Manly or Bondi Beach?

MJC

If you have time to do both Bondi and Manly the cliff top walk (which is not strenuous) between Bondi Beach and Bronte is absolutely wonderful.

I agree - especially if you do the coastal walk when they are showcasing sculpture by the sea. In 2012 it is 18 October to 4 November.

Colleen

I agree - especially if you do the coastal walk when they are showcasing sculpture by the sea. In 2012 it is 18 October to 4 November.

Colleen

Sculpture + beach, my two favorite things. Oh, man, now I have to figure out how to squeeze that into our 3 days in Sydney!

How long should two fit middle-agers budget for the cliff walk?

Sculpture + beach, my two favorite things. Oh, man, now I have to figure out how to squeeze that into our 3 days in Sydney!

How long should two fit middle-agers budget for the cliff walk?

A couple of hours for a leisurely walk from North Bondi along Bondi Beach to Bronte, with time to admire the sculptures, and a drink at the end.

I recommend stopping at Icebergs, Bondi Beach for a drink/something to eat, en route.

http://icebergs.com.au/

http://short-walks.com.au/new-south-wales/sydney/bondi-to-bronte-walk/

As suggested by rugbypopsie, "Welcome to Sydney" packs would be a good idea. In the meantime, you can walk from OPT, Circular Quay to The Rocks Sydney Visitor Centre nearby to collect as many brochures on Sydney (and elsewhere in NSW) as you want.

• 4 weeks later...

DH and I spent 5 days in Sydney pre-cruise in Feb. Since we spent one day in the Blue Mts., another seeing an opera, etc. we only had time for one beach. Several locals, including the stewardess on our Qantas flight, suggested Manly. As others have posted, the ferry ride ($14 RT) was amazing, and locals onboard were very friendly. DH especially enjoyed a political discussion with a Manly Beach resident. We walked one long block, lined with shops and eateries, (the ice cream at Copenhagen was very good) and then found ourselves at the beach. The fine powdery sand was delightful to walk through. We rented chaise lounges, ($15 for the day) and experienced what can only be described as a sneak preview of heaven.

Harriet

Harriett, that sounds like just what we're looking for. :) We'll be jet-lagged our first day, and looking for an easy start to our vacation. Ice cream, yum!

Everyone is raving about the ferry ride to and from Manly and seeing the Opera House from the water but if we are sailing into and out of Sydney on our cruise ship won't we have the same view?

(Only have 2 days in Sydney and one of them will be in the Blue Mountains so trying to cram as much as possible into the other one.)

Everyone is raving about the ferry ride to and from Manly and seeing the Opera House from the water but if we are sailing into and out of Sydney on our cruise ship won't we have the same view?

(Only have 2 days in Sydney and one of them will be in the Blue Mountains so trying to cram as much as possible into the other one.)

Hi, glad you are coming to visit. There have been a lot of posts in CC about things to do with limited time in Sydney..in my opinion and that of many others spending a whole day going to the Blue Mountains is a mistake. If the weather is good the view is good, however you will spend many hours on a bus going through very uninteresting suburbs to get there.

If your time in Sydney is measured in a few days you should make the most of what this beautiful city has to offer. Re the Manly Ferry (you can also get all day pass to all ferries, buses and trains) yes you can see the Opera House from the ship but there is nothing to match being down at water level feeling the pulse of a city whose beating heart is the harbour.

Sue

snip..(Only have 2 days in Sydney and one of them will be in the Blue Mountains so trying to cram as much as possible into the other one.)

Chamina, We´re in Sydney a couple of days pre cruise next year, who did you choose for the Blue Mountains trip. There are so many operators, I got confused

Sandy in Spain

Chamina, We´re in Sydney a couple of days pre cruise next year, who did you choose for the Blue Mountains trip. There are so many operators, I got confused

Sandy in Spain

We hadn't chosen an operator yet, I was leaning towards http://www.bluemountainsdaytour.com/

because they go to the Featherdale Wildlife Park but now, after rugbypopsie's post I'm confused about whether we should just stay in Sydney.

