Carnival Triumph 5 Day Review with PICS - May 17-22, Spring Break 2012

hdm_21

Day 5 - March 21, 2012 - Fun Day at Sea

This day was bittersweet. We slept in until 9 am, then went up to the Lido deck to eat breakfast. We tried so hard to soak in every last moment of relaxation as this was our last full day on the ship.

We sat in our chairs on the balcony for a few hours reading, listening to music, talking, listening to the water, and relaxing. At 1:30, we decided to eat lunch - Lido deck again.

The Game of Love started at 2:15. This was the Newlywed-not-so-Newlywed game that I had been looking forward to. It was hilarious! Word to the wise: if you get picked to go onstage and compete, the husbands all undress down to their boxers at the end and dance for the women. Fun times, but maybe not something everyone would be willing to do! :o They asked the usual questions, but there were some unique answers so I don't think it was staged. Tex was always sure to tell us the best answers he's heard on each question.

We then went back to our room to pack up our bags for pickup. Around 3:30 we decided to get ready for dinner. We saw in the Fun Times a "Fun Farewell" at 5:00 pm in the Club Rio Lounge. We decided to check it out and turns out it was unlimited free drinks for all and live music. There weren't many people at all! I'm guessing no one else knew what it was.

We went to dinner at 6:00. My husband had the Ceasar's Salad and Veal. I had the fruit dish and steak. All was delicious as usual. We handed our waiters $24 to split among themselves (there were three and this was in addition to our prepaid gratuities) at the end of our dinner. They all seemed grateful.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We then headed to the Family Friendly Comedy with Tim Young at 7:30. He was a funny guy, but not the funniest I've ever seen. It seemed like he was unprepared and he didn't talk very loud. The room was standing room only, so we were at the very back of the room and could barely hear.

We then went to the Rome Lounge (8:15 or so) to get good seats for The Big Easy vegas-style show which started at 9:00. We didn't want a repeat of the magic show (bad seats). It was wonderful and our seats were excellent! I loved everything about this show. Great music, dance, culture, singing, etc.

ry%3D400

Finally, we headed to our stateroom and put our luggage out in the hallway for pickup. Don't forget to leave out your birth certificate/passport, driver's license, and customs form!

We went to the Club Rio Lounge to watch Adults Only Comedy with Tommy Drake. We got there as Tim Young was ending his show, so we were able to get good seats as people were leaving. Tommy Drake was hilarious--I highly recommend seeing his show. I wish we had seen his family-friendly version as well.

Day 6 - March 22, 2012 - Arrive in Galveston/Head Home!!!

We woke up early thinking we would be able to leave early (not sure why!), but we were Zone 18, which was scheduled to disembark at 9:50 am. This was almost the exact time we got off of the ship.

We had plenty of time to eat breakfast on the Lido deck and go back to get our bags.

We did not get out of the cruise terminal, however, until around 11 am. The lines at Customs were taking forever, but we were never at a complete standstill for more than a minute at a time. Once we got out of the terminal, we walked across the street, got in our car, and drove down to Seawall Drive to eat at Salsa's (recommended by locals). We were impressed!

We then got gas (for $3.89/gallon!!!! :eek:) and started the long drive back to Arkansas. Overall, this cruise was the best one yet! We've only done 4-days in the past and both agree that 5 days is the perfect amount of time. We were ready to be home.

A few other tips:

Bring lots of $1 bills. We brought 100 of them and it was great for tipping and various things.

Bring lots of $5 bills. We didn't bring ANY and regretted that decision in Progreso. They don't like to make change (especially in the flea market) so many times they just tried to keep the extra we paid them as a "tip". Ha!

If you want to keep your balcony door wide open for an extended period of time, you will need a bungee cord as the door pulls itself shut.

There was no need for a magnet to keep the air going if your door was open.

Ask someone the first day about the galley tour if you are interested. They never posted it in the Fun Times, but I know they had to have done them! I was really looking forward to it, but sadly never got to go.

This concludes my review--if you have any questions, just ask!

OP- you mentioned their macaroni and cheese a couple times. Is it on their menu? I think my kids and myself would like to try it. I loved reading your review! One of the best I've seen of the Triumph. We will be on her next month. Now I am more excited than ever. Thanks!

OP- Loved, Loved Loved your review. We sail in April and your post is just what I needed. :p

Love the food pic's and the one of your cabin. I could find our balcony and was wondering about the life boats. Not a problem.

Thanks again for the great review and Pic's.

Glad to hear you had a great cruise.

Keep cruising with a positve attitude.:p

OP- you mentioned their macaroni and cheese a couple times. Is it on their menu? I think my kids and myself would like to try it. I loved reading your review! One of the best I've seen of the Triumph. We will be on her next month. Now I am more excited than ever. Thanks!

The macaroni and cheese was not on the menu except for one night (4th night, I believe). I had read on CC that you could order from the kids menu if you wanted and one person had ordered JUST mac n cheese. I didn't want to go that far, but I did just simply ask for it on the side and they were perfectly okay with it.

We sail her for the 2nd time in 2 weeks! I sure was hoping it had gone thru a refurb! My kids ordered mac & cheese for a starter every night. Not the bacon one but the regular one. We all order mashed potatoes every night too because they are amazing!! My dad and hubby ordered 3 lobsters and by the 3rd one they could not eat it all. Looking forward to my cruise so thanks for the review!

