CCL ship seized?

bhanback

Sydney is about 5 hours flight from me and closer to you,but they are 3 hours in time ahead of us so even worse for jet lag.

23 hours is our return flight home with just a short stop in Sydney.

Should have flown via New Zealand and Hawaii!

I am sorry. You guys have a long flight when you want to visit the US

Can the people who were ready to sail sue the people who brought this crazy suit. I thought that Carnival is not Costa - - so why could they sue? This will be very interesting.

I dont know about suing the people who brought the suit. But costa is owned under Carnival. I do have empathy for the people who brought the suit. They just want justice served quickly.

I do have empathy for the people who brought the suit. They just want justice served quickly.

Sounds to me like they just want money. i never understood how a request for monetary compensation makes someone feel better about the loss of a loved one. Tragic unfortunate accident that could have been prevented. lives were lost. i want ten million dollars!! :confused:

Does anyone remeber the BIG RED BOAT cruise line? I was on my first honeymoon on the Disney Wonder when their boats were siezed in Nassau. I saw 2 or 3 of the ships docked because of a bankrupcy suit. Will keep watching.

Sounds to me like they just want money. i never understood how a request for monetary compensation makes someone feel better about the loss of a loved one. Tragic unfortunate accident that could have been prevented. lives were lost. i want ten million dollars!! :confused:

I am not saying they deserve that kind of money, I think that the process is so slow in Italy that they might get something faster this way.

What court is involved with this seizure order? How is this going to affect those of us scheduled to sail on Triumph?

If your sailing tomorrow, your probably just going to have to wait it out till morning. Its hard telling at this point.

It was just a hunch and suspicion and bit late to start on me now after many more facts have been reviled by more knowledgeable posters dont you think?

you should have perhaps posted this many pages ago to get any credibility from your statement, yes?

Den

Hi Den,

I wasn't starting on you. I simply asked why it was suspicious. I was just curious why you thought that. Nothing more.

Sorry I didn't read the whole 8 pages of the thread before I posted about your post on page 2.:)

Bill

It's odd. The court docs look valid (at least as far as my untrained eye can tell) but you would think other news organizations would be picking up a story of this magnitude by now.

I saw John Heald's post, he is mentioning it but in a very low key way. I hope it turns out there is nothing to it, or this is just a legal maneuver on the part of the plaintiffs (with no intention of seizing the ship long term & preventing it from sailing).

If worst comes to worse, my guess is Carnival's legal staff will get the situation under control & the Triumph will sail today as scheduled.

This is all total nonsense. First of all, no lawsuit has been won yet. So how can someone put a claim on a piece of Carnival property when it's not even gone to court yet? And even if it does at some point in the future, doesn't Carnival (or the parent company) have insurance for this type of thing?

Somebody is playing a joke. As you'll soon see. None of this makes any sense whatsoever.

Ok.

I'm not attorney (I just work for them) but a little bit of research has revealed this... http://www.usmarshals.gov/process/admiralty.htm

(can I post a link without getting into trouble?)

If you read under "Proceedings in Rem," it seems that the the warrant is a necessary step to serve the paperwork on a Carnival rep (captain or if a CCL rep is flown in to accept it) to acquire jurisdiction in the TX court. Otherwise, the TX court has zero jurisdiction on this matter seeing as how CCL is not headquartered or officed there.

Still reading and will post anything else that semi-makes sense.

That makes a LOT more sense. They seize the ship, serve the paperwork to the Captain if Carnival doesn't send a rep there, then release the ship. Hopefully, the passengers leaving today will just be a little delayed, not have their vacation cancelled. I thought they were holding it as collateral, which didn't make sense, holding something 40 times worth the amount the lawsuit was seeking.

That makes a LOT more sense. They seize the ship, serve the paperwork to the Captain if Carnival doesn't send a rep there, then release the ship. Hopefully, the passengers leaving today will just be a little delayed, not have their vacation cancelled. I thought they were holding it as collateral, which didn't make sense, holding something 40 times worth the amount the lawsuit was seeking.

Not reading all 11 pages, but what happened to the info on page 3 about the dismissal? Did that change? Is the case dismissed and the warrant invalid?

BTW, I agree that the folks pursuing the suit are in it for the money, or at least their hied ambulance chaser needs to get paid.

Not reading all 11 pages, but what happened to the info on page 3 about the dismissal? Did that change? Is the case dismissed and the warrant invalid?

BTW, I agree that the folks pursuing the suit are in it for the money, or at least their hied ambulance chaser needs to get paid.

From what i can gather through all the legal jargon being brought up it was dismissed and then re opened on 30th, but there seems to be paperwork put forward 2 days before the actual accident according to one poster early in the thread.

From what i can gather through all the legal jargon being brought up it was dismissed and then re opened on 30th, but there seems to be paperwork put forward 2 days before the actual accident according to one poster early in the thread.

I could be mistaken, but that case 2 days before the accident looked to be another civil action totally unrelated to the case against carnival. Wrong court docket number? It listed some poor woman's name & address & I thought it was a job discrimination suit. Post #93 earlier in the thread.

The file date reads 1/11/12 but the Concordia disaster happened on 1/13/12.

That lawsuit doesn't have anything to do with Concordia; the person who posted it works in the judicial system, and they have a special website to search cases. That was the only case s/he could find in Texas with the case number that was stated in the article. It'a not the one being talked about here.

I also thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread it was in relation to a German passenger (female) that died on the Concordia?

Yes. This family is trying to monetize off of their loved ones death, hence why they have filed it in Texas, so they can attempt to get their 'winnings' quickly. They should be ashamed of themselves. If this is true, however, it will likely have been sorted by Carnival before Triumph even docks.

Yes. This family is trying to monetize off of their loved ones death, hence why they have filed it in Texas, so they can attempt to get their 'winnings' quickly. They should be ashamed of themselves. If this is true, however, it will likely have been sorted by Carnival before Triumph even docks.

Winnings? Pathetic post of the day.

If I were to guess, there are 2 things going on:

1. A family holding 2700 passengers hostage so that Carnival will be pressured to settle out of court.

2. They found a judge who wants publicity regardless of how ridiculous this case is

I'm guessing that cooler heads will prevail and it"ll get thrown out today

This makes no sense, why did they seize a Texas port ship? Why that ship? Texas had nothing to do with the crash in Italy. If theyre seizing a ship why not seize one of the European port ships? I feel horrible for the people who are set to sail on the Triumph today if this is true.... OMG

This makes no sense, why did they seize a Texas port ship? Why that ship? Texas had nothing to do with the crash in Italy. If theyre seizing a ship why not seize one of the European port ships? I feel horrible for the people who are set to sail on the Triumph today if this is true.... OMG

The Triumph was selected due do Carnivals alter ego, Utopia Cruises, set up to bypass certain laws.

Archived