This is the description of the day tour:

Our quality Sydney day tours provide the utmost value for your money, including an action packed itinerary which has garnered the praise of all who take part. Be transported from the centre of Sydney into the heart of the enchanting Blue Mountains for a great adventure. Visit Featherdale Wildlife Park to see up close native Kangaroos and Koalas from Australia, view the Three Sisters rock formation at Katoomba, ride the Scenicsender and Skyway (not included). Your day tour includes a guided walk in the Blue Mountains National Park, Wentworth Falls and more. Leave the magnificent Blue Mountains, crossing the Nepean River, and wind down with a relaxing river cruise from Olympic Park at Homebush along the Parramatta River, under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and back to Circular Quay. We offer great prices, experienced and friendly guides, for award winning Sydney day tours. Don't miss out on this educational and action-packed day tour when visiting Australia.

I dont want to dismay you, quite the opposite..I want you to have the best time possible in Sydney and lots of bang for your bucks! If you had a week I would say the Blue Mountains are worth a look..but two days..no way...soo what would I suggest.

First off Sydney is ALL about the Harbour so lets start there. The Historic Rocks area is right adjacent to the Overseas Passenger Terminal..stroll around and learn something of Australias early history as a British colony..cost free. If you are here on Sunday there are excellent markets.

Close to the Rocks in still on the Harbour edge walk around to the Opera House and do a tour of this iconic building..or simply stroll around the forecourt for free. After touring the Opera House you could choose to walk around the harbour foreshore to Mrs. Macquaries chair..lovely flat walk past the Botanic Gardens also FREE. You could then choose to have a look at the NSW Art Gallery and stop off at the Sydney Museum on the way back to the Quay.

You might need a little rest after the walking so while you are in the area of Circular Quay catch a ferry to Manly for lunch..admiring all the harbourside close up on the way..lots of choices over there..walk from the beach around to Fairy Bower for a coffee..not sure what the current ferry price is buts its not much..perhaps a little souvenir shopping in the Manly village area and then back onto the ferry to Circular Quay.

From Circular Quay you can purchase a ferry ride around to the tourist area of Darling Harbour...apart from lots of shops and restaurants there is the Maritime Museum with some warships you can look over and if you want to see Australian Wildlife or sea creatures Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium are in this area.

Hop on the monorail which will take you up into the central business district..you should visit Centrepoint Tower for a 360 degree view over the city and harbour and also they have a virtual tour of Australia ride which is great fun and will show you some places you wont get to on this visit.

Dont know how energetic you are but the stand out place not to miss for me is the cliff top walk from Bondi Beach the bus leaves from Circular Quay regularly. There are very few steps but the views of the ocean from the walk are unbelieveable..and you get to see Bondi Beach and some other of our lesser known beaches as a bonus.

Consider buying an all day pass to public transport which covers all buses trains and ferries..I have only scratched the surface with some things to consider..I haven't mentioned the bridge climb..opportunity of a lifetime if you have a head for heights..whale watching, sea plane ride...the list is endless.

Hope you can see why I am always dismayed that visitors are steered towards the Blue Mountains and miss out of so much more..but its just my opinion as a "local" these are the things I would show my friends visiting from overseas.

Sue

I dont want to dismay you, quite the opposite..I want you to have the best time possible in Sydney and lots of bang for your bucks! If you had a week I would say the Blue Mountains are worth a look..but two days..no way...soo what would I suggest.

First off Sydney is ALL about the Harbour so lets start there. The Historic Rocks area is right adjacent to the Overseas Passenger Terminal..stroll around and learn something of Australias early history as a British colony..cost free. If you are here on Sunday there are excellent markets.

Close to the Rocks in still on the Harbour edge walk around to the Opera House and do a tour of this iconic building..or simply stroll around the forecourt for free. After touring the Opera House you could choose to walk around the harbour foreshore to Mrs. Macquaries chair..lovely flat walk past the Botanic Gardens also FREE. You could then choose to have a look at the NSW Art Gallery and stop off at the Sydney Museum on the way back to the Quay.

You might need a little rest after the walking so while you are in the area of Circular Quay catch a ferry to Manly for lunch..admiring all the harbourside close up on the way..lots of choices over there..walk from the beach around to Fairy Bower for a coffee..not sure what the current ferry price is buts its not much..perhaps a little souvenir shopping in the Manly village area and then back onto the ferry to Circular Quay.

