Please help me make the best of this Alaskan cruisetour!

cg_abby

So I came up with an itinerary, presented it to my parents, and they seem on board! We are gonna book everything tomorrow-I'm excited! :) Here it is...

1. Arrive in Whittier

2. Use Whittier shuttle service (********************) take 39$ shuttle. Includes 3 scenic stops including a 45 min stop at Wildlife Conservation center, Turnagin Arm, Portage Glacier. Drop off along Spenard road. Pick up 830 drop off at 12. Groups of 6 or more get 10% off so its 210 dollars for all of us.

3. Pick up van at Midnight Sun car rental at 4211 Spenard road Alaska 99517. Must have proof of insurance. Can rent 7 passenger for 105$ a day Number is 888-877-3585

4. Drive to Denali Park. http://Www.nps.gov/Denali. Drive is about 4.5 hours. Estimated arrival after getting car would prob be at 6 or 7.

5. Check into Denali princess hotel. Check in. Using tour saver coupon get a traditional room for 269 a night and then the next night free.

6. Relax this evening, get dinner, go to visitors center, walk trails, etc

7. Go on shuttle to eielson or wonder lake. Bring lunch (or buy at subway). Will is free, abby half price. Shuttle to Eielson is 34, to WL is 46. All day trip. Can get out where ever. Return back to hotel and sleep.

8. In morning eat breakfast and check out. Drive to Seward. 7 hour drive. Try to leave by 8. Arrive at Seward around 4 or 5. Visit sealife center, walk around, go to Exit Glacier, eat dinner.

9. Check in at hotel. Holiday Inn-free because of Dad’s work

10. Next morning wake up early and go to kenai national park. Take 6 hour kenai fjords tour starting at 8 oclock. http://www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-nationalpark.html End at two. Load up and drive to anchorage. Get on plane. :)

Look good? Any holes or things I should reconsider? Do you think I could get the Kenai Fjords to honor one of their couponbook discounts even though this cruise leaves at 8 instead of later (Same length/tour). Would we have enough time to get to the Sealife center? Any more advice?

Wow! This seems very busy and squished.

Your point #8 does not seem doable. You better check the times for the Sea Life Center. You could be there several hours and not arriving until 4 or 5?

Check to see how late they are open. Skip Exit Glacier. That is enough for one day. With doing the SeaLife center and eating dinner you will be tired out after the long drive from Denali.

This land trip seems soooo much better than what you were getting through the cruisetour. It seems very busy and you will be hopping but you will have a good time.

On your way from Denali to Seward after you have driven around Turnagain Arm (Cook's Inlet) you will come to a place on the left called Summit Lake Lodge. There is a good restaurant in there if it is time for you all to eat. If your time is running ok, stop there even for a few minutes and walk the few feet over and see the lake. Summit Lake with the mountains in the background is just beautiful.

Abby - please keep us all posted on what you end up with and then how your trip went. I'm sure other people besides myself have enjoyed reading your posts and your story.

You are doing an amazing job. Your parents should be real proud of you.

Wow! This seems very busy and squished.

Your point #8 does not seem doable. You better check the times for the Sea Life Center. You could be there several hours and not arriving until 4 or 5?

Check to see how late they are open. Skip Exit Glacier. That is enough for one day. With doing the SeaLife center and eating dinner you will be tired out after the long drive from Denali.

This land trip seems soooo much better than what you were getting through the cruisetour. It seems very busy and you will be hopping but you will have a good time.

On your way from Denali to Seward after you have driven around Turnagain Arm (Cook's Inlet) you will come to a place on the left called Summit Lake Lodge. There is a good restaurant in there if it is time for you all to eat. If your time is running ok, stop there even for a few minutes and walk the few feet over and see the lake. Summit Lake with the mountains in the background is just beautiful.

Abby - please keep us all posted on what you end up with and then how your trip went. I'm sure other people besides myself have enjoyed reading your posts and your story.

You are doing an amazing job. Your parents should be real proud of you.

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I agree-it may be a rushed day trying to do the drive, aquarium, and glacier. I think it will just be a wait and see thing, especially because we don't have to reserve either of those and won't lose any money. We can just see how much time we have and how we feel. Again-the flexibility is so nice! I'm so thankful it's gone well so far and I'm praying everything still has availability and we can get some discounts. Does either the toursaver or northern lights coupon books look better for this?

So I came up with an itinerary, presented it to my parents, and they seem on board! We are gonna book everything tomorrow-I'm excited! :) Here it is...

