Shore excursions for handicapped

wripro

Hi all,

Does anyone know any operators who provide shore excursions in the usual Alaskan ports for handicapped people? This person uses a wheel chair but can walk a little. I'd appreciate any information anyone might have.

Thanks.

The White Pass and Yukon Route train is definitely fully accessible but I am not aware of any other private operators. DW can walk a bit and can handle a few steps into a bus or van so we make out quite well as long as she can bring along her folding wheelchair. You will find that most of the ports are fairly accessible.

White Pass Railway in Skagway (they have special train cars with lifts - be sure when you board the ship that the excursion desk is well aware of the need for the train car with the lift).

Tram in Juneau - no need for advance tickets or reservations. You can buy tickets when you get to the tram station ... easy roll on to the tram and same when exiting. Our friend was let on first, then others boarded. Very smooth and level ride (tram car stays level as it goes up the mountain, is not going up at an angle).

Alaska tour vendors are extremely resourceful and helpful. I would instead, look over a shore excursion list, and narrow down your interests. THEN see if it's an option to do them. Select 2 or 3 in each port. I would suggest, independent, then, contact the vendor's directly and disclose all your details, and see what you can come up with.

The train and the tram sound good :)

You can also check your cruiselines excursions, they usually have some for wheelchairs etc, "accessible"

You can call the special needs dept of your cruise line in advance too...and work with them to find some options

hth

Archived