From Circular Quay you can purchase a ferry ride around to the tourist area of Darling Harbour...apart from lots of shops and restaurants there is the Maritime Museum with some warships you can look over and if you want to see Australian Wildlife or sea creatures Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium are in this area.

Hop on the monorail which will take you up into the central business district..you should visit Centrepoint Tower for a 360 degree view over the city and harbour and also they have a virtual tour of Australia ride which is great fun and will show you some places you wont get to on this visit.

Dont know how energetic you are but the stand out place not to miss for me is the cliff top walk from Bondi Beach the bus leaves from Circular Quay regularly. There are very few steps but the views of the ocean from the walk are unbelieveable..and you get to see Bondi Beach and some other of our lesser known beaches as a bonus.

Consider buying an all day pass to public transport which covers all buses trains and ferries..I have only scratched the surface with some things to consider..I haven't mentioned the bridge climb..opportunity of a lifetime if you have a head for heights..whale watching, sea plane ride...the list is endless.

Hope you can see why I am always dismayed that visitors are steered towards the Blue Mountains and miss out of so much more..but its just my opinion as a "local" these are the things I would show my friends visiting from overseas.

Sue

Sue

Thank you SO MUCH for the advice! Just what I was looking for!

I'll print it out and take it with us.

We're in Sydney on a Monday and Tuesday.

The all day pass for the public transport sounds perfect! We're not museum people - much rather be outdoors so the ferry to Manly and the cliff top walk from Bondi sound wonderful. We used to be long walkers but my husband has back problems lately - how long is the cliff top walk?

I dont want to dismay you, quite the opposite..I want you to have the best time possible in Sydney and lots of bang for your bucks! If you had a week I would say the Blue Mountains are worth a look..but two days..no way...soo what would I suggest........

........Hope you can see why I am always dismayed that visitors are steered towards the Blue Mountains and miss out of so much more..but its just my opinion as a "local" these are the things I would show my friends visiting from overseas.

Sue

Well said Sue, we need to promote SYDNEY. Blue Mtns on a 1 day visit is too risky.

We hadn't chosen an operator yet, I was leaning towards http://www.bluemountainsdaytour.com/

because they go to the Featherdale Wildlife Park but now, after rugbypopsie's post I'm confused about whether we should just stay in Sydney.

This is the description of the day tour:

Our quality Sydney day tours provide the utmost value for your money, including an action packed itinerary which has garnered the praise of all who take part. Be transported from the centre of Sydney into the heart of the enchanting Blue Mountains for a great adventure. Visit Featherdale Wildlife Park to see up close native Kangaroos and Koalas from Australia, view the Three Sisters rock formation at Katoomba, ride the Scenicsender and Skyway (not included). Your day tour includes a guided walk in the Blue Mountains National Park, Wentworth Falls and more. Leave the magnificent Blue Mountains, crossing the Nepean River, and wind down with a relaxing river cruise from Olympic Park at Homebush along the Parramatta River, under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and back to Circular Quay. We offer great prices, experienced and friendly guides, for award winning Sydney day tours. Don't miss out on this educational and action-packed day tour when visiting Australia.

This is pretty well the itinerary of all the tour operators in Sydney.

Most go up and back the same way - along a fairly plain highway that has major roadworks on it at present adding extra (sometimes 1 hour) travel time.

Regarding seeing the same sights on the ship when you enter or leave is not quite true as many times the ship arrives before sun rise - depends ojn the cruise.

This is the link to the brochure about the walk...you will also find some other useful information on this site. You dont have to do the whole walk you can catch a bus back from Bronte Beach.

http://www.thesydneyvisitor.com/Bondi%20to%20Coogee%20Walk%20Map.pdf

We want you to have a good time and tell your friends to come and visit too. Perhaps you might want to blog "48 hours in Sydney" and then post a link so other cruisers can get some ideas.