1. Arrive in Whittier

2. Use Whittier shuttle service (********************) take 39$ shuttle. Includes 3 scenic stops including a 45 min stop at Wildlife Conservation center, Turnagin Arm, Portage Glacier. Drop off along Spenard road. Pick up 830 drop off at 12. Groups of 6 or more get 10% off so its 210 dollars for all of us.

3. Pick up van at Midnight Sun car rental at 4211 Spenard road Alaska 99517. Must have proof of insurance. Can rent 7 passenger for 105$ a day Number is 888-877-3585

4. Drive to Denali Park. Www.nps.gov/Denali. Drive is about 4.5 hours. Estimated arrival after getting car would prob be at 6 or 7.

5. Check into Denali princess hotel. Check in. Using tour saver coupon get a traditional room for 269 a night and then the next night free.

6. Relax this evening, get dinner, go to visitors center, walk trails, etc

7. Go on shuttle to eielson or wonder lake. Bring lunch (or buy at subway). Will is free, abby half price. Shuttle to Eielson is 34, to WL is 46. All day trip. Can get out where ever. Return back to hotel and sleep.

8. In morning eat breakfast and check out. Drive to Seward. 7 hour drive. Try to leave by 8. Arrive at Seward around 4 or 5. Visit sealife center, walk around, go to Exit Glacier, eat dinner.

9. Check in at hotel. Holiday Inn-free because of Dad’s work

10. Next morning wake up early and go to kenai national park. Take 6 hour kenai fjords tour starting at 8 oclock. http://www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-nationalpark.html End at two. Load up and drive to anchorage. Get on plane. :)

Look good? Any holes or things I should reconsider? Do you think I could get the Kenai Fjords to honor one of their couponbook discounts even though this cruise leaves at 8 instead of later (Same length/tour). Would we have enough time to get to the Sealife center? Any more advice?

I have not been to Alaska (yet) so I will let folks with more experience chime in, but I think some of your time estimations for travel are a little short. The travel time Anchorage to Denali and Denali to Seward seems low compared to what other folks have mentioned on here.

Most importantly, I think you said your flight home is at 4 PM, which means you should plan on getting to the airport around 2 PM (to be on the safe side.) That is not doable if you are getting off of the boat tour in Seward at 2 since Seward is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive, if I am not mistaken, from Anchorage.

Hopefully, I missed something..... :)

Others have beaten me to it, but I have to add my compliments to you...you must be a very special young lady.

I agree with Ihopfar...unless we've missed something, your itinerary is not doable. You arrive in Whittier on the 14th, you fly out of Anchorage on the 17th at 4pm. Is that correct?

If so, I would recommend this itinerary:

14th...drive to Denali and spend night (your plan)

15th...spend day in DNP and spend night (your plan)

16th...leisurely drive back to Anchorage (if you can you get free nights at Holiday Inn in Anchorage?) or spend night in Wasilla/Palmer area

17th...if you spent the night in Anchorage, you would have time to do something there; if the night was in Palmer/Wasilla, you have a nice leisurely drive to Anchorage with a stop somewhere along the way...perhaps Eklutna http://www.eklutnahistoricalpark.org/ or the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/. Or maybe a little hike before getting to the airport, of which there are many places along the way.

In addition to there not being enough time on the 17th to take a tour in Seward and then make it to your flight, there is so much distance between your destinations that you are sacrificing the journey for the destination. With 6 people of 3 generations in one car, covering 100s of miles/day, travel time will be pretty slow. There's so much to enjoy along the way that I would hate to see everyone stressed out trying to get from place to place.

I'm so glad you're taking an interest in helping plan your family's vacation...I think everyone will have a wonderful time on your trip!

For Anchorage to Denali allow 6 hours with stops. You do not want to be on a tight marathon driving schedule. Same with Denali /Seward, allow 9 hours.

You do need a two hour window at Anchorage airport, plus at least 30 minutes to gas up/turn in the car rental.

Others have beaten me to it, but I have to add my compliments to you...you must be a very special young lady.

I agree with Ihopfar...unless we've missed something, your itinerary is not doable. You arrive in Whittier on the 14th, you fly out of Anchorage on the 17th at 4pm. Is that correct?

If so, I would recommend this itinerary:

14th...drive to Denali and spend night (your plan)

15th...spend day in DNP and spend night (your plan)

16th...leisurely drive back to Anchorage (if you can you get free nights at Holiday Inn in Anchorage?) or spend night in Wasilla/Palmer area

17th...if you spent the night in Anchorage, you would have time to do something there; if the night was in Palmer/Wasilla, you have a nice leisurely drive to Anchorage with a stop somewhere along the way...perhaps Eklutna http://www.eklutnahistoricalpark.org/ or the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/. Or maybe a little hike before getting to the airport, of which there are many places along the way.

