New Zealand private tours

If you're pushed for time instead of walking up Mount Maunganui at Tauranga Port (approx 1hr 20mins return), there is a lovely, easy walk around the base of the mountain which takes approx. 40mins.

We have been to Rotorua before and would like to do something interesting whilst in Tauranga. If we did the walk up to Mount Maunganui, what else could we do for the rest of the day. We will be on the Solstice in March and we arrrive into Tauranga Port at 8am and depart at 6pm.

I had thought about hiring a car and driving to Lake Taupo, but we will have been driving for 10 days in the South Island and I feel that we would like to do something other than driving if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jennie

We have been to Rotorua before and would like to do something interesting whilst in Tauranga. If we did the walk up to Mount Maunganui, what else could we do for the rest of the day. We will be on the Solstice in March and we arrrive into Tauranga Port at 8am and depart at 6pm.

I had thought about hiring a car and driving to Lake Taupo, but we will have been driving for 10 days in the South Island and I feel that we would like to do something other than driving if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.Jennie

Just another thought Jennie.

If you were to hire a car, Matamata is not far away. Lovely drive over the Kaimai Ranges then down into very rich and fertile farmland. Also home to where LOTR was filmed.

http://www.matamatanz.co.nz/home

David,

Thanks for all that information which I am printing out now. I thought about a car but we will have been in one for 10 days just before the cruise and thought that walking would be a change though if the weather is wet, we would have to rethink.

Anyhow, I will keep the car in mind and look at the drive to Matamata.

I have just discovered the train trip to Taieri Gorge near Dunedin. Is it worth the trip and also can we do it on our own? Our ship, the Solstice, will be in port from 7am until 5pm. The ship wants $193AUD each for the excursion and according to the website, the train only costs around $80NZ per person. From what I can see, the train leaves Dunedin at 9.30am and returns at 1.30pm which leaves time to walk around the city.

Jennie

On our recent Australia/new Zealand trip our group of 10 booked the following:

Port Chalmers/Dunedin: had reserved train for Taeiri Gorge trip, but we were delayed getting into port due to a medical emergency while in the Sounds- changed our arrangements to coach trip up to Pukerangi to catch the train back to Dunedin station - actually worked out better as the coach went through different landscape... After - a one hour city was included. The driver was kind enough to drop us off at Olveston mansion, where we had reserved a private tour. The driver then offered to pick us up from the mansion and bring us back to port, stopping at the Botanical Gardens for a walk through and then taking a more scenic high road back to port. Tthe cost for this return was the same as the shuttle cost, but we avoided the long queues in

the city center for the ship's transfer. Also, the bus capacity was approx. 18

and we were the only ones on the return, initially we were 14 going out to

meet the train.

Pict .

I would like to pick your brain on your Taeiri Gorge Trip if you don't mind. How far out did you book your train trip and did you do it directly with the railways? I have just looked at the cost of the excursion with Celebrity and it is $193AUD p.p. whereas if we do it ourselves, it is only $84NZ which is under $80AUD p.p. so it makes sense to do it on our own. We will be in Dunedin from 7am until 5pm so we have plenty of time. If you book a group, say 10 people, do you save anything overall and did you have to pay upfront?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jennie

David,

Thanks for all that information which I am printing out now. I thought about a car but we will have been in one for 10 days just before the cruise and thought that walking would be a change though if the weather is wet, we would have to rethink.

Anyhow, I will keep the car in mind and look at the drive to Matamata.

I have just discovered the train trip to Taieri Gorge near Dunedin. Is it worth the trip and also can we do it on our own? Our ship, the Solstice, will be in port from 7am until 5pm. The ship wants $193AUD each for the excursion and according to the website, the train only costs around $80NZ per person. From what I can see, the train leaves Dunedin at 9.30am and returns at 1.30pm which leaves time to walk around the city.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I live in Matamata which is approx 45 mins drive from the Tauranga Port. Good roads so no worries there. We are a sleepy town in the centre of the Waikato district. You will be driving over the Kaimai ranges to get here at the top is an amazing lookout that allows you to see across the area.