By the way...there is a lot more than I didn't mention and you could do it ALL with the exception of the bridge climb and the seaplane ride for the cost of a bus trip to the Blue Mountains.

snip..First off Sydney is ALL about the Harbour so lets start there. The Historic Rocks area is right adjacent to the Overseas Passenger Terminal..stroll around and learn something of Australias early history as a British colony..cost free. If you are here on Sunday there are excellent markets. We stayed at a hotel in the Rocks area that backed onto a heritage museum. When we first looked out of the hotel window and saw these old backyards with tatty washing hanging out we wondered what we had let ourselves in for! The area was fascinating and we enjoyed the Rocks Market

Close to the Rocks in still on the Harbour edge walk around to the Opera House and do a tour of this iconic building..or simply stroll around the forecourt for free. After touring the Opera House you could choose to walk around the harbour foreshore to Mrs. Macquaries chair..lovely flat walk past the Botanic Gardens also FREE. You could then choose to have a look at the NSW Art Gallery and stop off at the Sydney Museum on the way back to the Quay. We did this last time and thoroughly enjoyed it Loved the Botanic gardens (there was a wedding when we visited) the bats, the birds and of course the plants and views. Walking round the Opera House saying are we really HERE was great. It was nice just sitting in the gardens by Circ Quay, eating a pie and watching the entertainers and watching the world go by

You might need a little rest after the walking so while you are in the area of Circular Quay catch a ferry to Manly for lunch..admiring all the harbourside close up on the way..lots of choices over there..walk from the beach around to Fairy Bower for a coffee..not sure what the current ferry price is buts its not much..perhaps a little souvenir shopping in the Manly village area and then back onto the ferry to Circular Quay. Manly visit planned for March 2013 when we are next over and my souvenir from Circ Quay was a pair of opal earrings

From Circular Quay you can purchase a ferry ride around to the tourist area of Darling Harbour...apart from lots of shops and restaurants there is the Maritime Museum with some warships you can look over and if you want to see Australian Wildlife or sea creatures Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium are in this area. We walked from Circ Quay to Darling and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, Wildlife world and Aquarium

Hope you can see why I am always dismayed that visitors are steered towards the Blue Mountains and miss out of so much more..but its just my opinion as a "local" these are the things I would show my friends visiting from overseas. Sue

Glad to read we covered some of the ´must do´s´last time. Really looking forward to our next trip. We were going for the Blue mountains, but as you say all the tour ops seems to go the same route including a wildlife park, whereas we wanted more of the Blue Mountains only.

OH hasn´t got a head for heights(vertigo) so the Bridge Climb and Centrpoint are not an option .

Thanks so much for the information, if you have any other suggestions that would be lovely. Is Luna Park side of the harbour worth a visit?

Sandy in Spain

Sandy the Luna Park side is pretty residential apart from Taronga zoo..its a fabulous zoo...anyone intending to visit would need to dedicate at least half a day...catch the ferry from Circular Quay and then then the cable car up to the top and walk back down towards the harbour.

All of the harbour is interesting...with an all day pass you could hop on and off ferries all day. Ferries also go to Fort Denison in the harbour which Watsons Bay is nice and theres upmarket shopping in Rose Bay and Double Bay. In the CBD some of the 5 star hotels like the Intercontinental do a decandent and fabulous high tea... Pop down to Chinatown in the city for dinner or yum cha and walk through the Japanese gardens..these areas are all close to Darling Harbour. But you can eat almost any cuisine in Sydney.

Slightly more out of the way activities would be to catch a bus from Manly to Palm Beach and a ferry to have a look at Pittwater on the way over to Patonga...but again the time factor Sydney really deserves at least a week.

If train rides are your thing..I live on the Central Coast another beautiful and scenic area...the train ride to Woy Woy from Central railway is spectacular as it crosses the Hawksbury River and the little riverside villages. About and hour and half each way.

This time of the year whales are migrating up the coast..43 were seen off Sydney just today...in September they migrate in the other direction.

You will notice a slight fixation with the water LOL cant help myself!

@ rugbypopsie. You're doing a great job spruiking Sydney and I agree with every word (and that's coming from a Melburnian!). The Blue Mountains are pretty in good weather but with limited time there are many more worthwhile places to see and experience in and around Sydney.