In addition to there not being enough time on the 17th to take a tour in Seward and then make it to your flight, there is so much distance between your destinations that you are sacrificing the journey for the destination. With 6 people of 3 generations in one car, covering 100s of miles/day, travel time will be pretty slow. There's so much to enjoy along the way that I would hate to see everyone stressed out trying to get from place to place.

I'm so glad you're taking an interest in helping plan your family's vacation...I think everyone will have a wonderful time on your trip!

Thank you for the responses everyone. Our flight actually leaves at 8:30 on the 17th. I figured we would get done with the kenai tour around 2:30, be back in anchorage at 5:30, and then turn in our rental car and go to the airport? I think this will be enough time.

It is good to know driving distances take longer-I had just gone to google maps, entered our locations, and added one or two hours to googles estimated driving time. Maybe we should stay in anchorage and not do the kenai tour.

Hmm...now I am thinking again. Maybe it would be better to stay in anchorage the last night. I just don't know what we would do? I want to make the most of our time and see as much nature as we can because thats what my family enjoys. I have heard a lot of positive things about the kenai fjords tour. Im trying to look for things that dont require too much walking/hiking because of my grandparents, but still provide enough excitement to keep my 11 year old brother entertained.

But if we are gonna be doing too much time maybe I should rethink this. I don't want to mess this up cause I know all the blame will be on me! :/

Also, are the main roads in Alaska hard to drive? I just got my license a few weeks ago and would love to say I've driven in Alaska (even if only for a few minutes!)

The issue isn't with the roads in Alaska, the issue is with your rental contract. Your rental company has a minimum age of 21.

Toursaver discounts are capacity controlled. Sometimes rooms discounted rooms at the Princess Lodge aren't available date cruisetours fill the hotel. There are other similar places in the area. I think toursaver has offers for other hotels in the Denali area.

Based on BQs 6 hour driving time you'll be arriving at Denali closer to 8 then 6.

You can ask Kenai Fjords. Vendors frequently offer BOGO for tours which are less popular. Which don't line up with cruise or trains schedules. Even if they don't offer you BOGO they might offer you a % discount.

An alternative is to skip the Seward segment. Spend time in Talkeetna (see if you can a toursaver coupon to work), Anchorage etc. You have to compare what you'll be seeing against the time spent driving.

You need one more day if you want to include Sewad. Another alternative suggestion, is to take advantage of bieing in Whittier and do a PWS boat tour. Then the train to Anchorage, overnight there. Then 2 nights in Anchorage, and all day to get back to Anchorage and the flight home.

You need one more day if you want to include Sewad. Another alternative suggestion, is to take advantage of bieing in Whittier and do a PWS boat tour. Then the train to Anchorage, overnight there. Then 2 nights in Anchorage, and all day to get back to Anchorage and the flight home.

I assume you mean Then 2 nights in Denali not Anchorage.

Normally I'd send a PM and suggest editing your post, if my assumption is correct. This board doesn't seem to allow PMs or editing your posts (after a few minutes).

This itinerary seems a lot more relaxed. I don't know how long before the agency starts to run out of vans. It might make sense to reserve the van sooner rather then later.

Thank you for the responses everyone. Our flight actually leaves at 8:30 on the 17th. I figured we would get done with the kenai tour around 2:30, be back in anchorage at 5:30, and then turn in our rental car and go to the airport? I think this will be enough time

That is doable. If the hotel in Seward would be changeable (not lose money/points/whatever if you cancel it) go ahead and book it while everyone talks about spending that much time in the car.

Don't worry about your brother being bored...there is plenty to do no matter where you go. For instance, if you spent the last night in the Wasilla area, you could all go up to Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass for lunch. While your grandparents sit in the rustic lodge, you and your brother can hike around, you can all visit the mine, etc. This link is to an awfully designed website, but the pics are excellent to show you the area:

http://www.hatcherpasslodge.com/

As for the roads, yes they are easy to drive. I'm sure your dad could find a backroad with no traffic someplace you could drive for a couple of minutes.