We are most famous for our other adopted name of Hobbiton as this is where the Lord of the Rings filming has taken place over the last few years. Mainly the Hobbit village, which is a film set that you can visit with all the set still in tact.

http://www.hobbitontours.com/

This link will give you all the information that you will need. Tours run every day. Self drive or you can arrange for them to pick you up at the Dock all the information is on the site.

Hope this helps :)

David,

Jennie

Hello there, we have just come back from NZ and booked the train trip direct over the internet - very easy process and you do not have to pay up front.

Go to their website www.taieri.co.nz and there will be a timetable and booking facility on that. You will get a confirmation email. But just in case there email is reserve@taieri.co.nz Some days the train extends the journey to Middlemarch. On other days there is an alternative journey along the coast called The Seasider. Both are spectacular.

No rush to get to the station as they have a special bus that leaves at 8.45am from the pier (next to the information site [-i-site] on the pier).

It's $5 for the ride to the station and they give you the option to do a wonderful town tour fo $20 after the train trip, you just walk 2 blocks up the street to the info centre in town for the bus.

Don't take the shuttle buses and don't do the ship's tour - too expensive for the same trip with a boxed lunch and glass of wine. There is a little cafe on the train for pies/coffee/drinks etc.

Any questions please ask away.

Hugh

cassamandra,

Thanks so much for all that information. It is exactly what I wanted to know. We will be on the Solstice and the price for their excursion is $193AUD p.p. I think I saw on the website for the train that it would cost around $84NZ p.p. which is a huge saving even if we include the $20 for the tour of Dunedin city.

Did you organize a group or did you just go on your own?

Jennie

We did not book anything ahead, just picked up tours on the pier or in the information center. This worked out fine.

Bay of Islands: The Waitangi Treaty Grounds were in walking distance to the ship's tender (Sea Princess, February 2012). There was also a free shuttle bus. It reained so hard that I do not remember whether tours were offered in the information center.

Auckland: We walked the city on our own.

Tauranga: Had a rental car reservation, saw an information center with tours at the end of pier.

Napier: free shuttle bus into town, tours offered at shuttle bus stop

Wellington: Relatives picked us up.

Akaroa: Picked up a great nature tour on the pier, paid with credit card in information booth

Dunedin: took low cost shuttle bus into town, tours were offered from info booth on the pier. The train to the gorge was waiting pier side. The railway station in town had a sign: no trains today!

cassamandra,

Thanks so much for all that information. It is exactly what I wanted to know. We will be on the Solstice and the price for their excursion is $193AUD p.p. I think I saw on the website for the train that it would cost around $84NZ p.p. which is a huge saving even if we include the $20 for the tour of Dunedin city.

Jennie

Hi again, we booked individually but if you book as a group of 10 or more you can get a 10% discount and be seated in the same carriage.

Don't worry about "No trains today" on above post because your email is you confirmation and they will tell you if the ship has booked both trains. You can also ask them for reassurance.

This will only happen if 2 ships are in town as they have stopped the ships from booking 2 trains each - locals were not happy.

cassamandra,

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I Have already made contact with Taieri Gorge Train operators and there will be 2 ships in when we dock therefore all carriages are taken up by the ships. They informed me we have to book through Celebrity. The excursion includes lunch, morning tea and drinks, as well as pick and drop off from ship.

I agree there is a large difference in price but we have no option if we wish to do this trip.:(

Patrice.

Cassamandra,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will post this trip on our Roll Call and will see if anyone else is interested coming with us. It sounds a wonderful trip and I am looking forward to doing it.

I have just found that the Pacific Pearl will be in Dunedin when we are there. What do we need to do to make sure we are on the train?

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I Have already made contact with Taieri Gorge Train operators and there will be 2 ships in when we dock therefore all carriages are taken up by the ships. They informed me we have to book through Celebrity. The excursion includes lunch, morning tea and drinks, as well as pick and drop off from ship.

I agree there is a large difference in price but we have no option if we wish to do this trip.:(

Patrice.

Patrice,

That is such a disappointment. I think there is only the Pacific Pearl in as well as the Soltice but of course my information could be incorrect. I want to do this trip so it looks as though we have to go with the ship. When we book the excursion, do we pay for it now or does it go on to our shipboard account? We haven't sailed with Celebrity before, only with Azamara so I am learning as I am going along.