I just think we should promote the best of our cities..I like Melbourne too..had a great time there in March when I flew down to catch the Dawn Princess back.

Perhaps the moderators could collate some of the information on our capitals so that it can go into the port guides?

Sue

Hunter Valley is quite close to where I live..if you are into wine its a good day...

http://www.winecountry.com.au/things-to-see-do

Might find some useful information here...are you driving yourself...remember we drive on the opposite side of the road, and if you are going sample wines probably better to go on tour :) we cant afford to have our visitors write themself off on our roads.

My email is in my signature..I will answer any questions if I can...

Sue

Sandy the Luna Park side is pretty residential ...A walk across the main deck of the Harbour Bridge is free and you can get some great snaps along the way then walk down to the Jeffrey St or Milson's Point Jetty and catch the ferry back across the harbour. Just gives you another aspect of the city from the other side that includes views of Circular Quay and the Opera House with the City in the background.

The train ride to Woy Woy from Central railway is spectacular as it crosses the Hawksbury River and the little riverside villages. About and hour and half each way. Agreed, this is one of the best train trips around sydney that has spectacular views. You could even go all the way to Newcastle (2.5hrs) - walk around that great city and return after lunch.

This time of the year whales are migrating up the coast..43 were seen off Sydney just today...in September they migrate in the other direction. Am currently sitting at a lovely little beachside suburb named Harbord watching the surf on bright sunny winter's day with outlooks to Manly. There are 14 Whalewatching boats about 1 mile offshore and lots of whales breaching - fabulous. The whales are here only during our winter and spring months.

Lots to do and so little time:)

This time of the year whales are migrating up the coast..43 were seen off Sydney just today...in September they migrate in the other direction. Am currently sitting at a lovely little beachside suburb named Harbord watching the surf on bright sunny winter's day with outlooks to Manly. There are 14 Whalewatching boats about 1 mile offshore and lots of whales breaching - fabulous. The whales are here only during our winter and spring months.

Lots to do and so little time:)

That sounds fabulous, we´ve never been very successful seeing whales, either too early or too late in the season. We´ll be in Sydney from 28 march for a few days, so I guess they´ll be none around then either.

Will try and persuade OH about walking across the Harbour Bridge. We are stay down by the Rocks, do you have a suggestion as to where would be the best place to get onto the Bridge as a pedestrian?

Liking the sound of the train ride more and more, would we pick that up at Circ Quay Station? Could we get tickets on line before we arrive do you know?

Sandy in Spain

That sounds fabulous, we´ve never been very successful seeing whales, either too early or too late in the season. We´ll be in Sydney from 28 march for a few days, so I guess they´ll be none around then either.

Will try and persuade OH about walking across the Harbour Bridge. We are stay down by the Rocks, do you have a suggestion as to where would be the best place to get onto the Bridge as a pedestrian?

Liking the sound of the train ride more and more, would we pick that up at Circ Quay Station? Could we get tickets on line before we arrive do you know?

Sandy in Spain

Hi,

I am arriving back in Sydney on the 28th from my Hawaii cruise..if you make the train ride email me before the 24th February when I leave for Hawaii. Yes you pick up the train from Central...take the city circle train from the Quay up to Central and then go to the country train platforms..trains leave very regularly there is no need to prebook your ticket. If you qualify for a seniors all day excursion ticket its $2.50 AUD each..absolute bargain. Not sure what the deal is for foreign visitors but if you have a seniors pass from your country I think that will be accepted.

Staying in the Rocks area is a great idea there are steps up to the bridge level.

Sue

Hi,

I am arriving back in Sydney on the 28th from my Hawaii cruise..if you make the train ride email me before the 24th February when I leave for Hawaii. Yes you pick up the train from Central...take the city circle train from the Quay up to Central and then go to the country train platforms..trains leave very regularly there is no need to prebook your ticket. If you qualify for a seniors all day excursion ticket its $2.50 AUD each..absolute bargain. Not sure what the deal is for foreign visitors but if you have a seniors pass from your country I think that will be accepted.

Staying in the Rocks area is a great idea there are steps up to the bridge level.

Sue

Thanks Sue, we will be in Sydney 28-31 March 2013

Sandy in Spain

Archived