Snorkeling at Molokini

GorillaPaper

We are planning a cruise on POA next February and starting to look at planning our excursions. I wanted to do a snorkeling trip and was looking at the Molokini trip. I read a few posts here that seemed to indicate that this would be a very early morning trip and that the water could be pretty choppy. Can anyone verify that information? DH isn't very good with snorkeling and will not have an enjoyable time if the water is rough so I may have to rethink this option.

thanks for your help!

I am not sure what needs to be verified. I am one of many posters who have said earlier snorkeling is better. As the day progresses, the wind increases, and that area becomes choppy. As a result, most, but not all, Molokini trips depart by 9am, if not earlier.

I went out there three times, during my 2/12 trip. It is a superb snorkel location. In Feb, it's a whale watch too.

You are on a boat- water moves, no way to predict how "choppy" even on your cruiseship.

Thank you for your input.

I understand the trips leave early. Yes, water does move. It isn't so bad when you are on a ship, but for DH who is not a strong swimmer, it makes snorkeling for him basically impossible and that means it is not an enjoyable time for him. Doesn't bother me as much, but we are all different...I was just trying to get a feel from others experiences as to what we might expect during February. Realizing that water can change at any time and what others might experience or not could be different, I was just trying to get a feel. I wasn't looking for the word in stone...:)

This is al deep water, with some roughness meaning you can't get too close to the edge. Same, if you happen to get a tour which includes Turtle Town snorkeling, water is deep, can hit some current.

Why not get him a floater?? Sometimes, people also stay on the boat. Or split up.

I'm going to consider splitting up as its a somewhat costly excursion for him to go with and not actually snorkel or try and give up. The other option I was thinking was doing a beach day in Maui and renting snorkel gear where he can do it in shallow water until he gets comfortable. Not sure if we would see much though. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks for the input.

I'm going to consider splitting up as its a somewhat costly excursion for him to go with and not actually snorkel or try and give up. The other option I was thinking was doing a beach day in Maui and renting snorkel gear where he can do it in shallow water until he gets comfortable. Not sure if we would see much though. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks for the input.

Are you going to have a car? There are some good shore snorkel areas, but my favorites require good snorkel skills.

I booked 3 trips to Molokini this past Feb with Boss Frog, with decent rates.

I did Molokini snorkel in 2007. It wasn't that great for me although I enjoyed the 2nd stop (turtle location) much better. Water was murkier but lots more coral & fish to see. Visibility better at Molokini but not much to see in my opinion. If you do the morning snorkel, water should be fine. Water gets rough & choppy in the afternoon on the boat ride back to Maui so I wouldn't attempt an afternoon snorkel. He probably would do fine with a morning snorkel excursion. Depending on the catamaran you choose, they usually have floating aids with them such as noodles, lifevests, boogie boards etc.

Are you going to have a car? There are some good shore snorkel areas, but my favorites require good snorkel skills.

I booked 3 trips to Molokini this past Feb with Boss Frog, with decent rates.

Budget Queen...where are your locations? We are avid snorklers and will have all our own gear and a rental car. We were thinking about Ahihi Bay...suggestions?

Budget Queen...where are your locations? We are avid snorklers and will have all our own gear and a rental car. We were thinking about Ahihi Bay...suggestions?

I was at Ahihi, was OK, the shoreline is filthy however, loaded with litter, a lot of "campers" were there (homeless?) I also did Five Caves, just prior, very good. lots of turtles and coral, saw a white tipped reef shark, third trip out. :)

But I really like Makuleia' Bay, and Honolu'a. Loads of fish, coral and some turtles. A little cleaner.

I was at Ahihi, was OK, the shoreline is filthy however, loaded with litter, a lot of "campers" were there (homeless?) I also did Five Caves, just prior, very good. lots of turtles and coral, saw a white tipped reef shark, third trip out. :)

But I really like Makuleia' Bay, and Honolu'a. Loads of fish, coral and some turtles. A little cleaner.

Thanks for the info, that is what i needed! We will try one of those locations in lieu of Ahihi.

• 2 months later...

I did Molokini last month on the NCL tour -- they really do have lots of "stuff" for novice swimmer - float belts, noodles, etc. to keep them afloat so they can just put their faces in. I would say a good 10-15 people on our cruise took advantage of those fully, and even more took a noodle. There are guides in the water with you in kayaks to make sure you are all okay, and can reach you quickly if you need help. I did see one gentleman who wasn't enjoying himself and the guide just told him to grab a rope on her kayak and she whisked him right back to the boat in seconds.

The turtle town area was pretty choppy, I'd say. I'm a strong swimmer and I had to pretty much swim constantly just to stay in one place -- stop too long to admire a particular fish and the current would carry you back 20 feet. So I don't think that would be as much fun for a novice.

