Restaurant suggestions for Prague (Old Town)

globie

Anyone have some suggestions for Prague dining in Old Town? We will have two free days prior to our cruise and we love to free style. Any ideas out there? We are not particular and not wimpy or meek about trying new experiences. Thanks.

Hi,

I've been to multiple restaurants in my life since I was a child, including 1, 2 & 3 Michelin stars. But on my last trip to Prague last December-11, I had one of the most delicious food I've ever had in my entire life. I had the contemporary Czech dishes: seared foie gras, the veal loin, and the scallops.The restaurant is the Bellevue, just minutes walking distance from the Old Town. If you go, you will remember me & you'll agree with every single word on this message.

Follow the link below.

http://www.bellevuerestaurant.cz/en/chef-and-team/bellevuerestaurant/

BELLEVUE

Smetanovo nábř. 18

Praha 1, 110 00

Czech Republic

Hi,

I've been to multiple restaurants in my life since I was a child, including 1, 2 & 3 Michelin stars. But on my last trip to Prague last December-11, I had one of the most delicious food I've ever had in my entire life. I had the contemporary Czech dishes: seared foie gras, the veal loin, and the scallops.The restaurant is the Bellevue, just minutes walking distance from the Old Town. If you go, you will remember me & you'll agree with every single word on this message.

I am a gourmet type person and really appreciate fine food, but once I went to a place in S.F. that was "touted" and had some great tastes, BUT... each course was a "thimble" of food and when I left I had to go to MacDonalds and get a couple of big macs. Spent about $200 for me and DW at that "touted" restaurant. And $5 at MacDonalds. I cook a lot and understand food (French is my favorite), so I am not just a "glutton." But I am now cautious about "great food" when it's "microscopic" portions. Especially when it costs my 401K to buy. Reason I'm saying this is that I went on Tripadvisor for "Bellevue" and the pictures look as though the shrimp appetizer is "two small shrimp" and the main courses would fit in a 1/2 cup measure. I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs and that would not do... especially for those prices.

Can someone confirm the quantity of these "quality" items available at this restaurant? Are the portions minuscule? Or reasonable? I don't want to spend $200 for 1 cup of food total!

• 2 weeks later...

The Marriott accross the street from the Hilton has a fabulous restaurant. We ate there two nights it was so delicious as was the service and ambiance! My husband had goulash one evening and I had rabbit in a truffle sauce that rivaled any gourmet restaurant in the States.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP: Didn't see when you're going to Prague so this might be late...we ate at Pode Nostrum (literally "under the bridge", clearly the Charles Bridge) and I don't even remember the food, because the atmosphere was so wonderful! Spent my 56th birthday at this restaurant, and they were so fabulous to me!

If you have a nice day, head to the U Prince Hotel (right in the heart of Old Town Square) and take the lift up to the roof terrace. The view overlooks the square and the astronomical clock, and is spectacular. I remember the meal wasn't fantastic, but certainly above average, and the atmosphere was terrific. Make sure you can get a table out on the terrace though.

We stayed at that Marriott mentioned above, and the restaurant was really good! I had read about it in a guide book, and we ended up having more than one meal there. It's really convenient if you're staying in that little hotel strip because it's a bit of a hike back into the old town - not a bad walk, but nice to have a good spot to eat close by.

• 7 months later...

We are leaving in 10 days tobegin our long awaited journey to Prague then down the Main River to Franfurt on the Avalon Visionary. Thanks to all who responded to my query and have a great Christmas! I will try to post frequently as we travel.

---globie

We stayed at the Hilton Old Town. Our AMA host, Adela, had some excellent restaurant suggestions-non-smoking available, reasonable cost, close by: Celnice-Kolkovna (pork knuckle was huge!), right across from the hotel, and to the right; Hibernia (sp?) one block away-very good also; and Cafe Imperial (need reservations, so did not have chance to try it).

Archived