet. I do hope that if you ever learn that how they described post arrest treatment was indeed true you will speak out as much against that as you have against them. .JM2C.

Archived