Thank you so much for your great review! We are sailing on the Triumph April 9th and our cabin is right where yours was - 8422- I am looking forward to having the easy access to the buffet to bring the food down and eat on our balcony...we have a premium balcony for the very first time. I did want to ask, even though you mentioned there was no sun on your balcony, was it warm enough to sit out there early in the morning? Also, the pool directly above our room..is it adult only? My 11 yr old gets very uncomfortable at the main pool with the contests and drinking/loudness going on, so much so that he didnt go near the pools on his 1st cruise but on his last one on NCL they had an awesome pool for the kids on the back of the ship and he LOVED it, slides and all...just didn't want to break any "rules" lol. I have to comment on Progresso, we also went to that flea market and actually had one of the vendors follow me out of their booth and grabbing my arm when I didn't buy anything:eek: . We ended up going out by the fountain to a restaurant right across the street..I don't recall the name (I think it was a blue building) But had drinks and lunch..very casual but alot of people from the ship and great music! We actually ate outside..I don't think I will take my son off of the pier on this trip ( my husband and I were alone the last time there)..he can shop at enough places close to the ship. Thanks again for your review..it made me feel as if I was there:)

Thank you so much for your great review! We are sailing on the Triumph April 9th and our cabin is right where yours was - 8422- I am looking forward to having the easy access to the buffet to bring the food down and eat on our balcony...we have a premium balcony for the very first time. I did want to ask, even though you mentioned there was no sun on your balcony, was it warm enough to sit out there early in the morning? Also, the pool directly above our room..is it adult only? My 11 yr old gets very uncomfortable at the main pool with the contests and drinking/loudness going on, so much so that he didnt go near the pools on his 1st cruise but on his last one on NCL they had an awesome pool for the kids on the back of the ship and he LOVED it, slides and all...just didn't want to break any "rules" lol. I have to comment on Progresso, we also went to that flea market and actually had one of the vendors follow me out of their booth and grabbing my arm when I didn't buy anything:eek: . We ended up going out by the fountain to a restaurant right across the street..I don't recall the name (I think it was a blue building) But had drinks and lunch..very casual but alot of people from the ship and great music! We actually ate outside..I don't think I will take my son off of the pier on this trip ( my husband and I were alone the last time there)..he can shop at enough places close to the ship. Thanks again for your review..it made me feel as if I was there:)

Actually, early in the morning was the only time where the sun was able to shine in on our balcony. Yes, it was plenty warm! You will LOVE your room. I was quite jealous of your balcony....:p The pool on the end was not adults only that I am aware of. Every time I went back there, it was mostly kids. That pool is way less crowded, though. Many times, it was empty. There is a slide on the Triumph, but nothing compared to the Carnival WaterWorks area on the Fantasy that we went on in 2009.

I love your Progreso flea market story! Reminded me of two incidents we had. First, a guy told us, "One dollar! One dollar sunglasses! Come look." I said, "One dollar?" He said, "Yes." I said, "Really?" He said, "Yes." So of course, I stopped and looked. I picked a pair and got a dollar to give him, then he said, "No, one dollar OFF. 20 dollars." I knew the deal was too good to be true, but I was still offended that he deceived me.

Immediately after that, we walked at lightening speed to get out of there. On our way, a man called out, "Sir, you dropped something. Sir! You dropped something!" We stopped and looked back. My husband walked over to see what he dropped, and the man had nothing in his hand but was pulling us over to look at his stuff for sale. My husband is a super good guy and actually stopped to look at the man's things...but he later told me, I wanted to say, "Sure, I'll look. But I will NOT buy anything." He wasn't too happy with that guy.

Actually, early in the morning was the only time where the sun was able to shine in on our balcony. Yes, it was plenty warm! You will LOVE your room. I was quite jealous of your balcony....:p The pool on the end was not adults only that I am aware of. Every time I went back there, it was mostly kids. That pool is way less crowded, though. Many times, it was empty. There is a slide on the Triumph, but nothing compared to the Carnival WaterWorks area on the Fantasy that we went on in 2009.

I love your Progreso flea market story! Reminded me of two incidents we had. First, a guy told us, "One dollar! One dollar sunglasses! Come look." I said, "One dollar?" He said, "Yes." I said, "Really?" He said, "Yes." So of course, I stopped and looked. I picked a pair and got a dollar to give him, then he said, "No, one dollar OFF. 20 dollars." I knew the deal was too good to be true, but I was still offended that he deceived me.

Immediately after that, we walked at lightening speed to get out of there. On our way, a man called out, "Sir, you dropped something. Sir! You dropped something!" We stopped and looked back. My husband walked over to see what he dropped, and the man had nothing in his hand but was pulling us over to look at his stuff for sale. My husband is a super good guy and actually stopped to look at the man's things...but he later told me, I wanted to say, "Sure, I'll look. But I will NOT buy anything." He wasn't too happy with that guy.

Thank you so much for your response :) . We are so excited about the balcony! I will probably hang out at the aft pool for the most part ...between the quieter area, pizza and ice cream, I cant imagine my son or husband wanting to venture further lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on the ship by 12:45 pm. We walked around and got to know the ship until 1:30 when our room was ready. Our room was 8-418 (aft, port side).

:) Great Review!!

We will be in room 8418 in just a couple of weeks!!! Was so glad to see the pics. Last time we were on the Triumph, we had room 8422 (right next door to 8418) and it was a totally awesome room!!! Wishing now, we had booked it again -- but were trying to save some $$$ The overhang from Lido is really great as balcony cover. We were able to sit out on our balcony during a rain storm and never got wet. Glad you had a good time!!

• 1 month later...

Great review! We were on the Triumph last month and will be on her again in September. The beach you were on in Cozumel, is it by the pier? Where and how do you get to it? Taking my granddaughters this time and don't really want to leave the pier area with them. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

By far the best review ever seen, so detailed! I cruise 4-3-14 on the triumph and this is my first cruise ever! I'm so excited, I just hope my suitcase isn't too big. Ha, my only worry. Lol. And what is the customs work you were talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums