Passport Card

Alaska_2012

I just want to triple check on this before our appointment at the passport office. We are taking a round-trip cruise to Alaska from Vancouver. We are flying into Seattle and will take the train to Vancouver. We will also need the passport/card for driving into the Yukon.

I am fully aware that with the passport card we cannot fly should there be a medical emergency. Other than that, is there any reason we would have trouble with the passport card? We do not travel often and this is our "bucket list" trip. We are talking about a $300 plus difference so I only want to get the actual passport if absolutely necessary. I realize they are good for ten years but at this time I would like to go with the cheaper option if possible. Thanks!

I don't know which cruise line your doing the Alaska cruise on.

On the Princess excursion site the tour into the Yukon

says "Passport Required" . I would check the cruise line site if they give

any info. My feeling is that the passport is the safest thing to carry.

Other people will probably dis agree but that's my thought on the matter.

Sorry, we are going on Holland America. During online check-in there is a place to put a passport card number. I called customer service and she also stated that the passport card is acceptable. I am just curious to hear about personal experiences. Thanks!

You will have no trouble with a passport card except for the one issue that you have identified. Frankly we often use a NEXUS card and while that puts cruise lines into a bit of spin....it is perfectly acceptable.

For your cruise a passport card is perfectly fine, for both the cruise and land border crossings. You have already stated that you are not interested in a full passport for a couple of reasons and that you understand the risks, so there is no reason for posters to try and convince you otherwise.

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_uspc.html

Of course for an Alaskan cruise no passport is required to fly home because you will be flying out of the US, except while you are in Vancouver. A passport card will be just fine because it is designed for land entry from the US to Canada.

As a Canadian I have no:cool: choice but a passport . We now have Nexus cards

but they aren't good for air travel. They are mainly to cross the border by car.

Where did you come up with that idea???....there are NEXUS kiosks at all major Canadian airports and can be used for flying to the US or returning to Canada. They can be used for air, marine and land crossings. Here is a link for your information:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/nexus.xml

A passport card eliminates the possibility of flying in (or out of) Vancouver. You said you plan on flying out of Seattle but as a result of a schedule change, weather or other issues you otherwise might be able to move your flight to Vancouver. Obviously not an issue if you're flying with an airline like Southwest.

Even then if your flight is cancelled (mechanical issue) and you need to book your own airfare having the option of flying directly to Vancouver may have some value.

In your case a real passport isn't absolutely necessary. A passport makes it possible for you to book a travelzoo (or other) promotional deal with short notice.

Archived