Hello! My parents have booked a ten night Princess cruisetour leaving July 7 on the Diamond Princess. http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.page?voyageCode=M217&tourCode=T2AAA3&resType=T&ppax=false&noOfPax=2&meta=B

It will be my grandparents (both decently mobile), my parents, my 11 year old brother, and me (16, girl). We have been on two Caribbean cruises and enjoyed them a ton!! Never sailed with Princess before. After reading all this info I see now a DIY land your would be best, but we've already booked so I need advice on how to make sure we have a good vacation. I know we will not have much time at our land destinations (which makes me feel sick to my stomach and want to cry!!) but I don't think I'll get my parents to change their minds. My father is pretty cheap and wants to save money, we could barely convince him to do this so were stuck.

One thing I know we will do is cancel the NHT in Denali and take a shuttle to Eilson instead, but I don't know how to go about that. Or if we will even have time?! I will try to find the more specific times for our itinerary after school.

Other than that what else can I do to make sure my family has a great time. I really want to make this great for them. What are good excursions and good tour companies that are reputable and safe? Are there any "secrets" like the shuttles-save money and do more? I have been researching the boards but between band and school I have little time.

Thank you! I appreciate any help you can give me!

We did a cruisetour on the Diamond and were happy with our choices. We booked all our tours independently but took advantage of their planning for getting from point A to B. For us (early 30's) it was a great introduction to Alaska and we we were able to sit back and relax for the travel planning and spend all our time planning our excursions. A lot of people will say DIY but we were very happy with the way we did it!

This is just another suggestion. We are picking up our rental van from Midnight Sun in Whittier (it is an extra $200) and heading straight to Seward. My plan is to be at the 9am tunnel and we booked a 12pm Kenai Fjords Tour. The Sealife Center is open from 9am-6:30pm. After your KFT you could drive up to Anchorage and spend the night. (or stay in seward and do the drive to Denali in 1 day-just a long drive)

The 15th you could drive up to Denali and make stops along the way, maybe do a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna or river rafting. The 16th do your shuttle tour into Denali. There is also geocatching or ATV tours in Healy that your brother might really enjoy. Then you can head back to Anchorage on the 17th and fly home. Good luck with everything!

I assume you mean Then 2 nights in Denali not Anchorage.

Normally I'd send a PM and suggest editing your post, if my assumption is correct. This board doesn't seem to allow PMs or editing your posts (after a few minutes).

This itinerary seems a lot more relaxed. I don't know how long before the agency starts to run out of vans. It might make sense to reserve the van sooner rather then later.

Yes, I do, thank you for correcting this. I value my accuracy. :)

We did a cruisetour on the Diamond and were happy with our choices. We booked all our tours independently but took advantage of their planning for getting from point A to B. For us (early 30's) it was a great introduction to Alaska and we we were able to sit back and relax for the travel planning and spend all our time planning our excursions. A lot of people will say DIY but we were very happy with the way we did it!

The big difference here with the OP, is this is a very poor itinerary. And not enough time. Their prioirty is Denali park, and this cruisetour, doesn't have ANY tour included. The only option for their priority is to go independent. (there has been no mention of any other cruisetour selection)

It was really a typo more then a real mistake. It's a shame there isn't an easy way to edit your post. Any other board I would have sent you an PM and you would have edited your post.

Yes, I do, thank you for correcting this. I value my accuracy. :)

The problem isn't the lack of a tour. Regulars on this board suggest getting a credit for even the TWT in favor of the less expensive shuttles. The problem is the cruisetour (probably) doesn't even offer enough time to go very far into the park. They arrive at night and leave after lunch the next day.

The big difference here with the OP, is this is a very poor itinerary. And not enough time. Their prioirty is Denali park, and this cruisetour, doesn't have ANY tour included. The only option for their priority is to go independent. (there has been no mention of any other cruisetour selection)

They can check other cruise tours but Princess likes to make sure their guests have the opportunity to not just enjoy the Denali Princess but also the McKinley Princess.

I like your alternate plan. It give the grandparents rail travel. Is dome service offered in the Whittier-Anchorage run?

This is just another suggestion. We are picking up our rental van from Midnight Sun in Whittier (it is an extra $200) and heading straight to Seward. My plan is to be at the 9am tunnel and we booked a 12pm Kenai Fjords Tour. The Sealife Center is open from 9am-6:30pm. After your KFT you could drive up to Anchorage and spend the night. (or stay in seward and do the drive to Denali in 1 day-just a long drive)

The 15th you could drive up to Denali and make stops along the way, maybe do a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna or river rafting. The 16th do your shuttle tour into Denali. There is also geocatching or ATV tours in Healy that your brother might really enjoy. Then you can head back to Anchorage on the 17th and fly home. Good luck with everything!

