CCL ship seized?

bhanback

But why this ship? Why in Texas? They could have held an asset anywhere, my thinking is that some very smart lawyer knew that he could get this Judge in Texas to seize the ship, hence forcing Carnival to pay to release the ship. As far as I know, this is the first ship to be seized as an asset for Carnival/Concordia. Do you know of any others?

The lawsuit has 2 defendants - Utopia, and Carnival plc (Carnival's UK company)

There is exactly one ship that has both of those names on the title.. the Triumph, which happens to be in Texas.

I am sure if both companies shared ownership of a ship in Europe, that is the one they would have gone after.

Please read a little closer. Carnival AND Utopia.

Right? It was right there on the post she responded to.

I wish people would either take the time to read the thread, and if not, which I understand, ask questions instead.

Exactly.

You've got "We got sued for $300,000. Pfft. OKay, pay it! Lets go to lunch!"

and

"Oh, crap. We're paying out millions. Let's make sure this doesn't happen again!"

I dont know if anyone has been paid anything , as of yet. The court system in Italy is very slow. This could take years before they figure out anything.

Actually I have been reading the thread since it was started last night and just decided to post. And even with reading all that, it still doesn't make much sense why one lawyer decided to go renegade and file the suit in Texas, when all the other lawyers have not, including the one that has filed a class action lawsuit. So again, I will give my OPINION that yes, this lawyer seems to be playing a chess game so that his lawsuit gets noticed and taken care of differently than the other lawsuits families are filing.

And again, I will give my OPINION that people in this world are money hungry and out for revenge. This one was a rare and very horrible tragedy, still don't think that the family should be filing this type of lawsuit.

I am willing to bet large sums of money that this isn't the only family that will go after the ship. They are simply the first. The others are class action and with that many people, it takes longer to get things done.

It is safe to assume that more people will be going after the ship.

It was 440 million brand new, these people are holding $10m of its assets. There is plenty to go around.

I dont know if anyone has been paid anything , as of yet. The court system in Italy is very slow. This could take years before they figure out anything.

I meant that this is large corporations mentality.

The lawsuit has 2 defendants - Utopia, and Carnival plc (Carnival's UK company)

There is exactly one ship that has both of those names on the title.. the Triumph, which happens to be in Texas.

I am sure if both companies shared ownership of a ship in Europe, that is the one they would have gone after.

OK so that makes sense about this particular ship, pretty smart of the lawyer though, considering no other plaintiff has taken this route. Again, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I just hope they dont start seizing other ships. Like I said, I may have to rethink my August plans. Not that I think they will cancel the cruise, however if the costs of the suits becomes too oppressive for Carnival, it will be certain to affect their customer service and quality on board their ships.:(

100K for college? You've obviously never put or helped put a child through college. .

Actually we have a child at the University of Louisville right now. Cost? About 8K a year. No, I've never put a child through an Ivy league school, but also know a very GOOD education can be had for WAY less than 100K. Just sayin'.

I am willing to bet large sums of money that this isn't the only family that will go after the ship. They are simply the first. The others are class action and with that many people, it takes longer to get things done.

It is safe to assume that more people will be going after the ship.

It was 440 million brand new, these people are holding $10m of its assets. There is plenty to go around.

People will go after what ever they think they can get. And if it means this type of assest thats what they will do. It will take a while with all of this.

OK so that makes sense about this particular ship, pretty smart of the lawyer though, considering no other plaintiff has taken this route. Again, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I just hope they dont start seizing other ships. Like I said, I may have to rethink my August plans. Not that I think they will cancel the cruise, however if the costs of the suits becomes too oppressive for Carnival, it will be certain to affect their customer service and quality on board their ships.:(

I don't think it will affect them. Arson (CCL heir) is worth 6 BILLION alone, so you can imagine how much CCL is worth. I think they will take their losses and it hopefully won't affect customers much if at all.

It has been said. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over. In fact, one of these pages has in depth conversation, with wording being pulled from the actual court dockets from lego.

I know it has been filed here and I know why. I can in fact read. But....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/01/17/carnival-cruise-contract-poses-barriers-to-legal-claims/

Sounds to me like they just want money. i never understood how a request for monetary compensation makes someone feel better about the loss of a loved one. Tragic unfortunate accident that could have been prevented. lives were lost. i want ten million dollars!! :confused:

Amen. I have always felt the same way.

No,because companies have assest's seized via lawsuits every single day. This happening is just another day in the corporate jungle.

Okay, I have read the entire thread and am still confused.

I 'assume' that the plaintiff resides in Texas.

I think that I understand that to give Texas jurisdiction in a suit against a chosen defendant a ship belonging to the defendant must be arrested.

Why was Utopia chosen as a co-defendant with Carnival? Was it simply to pick a ship that would be in a Texas port? If that is the case, why not pick the Majesty (is that the one coming in tomorrow?) and leave Utopia out of the picture?

Does Utopia have some relationship with Costa that makes it a preferred co-defendant? Is there some advantage to using a small piece of Carnival as a co-defendant?

:confused::confused::confused:

This was just posted on FB by JH:

"Good afternoon, everyone.

A US magistrate in Texas has ordered that the Carnival Triumph be seized today in Galveston in connection to a lawsuit related to the death of a guest who sailed on the Costa Concordia.

Our legal department is working to resolve the matter as expeditiously as possible. Normal operations are proceeding as usual.

We have prepared the following statement and answers to anticipated questions in case you receive inquiries. Please become familiar with it and DO NOT READ to the callers.

We are optimistic this will be resolved and the ship will be able to sail as planned. Guests wishing to cancel will be assessed penalties.

Embarking guests will be given a letter as they arrive at the terminal informing them of the situation.

For obvious reasons I can't say any more than this at the moment . I promise to keep you informed

John"

Oh wow!!! So this one lawsuit may open the doors for alot more if us cruisers dont get on the ship?! Well I dont cruise the Triumph until Thursday but what the heck? I feel like Carnival will come up with something to proceed with cruises as normal. The whole thing is ridiculous!

Its not a joke. There are lots of links and documents being posted on social media that explain this. Apparently the lawyer shopped for a sympethic judge and found one in Galveston. And apparently you can file suit in any district that the company conducts business.

Never thought it was a joke, just strange and something I didn't quite understand as to the how and why. I went to bed last night when this thread was 4 pages, catching up on the reading the other pages this morning. Looking at the Docket and what Lego has posted, Presiding Judge Kenneth Hoyt dismissed the case on 3-28-12, but Referring Judge John Froeschner signed an order on 3-30-12 to hold Triumph. There are still many questions about this whole case, in my mind. Is this a 'power struggle' between the judges or a judge trying to make a name for himself? Will there be counter lawsuits by CCL for lost income or by the PAX for a cancelled cruise (if that happens)and the expense that entails? Why is only one news source picking up the story? Still going to watch this all unfold and hope those that are sailing today actually get out of the harbor. Who knows, maybe similar things happen all the time 'behind the scene' we are unaware of, but with the internet, they are out in the open. Still more questions than answers.

Archived