Your best bet is probably to get some snorkel gear ahead of time and teach him to breathe rhythmically with it before he goes, and try a snorkel excursion where he can walk in and out. Once you set up a breathing rhythm and just keep to it, he can forget about it and just concentrate on what he's looking at. Takes people different amounts of time to pick it up.

We are planning a cruise on POA next February and starting to look at planning our excursions. I wanted to do a snorkeling trip and was looking at the Molokini trip. I read a few posts here that seemed to indicate that this would be a very early morning trip and that the water could be pretty choppy. Can anyone verify that information? DH isn't very good with snorkeling and will not have an enjoyable time if the water is rough so I may have to rethink this option.

thanks for your help!

I've snorkeled at Molokini (and Turtle Arches) twice in the month of November through the Pacific Whale Foundation's trips, and it wasn't choppy at all. The ship we were on had plenty of noodles and life vests for anyone who wanted to use them - very safe and fun. :)

The snorkeling trips to Molokini provide fair to poor snorkeling. The best diving is on the outside of the crater. Unfortunately, you need scuba to do that. Not many fish on the inside of the crater where all the snorkel boats go.

I would suggest an alternative, since one of you are apparently not real excited about small boats and snorkelling. Go to the Maui Ocean Center. This is a fantastic aquarium. You will see lots more different fish, there will be people there to answer questions, and you stay on dry land. We have been there lots of times, spectacular.

It is easy to get to by rental car, but if that is not an option you can take a bus. It is about a 2 block walk to the nearest bus stop to the port. This takes you to the mall where you transfer to the bus that stops at the aquarium. Cost is minimal. You can also book a shore excursion bus that will drop you at the aquarium. Lots more expensive, but more convenient.

• 4 months later...

Thinking of doing the Molokini Crater and the Turtle Arches snorkel trip with NCL. I've looked at a couple of other tours here and they offer large catamarans and an open bar (beer, mai tais, wine), breakfast and lunch. Sounds very comfortable and enjoyable.

What does NCL offer? What kind of boat/how comfortable for those of us that don't snorkle much? Is it very crowded? Do they offer open bar? What kind of food do they offer for lunch? Thanks. My dh loves to snorkle but I'm a novice and will probably spend more time lazing on the boat if it is comfortable enough.:p

I went to a Molokini diving trip on Mon. Aug. 27. It was very early (ungodly early for me), so I had to wake up and drove down by myself (while my wife sleep on the POA). It was with Makena Coast Diver's boat that we went out on. There were only 4 divers and 2 DMs, so it was quite good for us.

I asked if we could do the backwall. Our DM said we actually only have 3 divers (the other one is doing intro with the other DM), and asked for our experience. We were all experienced, so he said yes. It turned out we tied up at the "edge". Don't have my dive log with me, but something like reef's end. It's at the edge of the inside crater. From there we swim toward the backwall. It was an excellent dive.

For our second dive, usually they take people to Turtle's Cave. But I asked if we can do it inside the crater. The answer was yes, so we stayed there. By that time there were several other boats tied up there. Most were snorkel boats, several big cats. But the water was a bit choppy, maybe 3-4' waves. I asked the DMs if the water is usually like this. They said it's choppier than usual, and not too easy for snorkeling.

We also saw a big cat coming, think it was FairWind. They came, looked, and then left. The DM said that cat saw the water being choppy, and decided it was not that good for snorkeling, so they went looking for another spot. Those other boats that were there, were still there by the time we got in the water for the second dive.

The second dive wasn't as good as the first, but still pretty good. Mostly hard corals. I also saw some corals spawning. It was quite neat. Not as many schools of fish as in the backwall. Saw some trumpet fish.

Oh, the DM told us we'll be looking for a great white shark. We were excited, then he explained it's a small 4' white tip reef shark that usually hides under a ridge. We did find it. We also saw a different white tip shark. So it was good we actually got to see 2 sharks in one dive.

The Molokini Crater has quite good snorkeling. It also has a unique "signature" topside view. A snorkeling trip there is not cheap. But if you are in Maui, it's probably worth taking such a trip there, at least you can say you went there and get to see the moon shaped remaining crater.

For divers, if you can go to the backwall, it's great. Inside the crater, it's a decent shallow (up to 40') dive. Not bad for Hawaii. Not as good as Kona, but better than Oahu diving.

We LOVED our snorkel trip with Trilogy a few weeks ago. There were loads of fish, and it didn't seem "crowded." We saw many turtles at the second snorkel area. We were on the 8 a.m. trip, and it didn't seem too early. Wonderful day.

Archived