It looks like this it what we will be doing! Because of hotel availability and driving distances we came up with a new itinerary. Here it is

Disembark in Whittier. Either get our rental car there or take the shuttle up to anchorage. If we take the shuttle we pick up our van at 3 pm and explore anchorage. Or, if we rent our car there, we may do a PWS or kenai fjords tour and then drive up to anchorage. See the town, go to a museum, whatever. We will spend the night at the holiday inn in anchorage. That morning we will leave for Denali. Along the way we may stop at talkeetna, go flightseeing, or go to hatchers pass, or the matsunuka glacier, or maybe get to Denali early and go on an excursion there! Whatever everyone wants to do. Then we will stay in the princess lodge for two nights, go on the shuttle in denali, and spend the last day driving back to anchorage and stopping along the way.

Thank you for the advice everyone. Our hotels and car are booked and the princess land tour canceled! Two weeks ago I never would've thought I would be able to make this happen. I think this will be great! It does seem much more relaxed and enjoyable!! I will keep you posted! :)

You are to be congratulated for doing such an amazing job on your cruise/tour.

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to come back and post about your adventures. We would really like to hear about them.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

It looks like this it what we will be doing! Because of hotel availability and driving distances we came up with a new itinerary. Here it is

Disembark in Whittier. Either get our rental car there or take the shuttle up to anchorage. If we take the shuttle we pick up our van at 3 pm and explore anchorage. Or, if we rent our car there, we may do a PWS or kenai fjords tour and then drive up to anchorage. See the town, go to a museum, whatever. We will spend the night at the holiday inn in anchorage. That morning we will leave for Denali. Along the way we may stop at talkeetna, go flightseeing, or go to hatchers pass, or the matsunuka glacier, or maybe get to Denali early and go on an excursion there! Whatever everyone wants to do. Then we will stay in the princess lodge for two nights, go on the shuttle in denali, and spend the last day driving back to anchorage and stopping along the way.

Thank you for the advice everyone. Our hotels and car are booked and the princess land tour canceled! Two weeks ago I never would've thought I would be able to make this happen. I think this will be great! It does seem much more relaxed and enjoyable!! I will keep you posted! :)

You are a rare poster. Very few people are willing to jump in, and change bad selections. Many give that "all the more reason to return to Alaska", comment. I say, live for today, and don't compromise, don't spend your money on something that doesn't give you the whole package. :) Have a great trip.

Now to throw in another idea: If your grandparents wanted to ride the train, they could take a PWS cruise on the 14th, then take the train to Anchorage where the rest of you could pick them up. Or you could all do that, but I'm not sure how that would affect your rental car...are you picking it up at the airport or at another location?

• 3 months later...

Hello again everyone... I just wanted to update everyone on what we finally decided...

We leave for our cruise TONIGHT!!! :) :) I am so excited!

Here is a rough outline of our itinerary...

We are driving up to Chicago tonight, spending the night, getting on our plane to Vancouver tomorrow morning. Then we will board the Diamond Princess. The next day is a sea day. We are not doing any excursions in Ketchikan, just walking around, maybe going to Totem Bight, etc.

In Juneau we are whale watching with Harv and Marv (so excited for our private boat!!) and then in Skagway we are going on the 7.5 hour train/bus trip with Chilkoot Charters.

We disembark in Whittier and use the Whittier Shuttle service (makes a few stops including the Wildlife Conservation Center!) to get to Anchorage. We are renting a seven passenger van from Midnight Sun Rentals and we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express (for free because of dad's work). That night we will relax, eat dinner, look around town, maybe go on the Coastal trail or to a museum.

The next morning we leave to go to Denali. Along the way we are going to Independence Mine to look around for a few hours. Depending on when we get to Denali, we may do some hiking, relax, swim, etc. We are staying at the Denali Princess Lodge.

The next day we are booked on a shuttle to Wonder Lake (but will get off early depending on how we feel/the weather) and stay another night at Princess. really hoping to see some animals!!

The next day we may catch the 10 o'clock sled dog demonstration before heading back to Anchorage for our flight home.

So thankful we canceled our cruise tour and we now have the flexibility and time to explore Alaska as much as we can (for almost half the price!!!). Thank you to everyone who helped us make this decision. When I get back I will do a review with lots of pictures! :)

Wow...how awesome of you for taking on this project to get the most enjoyment out of your visit to Alaska. This trip will probably whet your appetite to go back some day and explore at your will.

Kudos , as another poster said, for having the maturity and determination to make this a memorable vacation for your family. It doesn't look like your grandma is getting her dome train ride. I hope she's not too disappointed.

We will be following you on the Coral Princess on Monday!:)

Enjoy your trip and take lots of photos!

Archived