GTEE Concierge upgrade, OR keep "Sweet 16" cabin? What to do?

can'tcatchup

For our cruise on post-drydock Millennium in May, we are booked in one of the Sweet 16 cabins on deck 6, which I understand are twice as deep/long as other deluxe oceanview balcony cabins.

Now we have an offer of a Concierge class guarantee, cabin to be determined by Celebrity.

Our dilemna is deciding whether to give up our "twice as big" balcony for the just slightly larger CC cabin, with just normal sized balcony. Deciding whether the extra CC amenities is worth taking the risk of a smaller balcony & maybe even getting one of the "partially obstructed view" balconies (cabins 8047 - 8054)

Any advice, or thoughts? I know in the end, I have to decide, but what would you do?

While we enjoyed the CC benefits on the Summit (extra cruise credit, enhanced room service menu), I preferred the larger balcony on the Millie. We do spend a fair amount of time on the balcony, so for us, when we sail the M class ships, we always try to book the sweet 16s.

We are probably on the same cruise (5/12/12) and we made the swap. We have DOVV 7175 and upgraded to a guarantee CC. We got 8051, which is listed as obstructed. We want the extra Captains' Club point so we're staying put.

We are probably on the same cruise (5/12/12) and we made the swap. We have DOVV 7175 and upgraded to a guarantee CC. We got 8051, which is listed as obstructed. We want the extra Captains' Club point so we're staying put.

Hi,

Since you have your cabin allocated you can change to Another cabin in that category, 8145 is available. Also, and I know it is a handicap accessible cabin. #9164 aft is available, with the sailing being this close and with it being a relocation it is unlikely to be filled other than by an upgrade or being aLlocated as a GTY CC.

Edited by swigso

While we enjoyed the CC benefits on the Summit (extra cruise credit, enhanced room service menu), I preferred the larger balcony on the Millie. We do spend a fair amount of time on the balcony, so for us, when we sail the M class ships, we always try to book the sweet 16s.

I take it you're saying that for you the sweet 16 balcony far outweighs the other benefits that CC provides.

Online it says the CC balconies are 41 square feet & DOVV are 38 sq ft. Since you've sailed in the sweet 16, can you verify their balconies really are almost double that size?

Thanks to all who mentioned the extra Captain's Club credit. I'd completely forgotten to take that into consideration.

Patty1955, yep, the same cruise. I recognize your name from the roll call (where I got no response to this issue. I guess there are too many other "important" topics to bother. [G])

My decision would be easier if I were in a normal sized DOVV balcony. I wouldn't think twice about accepting the free CC upgrade. I honestly don't know how much time I'll spend on the balcony, but not sure that I should give up the nice one I have for the amenities & a just slightly larger cabin in CC.

Hi,

Since you have your cabin allocated you can change to Another cabin in that category, 8145 is available. Also, and I know it is a handicap accessible cabin. #9164 aft is available, with the sailing being this close and with it being a relocation it is unlikely to be filled other than by an upgrade or being aLlocated as a GTY CC.

Is that a general rule, or just when you've booked without a travel agent? Reason I ask is when telling me about the GTY CC, my agent (a popular online one to these boards) pretty much indicated that once I accept, I'm "stuck with" Celebrity's assignment.

So far, the consensus seems to be nearly 100% that most would not take the CC gty upgrade. Anyone else care to respond. I'm weighing everything until tomorrow when I have to make the decision. :) Thanks for all responses thus far!!!

Here's a link to photos of the sweet 16 on Infinity (same as the other M-class ships). You will see the size difference for yourself. They are not wider, but much longer.

http://community.webshots.com/album/373703105pTDiwq

OH, thank YOU!!!!! Are these your own pictures? They're great! I'd seen one of them posted before, but not any of the rest. Question: it looks to me like despite the size, only deck chairs & a table are set up on these balconies. Yet in the pictures, I thought I spied a chaise lounge type chair on a couple balconies (not the deluxe-padded/covered type, but just plain old chaise). Do you suppose the people in these cabins made a special request?

Also, when I read the promotional stuff online, it advertises "veranda with lounge seating" for both deluxe oceanview balcony & CC. Maybe my idea of "lounge seating" and Celebrity's differ.

I hate to be a bother, but would you have a general estimate of the dimensions of the sweet 16 balcony compared to regular ones?

THANKS again!

I never bothered to measure the balcony, but I am very confident in saying that it is at least 3' longer than the standard balconies, same width.

We asked out cabin attendant for two loungers when we first arrived, and they were on the balcony when we returned from dinner.

We had an oversized balcony as well. The main reason we switched to CC was for the extra point for Captain's Club. After this, it's only one more cruise to Elite. We also liked the extras that came with the CC. Flowers, appetizers, priority embarkation, etc.. If we had to pay extra for the room, we probably wouldn't have, but we booked on board our last cruise and paid for a 2c cabin, so this is a double upgrade

The sweet 16 cabins are also 2C, and our upgrade would be an XC, which could end up being C3, C2, or C1.

Ozzmund, I'll check the balcony when we board after we're permitted in the rooms, and if there is no "lounge seating"; I'll ask our cabin steward if he might get us 2. Did you tip him for that right then and there, or consider that when you tipped at the end of the cruise?

(The above assuming we won't take the gty CC.)

Edited by can'tcatchup

Is that a general rule' date=' or just when you've booked without a travel agent? Reason I ask is when telling me about the GTY CC, my agent (a popular online one to these boards) pretty much indicated that once I accept, I'm "stuck with" Celebrity's assignment.[/quote']

Either way, with a TA or Celebrity direct. You can change your cabin in the same cat. as what you were assigned. You must wait till the cabin has been assigned but then go for it. If your TA says No, you can't, then tell them you want a three way call and hear it from Celebrity that you can not. They will then change the cabin for you. Just check to see what ones are available before you call your TA so that you can tell them which one you want.

Laura

Surprised not to have seen this mentioned. The cabins in CC are 15% larger than yours, which made a decided difference to us. Personally I would MUCH rather have the space inside, where I am sure to use it, plus the additional amenities, vs extra balcony space that I may or may not use. You can only sit in two chairs at a time no matter how large your balcony is.

I would take the CC, but I am one who thinks the "little extras" are what sometimes makes all the difference. I love my nightly apps, my bottle of champagne, the fresh flowers, the nicer robes and the isotonic pillow. I just like the little extras. I've had lots of big balconies and though certainly nice, I like the larger interior and the extras more. Plus for me the extra point would factor in for sure....good luck with your decision!

Thank you to all who gave their opinions. Haven't decided for sure yet, but leaning toward keeping the large balcony as I don't think well want to sit around inside much when we're in the cabin & space doesn't matter when we're zzzz-ing.

Still, one never knows, our decision could change before day's end.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to check back this afternoon in case there are any further helpful comments.

Thank you to all who gave their opinions. Haven't decided for sure yet' date=' but leaning toward keeping the large balcony as I don't think well want to sit around inside much when we're in the cabin & space doesn't matter when we're zzzz-ing.

Still, one never knows, our decision could change before day's end.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to check back this afternoon in case there are any further helpful comments.[/quote']

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Laura

• 5 years later...

Hi Patty1956,

I know it's been a few years, but do you recall if Celebrity Summit #8051 mentioned above, was actually an obstructed view? We are booked into that cabin in a few weeks, and was wondering...

Thanks!