Jennie

Patrice,

Thanks for that information. I am at a loss about the Drink packages. I have been reading the Celebrity Board and cannot make head or tail of them! They are so different from HAL and Princess.

Jennie

Yes Jennie, the drink package is expensive, but we just looked at that today and think we will purchase it as then we do not have to be concerned with what we consume onboard. The premium works out to be approx $1500 for the 2 of us. The premium allows alcoholic drinks up to $12 (which will cover cocktails that may not be covered in the classic), all specialty coffees, fresh juice and premium waters. If any drinks go over the max price with premium you only pay the difference, but with classic you pay for the whole cost. Hope this helps or we can discuss further on our roll call.

Patrice.

Hi Jennie,

Patrice.

Cassamandra,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will post this trip on our Roll Call and will see if anyone else is interested coming with us. It sounds a wonderful trip and I am looking forward to doing it.

I have just found that the Pacific Pearl will be in Dunedin when we are there. What do we need to do to make sure we are on the train?

Jennie

Looks like your hands are tied if both ships are in town - there are only 2 docks and 2 trains. I would still email them and see what they say. It's a bugger when the ships ambush all the tourist facilities and then charge whatever they want because they have the monopoly. I feel sorry for people with families.

The ships train journey commences from right next to the ship. You may have to bit the bullit on this one.

Hugh and Chris,

I emailed the Train Company yesterday and am now waiting to hear what they have to say. We haven't cruised with Celebrity before and are finding their prices for extras to be exhorbitant, including drinks! We will do the train excursion with them as that is the one excursion we really want to do but in the other ports we are doing everything on our own.

Jennie

Yes Jennie, the drink package is expensive, but we just looked at that today and think we will purchase it as then we do not have to be concerned with what we consume onboard. The premium works out to be approx $1500 for the 2 of us. The premium allows alcoholic drinks up to $12 (which will cover cocktails that may not be covered in the classic), all specialty coffees, fresh juice and premium waters. If any drinks go over the max price with premium you only pay the difference, but with classic you pay for the whole cost. Hope this helps or we can discuss further on our roll call.

Patrice.

Patrice,

Thanks for that. I will not mention this topic again as I have found out all I needed to know. I too have sent an email to the train just in case they made a mistake with the amount of ships in Dunedin on the day we are there!

Jennie

Patrice,

Thanks for that. I will not mention this topic again as I have found out all I needed to know. I too have sent an email to the train just in case they made a mistake with the amount of ships in Dunedin on the day we are there!

Jennie

I will certainly be interested in your reply as I would definitely done this trip if I could have booked privately.

Patrice,

Here is the reply I received this morning from the Train in Dunedin.

Hi Jennifer,

As we have 2 large cruise ships in the city on this day and with the Taieri Gorge train trip being the most popular attraction in New Zealand for cruise ship visitors it is not possible to do the trip privately on this day.

The 2 ships want every seat that we have and will sell out and have long waitlists.

There will still be seats left at this early stage but we recommend that you book with the shipping liner as soon as possible as most on the ship want to take this shore excursion.

Note that the shore excursion costs more that our normal trips as it includes pickup and dropoff from the wharf plus a meal plus morning tea plus unlimited wines and beers and drinks plus table service plus everything organised for you.

Cruise ships usually find that if customers take only 1 shore excursion in New Zealand they take this one.

Kind regards,

Murray

We are still going to do the trip but of course it has to be with Celebrity.

Jennie

Have a wonderful cruise everyone. If it's any consolation the train price with RCCL was US$199 ($159 child) and $232 if town tour was included. Ask them if you can get get off at the station on the return and do a local town tour privately from the i-centre.

As far as drinks are concerned we had a wine packagee, soft drink package and water package biut not an all inclusive 0ne. I think at $750 each you would be on a fluids only diet:eek:. Max price of any one drink on RCCL was about $8. Half price during happy hour. A 10 bottle wine package worked out to $28 per bottle v $35.

I would be inclined to wait with the drinks packages until you got on board and sussed things out.

Archived